Kevin Lima to Direct 'Candy Land'

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Kevin Lima to Direct 'Candy Land'

Post by Sotiris »

Universal has hired Kung Fu Panda writers Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger to pen the script for a movie based on the board game Candy Land and directed by Kevin Lima (Enchanted). The development of Candy Land falls under Universal’s worst deal of all-time that they made with Hasbro back in 2008. If you’re wondering why a studio would waste time on movies like Battleship and Stretch Armstrong, there’s your answer. The film has been in development since 2008 and various writers, including Etan Cohen (Tropic Thunder) and Chris Morgan (Wanted) have worked on the project.

Heat Vision reports that Candy Land is being fashioned as a “a live-action epic adventure.” The story has the protagonists tasked with finding the lost king of Candy Land. Players of the board game wind their way through locales like Candy Cane Forest and Gum Drop Mountain.
Source: http://collider.com/candy-land-jonathan ... ima/82902/
Last edited by Sotiris on Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

If done skillfully, this could be a very good family film. And considering the production crew, it should be.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I actually so want to see this no matter how bad it could turn out. I mean, live-action Candy Land itself is just something I wanna see.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Re: Kevin Lima to Direct 'Candy Land' for Universal

Post by Super Aurora »

Sotiris wrote:
Universal has hired Kung Fu Panda writers Jonathan Aibel and Glenn Berger to pen the script for a movie based on the board game Candy Land and directed by Kevin Lima (Enchanted). The development of Candy Land falls under Universal’s worst deal of all-time that they made with Hasbro back in 2008. If you’re wondering why a studio would waste time on movies like Battleship and Stretch Armstrong, there’s your answer. The film has been in development since 2008 and various writers, including Etan Cohen (Tropic Thunder) and Chris Morgan (Wanted) have worked on the project.

Heat Vision reports that Candy Land is being fashioned as a “a live-action epic adventure.” The story has the protagonists tasked with finding the lost king of Candy Land. Players of the board game wind their way through locales like Candy Cane Forest and Gum Drop Mountain.

I'm 12, and what's this?
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Re: Kevin Lima to Direct 'Candy Land' for Universal

Post by TheValentineBros »

Sotiris wrote:

This is somewhat decent, but yet at the same time, I say... WTF?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I hope he buys something really nice with his paycheck.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sony Pictures, having enjoyed a startling success with the The Smurfs, is venturing into Candy Land with Adam Sandler. The studio and Sandler's Happy Madison shingle are negotiating to take over the live-action project based on the classic Hasbro board game from Universal, which is ending its four-year-old deal with Hasbro under which the studio was to make four or more features based on the toy and game company's properties. Kevin Lima (Enchanted/Tarzan) will direct the Sony movie from a script by Sandler and Robert Smigel.

The industry is watching with interest to see whether it is possible to turn board games into the kind of branded entertainment that worked so well for Hasbro with the Transformers series at Paramount.

"Candy Land is more than just a game," said Columbia Pictures president Doug Belgrad in a statement announcing the deal. "It is a brand that children, parents and grandparents know and love. The world of Candy Land offers an extraordinary canvas upon which to create a fantastical, live-action family adventure film with a larger than life part for Adam. We are thrilled to partner with Hasbro and Happy Madison on this project."
Source: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/h ... vie-286139
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

They had me with Kevin Lima... and lost me with Adam Sandler. Not to be a stereotypical Adam Sandler hater as I do like a lot of his movies, but his writing tends to be uneven, often focusing on highly stereotypical, cliched characters rather than any serious attempt at development. Plus we all know how his "magical" Bedtime Stories turned out in the end.
ImageImageImageImage

Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

pap64 wrote:They had me with Kevin Lima... and lost me with Adam Sandler.
Lol nice one and I'd say that's how I feel, too.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Here's the thing. I know many people criticized this idea (as the original source said this was "a horrible thing"), but whereas something like Battleship has no coherent story and universe beyond the navy aesthetic, Candyland HAS characters and HAS an universe, an universe that can feature a great story. That doesn't guarantee that it will be good, but it would make more sense than, say, Battleship.

Plus, let's not forget the fact that it has been a while since we have had a magical candy world story. The only thing we have if I am not mistaken are Burton's Willy Wonka movie and Katy Perry's California Girls (and that was highly sexualized). I say it's time to have us a magical candy world story.

Besides, I recall a board game based movie that I am sure people labeled it a "big mistake", but ended up being a cult classic. What was the name again?

Hmmm...

But all kidding aside, I was one of the few that vouched for a Candyland movie with the right talent since it does more merit than many people give it credit.

...BUT WHY WAS SANDLER INVOLVED?

Just you watch... Soon they will greenlight Operation the movie, starring Kevin James as a patient that is the victim of a horrible procedure where they give him a red bulb nose and several things like wrenches and butterflies. And anyone that tries to do work on him gets shocked to death.
ImageImageImageImage

DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

A movie based on a board game...

How exactly can you take a board game and make a story out of it? I mean, it was doable with Transformers (which wasn't really a board game), but still... :?
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

pap64 wrote:They had me with Kevin Lima... and lost me with Adam Sandler.
:lol:

Funny because it's true. :p
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

DisneyJedi wrote:A movie based on a board game...

How exactly can you take a board game and make a story out of it? I mean, it was doable with Transformers (which wasn't really a board game), but still... :?
*Ahem

ImageImageImageImage