"SMASH" - Official Discussion Thread...........

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

"SMASH" - Official Discussion Thread...........

Post by dvdjunkie »

Whle recuperating I have a lot of time on my hands and watch quite a bit of television and was wondering if anyone else watch "Smash" on NBC Monday night, February 6.

The first show was really good and all the stars, including Katherine McPhee, were wonderfully cast. I guess this first season is going to follow everyone from the writers and producers to the cast members as they put together what they think will be a "smash" musical called "Marilyn the Musical", based on Marilyn Monroe.

This is the sort of television show I would watch every night if it were on. With a lead-in like "The Voice", I think that it will make Monday nights very tolerable again.

Anyone else watching this show. Please, no comparisons to "Glee".
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I love Smash! It is seriously one of my new favorite series this year (and I wish there would be more than 15 episodes this season). Everyone, literally every single person, is wonderfully cast and I look forward to seeing Norbert Leo Butz and Bernadette Peters coming up soon. This is pretty much a Broadway fan's dream of a show. But it doesn't just have to be for fans of Broadway, either. The songs, of course, are wonderfully written (got to give it up to Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman); Let Me Be Your Star is right up there with You Can't Stop the Beat and Good Morning Baltimore. This series looks really, really promising.

And, without Glee, Smash probably wouldn't have even been produced :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I only watched because I love Anjelica Huston and I've had mad respect for her since "Ever After", so I had to support her new show. Anyway, she and this did not disappoint. I thought it was good! I understood the inside theater jokes! I loved the fact it employed original songs and I was hooked by "Let Me Be Your Star". I'll keep watching!

Oh, and I'm glad Debra Messing has work again!
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't know Let Me Be Your Star was an original song! I thought it was an old song they used! That's how good it sounded!!!!!! It is right up there with some greats!!!!! Very good!

I just caught parts of this show, but maybe I'll watch it...I don't watch much TV except for late at night and usually come and go as I please, doing other stuff, it takes a lot for something to really hook me, but I will try to catch this good-looking show.
tsom wrote:Oh, and I'm glad Debra Messing has work again!
Yea!!!
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I absolutely LOVE Smash! It is a great show, love the music, the concepts fabulous. Hope it lasts for a while.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Poody
Anniversary Edition

Post by Poody »

I love how they the show features legit broadway stars. Megan Hilty is amazing. :) Enjoying the show so far!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The really nice thing about this show is with only 15 episodes, we won't have to see any re-runs this season.

The quality of the production is amazing, for television. I totally lust after Megan Hilty and Katherine McPhee. Angelica Huston is cast brilliantly, as are the rest of the show. I hope they keep up the quality as they have so far.

And the fact that the majority of the "Marilyn" music is original lends a lot more authenticity to the show. I thought the opening song "Call Me", the Blondie hit from the 80's was a real smart way to open the show with Katherine McPhee waiting for that 'call back'.

I am hooked on this show for however long it lasts, and I hope it is here for several seasons.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

Saw that tv show. And I love it! This is better than Glee. :D
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

All caught up on episodes 2 and 3. I just love this show! It's def better than Glee, which I'm done with as of three weeks ago!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Megan Hilty is becoming a little "whore" on the show. She thinks that just because she is sleeping with the director, she can have what she wants when she wants it. Some say that it was that way with Marilyn Monroe in her heyday.

"Smash" is becoming my favorite show on television, and I truly think the writing for this show is the best on television, right behind "Army Wives", which by the way has their Season Six premier Sunday night from 9 to ll pm EST.

Nick Jonas was a pleasant addition to the cast, and his character was just perfect. I am still in love with Katherine McPhee and her character, Karen, is getting pushed out of the chorus line because that is what Hilty wants.

I am on board for the rest of the season, and will get the box set when it comes on Blu-ray or DVD later this year.
TsWade2
Anniversary Edition

Post by TsWade2 »

dvdjunkie wrote:Megan Hilty is becoming a little "whore" on the show. She thinks that just because she is sleeping with the director, she can have what she wants when she wants it. Some say that it was that way with Marilyn Monroe in her heyday.

"Smash" is becoming my favorite show on television, and I truly think the writing for this show is the best on television, right behind "Army Wives", which by the way has their Season Six premier Sunday night from 9 to ll pm EST.

Nick Jonas was a pleasant addition to the cast, and his character was just perfect. I am still in love with Katherine McPhee and her character, Karen, is getting pushed out of the chorus line because that is what Hilty wants.

I am on board for the rest of the season, and will get the box set when it comes on Blu-ray or DVD later this year.
Yeah! I wonder if Karen and Ivy would have a catfight!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Smash has been renewed for a second season!

Details Here
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Bernadette! Bernadette! Bernadette!

That is all.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I guess there was a lot of you who didn't find Bernadette Peters appearance on "Smash" that unique.

For her age, she looks marvelous, and there is no mistaking her voice. We only have four episodes left for Season One of this brilliant musical "Smash", as they head for an Off Broadway debut of "Marilyn".

I love this show and can't believe that some people still prefer to watch "Glee" after seeing this professional-styled show. "Glee" has its appeal, though not for me, and I am sure that there is a audience out there for it. I just much prefer this behinds-the-scenes look of a Broadway production from the ground up.
Disney Live On
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Disney Live On »

Never liked Glee and never will (and trust me I gave it multiple chances to impress and it failed on every count). SMASH on the other hand is incredible. Love it all! It just leaves me feeling so good after every episode! Adore the story, characters and songs. So happy we know already Season 2 is on its way!!! :D
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

So, I'm FINALLY discovering this show. I've always meant to watch it, but I haven't really found the time until now. I'm in the middle of the 3rd episode and I'm in love!

I love all the characters, the story, the music, the dancing, just everything! I'm definitely adding this to me list of regular shows I watch.

Ellis pisses me off though. I think it's because he reminds me of a friend I used to have that was pretty slimy.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

dvdjunkie wrote:We only have four episodes left for Season One of this brilliant musical "Smash", as they head for an Off Broadway debut of "Marilyn".

I love this show and can't believe that some people still prefer to watch "Glee" after seeing this professional-styled show. "Glee" has its appeal, though not for me, and I am sure that there is a audience out there for it. I just much prefer this behinds-the-scenes look of a Broadway production from the ground up.
Glee is something really, really, really different from Smash. It's not supposed to be like this show. I do like Smash better, but they aren't supposed to be the same thing.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Disney Duster wrote:Glee is something really, really, really different from Smash. It's not supposed to be like this show. I do like Smash better, but they aren't supposed to be the same thing.
There's really no point in telling him, Duster. He'll just continue to compare them because he hates Glee.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Anybody watch last night's show. Uma Thurman was the guest star and brought a little more turmoil and pizzazz to the workshop.

I am loving this show, and with only two more episodes left this season, I can't wait for the 'cliff-hangar' that will keep us waiting for Season 2.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

^ There are 5 more episodes left for the season, Junkie.

I really like Smash, and I'm excited that it'll be back for another season. I've always wanted to know more about how musicals were produced and all of the obstacles that needed to be overcome to get them to Broadway.