Snow White and the Huntsman (2012)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disney Duster wrote:I guess most things really did start with being books or plays, huh? But they did make original things. Citizen Kane was original. I mean it was kinda based on another guy's life, but...Close Encounters of the Third Kind is original! So is Star Wars! There's definately more.
yes, but my point is those types of movies only come once a generation. maybe twice. I mean when you *really* think about it, there arent that many well-known movies from any one decade in the past. there are a few, some more famous than others, but those are the ones that really stood out. I dont like that more movies than ever are being produced at the current rate, but I cant say they're all crap just because the worst of them are.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

ajmrowland wrote:yes, but my point is those types of movies only come once a generation. maybe twice.
Inception was the last of those films I think. I don't know about anyone else but I've never seen a film like that before.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

ajmrowland wrote:
yes, but my point is those types of movies only come once a generation. maybe twice. I mean when you *really* think about it, there arent that many well-known movies from any one decade in the past. there are a few, some more famous than others, but those are the ones that really stood out. I dont like that more movies than ever are being produced at the current rate, but I cant say they're all crap just because the worst of them are.[/quote]
You mean you can't think of any films like that that happened in the [ul]last decade[/u], the 2000's? That would make more sense to me. It seems to me movies have produced at least some memorable, top greatness classics up until the 2000's.
DisneyAnimation88 wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:yes, but my point is those types of movies only come once a generation. maybe twice.
Inception was the last of those films I think. I don't know about anyone else but I've never seen a film like that before.
Oh man really...well it was original, but it doesn't have the good and memorableness or sheer "magic" (for lack of a better word) or legacy of stuff like Close Encounters or Star Wars. It's not just nostalgia or the fact less movies with amazing special effects came out back then, right? Those films genuinely felt more...dear...special, I think. I recently saw Close Encounters on TV, I had never watched it when I was little, and the thing felt so...fuzzy, warm, nice, mysterious, "magical". I really don't like to use that word except for Disney movies but alas, magical is a word that comes to mind.

Hm...maybe Harry Potter...and The Lord of the Rings...except that they were books first of course.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I loved inception but I think hugo was the last truly magical movie I saw.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

ajmrowland wrote:I loved inception but I think hugo was the last truly magical movie I saw.
Same here. Hugo is a beautiful movie, and watching it for the first time was the best experience I've ever had at the cinema.
DisneyAnimation88
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyAnimation88 »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh man really...well it was original, but it doesn't have the good and memorableness or sheer "magic" (for lack of a better word) or legacy of stuff like Close Encounters or Star Wars.
I think it does. It's impossible to really judge what kind of legacy Inception might have when it only came out two years ago but to me it is very much a classic. In an era where we're inundated in big-budget franchise films like Twilight that simply aren't very good at all (personally I think they're terrible), a film like Inception serves as a reminder that original films that aren't a remake or an adaptation can be both critical and commercial successes. For me, and I know some here might strongly disagree, Christopher Nolan is a modern-day Hitchcock; I think all of his films have been nothing short of outstanding and that he is one of the few true visionary directors that still work in Hollywood today. In short, I think he's a genius.
Disney Duster wrote:I recently saw Close Encounters on TV, I had never watched it when I was little, and the thing felt so...fuzzy, warm, nice, mysterious, "magical".
A film doesn't have to make you feel those things to be "magical" though. Alien is my film but it doesn't make me feel fuzzy or warm in the slightest, it makes me feel the opposite; unnerved and tense but as a film, for me it remains a "magical" experience when I watch it. I see what you're saying, we all take different things and feelings from different films but I would personally place Inception on a par with the first Star Wars film because both left me awestruck when I first watched them.
ajmrowland wrote:I loved inception but I think hugo was the last truly magical movie I saw.
Dr.Frankenollie wrote:Same here. Hugo is a beautiful movie, and watching it for the first time was the best experience I've ever had at the cinema.
I never got to see Hugo in the cinema because I was busy writing my dissertation at the time but it's definitely on my list of filmss I'll to check out on Blu Ray.
We're not going to Guam, are we?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Hm. Well maybe those films are as good. I do at least agree that Alien is also a great classic. I wouldn't call it magical but I guess I know what you mean, how incredible it still feels to this day.

My grandfather said Hugo was bad but you two say its good so maybe someday I'll see it since now I'm interested.

It would be nice if it was true and classic, good, "magical" movies really aren't impossible to make in the future.

Or maybe today there's just too many movies and we're too divided and diverse as a society and culture to really have the same big classics as the past. That would go for bands too, wouldn't it?
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^i've never heard one person say something bad about Hugo before.
ethanoscars

Post by ethanoscars »

Snow White and the Huntsman is one of most adventures movie. Chris Hemsworth is one of versatile actor. His Thor is completely amazing! The dramatic scenes of this movie are really superb! Charlize Theron is really looking one of incredible role in this movie.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

ethanoscars wrote:Snow White and the Huntsman is one of most adventures movie. Chris Hemsworth is one of versatile actor. His Thor is completely amazing! The dramatic scenes of this movie are really superb! Charlize Theron is really looking one of incredible role in this movie.
You are right, Charlize is wonderful in the role! Rivals even the Disney ladies I think :wink:

And welcome to the forum ! :)
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Next Tuesday is the release date for "Snow White & The Huntsman" on DVD and Blu-ray. Cannot wait, will be in front of the line at Best Buy next Tuesday to get mine.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Finally saw this! I give it 2 out of 4 stars. This is what I wrote to my friend (he wanted me to see it first before he saw it):

Snow White and the Huntsman: KS wasn't that bad, CT stole the show (even though her acting was over the top, but only because everyone else sucked), CH's accent was awful, the pacing was bad, the plot was all over the place, the writing was ok, the action was awesome, sets were on point, costumes were good, and the ending was wtf? All in all, I would see it but don't expect a masterpiece. It was an interesting retelling, but not the best retelling of Snow White. Oh and there was no chemistry between KS and CH. Well, there could have been, but the writing didn't give them enough material for me to believe they were falling in love. CH had a horrible Scottish accent. Oh and he was the narrator, which sucked because I am a sucker for a good prologue, especially for fairy tales, so I had to use context clues to understand what he was saying. Btw, the movie is 127 minutes. 122 minutes would have been avoided if King Magnus (Snow's father) did not marry Ravenna (CT's character). He was stupid. You'll see what I mean!
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

tsom wrote:
Snow White and the Huntsman: KS wasn't that bad, CT stole the show (even though her acting was over the top, but only because everyone else sucked), CH's accent was awful, the pacing was bad, the plot was all over the place, the writing was ok, the action was awesome, sets were on point, costumes were good, and the ending was wtf? All in all, I would see it but don't expect a masterpiece. It was an interesting retelling, but not the best retelling of Snow White. Oh and there was no chemistry between KS and CH. Well, there could have been, but the writing didn't give them enough material for me to believe they were falling in love. CH had a horrible Scottish accent. Oh and he was the narrator, which sucked because I am a sucker for a good prologue, especially for fairy tales, so I had to use context clues to understand what he was saying. Btw, the movie is 127 minutes. 122 minutes would have been avoided if King Magnus (Snow's father) did not marry Ravenna (CT's character). He was stupid. You'll see what I mean!
Now I firmly believe everyone has their own taste and likes and dislikes in movies, but your review is totally about a different picture than what we all saw. You stupid abbreviations are way off - KS is Kristen Stewart, who played the title role, and did a very good job with what she had to work with. Who the heck is CT? Charlize Theron played the evil queen, so that doesn't make any sense. This was not a retelling of the "Snow White & The Seven Dwarfs" story, but a telling of the book "Snow White & The Huntsman". Chris Hemsworth was good as the Huntsman and did a decent job with what he had to work with. All the dwarfs were well cast with some great CGI. The story was well told, and the movie length was amazingly paced so I didn't realize that it was two and a half hours in length. (I just edited this at about 6 pm central time to correct my big mistake of saying it was Cameron Diaz and not Charlize Theron. I was wrong and not afraid to admit it!!!)

If you are going to review a movie, make sure you know who the actors are, and try to keep it fresh using their names and not initials and that way you will keep everything in perspective. From the first read of your mini-review, I don't think you paid close attention to the movie, much less had an open-mind to the telling of the story. Think about it the next time you see a movie.

I have my copy of "Snow White & The Huntsman" on Blu-ray right here in my hands and plan on watching it at least twice today.
Last edited by dvdjunkie on Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

dvdjunkie wrote:You stupid abbreviations are way off - KS is Kristen Stewart, who played the title role, and did a very good job with what she had to work with. Who the heck is CT? Cameron Diaz played the evil queen, so that doesn't make any sense.

If you are going to review a movie, make sure you know who the actors are, and try to keep it fresh using their names and not initials and that way you will keep everything in perspective. From the first read of your mini-review, I don't think you paid close attention to the movie, much less had an open-mind to the telling of the story. Think about it the next time you see a movie.
rotfl
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Woah, I am shocked!! Why are you talking to me like that? I have done nothing but respect you, and you pretty much call me stupid? Are you serious?

First of all, that post to my friend was on Facebook and it was very informal. He wanted to know what I thought and I told him. It was never supposed to be a formal review.

Second, I have not read the whole thread. I wasn't even looking for it. I just noticed it and since I saw the film last Friday, I thought I would post what I think. Therefore, I went on FB, copied and pasted what I wrote to my friend and posted it on here. I don't even know if you guys liked it or not.

Third of all, Charlize Theron (CT) played Queen Ravenna, NOT Cameron Diaz. So before you call me out on something, check your facts first.

You know what, I'm so appalled. How dare you? You weren't even there when I saw it! Yes, I paid close attention. Yes, i know it wasn't Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs. How dumb do you think I am? It was not a good retelling of the Brothers Grimm tale. I've seen better. Snow White: A Tale of Terror was better. Shoot, even Once Upon a Time did a better job!

I saw the same movie you did. And you know what? It was bad and it isn't winning any Academy Awards any time soon. The plot was all over the place, there was no romantic chemistry between the two leads, and the ending was just bad. It didn't feel like 127, but it did drag in certain places and I couldn't wait to get to the scenes featuring the Evil Queen. CT was the ONLY redeeming quality about the film. And yes, KS wasn't as bad as she usually is, but she still has the personality of a doorknob.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Don’t worry about dvdjunkie, tsom. We’ve all come to accept that he’s just deranged; he acts like this towards everyone over anything and everything. Don’t take it personally. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

It comes out over here in October, and I will be picking it up for sure!

What is cool is the fact that there are so many different sets and options you can get for the film, in all different formats. I haven't had that with a film that I have wanted to get for a long time.

Like it was in the old days, when a home release was more of an 'event' worth waiting for.

Man, I am a sucker for marketing! :lol:
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Don’t worry about dvdjunkie, tsom. We’ve all come to accept that he’s just deranged; he acts like this towards everyone over anything and everything. Don’t take it personally. :)
Thanks buddy! I know he has a history of acting like that, but never to me. I'm a lot of things, but stupid isn't one of them. Haha. :-)
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

dvdjunkie really seems to exemplify clueless, condescending hypocrites.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Dr Frankenollie wrote:dvdjunkie really seems to exemplify clueless, condescending hypocrites.
I re-read what he wrote to me, and he says "Snow White and the Huntsman" is based on a book. WTF? I know there's a book, but it's a novelization of the movie. He doesn't know what he's talking about! Therefore, before insulting someone else, he should've checked his facts.