Mad Men!!!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Mad Men!!!

Post by PatrickvD »

Few people watch it, but by God is this show delectable. The season six premiere was glorious and if anyone watches it, share your thoughts. If no one watched it... well.... this:

Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: Mad Men!!!

Post by Avaitor »

This will happen to you if you don't watch the show.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

I need to start watching this show! I've heard nothing but wonderful things!
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

It really is a spectacular show. Easily among the best that TV has to offer.

I should probably make a list of my favorite shows currently airing, actually.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

So what the hell was up with that fifty shades of grey crap two weeks ago? The only episode I've ever really disliked. I get it, Don is messed up. There was no need for that. And I'm glad Sylvia ended things after that humiliation.

Other than that, this season is still on a roll. Last week's drug induced wackiness was awesome. And Betty is thin and bitchy again. I've missed her so much. :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Bliss. Bliss and heaven.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

That was amazing.

Poor Dawn, I bet that place messes with her head.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Well, it's her job.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Betty's revenge on Don was sweeeeet.

I cheered. :woot:

Oh and how hot is the chemistry between January Jones and Jon Hamm?! It's crazy hot.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Ooh, EW actually posted a really good article in relation to Betty on their website.

Here.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Thanks. Interesting analysis.

I always hoped Betty would find her way back to her true self after she finally rid herself from Don. Initially I thought Henry was wrong for her, but now I think he was exactly what she needed. He seems to give her more emotional freedom and room to breath. While Don was simply suffocating her 24/7.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I think season 3 was Betty's strongest season, as the whole of it was left to her getting deeper into Don's character and realizing that she's better off without him. Season 3 was a bit of a change overall though, as it took the show's earlier side focus from Peggy and Pete and instead decided to build on Betty and Roger, while still keeping Don front and center. The show would later bring focus back on Peggy and Pete, as well as do a lot for Joan and Lane, but Betty's been stuck into the sideline after leaving Don.

This season has been the best for Betty since 3, with this episode quite possibly being the icing on the cake.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

I agree with everything.

In my opinion, it was necessary to have Betty in the background for a while. Complete with weight gain.

Now that she's 'back' she's better than ever. Don no longer intimidates her. It looks like she just feels sorry for him at this point. And the bond with her children appears to be healthier.

I really love Betty 2.0. She's a far cry from the socially anxious mental patient from season 1.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Poor Sally. First she saw Megan's mom give Sterling a bj, then this. She's going to be in the therapist's chair for years.

And I loved that bit Pete's mom had at him. So bitter, but undeniably sweet. :twisted:
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Yeah, but what about Bob, huh?!?!?

Was he faking? Pete was voicing his disgust over homosexuals and he makes a pass at him? Was he testing him? That scene was so confusing.

And did Pete secretly like it or something? I have no idea what happened there.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

PatrickvD wrote:Yeah, but what about Bob, huh?!?!?

Was he faking? Pete was voicing his disgust over homosexuals and he makes a pass at him? Was he testing him? That scene was so confusing.

And did Pete secretly like it or something? I have no idea what happened there.
Your guess is as good as mine, but I can tell that this finale will be a fun one.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I have recently gotten hooked on this show thanks to Netflix, I'm halfway through season 5. I agree I love the Betty of Season 4-5 much more then the earlier years. She was wound so tight always on edge she's finally starting to calm down, as a nostalgia buff one of my favorite parts of the show is seeing Robert Morse again he does the part of Bertram Cooper perfectly.

Also they nailed the era so perfectly, the Ann-Margret reference from when she did Bye Bye Birdie was great. I hope they pick it up for a seventh season.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Disney Guru wrote:I hope they pick it up for a seventh season.
Matt Weiner signed a big contract a year or two ago, which set the show to go to seven seasons. Chances are strong that this is where it'll end, but at least we know that it's running for that long.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

So far I'm enjoying season 6 quite a lot.

I'd say it's slightly above season 5, on par with 4, but below the amazingly brilliant first three seasons.

The last episode was very good. Kiernan Shipka has really grown into the role of Sally. She's one of the more three dimensional characters and her scenes with Jon Hamm are brilliant. I truly believe they are father and daughter. I hope they don't put her through too much traumatizing stuff though. I would love to see her become an incredibly rebellious teenager next season.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Betty giving Sally a cigarette was just.... pure poetry.

Easily my favorite scene this season. In a bizarre way, Betty is the better parent now. Don is literally going to hell.... :lol: