Dr Who vs Star Trek

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
xWKDNiiNJAx

Dr Who vs Star Trek

Post by xWKDNiiNJAx »

I have recently become involved in a debate between me and a Friend about which out of Dr Who and Star Trek is the better Show (This includes all 11 Doctors and All Five seperate Seasons of Star Trek), having wathed a good dose of both Dr Who and Star Trek, I believe that Star Trek Triumphs, however, my friend seems to think otherwise. I am writing this post to see what show you prefer overall, or which segments of each show you prefer (such as character development, special effects, Villians etc.). On another note, I would like to see what your opinion of the new Star Trek movie, Into Darkness, whether you think it will be a box-office success or a movie flop.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Hands down, it's "Star Trek".

Could never get into "Dr. Who" because it is the typical British show, very slow and deliberate. And the fact that they couldn't keep a star paid enough they had to have so many different people portray the Doctor of the title.

Star Trek spawned so many different Captains from William Shatner to Patrick Stewart to Kate Mulgrew and on and on. Each was an adventure to its own, and you can watch them over and over.

I'll side with you about Star Trek being the better watch!!
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I tried to watch several episodes (new and old) of Doctor Who but it does not really do much for me. Plus, there are just too many series (or seasons as they call in our country) to cover. I'll give it to Star Trek despite have only seen a handful of episodes and one of the original movies (Wrath of Khan) as well as the 2009 film. I have not seen much of The Next Generation series (aside from the pilot) and I never saw Enterprise or Deep Space Nine.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

The correct answer is Firefly.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

dvdjunkie wrote:Could never get into "Dr. Who" because it is the typical British show, very slow and deliberate. And the fact that they couldn't keep a star paid enough they had to have so many different people portray the Doctor of the title.
Sorry that it wasn't fast-paced and action-packed enough for you. It was too busy developing characters and telling great stories.

They didn't change the actor playing the Doctor because he couldn't be paid enough; it's because the first actor to portray him was elderly and ill. 'Regeneration' was the utterly ingenious solution, a solution which makes Doctor Who have the potential to go on forever.

Doctor Who is the better show. Firstly, it's much more accessible - to understand Star Trek, you need to have a rough idea of the universe around these characters and there's far too much mythology baggage to get through. Conversely, Doctor Who is simple - an ancient, immortal alien who can change his face upon death lives in a time-travelling box, adventuring throughout time and space with human companions. The Doctor Who format is also far more flexible: one adventure will be a Western, the next will be an Agatha Christie mystery, then the story after that will be a cross between a Hammer Horror movie and a romantic comedy. Giant wasps disguised as vicars. Drug-dealing extraterrestrials meets soap operas. Shakespeare as space opera (The Caves of Androzani particularly exemplifies this). Mummies, vampires, zombies, cavemen, Lovecraftian abominations, cyborgs, pirates, mad scientists, great detectives, witches and dinosaurs have all made their mark on the show's history.

Conversely, Star Trek has ridden on the back of Doctor Who's inventions; for example, the superb concept of the Cybermen was almost blatantly stolen by Star Trek in the form of the Borg.

Each episode of Doctor Who is fresh and unique, because that's what the show inherently is - a clever, inventive story juxtaposing different styles and themes, placing it in a classic genre or setting, throwing in intelligent twists and turns and including a philosophical or sociological message as the icing on the cake, yet these messages would never be patronising, but appeal even to adults.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I'm Neutral. I just wanted to throw that out there :P
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Why do you guys always do this? Like whatever you want! In fact, you can like both. I do! I think I am more of a fan of Doctor Who but ST is good as well. I've been watching both shows for a very long time.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I can’t say I’m too knowledgeable of either show, but from what little I have seen of both, I’d say Doctor Who looks more interesting. I think what kept me from getting into it more is knowing it's so old, and pretty impossible to see from the beginning (and who would have the time to watch that many episodes if you could? :o ).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I can’t say I’m too knowledgeable of either show, but from what little I have seen of both, I’d say Doctor Who looks more interesting. I think what kept me from getting into it more is knowing it's so old, and pretty impossible to see from the beginning (and who would have the time to watch that many episodes if you could? :o ).
You really don't have to start from the *very* beginning. I would start with the first episode from the new series, though. If you have time you may want to check out the classic series but keep in mind, it was terribly cheap. The effects aren't so special and it was shot on videotape. There were some pretty good stories but you just need to keep it in perspective.

When I was a kid, I was lucky that my local PBS station showed the entire series from the first episode all the way up to what was then the current episode.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Maerj wrote:You really don't have to start from the *very* beginning.
Agreed. I'd start with 'Blink' however, because it works wonderfully well as a standalone episode and is a better place to start than the actual first episode of the new series. If you're interested in Doctor Who DD, Blink and the rest of the new series can be found easily on websites like dailymotion. Just to clarify however: the new series isn't a reboot, it's a continuation, but is more accessible than most of the classic series would be (besides the earliest black-and-white episodes from the 1960's of course).