What Was the Last TV Show You Watched? Volume 2

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

Doctor Who - Vampires of Venice and Amy's Choice. Both are very entertaining episodes with some great moments (the Doctor bursting out of Rory's cake, running away from the gunpowder explosion, all the moments with the Dream Lord); the only quibble I have for both is that I don't like the Doctor and Rory being referred to as "Amy Pond's Boys." :roll: Also, I wish the former episode had the villains turn out to be real vampires instead of aliens, because it can get repetitive - I'd like to see an episode without aliens as the villains for once.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Sherlock - An exciting and frequently hilarious adaptation of the Arthur Conan Doyle Holmes stories, set in the present day; perhaps it sounds a bit gimmicky and unappealing taken at 'face value', but it's witty entertainment that you need to pay attention to and think about to understand. The episodes I watched were "The Great Game" and "A Scandal in Belgravia", and besides the latter relying a bit too much on plot twists to captivate, both are excellent pieces of television with an expensive-looking, cinematic quality and memorable portrayals of the iconic Sherlock Holmes and Watson by a dry, stoical Benedict Cumberbatch and an affable Martin Freeman. Both of these likable actors will be appearing together in The Hobbit soon, and hopefully a third season of BBC's Sherlock.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

^yeah my Mom likes that show, so naturally I only catch an episode or two.

More Simpsons. Season 5, with 8 and 11 coming.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Doctor Who: Tomb of the Cybermen - The first Patrick Troughton story I've watched in full, I rather liked it, wobbly Ed Wood-esque sets and all. Troughton gives the impression of a rather old and wise man, yet is also a clownish, funny Doctor. Victoria was an annoying imbecilic damsel in distress in all scenes besides her conversation with the Doctor about family, which has more subtlety and is more touching than most of the NuWho emotional scenes, mainly because it's so downplayed and lacking in melodramatic corniness. Most surprisingly, the Cybermen are slightly cute.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Going through Keeping Up Appearences again. 3rd time in as many years, or maybe the 4th time.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

^ I love Hyacinth and Richard.

Having watched a little bit more of Patrick Troughton as the Doctor, I've noticed that he and Jamie seem to touch each other...a lot. Often they unnecessarily grab onto each other during times of peril or danger, yet they don't seem to stop holding each other.

Here's a funny YouTube edit of Doctor Who and Keeping Up Appearances:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pW4X7YXQBeY" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Black Mirror - The Twilight Zone of the 21st Century. Sublime.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sF_kZKVppw0" frameborder="0"></iframe>
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Game of thrones season 2.

Such a stirring epic of warfare and politics!
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Will & Grace Season 7 2004-2005
Probably the weakest season but it still had some laughs, especially from Karen.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Went back to season 1 of Game of Thrones in preparation for Season 3.
BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

The first episode of the 7the season of 'Dexter' Debra has found out about Dexters "dark passenger" Hope its' going to be a stronger season than nr.6, the beginning looks promising.

See my growing collection of Disney movie-banners at:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/78256383@N ... 651337290/
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Walking Dead, Seasons 1 and 2.

It's a shame the first season was so short. I suppose too many shows with 22 episode seasons have spoiled me though.

I've also watched a couple episodes of "I Dream of Jeannie Season 1" and "Bewitched Season 1."
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Pokeholic_Prince »

I just saw the first few episodes of "The Walking Dead" so far pretty good. Also watched the first episode of "Breaking Bad" now this one I'm pretty excited about, so far it's a really great first episode.
xWKDNiiNJAx

Post by xWKDNiiNJAx »

The Most recent TV series i watched was season 6 of Star Trek: Deep space Nine. While not being as in depth and overall enjoyable as TNG, I found Deep Space Nine to be much more thrilling due to the numerous action sequences generously sprinkled throughout the course of the season. I am also currently watching Star Wars The Clone Wars Season 5, as i am a mega Star Wars Nerd, I think that the storyline becomes increasingly dark and slightly sinister with every season, as it slowly moves towards Revenge of the Sith.
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Okay so I finally finished Season 1 of "The Walking Dead" and it's actually really good. Here are my thoughts: http://theconnoisseurreviews.tumblr.com ... 1-thoughts
I finally gave in an watched the fist season of “The Walking Dead.” And you know what? It’s actually a really good show. The writing is strong and tackles themes of humanity, togetherness, and of survival/death. The show is incredibly involving and makes us care for each individual character. Actors do a great job and their performances are convincing. Not once do they lose sight of the character. It is not only a well acted or written show, but also a really well made one with high production values not normally seen on TV. From the make up to the use of special effects, it is really well put together.

The first two episodes are alright, but generally slowly paced a bit confusing to be honest. However, from episode 3 and onwards the show has you hooked. The emotions are there and the sense of isolation. Every time a character wonders off, you only hope they come back alive. A lot of emotional stuff happens towards the end of the season and to say that I wasn’t tearing up a bit would be a horrible lie. The season finally is really good and really tackles a lot of the main themes of the show such as survival and accepting death. The best thing about it is that it gets us excited for what’s to come.

Overall, “The Walking Dead” is a really great show with compelling characters and strong writing. It challenges its viewers without talking down to them. It has a lot of emotional moments, but doesn’t just bask in the melodrama. There are well paced moments of action, but above all else a great sense of suspense and isolated ambiance. I give it a really strong 4/5, great writing and relateable characters with exciting action.

I am super excited for the next season. I would have given it a higher rating, but I didn’t really care for the first two episodes. However, I am now officially a fan. Lets go season 2!
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

If you ever have the chance, you should take a look at the comics. There's quite a few changes that the show has made, so it's sort of neat to compare everything. :)
Pokeholic_Prince
Gold Classic Collection

Chernabog, I'll have to give a look. My co-worker's been telling me that they're really good as well.

The most recent show I just finished is "King of the Nerds." Decent show and the challenges are fun. The contestants however, were super nerdy like annoying level nerdy, but they grow on you. I'm disappointed by the winner Celeste, who really did't deserve it. She basically slid by, while Genevieve not only pulled her weight, but her entire teams. Oh well.
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Re: What Was the Last TV Show You Watched? Volume 2

Smallville Seasons 1-4, Season 6.

As much as I enjoy Smallville, I've found that I much prefer it in small doses. The one thing I really discovered upon watching half the series back to back is that I HATE the Lana/Clark drama regarding keeping secrets. They overdid things way too much, and by season 6 I just started tuning them out. Still don't care for Lex Luthor. I've never overly cared for his character, even in other shows. That said, I also don't overly care about Superman in general, I was always more drawn towards Batman, (and Marvel) or Teen Titans for the DC mythos. I enjoy Superman the most in the Justice League show, if anything.

I find it a shame that Batman never did get his own show in a similar format to this, especially since that is what Smallville was originally supposed to be, from what I had read.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Chernabog_Rocks wrote:I find it a shame that Batman never did get his own show in a similar format to this, especially since that is what Smallville was originally supposed to be, from what I had read.
Agreed. I wouldn't desire it now - the Nolan series is still too fresh in memory and a Smallville-type series would have much of the same realism. Still, with Batman's greater rogues' gallery, the potential for a Godfather-style subplot with the Corleones, side characters like Alfred and the sheer personality that Gotham has (something which the location of Smallville never had, and Metropolis had less of), it could have been a great show.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

The Prisoner (the original of course, with Patrick McGoohan) and a load of Classic Who.