What Movie Did You Just Watch?: The Just-Us League (Vol. 11)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Re: What Movie Did You Just Watch?: The Just-Us League (Vol.

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

I've watched these the last couple days.

28 Days Later
28 Weeks Later
Land of the Dead
Drag Me to Hell
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Charulata
The Blob
(1958)
City Lights
On the Waterfront
Juno
Harvest
(2011)
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

The Many Adventures id Winnie the Pooh-very sweet and innocent, but I was relatively unmoved by it. Hadn't seen it since I was little

The restoration on the Blu-ray is very satisfying.
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

My weekend was pretty boring, so I re-watched a few movies that I haven't seen in a while. Such as...

Hellboy II: The Golden Army (Guillermo Del Toro) - A superior sequel directed by my favorite film maker, Guillermo Del Toro, and starring favorite character actors, Ron Perlman, Doug Jones, Luke Goss, the voice of Seth MacFarlane (he's MORE amusing as a performer than a hackney, insulting writer), and an awesome cameo from John Hurt.

The Secret Of NIMH (Don Bluth) - My favorite Bluth movie, featuring my favorite fictional mom, Mrs. Brisby, a shy mouse that acts without hostility, and endures danger through courage motivated by her loved ones. I LOVE this Movie.

Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki) - My 1st and favorite Miyazaki movie. It features many great characters, like the witch Yubaba, the Dragon boy Haku, the demon Noh Face, and many more from the literally “spiritual journey” of little Chihiro; who is another strong female character that acts without hostility, and endures danger through courage motivated by her loved ones. I feel big hearted and teary eyed every time I watch this beautiful film.

Dogma (Kevin Smith) - This raunchy satire on Catholicism is superb for its performances (particularly Alan Rickman), its humorous dialogue from its characters, especially Jay & Silent Bob, and is spiritually enlightening & moving for its message of understanding what you choose to believe and accepting new details to your personal identity.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Fantasia
The Housemaid
Tokyo Story
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Brother Bear

Winnie the Pooh(2011)
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Warm Bodies Blu-ray 3.5 stars

Summit Entertainment is really running the gamut of different styles of movies, and this is one of them. Directed by Jonathan Levine this movie is absolutely very good with script, which Levine co-wrote, and photography and actors.

Starring Nicholas Hoult and Teresa Palmer as the main stars, we have a great supporting cast which includes Rob Corddry and John Malkovich. The movie is considered by most critics (which I am not one) to be a combination of Comedy-Horror-Romance-Satire. I get all four in this film. This is about a not-quite-human Zombie who saves the life of a girl that he becomes infatuated with and then falls in love with. Stay with me here. This is basically a retelling of Shakespear's Romeo and Juliet except it takes place during the Zombie Apocalypse and is told with some salutes to other great stories. Hoult plays "R" (think Romeo) and Palmer plays Julie (think Juliet) and of course the two families are represented by Cordrry and Malkovich very well.

The film is narrative from the point of "R", and the story is quite moving as he has to fight his 'friends' to keep Juliet safe, and yet find his own 'food' to sustain his being, and avoid getting zapped in the head.

This film is not for every person, but if you like films that have a little twist in them, a goodly amount of satire, and some off-the-wall Zombie terror, then you may like this film. I am looking forward to watching this a few more times and am happy that I have added to my collection.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Annie Hall, The Stepford Wives, Amadeus, and Snow White (with John Canemaker's commentary).
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

From yesterday and today, I've watched:

Persona
Pygmalion
L'avventura
Black Swan
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I watched Stonewall (1995) on Saturday. Loved it!
DVDBuff1
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DVDBuff1 »

The World's End (Edgar Wright)

While not in the same league as Shaun of the Dead, it's definitely my favorite comedy of the year. For those who think parody is dead, there's 1 person who keeps it alive, and it's Edgar Wright.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

DVDBuff1 wrote:The World's End (Edgar Wright)

While not in the same league as Shaun of the Dead, it's definitely my favorite comedy of the year. For those who think parody is dead, there's 1 person who keeps it alive, and it's Edgar Wright.
Same and I loved it as much as Hot Fuzz. Haven't seen shawn, but RT puts them all in the same league of around 90%
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The Flight of the Phoenix (1965) DVD

Directed by one of my favorite directors, Robert Aldrich, 'Phoenix' tell the story of a fateful journey of a dozen crewmen on their way across the Sahara Desert, when the plane they are in is forced to crash land in the 'middle of nowhere'.

Aldrich's credit run very deep in the action-adventure field, he directed the original "The Longest Yard" and "The Dirty Dozen" among many others.

This movie is filled with a who's who in Hollywood when it comes the actors. Led by James Stewart, Richard Attenborough, Ian Bannen, Peter Finch, Hardy Kruger, Ernest Borgnine, Dan Duryea, and George Kennedy, this film is filled with taut tension, great acting, great story, and photography that has not been equaled since.

Kruger is a design manufacturer of airplanes, and convinces Stewart that to keep up morale, they should try to make one airplane out of the wreckage and fly out of there. Disgruntled and disagreeing at almost every point, they begin the arduous 12-day task of rebuilding an airplane with a minimum of tools and total lack of food, with very little water. The suspense in this film is added to by the role of Peter Finch, a British soldier, who thinks that he should get a couple of the survivors together and try to walk back to the base they flew out of. Needless to say that venture fails, and shortly afterward it is revealed that Kruger is a designer of flying machines alright, but they are all Model Aeroplanes and not planes equipped for passengers. After halting any more work on the plane, and trading insults and et al, they finally decide that all this in-fighting is getting them nowhere and they continue to rebuild the plane.

This is a must have in every movie buffs collection. Please ignore the tepid 2004 remake which was absolutely terrible when compared to this film. The running time on the 2004 version will tell you how much they avoided trying to even remake the original.

On the Junkie Meter this gets a big Five Stars out of Five Stars for its originality, cast, story, and photography. It also should be noted that Paul Mantz, who did most of the flying scenes in many movies in Hollywood, was killed making this movie. There is a wonderful tribute to him in the end of the film.

Corvette Summer (1978) DVD

This cheesy-like 70's film was supposed to launch Mark Hamill's career change, and failed miserably. That being said this movie is a montage of what makes movies of this type good, bad, and just plain awful. A very good cast including Hamill, Annie Potts, Eugene Roch, and Danny Bonaduce are very good at time in this movie, and very lost in other parts of the film.

The story revolves around a high-school-graduate (Mark Hamill) who loves designing, fixing, and customizing cars. He finds the remains of a Corvette Stingray in a junkyard and convinces his teacher to help him get it to the school auto shop where he spends his senior year fixing this car.

You can probably figure out the rest. One night he is out driving in his 'new' ride, and he stops to get some food to take back to his friends, and the car is stolen. This sets off a whole lot of 'unreal' nonsense about checking every car show in the US and odd things like other conventions and such. Then Hamill happens to meet a drunk on the street who recognizes him as the kid with bright red Corvette. He says that he heard the thieves talk about heading to Vegas.

When Hamill arrives in Vegas, he meets Annie Potts, who portrays a high-school hooker wannabe. She agrees to help him try to find his car and the rest is so predictable that even I could write down how it all comes out.

This is not that bad a movie, but I would only give it 2 and a half stars out of Five because it is just for a certain audience.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

JFK (1991)

My second viewing of this masterpiece, in which Oliver Stone shows us what a brilliant filmmaker he is. The way he presents so much information in such a compelling way is genius. Although every second of the movie is crammed with essential pieces of info, it's never heavy to digest. Instead, Stone keeps you constantly at the edge of your seat because you want to know more, more, more... Not only thanks to the clever script and very good performances of the entire cast (especially Kevin Costner), but in large part also due to the groundbreaking editing. Viewers who already have a big knowledge of US history have an advantage when watching, as not every historical fact mentioned is explained at lenghts, but the film can also be used as a starting point to learn more about these things. Regardless of one's knowledge, I hope everybody will at least once see one of the best and certainly most important films of all time; JFK.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

King Kong (1933)
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Colombiana (2011)

There's not much substance to this movie, but the style is breath-taking! The cinematography is lush and rich, the fight scenes are choreographed masterfully, the editing is amazing, the action is presented at breakneck speed, the leading lady Zoe Saldana is both stone-cold and super-hot at the same time, and everything about this movie has an air of 'coolness'. If you want to see one of the better popcorn-flicks out there, watch this one. You will be entertained.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Just saw The Wizard of Oz (1939) in 3D IMAX. Absolutely stunning!
EZLiver9139
Limited Issue

Post by EZLiver9139 »

Just saw The Wizard of Oz (1939) in 3D IMAX. Absolutely stunning!
Glad I'm not the only one. The experience was quite worthwhile. One of those films where the added depth accentuates the storyline without it being consistently in your face. You hardly notice it, and yet you're there.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

And none of the trailers with their bells and whistles (Gravity, Hobbit 2, Hunger Games 2) interested or excited me as much as this MGM classic.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Dirty Mary Crazy Larry (1974) Blu-ray

This movie is one of those cheesy popcorn flicks that you check your brain at the door, and just sit back and enjoy.

Directed by John Hough, and starring Peter Fonda, Adam Roarke, and Susan George, in one of her better roles, takes on a quick-paced non-stop journey to a sudden end. Vic Morrow is also in the cast as a helicopter-riding sheriff who will do anything to catch these thieves who just robbed a grocery store without the use of any weapons. I won't give away how the did it, that is part of the story and don't want to ruin it for those who haven't seen this '70's chase movie.

Not as good as some later chase films, but better than most at the time this one came out. On the Junkie Meter a very solid 3 out of Five Stars.