Movies you love but everyone else hates

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Movies you love but everyone else hates

Post by Big Disney Fan »

This is a flip-side to another thread I posted here: http://www.dvdizzy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=32664.

In this case, are there movies out there that is more or less disliked by others, but liked by you? Once again, remember, this is all personal opinion.

With that said, one movie I like, but others don't, is "1941". It's not that well-done, granted, and it's not entirely accurate, but I do like the setup of 1940s L.A., as well as a moment where Robert Stack goes to a movie theater that plays "Dumbo".

Anyway, that's just one example of mine. Do you have some of your own?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Movies you love but everyone else hates

Post by blackcauldron85 »

As far as Disney goes, The Black Cauldron, Dinosaur, Home on the Range, Chicken Little, Treasure Planet. I know that these movies get poo-poo'd, but I always enjoy watching them. HotR & CL aren't my favorite Disney films by any means, but I think that they both have a lot of heart, and I think the humor in them (which I find funny) turns people off, since it's not the usual Disney humor.

It's not a hated movie, but a lot of people don't like Australia (Nicole Kidman, Hugh Jackman). I have always adored this movie- it always makes me cry. Drover and Sarah Ashley are a believable pair, and they become like a family, and they have an amazing adventure together, and it's obviously a beautiful movie. I just love it.

Pearl Harbor. So many people don't like this movie, but it is my favorite live-action, non-Disney-branded film. I love the love triangle, I like historical fiction anyway, it's exciting and romantic, and I just love it.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

Another one I like, or at least don't hate, is "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull". Granted, it's not the best Indiana Jones movie ever (I'm torn between either "Raiders of the Lost Ark" or "The Last Crusade" there), but it's not the worst one, either. The worst, I think, is "Temple of Doom", which is just so dark and so gruesome, even for an Indy movie, not to mention full of characters with obnoxious voices.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Brilliant thread, OP! Oh, this is going to be very easy!

Bad Boys 2.
The Ice Age sequels (at least the second and third film)
The Cars triology.
The Legend of Tarzan (2016).
Tomb Raider (2018)
Rampage.
Dinosaur (2000).
Coyote Ugly
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

Brave
Cars 1 and 3
The Good Dinosaur
Home on the Range ? (okay, I don't love it, but never considered it such a terrible movie)
Tomb Raider
Warcraft
The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Alice Through the Looking Glass (I agree the first movie is bad, but enjoyed this one)
Also, I enjoy DC movies far more than Marvel's...
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Raf wrote:Brave
I was going to put Brave on the list, but my impression is that it has it's slight fanbase, regardless of it's haters. And yes, Brave is flawed, but I overall liked the film, despite that it's faults are hampering.
Home on the Range ? (okay, I don't love it, but never considered it such a terrible movie)
Agreed. I never went gaga for it, but I enjoyed it for what it was and thought it was good fun.
Alice Through the Looking Glass (I agree the first movie is bad, but enjoyed this one)
Oh, I'm the opposite, I liked the first movie, but disliked the second one. And as with HOMR, I didn't exactly love the first movie, but I thought it was fine enough and didn't deserve the hate.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I just saw "Show Dogs", and it wasn't really that bad.
Big Disney Fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Big Disney Fan »

I just saw "The Grinch", and I thought it wasn't that bad. It's still not as good as the classic cartoon by Chuck Jones, but it's far better than that live-action version by Ron Howard and featuring Jim Carrey.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Treasure Planet and John Carter both come to mind. Both were sci-fi films that were mismarketed and were box office disasters.
Big Disney Fan wrote:I just saw "The Grinch", and I thought it wasn't that bad. It's still not as good as the classic cartoon by Chuck Jones, but it's far better than that live-action version by Ron Howard and featuring Jim Carrey.
I enjoyed it as well. It's been a while since I've seen the live-action one so I should watch that again soon to compare it with.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey