My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Margos
Anniversary Edition

My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic

Post by Margos »

So, am I the only one who has found themselves waaaay more addicted to this show than makes any sense? C'mon, any bronies out there?

The whole series is up on YouTube if you aren't yet aware of how awesome it is.
http://dragonsbane.webs.com
http://childrenofnight.webs.com

^My websites promoting my two WIP novels! Check them out for exclusive content!
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

ABOUT TIME SOMEONE TALKED ABOUT FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!

*Is a brony

But all kidding aside and leaving behind the silly fandom and all the internet memes, Friendship is Magic is an excellent show once you realize its a merchandise/franchise driven show aimed at a young female audience.

The reason why is because unlike other cartoon revivals the creators took the franchise seriously. Rather than just creating cute characters and placing them in cookie cutter situations and conflicts, they instead created characters with distinctive personalities, conflicts that are much more interesting and they managed to make it very humorous.

In other words, they made it so that both kids and their parents could watch it together without one or the other feeling left out.

I mean, try watching the MLP G3 series. It's clear that they wanted to aim at JUST one audience type, and thus it becomes a near painful experience.

Then there's the art style. It's not the best style ever made (in fact, at times the designs of the ponies clash with the design of some of the other characters and creatures), but at least it has STYLE. Once again this is a merchandise driven show, and often companies want the show to look appealing so that merchandise is sold. It's amazing that Hasbro let the creative team be as unique in their interpretation of the MLP franchise.

In fact, it makes collecting the toys far more interesting.

I really like how it doesn't always take itself seriously, and actually pokes fun at itself and other moral driven series. Take this Pinkie Pie song for example:
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/EvqOwgiXR-U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This is the type of song you would expect in an educational show. It talks about being friendly with people and sharing with them. But instead of leading to a cheesy scene where the morals are repeated over and over again... IT STARTS A WAR! I am surprised they got away with it since the moral of the story IS to learn and share your goods with other people.

A lot of people are wondering why are they loving the show so much. Well, Friendship is Magic is unlike any other cartoon show out there. In the "Worst children's show ever" thread, I mentioned how many of today's cartoon series lack a solid premise. Sure, they tell you what it is about and who stars in it, but most of the time they focus on being random for the hell of it, like Adventure Time. The show (for me at least) becomes less appealing as I want them to develop the characters and give us a structurally sound world we can believe in.

Friendship is Magic does that very well. You have well developed, interesting characters we can cheer for, you have this fascinating universe with unique creatures and a great mythos behind it all, and it is all cohesive. Yes, it can get very random at times (hence why Pinkie Pie exists), but it focuses on developing its stories rather than just being humor and gag based.

The series reminds me a lot of series like Arthur, Babar and even The Magic School Bus. They all were designed to appeal to a younger market and teach lessons they could use in their lives. But they told these great stories with very fun characters, so even when you watched them as adults you still got a kick out of them.

Friendship is Magic teaches lessons, some better than others, but it doesn't feel condescending about it and DOESN'T YELL AT US ALL THE DAMN TIME ABOUT IT.

I could easily go on why the show works. Its no wonder it has gained so much popularity.

That and Derpy Hooves, you can't go wrong with her...

ImageImageImageImage

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

This is definitely the best show on The Hub. The person who made this was Lauren Faust, wife of Craig McKraken. She has done a fine job with this show. Highly recommend it!
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

It has also yielded some HILARIOUS online images!

And even more awesome music videos!
<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/6zHZj8Xp-Ik" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/irQ_d78feMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ftvZFUg4HPc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
ImageImageImageImage

Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

love this show. pinkie pie and rainbow dash are the shit!
<i>Please limit signatures to 100 pixels high and 500 pixels wide</i>
http://i1338.photobucket.com/albums/o68 ... ecf3d2.gif
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Love the show for all the reasons Pap listed. I mean "horse-drawn, horse-drawn carriages"? Some of the gags are funnier than stuff on shows aimed at adults.

I actually like all the ponies and can't really pick a favorite. They all have thier moments from Fluttershy practicing her cheers ("yay!") to Rarity handeling getting kidnapped through excessive whinning to even minor characters like that crazy fashion designer, it's all good.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Oh and for those wondering, Ponies have made their way into the wonderful world of Disney...

:lol:
ImageImageImageImage

Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0BpquDZEyUI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, Fluttershy is the bomb.
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

I like how the phoenix is such a troll. He's call by the fandom- The Phoenix Troll.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

You know what I realized? Since the UD Gleeks have their thread, the UD Bronies should use this thread for episode discussion and such. I will start this Friday and keep it updated.
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Well, as promised, here are my thoughts on today's episode:
"Owl's Well that Ends Well" is a Spike centric story about how Twilight Sparkle find a new assistant in an owl. This makes Spike jealous.

While I felt the story wasn't as strong as in the last episode, this did have some great moments. Spike is simply ADORABLE in this one. Even when he dons a cape, a hat and a curly mustache and he is trying to be evil, he is still an adorable bugger.

The rest of the characters have very little presence in this episode. You will see them at the beginning during a meteor shower, and Pinkie Pie shows up later on for a cameo, but that's it. I wound up missing them as usually even when they focus on a minor character (like the Cutie Mark Crusaders) the main characters still show up.

But Rainbow Dash and Pinkie Pie do have great lines and scenes. Rainbow Dash makes one of the CMC her slave briefly, and Pinkie Pie has a great pun...

Spike is running to get punch for everybody. He falls asleep and Pinkie Pie says "Looks like the punch...has been SPIKED!".

YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH! 8)

Overall, it was a solid episode. The story wasn't as strong as before, but it does have its moments, and if you love Spike this is going to be a great episode for you.
ImageImageImageImage

Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

pap64 wrote:and if you love Spike this is going to be a great episode for you.
See I love Spike, so I loved this episode and all his adorableness. Even when he's evil and trying to make a fake bloody mouse corpse. The running gag involving "who?" managed to work out too and it had a cool dragon chase to top it all off!

"Need a sofa?" :lol:
Super Aurora
Diamond Edition

Post by Super Aurora »

Miss today's episode. Too busy drawing. will watch it on Jewtube soon just like all other episodes I've done.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

One interesting thing about this episode is that fans are beginning to hate the owl. One comment on YouTube called him a "Mary Sue" character. In a way, I can't help but agree.

He comes out of nowhere, becomes friends with the main character, helps her out all the time to the point of driving Spike into jealousy, and then saves the day at the end.

Maybe it's just me, but the owl kinda dragged things down for me. But Spike managed to save it.

Really, it's amazing how solid the writing in this show is. Even at its weakest Friendship is Magic still manages to be funny and interesting to watch.
ImageImageImageImage

pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Well, it's Friday. You know what this means...

NEW PONY EPISODE!

Today's episode is called "Party for one". It's a Pinkie Pie centric episode. After she throws a birthday party for Gummy (her pet alligator) she suspects that her friends no longer care for her because they hadn't answered her invite to the after birthday party.

This was a really fun episode! Of course I love Pinkie Pie, so that helped. There were a lot of great highlights and character moments.

Here are some of them:
- Gummy is oddly adorable for someone that doesn't speak and just stands there

- Pinkie's singing telegram at the beginning was extremely cute! I love how she made an outfit out of confetti launches XD .

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AW8MdKXMFlM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

- But what's this? A TIRED Pinkie Pie??? So it's true, even hyperactive people need to rest as well :p

- Liked the birthday party at the beginning, so many fun scenes.

- Am I the only one that thought that paranoid and angry Pinkie Pie was a tad disturbing? I mean, she wasn't as bad as she was in "Green isn't your color" (FOREVEEEEEEEEEER!!!!), but the way she looked at the ponies was kind of creepy :p

- Aaaw, sad Pinkie Pie has flat, ordinary hair, like she did when she was a fillie. And I swear to God she even loses her cutie mark for a second when that happens.

Overall, this was a fun episode. I give it a B for some great Pinkie Pie moments.

Next week should be a great season finale as they finally go to the Grand Galloping Gala first mentioned in episode 3!
ImageImageImageImage

Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

pap64 wrote:- Am I the only one that thought that paranoid and angry Pinkie Pie was a tad disturbing? I mean, she wasn't as bad as she was in "Green isn't your color" (FOREVEEEEEEEEEER!!!!), but the way she looked at the ponies was kind of creepy :p
She was creepy, but in a very funny way. The way the backgrounds just went all abstact and skewed, while PP had a derp expression talking to flour sacks and rock piles was amazing. :lol:
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Holy crap you guys! My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is pissing off conservatives.

Check it out:
http://www.conservativesforum.com/cgi-b ... 04136451/0

So in short, Ponies are ruining the perfect vision of the American male.

To this I say...

ImageImageImageImage

Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

pap64 wrote:Holy crap you guys! My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is pissing off conservatives.
EVERYTHING pisses off twats like them.

oh well....

Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

That was.... hilarious and extremely upsetting all in one. Those people are actually convinced that this show is de-masculizing males. :lol: