Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Finally saw this the other day, when my sister brought over a copy. I did have lowered expectations before viewing this movie, but I was still disappointed with it. Mostly with Charlize Theron’s performance, which I found overrated. She did a pretty good job, of course, but not the amazing performance some reviews have suggested. I can’t help but think that the entire film would be elevated if Keira Knightley or Natalie Portman had been cast as Snow White, however. I do appreciate that Kristen Stewart, thankfully, doesn’t twitch in this film like she does in everything else I’ve seen of her, though I think most people can agree that she’s neither endearing or beautiful enough to be cast as SW.

The Huntsman was probably my favorite character, though his backstory was a little generic. I almost thought the Queen’s brother reminded me of the villain from that old, off-brand animated Snow White sequel from the ‘90s--also the Queen’s brother.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

I saw this in the second-run theatre just before it was released. I really like it. I feel kinda weird for liking it, though, because everyone seems to detest it. But I'm a fantasy junkie, so I guess it appeals to me more than the average person. The visuals in this movie are a dream come true. After reading innumerable fantasy books, I FINALLY got to see marsh people in a movie. :D The scenery, costumes, special effects, and music are all fabulous. And the LotR rip-off scene with Ionna Gika singing in the background: chills! :)

The acting is adequate enough for me. I honestly don't have a problem with Kristen Stewart's acting in SWatH. This was the first movie I ever saw her in, besides Catch That Kid back in the day and snatches of Zathura on TV. I felt like she was trying to portray Snow White realistically as a girl who had been locked up and abused her whole life. I don't think that kind of background would make me particularly charismatic, at least. (I have since seen two of the Twilight movies *gag* and some of Adventureland. She acts pretty much the same. BUT, I still think her acting suits Snow White the best). Chris Hemsworth and Sam Claflin did great, I thought. The only acting that bugged me was Charlize Theron. I felt like she was way over the top and having a difficult time mastering her accent.

I don't get why no one likes the end. It's a standard ending. :?

To me, it was a movie like Tron: Legacy, in which the style is so good, the story doesn't matter quite as much. Only, I liked it better than Tron: Legacy.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think no one likes the ending because we expected something bigger. Nothing seemed to come from Snow White except the stab trick she learned from the Huntsman...and being able to magically mysteriously make anything better, without her actually doing anything. No singing, no special way of doing things, everything just becomes better if she's near. Because...she's magic? What? And there was no reunited hug or kiss with the Huntsman. No passion between them. It's called Snow White and the Huntsman and all that happens is they walk and talk together! Wasn't it supposed to have some relationship between them?

But lol yea that was an LotR reference in that one scene.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Disney Duster wrote:I think no one likes the ending because we expected something bigger. Nothing seemed to come from Snow White except the stab trick she learned from the Huntsman...and being able to magically mysteriously make anything better, without her actually doing anything. No singing, no special way of doing things, everything just becomes better if she's near. Because...she's magic? What? And there was no reunited hug or kiss with the Huntsman. No passion between them. It's called Snow White and the Huntsman and all that happens is they walk and talk together! Wasn't it supposed to have some relationship between them?

But lol yea that was an LotR reference in that one scene.
Well, she did kill Queen Ravenna, and I was under the impression that all the Queen's mirror minion things died with her. So, there was nothing to fight at the end. Sure, the forest would still be poisonous, but the people would be safer (and happier), and a time of reconstruction and healing would commence. That's how I saw it. My family thought the same thing about a lack of romantic resolution, but that didn't bother me. :P
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ah, of course you didn't mind the lack of romance (you still boggle me with you aromantic desires). :) But whether you do or you don't like romance it doesn't matter that romance was what the film tried for and failed on.

You are right that technically the film had Snow White kill the queen and all the bad that had befallen the kingdom, but the way they did it just felt not big enough. The queen throws Snow around a lot, walks through a fire, and gets killed by a trick taught to Snow at the beginning of the film. I can see how people would think that's clever, and sure it's clever but still not the big thing we were expecting. Snow White didn't learn to become a better fighter or to use all of her power to kill the queen in a long, hard-fought battle. She simply uses a trick when Ravenna is on top of her. If you think that's enough, it's just not was enough for a looot of people.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

Oooohh, so you didn't like the way Ravenna was defeated. I honestly don't remember much about that scene. I don't own the movie yet, but I'm hoping to get it on Black Friday or Cyber Monday. I'll have to get back to you on that. But judging by my lack of memory of the climax, you may very well be right.

If you're still boggled about asexuality just look it up. :)
http://www.asexuality.org/home/
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

But that link said that even some asexual people want intimate and romantic relationships.
Linden
Special Edition

Post by Linden »

It does sort of say that in one part. :? It confuses me too, especially since their definition of an asexual is "a person who does not experience sexual attraction." My best guess is that it's a desire to explore normality, see why other people want it kind of thing. But just because it's possible, it's not a need, and only some asexuals have romantic relationships, sexual or not.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Disney's Divinity wrote:The Huntsman was probably my favorite character, though his backstory was a little generic. I almost thought the Queen’s brother reminded me of the villain from that old, off-brand animated Snow White sequel from the ‘90s--also the Queen’s brother.
Oh my goodness, I actually was in LOVE with that movie; there was one point when I used to watch it more than the actual Snow White VHS when I was a kid !!

Huge urge to watch it now ...... :oops:
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I watched it a lot more than the Disney Snow White, too, believe me. It isn’t the greatest movie, but I was never a fan of the Disney film. It’s still so strange to me that Mother Nature was in a Snow White film. :lol: She was my favorite character though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"