American Idol Season 11

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Some people's kids!!!!

DD are you even watching the show and voting? Your comments are so lame. You probably wouldn't know a good singer if you could carry a tune. Everyone is entitled to an opinion and I do respect yours as long as you leave your smart-ass remarks out of it.

And I corrected "wink" to weak.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

rotfl
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Ok something weird happened this week. I enjoyed Phillip's performance (Volcano was good), and I was glad he was safe.

I still don't see all the praise for Joshua, and even this week Jessica started to become the "same old performance" for me. Maybe I just had a bad week watching the show. I don't know.

Anyway the results were no surprise.

I think Phillip will go home next, leaving Joshua and Jessica in the final.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

All eyes and ears will be on American Idol tonight as the Final Three get to go home and then return to the Idol stage and sing three songs each.

It will be the Judge's Choice, The Contestants Choice, Jimmy Iovine's Choice

Here is the song list, let's have fun and try to match up which song for which artist.

Judges Picks:

Imagine - John Lennon

My All - Mariah Carey

No More Drama - Mary J. Blige

Finalists Picks:

We've Got Tonight - Bob Seger

I Don't Want to Miss A Thing - Aerosmith

Beggin' - Madcon

Jimmy's Picks:

I'll Be There - Jackson 5

Disease - Matchbox 20

I'd Rather Go Blind - Etta James

There you have it. Tomorrow's results show should see Phillip Phillips going home, but it is up to us to vote and keep our favorites on to the Finals next week.
Disney's Divinity

Pretty dull night, unfortunately. I think the only halfway good performances were Jessica's "I'll Be There" and Joshua's "Imagine" (though not as good as David Archuleta).

Jessica will most likely be eliminated tomorrow, with Phillip following Lee DeWyze and Scotty McCreery with the one-note, tone-deaf contestant winning the show. But, of course, the judges love him (trying to save face when he wins, apparently). Steven Tyler: "It doesn't matter if you can't hit all the notes." ... :lol:
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Don't know which show Disney Divinity was watching, but it was a full-tilt, leave it all on the stage night for the three finalists in this year's American Idol. And contrary to what DD might think, Phillip Phillips is not going to win this thing. After last night's performances, I believe that Phillip will be the one going home tonight, and our finalists will be Joshua and Jessica.

Last night the finalists shared their 'going home' adventures with us, and also had to sing three songs - Judges choice, finalists choice, and Jimmy Iovine's choice. Here is how it went:

Joshua Ledet was first up and the judges gave him an Etta James song called "I'd Rather Go Blind", which he did flawlessly. His second song was his choice and he did a show-stopping version of John Lennon's "Imagine". For his third song, Jimmy assigned him the Mary J. Blige showstopper from last year's Grammy's, "No More Drama", which he delivered without a flaw.

Jessica Sanchez was up next and her first song, chosen by the judges, was Mariah Carey's "My All", which impressed the judges with her delivery of the song. Second, Jessica picked Aerosmith's "I Don't Want To Miss a Thing", from "Armageddon" and brought Steven Tyler to his feet with her delivery of the song. Steven said that when she can deliver a song like that she could be the last one standing, next week. The third song for Jessica was an amazing version of The Jackson 5's song, "I'll Be There", which brought the audience t their feet.

Philip Phillips was given a song by Madcon called "Beggin' ", which he put his touches to and got good reviews for. Phillip's choice of the second song, was criticized very harshly by the judges as he took Matchbox 20's "Disease" to a different level. His third song of the night was Bob Seger's "We've Got Tonight", which got the best reviews of the night.

Now comes the fun part. I am standing pat on my prediction from the first week of this year's Idol, and tonight we will see Phillips being the one on the bottom and leaving the show. I can't see how they can ignore how strong Joshua Ledet and Jessica Sanchez have become in the past few weeks, and since we haven't had a female Idol in five years, it is time for the "girl" to rule the stage.

Tonight's Results Show will also feature Adam Lambert's return to the Idol stage, and also we get to see Lisa Marie Presley, live on the Idol stage for the first time.

Next week, it's a shift in the schedule. Tuesday night will be the finals night from the Nokia Theater, with the two-hour results show on Wednesday night. Make sure you don't miss either show, and please if you watch the show - VOTE!!!!!
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Joshua is gone, but I'm sure someone will sign him soon (if he hasn't already got an offer).

I'm starting to think after this week Phillip will win.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

They claim that over 90 million votes were cast, and I doubt this very much. And once again America got it all wrong! What are you thinking? Phillip Phillips is a one-note-wonder, and changes some melodies so horrifically that the tune is barely recogniaable ("The Letter") or he turns around and does a direct karaoke version of a Bob Seger song, and gets rewarded with a chance to win American idol, I just don't understand.

Clearly Joshua Ledet would be the better candidate to give Jessica a run for money, but apparently the teen and tweeny boppers all think that Phillip and his good looks will be better than a very talented gentleman-of-color.

Next week the Finals show will be on Tuesday night, with the 2-hour-plus Results and Crowning of the new American Idol on Wednesday night.

I am just disappointed about this, and the fact that Jennifer Lopez has asked to be released for her position as an American Idol judge.

For goodness sake, we need to get this right next week and cast our votes for Jessica Sanchez. She is one of the most talented young ladies to grace the stage of American Idol in a very long time. If Phillip Phillips wins this, then I will probably never watch American Idol again.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Jessica Sanchez and Phillip Phillips left it all on the stage last night in the Season Finale of American Idol.

The song choices were horrific, and I think both contestants struggled with their performances, but the 'thrashing' that Phillips gave Billy Joel's "Moving Out" might have won the whole thing for him.

I wish there was a way for people to register before voting, to ensure that they are at least 18 years old, and they can only vote once per mode of voting. But that is probably lost on the producers, because how else can they "fix" the contest so the proper person wins in their eyes.

Just sayin'. I think there should be a totally different way we vote to insure that the "cutest" one gets more votes than the 'most talented' one.

Tonight's American Idol Finale is set for two plus hours. If you are recording the show for watching later, make sure you set your DVR or video tape recorder to allow for 2 hours and 12 minutes. The show is going to run long, as usual, and among the guests will be Rihanna and last year's winner, Scotty McCreery. The other eight finalists will also make an appearance on the show.

If Jessica Sanchez doesn't win this title, and Phillips does, then count on me to be one of many who will never watch American Idol again.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

DialIdol, which has been wrong a lot this Season, but always right in the past for Finales, has Phillip winning. Honestly I wouldn't be surprised. Personally I think his single was a lot better than Jessica's last night.

There really isn't a need to register to vote, but I agree that the overall voting needs to be changed. They need to limit the number of calls and text per line, and not just vote as much as possible. In past seasons I've read where people download programs, etc... to just dial in as many votes as possible. They don't even have to do anything because their computer does it for them.

Anyway I may have lost my mind after last night, but I want Phillip to win now. Oh well... Tonight should be interesting. Hopefully they have some good guests, and performances. Either way Phillip and Jessica will release albums, so its up to us to buy them and support which one we prefer.
Disney's Divinity

I've heard reports that the Phillipines have been illegally voting for Jessica Sanchez throughout the season. I really hope they pull a Jessica win for us. :lol: Regardless, this could end up being an Adam Lambert v. Kris Allen or Crystal Bowersox v. Lee DeWyze situation, with the runner-up outselling the winner in the long run. I imagine Phillip will sell much worse than Kris and Lee.

If Phillip does win, I imagine the show will really start to die. Ratings will drop because of the predictability and of course all credibility will be thrown out the window for good. Women and non-whites should just avoid trying out for the show at all at this point. They'd have a better shot on X Factor or The Voice. :lol:
Disney's Divinity

Is anyone surprised?

Lee DeWyze, Scotty McCreery, and Phillip Phillips… This show is such a disgrace. :lol: No wonder Simon jumped the ship.
kenai3000
Gold Classic Collection

Post by kenai3000 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Is anyone surprised?

Lee DeWyze, Scotty McCreery, and Phillip Phillips… This show is such a disgrace. :lol: No wonder Simon jumped the ship.
Vote For The Worst likely helped him win.
Disney is awesome, and was the biggest part of my childhood.
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

During this season I though Jessica was going to win until lat night when everyone was talking about Phillips last performance. The I knew he was going to win it. Dissapointed. Jessica should have one but she still going to have a great musical career.
Past 5 winners and this year winner:
David Cook (Didnt saw this season, so I dont pay attention to him)
Kris Allen (One of my favorite winner)
Lee DeWyze (Dont care. Probably nobody remembers him. Boring Season.)
Scotty McCreery (Dont care. Dont like country music and his voice is annoying. An alright season.)
Phillip Phillips (Great singer but would probably not listen to him. Best season so far with a lot of amazing singers.)

Like I said I wanted to Jessica to win. Specially there's hasnt been a girl winner for a while. Plus she would have been perfect to broke that Idol curse.

On other news did anybody know that Walmart.com is selling Kris Allen's new album, "Thank You Cameilla" which is AUTOGRAPED for $10.00 :shock:
Disney's Divinity

AladdinFan wrote: On other news did anybody know that Walmart.com is selling Kris Allen's new album, "Thank You Cameilla" which is AUTOGRAPED for $10.00 :shock:
I need to pick up his album anyway--it'd be nice to get it autographed! :D

I agree that this season was better than the past few seasons, because there were a lot of good people. Like you, I'd hoped Jessica would be the one to break the curse, but unfortunately not. :lol: :(
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I didn't watch this season, but I did see the finale and was really confused as to why Phillip Phillips won. Jessica sang wonderfully (especially for a 16 year old), and Phillip kind of sounded like a drunk while he was singing, in my opinion. I don't know. Even though there's really only been one successful American Idol (Kelly), I think Jessica might have a bigger chance of becoming a success than Phillip.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

TheSequelofDisney wrote:
Even though there's really only been one successful American Idol (Kelly),
?????

Didn't you forget about the biggest star from American Idol, Carrie Underwood? She has been far and away the most successful of all the Idol winners.

And there have been some great follwers, Jennifer Hudson was once on Idol and she won an Academy Award for her performance in "Dream Girls".

Scotty McCreery has been the best since Chris Daughtry, he has won a ton of awards, and like country music or not, he is going to be bonifide star.

Phillip Phillips, hereafter referred to as "P.P.", couldn't even hold court with John Fogerty. He doesn't know the first thing about duets, and as for his wardrobe, he really needs to get with the program and quit looking like a bum of the streets.

Unless they fix the Idol voting methods, so anyone under 18 can't vote, I will never watch another American Idol show.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

dvdjunkie wrote:
?????

Didn't you forget about the biggest star from American Idol, Carrie Underwood? She has been far and away the most successful of all the Idol winners.

And there have been some great follwers, Jennifer Hudson was once on Idol and she won an Academy Award for her performance in "Dream Girls".

Scotty McCreery has been the best since Chris Daughtry, he has won a ton of awards, and like country music or not, he is going to be bonifide star.

Phillip Phillips, hereafter referred to as "P.P.", couldn't even hold court with John Fogerty. He doesn't know the first thing about duets, and as for his wardrobe, he really needs to get with the program and quit looking like a bum of the streets.

Unless they fix the Idol voting methods, so anyone under 18 can't vote, I will never watch another American Idol show.
Well, I haven't watched the show since the first season, so I can't say I know all of those who won. Yes, Carrie Underwood is successful but really only in the world of country music. Kelly Clarkson has branched out to various genres. I guess it's probably because I rarely listen to modern country (I only have Johnny Cash and the theme song to True Blood in my iTunes library, and I know a lot of stuff from the late 90s and early 00s). And I know J-Hud, but she wasn't a winner (which is why I didn't include her; and Dreamgirls is great--And I Am Telling You is fantastic). I don't really know much/anything about Scotty McCreery, but a lot of country stars stay in country; he may be a star, but we'll just have to see if he can break out of just country. Again, I don't listen to country, but I've never heard any of his songs, and only a few of Carrie's. To me, since Kelly Clarkson has been around for a decade or so, she just has more presence (plus she's been on this season's The Voice and will be on Duets).
Last edited by TheSequelOfDisney on Thu May 24, 2012 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

Scotty probably had the same amount of success with his first album as David Cook did. Incidentally, David Cook's second album bombed and the label dropped him. Scotty will be in the same place in two years.

I believe Jordin Sparks and Fantasia have both had some moderate success--the former more than the latter. “No Air” was a hit across the globe, I think. And she’s had several other multi-platinum singles. Her second album didn’t sell that well though. Hopefully, she’ll have a comeback with Sparkle, especially now that the film has all eyes set on it because of Whitney Houston’s death.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Anyone watch Jay Leno last night (Thursday) when Phillip Phillips got booed when he was introduced? I admit that it wasn't cool, but I wanted to see what happened on his first network appearance outside of Idol.

Jessica will be Ellen's show next week, don't know which day, but there won't be any boo's in that audience.

Did you see the overall ratings for American Idol, Season 11. It was lowest since Season 5. And the finale show has almost 20% fewer watchers than any previous Idol season.

Serves them right for their screwed up system of voting. I think they could learn a lot from "Dancing With The Stars" and let the judges have 50% of the vote each week. But we will see if that happens.