What Movie Did You Just Watch? ...Rises

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Pokeholic_Prince wrote:
disneyboy20022 wrote:I just got done watching Rise of The Guardians. I Love it more than ParaNorman.

It's too bad it didn't do well enough in theaters to get a sequel, but it works well as a stand alone film too.
I totally love "Rise of the Guardians." It was my 2nd favorite animated film and 7th overall. It's a shame that it didn't get nominated for animated feature or score, which it beautiful.
It was more worthy to be nominated than that Pirates! Band of Misfits Movie in my opinion
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

True that and "Brave"
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

No way!!!! "Rise of the Guardians", while a very good animated movie would not stand a chance against the film "Brave".

We are talking apples and oranges here. Both films have stories to tell, and I think that both are equal in their story-telling. But I like both films for different reasons, but to say that "Guardians" is better than "Brave" is way off base.

We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to movies. But I think blatant statements like that need to be kept to yourself.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

:brick:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

dvdjunkie wrote:
We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to movies. But I think blatant statements like that need to be kept to yourself.
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ztVMib1T4T4" frameborder="0"></iframe>

I agree, I liked Rise of the Guardians much better than Brave but Wreck It Ralph trumps both

However I do think Guardians should have been nominated over Pirates band of misfits and that Brave did deserve to be nominated along with Guardians. I thought Guardians was a real original idea and I enjoyed the back story of Jack Frost. I thought Guardians was more original than Brave in my opinion. I mean it's not like we've seen a story where a main character is turn into a bear through magica...oh wait

Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

The Kids Are All Right - A wonderful and remarkable film. It ultimately makes the lesbian couple appear normal and everyday via the portrayal of their marriage and their love like any other's - hard, fluctuating, frequently frustrating, yet persistent, surviving and rather special. Rendering it even more touching is the subtle secondary theme about growing up, and the accompanying freedoms growing up entails. But doubtlessly my favourite element is the relatable and oddly charming manner of dialogue and conversations: peppered with unspoken feelings and ideas, awkward, courteous, uncertain, and wholly naturalistic. The spark of realism makes it a heart-warming story, and the superlatively convincing performances - Annette Bening's role in particular fits her like a glove - bring honesty to the tale, a story as odd, surprising, tragic, messy and delightful as life itself. The fact that it keeps its sentiment restrained until a handful of key scenes makes them all the more powerful, and the character interactions are also made more believable at the result. The final moments continue the pattern of emotional restraint during the resolution, yet this is comforting in a way; it's as though those moments are telling us that happy endings or solutions can be arrived at simply, merely when we want them to happen. Put simply, that message, wrapped up in this life-affirming poem of a movie, makes The Kids Are All Right one of the most touching films I have ever seen. Oh, and it's quite hilarious too.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

dvdjunkie wrote:We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to movies. But I think blatant statements like that need to be kept to yourself.
. . .

I also thought Guardians was a better film than Brave.
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

I like that film quite a bit as well. The honesty in the story, the indifference of the type of marriage, and the overall story about family is really touching. I like how it tells its tale in a comedic way. Annette Benning is awesome in the film as well as Julianne Morre, their on screen chemistry is commendable and really sweet.
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

Oz: The Great and Powerful.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Re:

Post by Mooky »

enigmawing wrote:
dvdjunkie wrote:We all have our own likes and dislikes when it comes to movies. But I think blatant statements like that need to be kept to yourself.
. . .

I also thought Guardians was a better film than Brave.
Pssst.... Regardless of the font size, you're supposed to keep statements like that to yourself... :shifty:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Re: What Movie Did You Just Watch? ...Rises

Post by disneyboy20022 »

I watched Ted yesterday. It was surprisingly entertaining. It wasn't total vulgar jokes all the time, it had heart, had jokes much more in good taste than I thought it would have been. I would highly recommend it to anyone who likes comedies.

Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Sleeping Beauty - Firstly, the music, animation, layouts and backgrounds were - as usual - overwhelming. Beautiful, awe-inspiring, gorgeousness and gorgeousity made flesh...I cannot figuratively worship Eyvind Earle enough. Regardless of any faults in the film's substance, his extraordinarily sumptuous magnum opus of detail and design makes Sleeping Beauty mesmerising, striking and utterly absorbing. Sadly, the plot itself is a tad underwhelming at times, but, to be perfectly frank, who cares? The animation is breathtaking in its sublime quality, whereas Aurora and Philip are breathtaking in their dullness, yet the music and visuals (mostly) make up for that. As do the rather delightful supporting characters: the brilliantly-written Fairies (miles ahead of the Mice in Cinderella and even the Dwarfs in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs in terms of characterisation), as well as the likably affable Stefan and the well-rounded (in more ways than one) character of Hubert. The most shocking thing to me, watching again after seeing it about ten times, is that Maleficent is a lot less compelling and interesting than before. Her entrance is chilling and she's terrific in dragon form, but other than that, she's just a rather run-of-the-mill pantomime villain, shouting and cackling far too much. Eleanor Audley's earlier work as Lady Tremaine is far more threatening, menacing and creepy - not to mention despicable. I don't have particularly strong feelings either way for Maleficent. Cinderella is better than Aurora too.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Rise of the Guardians (2012) 6.5/10 - Like with Pixar's Brave, I feel the teaser trailer was very misleading. It suggested a movie full of wonder, whimsy and spectacle (sandman) but instead it was full of chaos. This movie's biggest problem is it's identity crisis. It wants to be a superhero movie full of quick cuts and a bombastic score (Why do they have a superhero theme? It doesn't belong and makes me cringe every time) but then it also wants to be that magical tale that the teaser suggested (these scenes are few and far between). What this movie needed was another half hour to counter the frantic action and exposition heavy scenes with some character moments (the Easter Bunny is never really developed and remains no more then a cool design) and probably should've been dialed back to more of a personal journey for Jack Frost (our time alone with him; like the opening scene in the lake, in Antarctica with Baby Tooth, when the child sees him for the first time, are some of the best in the movie). The movie also needed a much stronger villain. Pitch is just too boring in design, personality, hell, even his lair is boring. Should've ditched the human form and kept him a shadowy figure who sucks the color out of a scene and scares the shit out of you. On a positive not, the celebrity voice acting actually works out for once and the character designs are...appealing. Usually DreamWorks has some of the ugliest human characters in the business but here even the disposable children are appealing (I was worried I wouldn't like this interpretation of Tooth Fairy but she ended up being one of my favorite characters. It was Santa who I didn't like, with his obnoxiously loud personality and boxy character design). Overall, it wasn't a terrible movie, just a misguided one that to me is a huge missed opportunity. In the end, I think we can all agree that it didn't deserve to bomb at the box office and worst yet, cost 350 animators their jobs, when we all know the company has made far worse movies.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Closing this now that we've reached 40 pages... discussion continues in Volume 11 ("The Just-Us League") here.
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod