Scream Queens

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Scream Queens

Post by Disney's Divinity »

A horror-comedy anthology series, with the first season being set in a sorority house with a cast that includes Emma Roberts, Jamie Lee Curtis, Lea Michele, Abigail Breslin, Keke Palmer, Niecy Nash, Roger Bart, Nick Jonas, and Ariana Grande, among others who I don't know right off.

I don't expect to love this, but it looks like it'll be good enough to entertain one hour every week. Funny if Ariana dies the first episode. :lol: Anyone else planning to tryout the premiere?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Re: Scream Queens ~ Premieres 9/22 on FOX

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I'll definitely be tuning in. While Ryan Murphy doesn't have the best track record of maintaining his shows, he usually comes up with some pretty good ideas and executes them well. That's why American Horror Story (and, presumably, American Crime Story) works so well: Murphy gets to reset.

Don't get me wrong, I love Glee, but there were some definite lows to the series. It looks like Scream Queens will be in the same vein as AHS, with a "reset" between seasons.

The show looks like it'll be really fun, and I like a lot of the actors that'll be on it, so I'll definitely be tuning in.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

Debbie Reynolds beautiful granddaughter Billie Lourd also will be a regular on the show. Can't wait to see how she does, what a great lineage for talent granddaughter of Debbie Reynolds daughter of Carrie Fisher.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I've read mixed reviews but I'm willing to give it a try. I didn't think I would like Scream:The Series but I enjoyed it quite a lot.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It's like Ryan Murphy has created a show in which he can indulge all his worst impulses from Glee and American Horror Story. It's fun at times, at least, and has pretty people (Nick Jonas as the closeted Boone, yum), Jamie Lee Curtis, and AHS-style "who's the man behind the mask?" and "who did the baby grow up to be?" mysteries. I'm not sure I "get" all the horror references which makes some of the jokes really... Odd. Like that Ariana Grande death scene. Was that a parody of a specific horror trope or scene? Or just supposed to be commentary on youth today? That if they got murdered, they'd tweet about it? I don't think it'll turn into must see TV for me, but I'll keep watching it for now.

By the way, how many episodes is this season supposed to be?
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I found the first two episodes to be pretty good. I wasn't instantly hooked like I was with Glee or AHS, though (which is ironic since Scream Queens is basically a mash-up of the two). Nevertheless, it was a fun way to spend two hours. I don't watch horror films too often--I've probably only seen a handful, maybe even less--so I know I'm not going to get the references to the genre, but I don't think I'm hindered by not knowing those films. The only thing that I really know about the genre is the "lost girl," the one who will ultimately survive. Anyway, I'll keep watching; I know what to expect from a Murphy show, so I'll stick with it, at least until it gets bad.

I have no idea how many episodes will be in this season. I know it was picked up for a season, but that could be anywhere from 13 to 22 episodes (maybe even more).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I watched the premiere and I found it pretty mediocre. The trailers made it look much better than it actually is. It was underwhelming both as comedy and as horror. Most of the jokes/gags fell flat (like the scene with Ariana Grande which was supposed to be funny in an absurd/surreal way but just came off as stupid) and they're often repetitive (honestly, how many times will they make the same lazy joke about social media?) and the show doesn't have the suspense or the pay-off of a good horror flick either.

Also, most of the characters are bland and uninteresting which when coupled with bad acting become even worse. Aside from Jamie Lee Curtis and Emma Roberts, everyone else is really subpar acting-wise (Nick Jonas is plain terrible).

Having said that, the show is entertaining enough to hold your interest and the main mysteries do make you want to learn more. Hopefully, the show will get better as it unfolds because the first two episodes were quite unremarkable.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

The show was about what I expected. Not the best thing ever, but enjoyable enough to fill an evening. Niecy Nash, Lea Michele, Jamie Lee Curtis, Keke Palmer, and Nick Jonas are my favorite parts about it so far. Hopefully Jonas will make it to the end so there'll be eye candy every episode... :P I personally thought Ariana Grande's death scene was hilarious, because most horror movie deaths are incredibly stupid.

I have to admit I don't really care about answers to questions--which probably won't be satisfying anyway--just being momentarily entertained. I've learned that's the best way to approach Murphy shows.
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote:By the way, how many episodes is this season supposed to be?
From what I read, it's only 15. Thankfully the show was intended to have different storylines from season to season, so that even if this doesn't have a season two, everything'll be "resolved" (as much as it ever would be, I mean :lol: ).

I read that the ratings weren't great. Around 4 million with 1.7 in the key demographic. That's less than Once Upon a Time going into its 5th season... The Muppets/Fresh Off the Boat totally walloped it (not unwarranted), doing at least twice its numbers. :lol: The one benefit is that its viewers were consistent throughout the two hours (going by the half hour breakdown), and it might pick up a few more viewers with the re-run the other day to carry it when it's one hour on at 9 and not competing with TM/FOtB.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Anybody stuck with it? I've had to remind myself it's a comedy sometimes (because oftentimes the jokes fall flat or are otherwise bizarre), and it's still a hot mess but Niecy Nash made me laugh this week. I forget what it was, though...

Oh, and it's totally bizarre to see Queen Bee Lea Michele play subordinate to Emma Roberts. Speaking of Emma Roberts, does anyone ever get the sense that she's just playing herself? A better actress could make a lot more of the role, I think.

It's kinda neat to see the heir to Grandma Aggie/Princess Leia dynasty in action, though.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

I'm still watching. While it still is kind of a hot mess, it's fun. Niecy Nash continuously makes me laugh, too, even though her character's pretty stereotypical.

I'm not sure if Emma Roberts just gravitates toward bitchy characters of if that's just her, but she does kind of play the same character repeatedly (at least Chanel and her character on AHS: Coven seem quite similar; though, her character on AHS: Freak Show at least had some redemptive qualities).
Disney's Divinity

I missed last week's episode because the debate was on, and I picked that over this. I have to be honest, I've lost interest in this altogether. The third episode was so boring. I liked Emma Roberts so much more in Coven that I don't think I was prepared for her to be this bad here.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I missed last week's episode because the debate was on, and I picked that over this. I have to be honest, I've lost interest in this altogether. The third episode was so boring. I liked Emma Roberts so much more in Coven that I don't think I was prepared for her to be this bad here.
Haha, just to be clear I did not choose Scream Queens over watching a pivotal debate regarding the future course of our nation. I DVR'd Scream Queens, and watched Hillary slay in real time.
Disney's Divinity

There's supposed to be a marathon on Saturday on FX. I'm going to use it to catch on the past couple of episodes.

Also, there might actually be a second season for the show, according to Ryan Murphy. Apparently he talked about FOX being excited about his ideas for a second season, with any survivors carrying over into the second season, and that Lady Gaga and another popular male star were going to appear....
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Really really enjoying this series so far, episode 3 is airing tomorrow in the UK.

And actually finding Emma Roberts in the role of Chanel great !! For the trailers she seemed identical to Coven, but I'm feeling her much more in this role for sure.