DreamWorks' Rise of the Guardians

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re:

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Jules wrote: And it's not a Christmas film at all! It's an Easter film. Everything happens before, during and after Easter.
It's good then that I finally got to see it (through Netflix) around Easter. :P

I personally liked it, though I can see why it may not have done well. The concept is a bit cheesy, with Tooth Fairy especially. Regardless, I personally enjoyed it. Santa Claus/North was my least favorite character, and Jack was my favorite. I feel like Pitch could have been executed so much better than he was. I didn't even mind Jude Law playing him (though for some reason it didn't feel like he took a role in an animated film seriously...but that might just be me.); he just looked a bit like Hades to me, but I especially didn't like his movements/hands, for some reason. I did like the common thread he had with Jack about not being believed in (and, embarrassed to say, it had me reading some slash fanfiction. :P ), but I wish it had been explored more. You'd think Tooth, Bunny, etc. would have had more sympathy for Pitch at the beginning or the ending because he wasn't believed in; they certainly didn't like that feeling when it happened to them. (I'm one of those people who likes the heroes to recognize the pain the villain has possibly went through, even if they still must/should be punished at the end.) Minor notes: I didn't really get the epiphany moment Jack had after he finally saw his lost memories; I don't know how that revealed anything about his situation or center, other than the story needed it to... I also didn't understand how Jack/Pitch had powers while children didn't believe in them, when Tooth/North/Bunny lost their powers as they were beginning to be forgotten. I didn't get Pitch's existence either, if all the guardians were created by the Man in the Moon, or what positive center he could ever have had to justify his existence--pre-determined to be evil, I guess? And I liked the Tooth Fairy, especially her voice actress (Hugh Jackman was also a stand-out, imo), but it seemed like she had no powers besides being able to fly.

I did hate the last 5 seconds--"When the moon tells you something--believe it!" :roll: :lol: I couldn't help thinking of Naruto. Regardless, overall I liked the movie. I would've been nice to have seen sequels to this rather than, say, Madagascar. There was a lot there I think they could've explored in a sequel, particularly other characters who aren't guardians. I also read it is based on a book series, and I've been thinking of buying it. Has anyone read the three books that are already out, and could give an opinion on them?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"