DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:45 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2789
Location: Any Disney park you choose
I don't have a Blu-Ray player, but I'm thinking that one of these days, I will probably need to upgrade. But I'm not particularly eager to redo my whole movie collection over again for the sake of a different technology. I'm told that DVDs can work in Blu-Ray players. However, I have trouble believing this, because I have very little knowledge about the technology.

I took a sample DVD with me to a few spots that sold Blu-Rays, such as Best Buy and Fry's, as a test. But none of those places were able to allow me to test it out and only claimed that DVDs would work on a Blu-Ray (but not the other way around). I felt like I had no choice but to take this on faith. I also tried doing searches for this online, but all I got back were tidbits asking whether or not they would work, not HOW they would work. The bottom line is, I would like to have some proof that it would work.

I do have a neighbor who has a Blu-Ray, but I'm hesitant about asking to try this out, not only because that means going into a house I almost have never been in, but also the threat of the player being wrecked if for some reason it didn't work.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:53 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Utah
DVDs are playable in BluRay players. All I have now is a BluRay Player and I use it to play my DVDs and BluRay's.

_________________
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:55 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 12443
Location: Somewhere in Time and Space
Magic.

Albert

_________________
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 6:42 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 3:27 pm
Posts: 2455
Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so yes, they do play DVDs.

_________________
"If your life had a face, I would punch it." - Kim Pine, Scott Pilgrim vs. The World


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:04 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2789
Location: Any Disney park you choose
estefan wrote:
Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so yes, they do play DVDs.


Yes, I know I was told that they would play DVDs, but what I want to know is HOW. I took the DVD in question to certain places, hoping to verify this. That's what I want to do, is to verify the notion of backward compatibility.

I tried to do searches online, but all I found were tidbits about how to make DVD players forward compatible with Blu-Ray discs. That's not what I'm trying to find.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:08 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 5189
Location: Ohio, United States of America
Big Disney Fan wrote:
estefan wrote:
Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so yes, they do play DVDs.


Yes, I know I was told that they would play DVDs, but what I want to know is HOW. I took the DVD in question to certain places, hoping to verify this. That's what I want to do, is to verify the notion of backward compatibility.

I tried to do searches online, but all I found were tidbits about how to make DVD players forward compatible with Blu-Ray discs. That's not what I'm trying to find.


The blue laser beam that reads Blu-ray discs can also read DVDs (which are normally read with a red laser beam in DVD players).

_________________
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:03 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 12443
Location: Somewhere in Time and Space
TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
Big Disney Fan wrote:
estefan wrote:
Blu-Ray players are backwards compatible, so yes, they do play DVDs.


Yes, I know I was told that they would play DVDs, but what I want to know is HOW. I took the DVD in question to certain places, hoping to verify this. That's what I want to do, is to verify the notion of backward compatibility.

I tried to do searches online, but all I found were tidbits about how to make DVD players forward compatible with Blu-Ray discs. That's not what I'm trying to find.


The blue laser beam that reads Blu-ray discs can also read DVDs (which are normally read with a red laser beam in DVD players).

Now I feel like the next question will be about how the blue laser beam won't damage the DVD, or if one can tell that it's actually blue (!).

This whole things feels like If You Give A Mouse A Cookie.

"If you give a mouse a Blu-Ray player, he's going to ask if it can still play DVDs. When you tell him that it's backwards compatible and can play them, he'll probably ask for if he can try a DVD on a Blu-Ray player. When you let him play that DVD, he'll probably ask you if the DVD will work on all Blu-Ray players. When he tries it on another Blu-Ray player, he'll ask if it's the same for a different DVD. Then he'll want to try that DVD on the first Blu-Ray player he used before.

When he tries the new DVD on the first Blu-Ray player, he might notice it loads differently. So he'll probably ask for a new copy of that DVD. When he's finished testing this third DVD, he'll want to try it on the other Blu-Ray players again. He'll try the second Blu-Ray player he used. He might get carried away and try every Blu-Ray player in the store. He may even end up trying every DVD as well!

When he's done, he'll probably want to actually watch a DVD. You'll have to fix up a little viewing area for him with an armchair and a bowl of popcorn. He'll sit down, make himself comfortable, and start munching on the popcorn. He'll probably ask you to pick a new DVD for him. So you'll select for him a DVD from your collection, and he'll ask to see if it works on the other Blu-Ray player. When he tries it on the other Blu-Ray player, he'll get doubtful that it will work on every one.

He'll ask for a do-it-yourself Blu-Ray player. He'll construct the Blu-Ray player. When the Blu-Ray player is finished, he'll want to test the machine with a DVD. Then he'll want to test the machine with a Blu-Ray. Which means he can finally upgrade his whole collection. So he'll buy them all on Blu-Ray. As he gets ready to watch a Blu-Ray, he'll see an ad for new 4K Blu-Ray players.

So... he'll ask for a 4K Blu-Ray player.

And chances are, if you give a mouse a 4K Blu-Ray player, he's going to ask if it can still play Blu-Rays.

Albert

_________________
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:54 am 
Online
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 11865
^ :lol:

Oh...haha, I clicked on the FAQ link, and #5, the question about Will Blu-ray players play Cds and Dvds.. the answer isn't popping up. We will never know... :o

Will the 4k Blu-ray players also be backwards-compatible?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 1:50 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2789
Location: Any Disney park you choose
Okay, it seems as though I'm not asking the right question, so here's another one...

Are there any videos out there (say, on YouTube) that show people using DVDs in Blu-Ray players? And not Blu-Rays in DVD players?

And by the way, 4k and laser beams were never part of my question, either. One more thing, if a DVD DOES work on one Blu-Ray player, it should work on all of them. That much is pretty certain.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:36 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Utah
Big Disney Fan wrote:
Okay, it seems as though I'm not asking the right question, so here's another one...

Are there any videos out there (say, on YouTube) that show people using DVDs in Blu-Ray players? And not Blu-Rays in DVD players?

And by the way, 4k and laser beams were never part of my question, either. One more thing, if a DVD DOES work on one Blu-Ray player, it should work on all of them. That much is pretty certain.


I don't mean this rudely but do you have Aspergers or Autism?

_________________
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:42 pm 
Offline
Member

Joined: Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:32 pm
Posts: 35
blackcauldron85 wrote:
^ :lol:

Oh...haha, I clicked on the FAQ link, and #5, the question about Will Blu-ray players play Cds and Dvds.. the answer isn't popping up. We will never know... :o

Will the 4k Blu-ray players also be backwards-compatible?



4k players WILL be able to play blu-ray discs but every 4k player will NOT be required to support dvds.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:34 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition

Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:30 pm
Posts: 5189
Location: Ohio, United States of America
Big Disney Fan wrote:
And by the way, 4k and laser beams were never part of my question, either.


Well, laser beams answer your question of HOW the compatibility works.

I think you should just maybe trust us on this. DVDs work on Blu-ray players. They just do. Back in 2007/2008, when Blu-ray players started popping up, it was repeatedly stated that DVDs will work on Blu-ray players, but that Blu-ray discs will not work on DVD players. It's just true. I don't know what more any of us can say.

_________________
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 7:45 pm 
Online
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 17, 2006 9:54 am
Posts: 11865
gamer51 wrote:
4k players WILL be able to play blu-ray discs but every 4k player will NOT be required to support dvds.


Good to know- thank you!! :)


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Oct 17, 2015 10:45 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8831
Location: America
You know Big Disney Fan, you could always ask someone you know or someone in a store to demonstrate putting a DVD into a blu-ray player for you, and see for yourself that it works. I think a friend or neighbor would be able to.

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:23 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2789
Location: Any Disney park you choose
Disney Duster wrote:
You know Big Disney Fan, you could always ask someone you know or someone in a store to demonstrate putting a DVD into a blu-ray player for you, and see for yourself that it works. I think a friend or neighbor would be able to.


I already tried to take a DVD into a store for a demonstration (hence, my bringing up Fry's and Best Buy), but the people working there said that they could not do anything like that. All they said was that DVDs would work on Blu-Ray players, but not Blu-Rays on DVD players. I don't know of any other stores in my area that would do that. If Fry's and Best Buy don't do it, I'm fairly certain that Target and Walmart wouldn't either.

Incidentally, a neighbor of mine does have a Blu-Ray player, but I've hardly ever been in their house before, and I'm hesitant about asking because I'm worried they'll say no. And even if they did say yes, I'm concerned about the player breaking thanks to me.

Disney Guru wrote:
I don't mean this rudely but do you have Aspergers or Autism?


Yes, I do have Aspergers.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:13 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2004 8:02 pm
Posts: 12443
Location: Somewhere in Time and Space


Two seconds to find on YouTube.

Honestly.

Albert (who likes that the tutorial uses "Dynasty" as the test disc.)

_________________
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:09 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:02 am
Posts: 8831
Location: America
Big Disney Fan wrote:
Incidentally, a neighbor of mine does have a Blu-Ray player, but I've hardly ever been in their house before, and I'm hesitant about asking because I'm worried they'll say no. And even if they did say yes, I'm concerned about the player breaking thanks to me.

If you ask your neighbor, I'm sure that he will not be afraid of putting your or his own DVD into the blu-ray player. Why not try him?

Also see Escapay's video he posted.

Big Disney Fan wrote:
Yes, I do have Aspergers.

Oh, I have it to, but live with my parents. Do you live on your own?

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 1:01 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2789
Location: Any Disney park you choose
Disney Duster wrote:
If you ask your neighbor, I'm sure that he will not be afraid of putting your or his own DVD into the blu-ray player. Why not try him?


Actually, the neighbor is a woman.

Big Disney Fan wrote:
Yes, I do have Aspergers.

Oh, I have it to, but live with my parents. Do you live on your own?[/quote]

I live with my parents, too. That's another reason for my hesitation.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 6:18 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 20, 2003 8:31 pm
Posts: 3292
Location: Utah
Big Disney Fan wrote:
Disney Duster wrote:
If you ask your neighbor, I'm sure that he will not be afraid of putting your or his own DVD into the blu-ray player. Why not try him?


Actually, the neighbor is a woman.

Big Disney Fan wrote:
Yes, I do have Aspergers.

Oh, I have it to, but live with my parents. Do you live on your own?


I live with my parents, too. That's another reason for my hesitation.[/quote]

DVDs work on Blu-Ray players you need to accept that fact. If you can you should definitely upgrade to a Blu-Ray player you'll love it :)

_________________
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2015 10:15 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 30, 2006 2:28 am
Posts: 2789
Location: Any Disney park you choose
Disney Guru wrote:
DVDs work on Blu-Ray players you need to accept that fact. If you can you should definitely upgrade to a Blu-Ray player you'll love it :)


The thing is, I just wanted verification. That's what my father used to say, "Trust, but verify."

And no offense, but that video by Escapay apparently is not from around here; I think it's from England or Australia, both of which have different regional coding on them, not even related to each other.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group