"Glee" Discussion

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Re: "Glee" Discussion

Post by Scarred4life »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Scarred4life wrote:I started watching the new season, but after about about five or six episodes I just had to stop. I honestly do not care at all about any of the new characters, the show is just so boring now. I agree, they should have ended it last season.
Yeah, I watch Glee more out of an "It's on..." mentality these days, when I don't forget about it completely. :P I feel like there's so little on TV I watch anymore.
Same here, ever since I got Netflix my need for TV has disappeared. ;)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Fox’s ‘Glee’ Gets Two-Season Renewal To Go Season 6
After lengthy negotiations, Fox’s musical dramedy Glee has been picked up for next season. And the season after that. The network has given a two-year renewal to the series for Seasons 5 and 6. The negotiations took longer because the network starts footing the bill after Season 4.

Given the complications of the talks, a two-year pickup is common practice so the network won’t have to do it again next year.

Glee debuted as the first and only successful musical comedy series on television, and more than four years later, it continues to defy genres, break new ground and have a significant impact on popular culture,” said Fox chairman Kevin Reilly. Added Dana Walden and Gary Newman, chairmen of 20th TV, which produces Glee with Ryan Murphy TV. “Ryan, Brad, Ian and Dante have created something that is far larger than a television show; it’s a global entertainment brand which continues to touch millions around the world.”

Glee was created by Ryan Murphy, Brad Falchuk and Ian Brennan, who executive produce the series with Dante Di Loreto. While off the ratings highs from its early run, Glee still performs respectably, especially when DVR viewing is factored in. The dramedy is averaging a 3.6/10 among Adults 18-49 and 8.7 million Total Viewers this season. Last month, Glee marked its 500th performance. The show has spawned more than 53 million tracks digitally downloaded and more than 13 million albums sold worldwide.
Source: http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/foxs-gl ... -season-6/

From what I've read about the behind-the-scenes issues, apparently the executives wanted the show to follow the old characters to New York this season, but Ryan Murphy instead kept the show halfway in Ohio. The next two instead are supposed to dump all the new characters and focus entirely on the old characters in NYC (Blaine will definitely be going to NY, probably Artie, too; I think Sue and Schuester might also be given a storyline where they're there, too.). Frankly, I'm glad. I mean, the show has gone downhill, but Rachel and the old characters are the ones I still like, and I didn't care for any of the new characters (besides maybe Ryder and Unique).

I also like that tiny bit of shade towards Smash in the article--“Glee debuted as the first and only successful musical comedy series on television" :lol:

Thoughts?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I'm kind of surprised they ordered two seasons, but I guess ratings are decent enough and so are merchandise sales. But I was really expecting a fifth season to be the kibosh. Which I was excited about because it meant I could stop buying seasons sets soon...
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

Glee is something I will watch because I don't take it seriously anymore. Call it a guilty pleasure. I love Divnity's quote, "Dump all the old characters" Anyways, I'm excited to see what they do next with the old characters. Not expecting anything, I just want to see what they do next.

I remember someone here saying they will all end up in NY by the end of the season. Then someone else replied that should happen because this show was never about reality anyways. I'm so glad both are happening! :lol:
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

They don't really have the material to sustain 44 more episodes on content, but at least they'll be dropping more of the high school stuff.
Scarred4life
Anniversary Edition

Post by Scarred4life »

Thank god. Get rid of all the new characters and focus on the old (or introduce good new characters) and I might just start watching again.
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Post by Disney Guru »

I've kind of liked the switch back from New York/McKinley. Also I think some of the new kids have been very talented, glad to see it's been renewed for 2 more seasons. Can't wait to see what they do with it.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Widdi
Anniversary Edition

Post by Widdi »

Cory Monteith (Finn) has died.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/hunterschwarz/r ... m=buzzfeed

Tragic Loss.

I feel so sorry for Lea Michele. She must grieve for her co-worker of nearly 5 years, and more importantly her life-partner for nearly 2 at the same time the character she portrays on television will also have to grieve for the death of the fictional Finn. True the whole cast and crew will be grieving, but that poor girl... I don't know how she will do it.

R.I.P. Cory.
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

RIP :(
Disney's Divinity

Widdi wrote: I feel so sorry for Lea Michele. She must grieve for her co-worker of nearly 5 years, and more importantly her life-partner for nearly 2 at the same time the character she portrays on television will also have to grieve for the death of the fictional Finn. True the whole cast and crew will be grieving, but that poor girl... I don't know how she will do it.
I thought the same thing, since I had heard they were dating.

I know a lot of fans were afraid that this past season finale of Glee would be the series finale, and wondered how could they possibly end the show without Finn/Cory Monteith there... :( I can imagine how hard it'll be for the cast and crew of the show to make the new season without him, because they will have to write his death into the story.

Rest in peace. :(
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

We're going to have some somber episodes ahead of us. :( I feel absolutely horrible for Lea for the real-life tragedy she's facing and the way she'll likely have to re-enact it with her character. I do wonder exactly how the writers of the show will handle the situation and hope we'll be given a suitable tribute to him. Not just as a character, but the actor and person that was tragically lost.

I didn't know anything about his personal life so it was especially shocking to receive the news last night; I initially thought someone was posting a prank on my FB feed. Sigh, so young . . . my heart goes out to his friends and family. :(
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

I'll just repeat what I wrote on Facebook last night:

Cory Monteith played such a lovable goof on "Glee." He was the type of character that could make even the most hard-edged audience member smile. Monteith had a gift in his acting, he could go from clueless to sage, from angry to worried, from cartoon to real, and do it with a believability that would eventually be lost on most of the other actors. In a show that gradually became an unintentional parody of itself, I could always count on Monteith to show up and give us some semblance of normalcy, even if it were hidden under that usual "dumb Finn" shell. In that way, he was real. Finn may have been dumb, but he was also a down-to-earth everyman with which the audience could relate and identify. Finn Hudson didn't need fame and glory, he didn't need a flashy good life. He grew up, he grew out of the shallow stereotype of the first season and into a character worth watching as the show itself began to lose my interest.

Of all the characters, Finn always had the most potential in terms of story direction. And his whole uncertainty with his future reminded me a bit of my own uncertainties at times. Truthfully, I could find myself identifying more with Finn than with any other character, not just because of his lovability as a character, but because I could see bits of myself in him, especially when his character had the epiphany in Season Four in which he wanted to become a real teacher (and not some graduate playing dress-up). While watching that episode, I privately beamed and was very proud of him. As a teacher myself, such moments come once in a lifetime, and are few-and-far-between on television. It was nice to see it given some justice, especially through a character like Finn.

Monteith played a huge part in that. From the young cast, I was already most familiar with his work, as he had done small roles on "Kyle XY" and "Flash Gordon." The characters weren't always memorable, but the performance was. Of all the "Glee" stars, I always hoped he'd have a successful and steady career after the show. Like Finn, he grew a lot on "Glee." Compare first-season Finn and Cory to this past season, and it's a world of difference. He showed a lot of promise, especially after reading about his troubled youth and addiction problems. It looks like we'll never get to see what else he had to offer on our screens. Come September, I'll have one less show to watch. "Glee" just won't be the same without Cory Monteith or Finn Hudson; I don't think I could bring myself to watch the show knowing that neither of them are part of it anymore. Rest in peace.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Cory's death has been attributed to overdose of heroin and alcohol mixed together. Sad, but that's what happens when you depend on crutches to get a long in life.

Age 31, and still playing a high schooler? This is why I don't watch "Glee". There are tons of talented actors out there who are truly of high school age and would be an asset to this show.

Jane Lych has truly wasted her career with this show and I am glad to hear that she is leaving after this season.

Again it is sad for tragedy to mar the life of someone we all liked. But this is the path he chose.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

It's good to know you're still here to sneer your nose even in the face of tragedy, dvdjunkie. Real nice.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I need to remind everyone that when we disagree with someone, we don't resort to insults and we certainly don't bring up one's age/gender/race etc to do so. You can criticize what someone is saying but it's never OK to try to insult them on a personal level.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Sotiris wrote:I need to remind everyone that when we disagree with someone, we don't resort to insults and we certainly don't bring up one's age/gender/race etc to do so. You can criticize what someone is saying but it's never OK to try to insult them on a personal level.
I'm pretty sure a number of members have done this in the past and have not have their posts removed or warnings posted. The level of consistency for moderation on this forum is spotty at best.

dvdjunkie in particular, has continued to act in a childish manner by spamming threads like this in an effort to get a rise (see Lone Ranger thread's "I TOLD YOU SOO!!!") or acting condescending towards other members by suggesting their age makes them incapable of "understanding" a given situation. That he gets a pass while others don't is beyond me.

What this site really needs is an "ignore" feature.
Disney's Divinity

UmbrellaFish wrote:It's good to know you're still here to sneer your nose even in the face of tragedy, dvdjunkie. Real nice.
Yes, always a class act, that one.
Flanger-Hanger wrote:dvdjunkie in particular, has continued to act in a childish manner by spamming threads like this in an effort to get a rise (see Lone Ranger thread's "I TOLD YOU SOO!!!") or acting condescending towards other members by suggesting their age makes them incapable of "understanding" a given situation. That he gets a pass while others don't is beyond me.
I don't know why trolling is allowed either, but oh well. Too bad I missed a nice comment--who said what? :P Methinks it was related to a certain member pissing on someone's grave?

I'm guessing the season 5 premiere will have the other characters learning about Finn's death and dealing with it. It's hard to know where they'll go with the Rachel character, since I'm guessing the Finn-Rachel couple was going to be there till the end. I'm guessing they'll go with Rachel becoming independent/a star without a love interest angle now (which I like better, tbh).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Flanger-Hanger wrote:I'm pretty sure a number of members have done this in the past and have not have their posts removed or warnings posted. The level of consistency for moderation on this forum is spotty at best.
Ever since the forum was upgraded and more mods were appointed, the moderation has been consistent and thorough.
Flanger-Hanger wrote:dvdjunkie in particular, has continued to act in a childish manner by spamming threads like this in an effort to get a rise (see Lone Ranger thread's "I TOLD YOU SOO!!!") or acting condescending towards other members by suggesting their age makes them incapable of "understanding" a given situation. That he gets a pass while others don't is beyond me.
No one gets a pass or special treatment here. We are all well aware of dvdjunkie's attitude sometimes and when he crosses the line he will be reprimanded. While his post above can be construed as inconsiderate and insensitive, it didn't break any rules unlike yours. When you feel a certain post violates forum policy, you can report it and the moderating team will take care of it.
Flanger-Hanger wrote:What this site really needs is an "ignore" feature.
I agree that would be a useful function. You can make a thread about it if you wish in the Feedback section. Ideas and suggestions are always welcome.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

And, for me, Glee ended tonight.
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

UmbrellaFish wrote:And, for me, Glee ended tonight.
I'll most likely watch it in Hulu this weekend, although I'm not sure I'm ready to. I read spoilers to kinda prepare myself for all the inevitable crying.

When Kurt was packing up to head to Lima…

He also briefly addressed the fact that we wouldn’t learn how Finn died. Because, as he said, “Who cares? One moment in his whole life. I care more about how he lived.”

. . .

To be honest I wasn't paying much attention to the show anymore, but we'd still catch up on it every so often (I enjoy the music more than the storylines). I'm not sure if I'll be interested in seeing any further episodes after this myself.