Anastasia on Broadway

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Icea
Limited Issue

Post by Icea »

This is great news. Flaherty and Ahrens are one of the best musical writing teams of all time, I've loved all of their musicals :D
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Don Bluth's Anastasia to Be a Stage Musical

Post by Sotiris »

Finally an update!
According to an Equity casting notice, a developmental lab of the new musical version of ANASTASIA -- featuring book by Terrence McNally, music by Stephen Flaherty and lyrics by Lynn Ahrens -- will be held at Pearl Studios this August. Darko Tresnjak is set to direct the project from Stage Entertainment USA, along with musical director Tom Murray.
Source: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Mc ... 45TPHKSy_g
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

Angela Lansbury :D
2Disney4Ever
Gold Classic Collection

Post by 2Disney4Ever »

It's nice to see that the great Don Bluth is getting some more recognition for his 2D work again. Ever since Titan A.E. it seems like he's been pretty non-existent in this day and age of nonstop computer animation.

Love traditional Disney animation? Send your art to: http://2disney4ever.deviantart.com/
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

2Disney4Ever wrote:It's nice to see that the great Don Bluth is getting some more recognition for his 2D work again. Ever since Titan A.E. it seems like he's been pretty non-existent in this day and age of nonstop computer animation.
Will you ever stop with this constant anti-CGI argument...

Like hell, the post in question doesn't even speak about CGI. Bluth has never worked in a CGI film, so quit yapping when there's no reason to... :roll:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder if Angela Lansbury will be in it or not? I'm not the biggest fan of Anastasia although the music is nice (a few of the songs, anyway). I'm more of a Lansbury fan really. :P
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Ahhhh !!! Yes yes yes ! This is brilliant news, I hope this comes to pass !

I think Anastasia is such a wonderful, underrated film.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Well, I can certainly see myself enjoying this. I liked the movie, despite its flaws. And the animation tried to look too human as well, so it's easier to swallow the dances in live theatre.
MeerkatKombat
Special Edition

Post by MeerkatKombat »

I'd love this. I love Anastasia. It got me obsessed with the Romanovs and the Russian Revolution.
Despite the fact that the ending of Bluth's Anastasia ending was the complete opposite of real history, I still have major love for it. I love putting the DVD on every six months and singing along like any normal 25 year old..... :eyebrow:

I paid a ridiculous amount of money for the music box.
Settling Soul mates? That is grim. And I've played Monopoly alone.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I wonder if Angela Lansbury will be in it or not? I'm not the biggest fan of Anastasia although the music is nice (a few of the songs, anyway). I'm more of a Lansbury fan really. :P
Do you like anything??? Haha. I mean that in the nicest possible way. :-)
Disney's Divinity

I like Angela Lansbury. :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm glad the project is still on track.
According to an Equity casting notice, a staged reading of the new musical version of ANASTASIA -- featuring book by Terrence McNally, music by Stephen Flaherty and lyrics by Lynn Ahrens -- will be held on June 12, 2015. Tony winner Darko Tresnjak is set to direct the project, along with musical director Tom Murray.
Source: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Mc ... e-20150414
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The stage musical is a go!
Artistic Director Darko Tresnjak, the Tony Award winner for Best Director of a Musical for A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder, will anchor Hartford Stage's 2015-16 season from May 12-June 5, 2016, with the world premiere of a new musical, Anastasia. Directed by Tresnjak next spring, Anastasia reunites the Tony Award-winning writers of the Broadway classic Ragtime: book by Terrence McNally, lyrics by Lynn Ahrens, and music by Stephen Flaherty. The new musical Anastasia is inspired by the 1956 and 1997 Twentieth Century Fox Motion Pictures.
Source: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/AN ... t-20150423
Six songs from the 1997 version, including Oscar-nominated “Journey to the Past,” will be used in the stage musical alongside new material from Ahrens and Flaherty.
Source: http://variety.com/2015/legit/news/anas ... 201478607/
"This is an epic musical with a cast of 21 and I'm thrilled," says Tresnjak. "People in the musical theater [industry] now know that they can have a work lovingly nurtured here, just as we did for 'Gentleman's Guide.' "

The show will include some songs from the 1997 animated film — including the Oscar-nominated "Journey to the Past" — as well as new tunes —but it will not be kid-centric, according to David Henderson, director of marketing at the theater.

A workshop of the musical was held last summer in New York and another private one is planned for the first two weeks of June. Stage Entertainment USA is involved as commercial partners in that workshop as well as the Hartford production. No casting has been announced.
Source: http://www.courant.com/entertainment/be ... story.html
Disney's Divinity

I'm guessing "Once Upon a December" and "A Rumor in St. Petersburg" are safe, too. Of the other three, my favorite was "Learn to Do It" (although I love Bernadette Peters, "Paris Holds..." was always filler to me), so I hope that one isn't cut. I'm curious how they'll handled Rasputin. If they decide to tell the story without him, maybe "In the Dark of the Night" is cut?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The musical is currently being workshopped. It seems to be going very well.
This week [Terrence] McNally was at an invitation-only workshop for “Anastasia,” which he’s written with Lynn Ahrens and Stephen Flaherty, who scored the 1997 animated movie the musical is based on. Darko Tresnjak, who staged last year’s Tony winning “A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder,” is directing. Sources who attended the workshop say he’s made the show tougher and more adult than the kiddie film. Ahrens and Flaherty have supplemented their film score with several new and, I’m told, lilting songs. Elena Shaddow (“The Bridges of Madison County”) played Anna in the workshop. Ramin Karimloo, Tony-nominated for “Les Misérables,” played Dimitri, a con man who falls in love with Anastasia.

Stage Entertainment, which produced “Rocky” last season, is the money behind “Anastasia.” The show opens at the Hartford Stage, where Tresnjak is artistic director, in the fall. Bill Taylor, the head of Stage Entertainment, is looking for a Broadway theater for spring. Attending the workshop were reps from the big three theater owners — Shubert, Nederlander, Jujamcyn — who, according to my spies, seemed impressed.
Source: http://nypost.com/2015/06/16/anastasia- ... its-money/
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Ramin is in this ?!?!?!?!!? :o Oh wow, amazing casting ! He was fantastic in 'Love Never Dies' ! And oh my gosh, and talking of Love Never Dies, Sierra Boggess would make an amazing Anya …
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The musical will be held at the Hartford Stage from May 12th to June 12th and tickets are already up for sale.
Synopsis wrote:From Darko Tresnjak—2014 Tony Award winner for Best Director of a Musical for A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder—and the Tony Award-winning writers of the Broadway classic Ragtime, the new musical Anastasia is the romantic and rousing story of one brave young woman attempting to discover the mystery of her past while finding a place for herself in the rapidly changing world of a new century. With a rich and sweeping musical score that evokes the opulence of Russian aristocracy and the energy of Paris street life, Anastasia is the ultimate journey of a woman caught between the pull of the past and the promise of the future.
Source: https://www.hartfordstage.org/anastasia

The production is getting a cast recording as well. Van Dean, co-founder of Broadway Records has confirmed it.
Q: What’s in-store for 2016?

Van Dean: Many more cast recordings, a production of Anastasia the Musical, an Off-Broadway production that I will be announcing shortly and more albums in our ‘Live at 54 BELOW’ series.
Source: http://www.theimproper.com/theater/3253 ... y-records/

Source: http://motherfckindemocraticrepublicans ... tle-bit-of
Disney's Divinity

Is there a track listing? (Still wondering who/what was cut or not.) I'll be picking this up, so I guess it doesn't matter though.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

The songs from the animated movie are still going to be in this, aren't they ?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

While the track list hasn't been released yet, it has been confirmed that six songs from the movie will make it into the show with "Journey to the Past" the only one mentioned by name.

My guess is that the end credits song "At the Beginning" is more likely to get cut as well as the villain song "In the Dark of the Night" since they're going for a more mature approach for the stage production.

A Rumor in St. Petersburg
Journey to the Past
Once Upon a December
In the Dark of the Night
Learn to Do It
Learn to Do It (Waltz Reprise)
Paris Holds the Key (To Your Heart)
At the Beginning