DVDizzy Movie & Media Awards 2009 - CEREMONY

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

blackcauldron85 wrote:I'm disappointed. No offense to Aaron or Amy or anyone who voted for her, but really? How many people here saw her on tour...versus Miley or Jonas Brothers? I personally wanted Hanson to win, but Aaron and I are probably the only ones who nominated them...I'm just confused. Did not many people vote in this category? I don't mean to be whiny or a sore loser, or anything like that- I'm genuinely confused and wondering how many people actually saw Amy on tour. Nothing against her again, honestly, but I thought that we'd have more JB or Miley fans here...or even Kelly Clarkson...I'm so confused!
Have I told you lately that I love you? :wink:

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I think the JoBro/Miley votes get split, preventing any of them from winning. For some reason the two Amy Grant tours did not split votes. I'm not sure how many people voting actually attended the Lead Me On tour but I doubt that many people voting actually attended any of these tours and probably just voted for the artist they like the most. I would venture to say that there are more Amy Grant fans on this site than there are Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus fans (and certainly more than there are Hanson or Jason Mraz fans). I get emails from people here all the time about Amy's music, whereas there seems to be a fair amount of animosity toward the Jonas Brothers and even more so toward Hannah Montana around here.

The only surprise to me is that the Reba/Kelly tour didn't fare better in the votes than it did. I think there are a few explanations, though. First, there aren't a lot of country music fans here. Also, this is the second leg of the Reba/Kelly tour and as a result, it didn't get a lot of coverage in the media (it also didn't sell very well in its second leg -- the shows were far from sold out). On the other hand, Amy's Lead Me On tour was a big success and was covered a lot in the media (due to it being a major reunion tour).

For the record, I am a fan of all of the acts nominated for Best Tour this year (except Miley Cyrus, who I really cannot stand). As I said above, I personally attended five of these tours and have seen the recording of another. I would have been happy with several of them winning. But I don't really find it the least bit surprising that the Lead Me On 20th Anniversary Tour won.

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Please welcome two of UD's finest to present our next award: <b>PeterPanfan</b> and <b>ajmrowland</b>!

<center>Best Animated Feature Film</center>

<b>Peterpanfan</b>: The "Best Animated Feature" category is near and dear to Ultimate Disney's members, as a Disney movie is almost always the winner. We'll see if that is the case this year, as well.

<b>ajmrowland</b>: Animation has always been somewhat shunned by the major awards associations for the reason that people associate it with kids' movies, despite proving how powerful and complex it can be. And so here, on UD, I am proud to announce the Best Animated Feature Award. The nominees are:

Bolt

<b>PeterPanfan</b>: With John Travolta and Miley Cyrus lending their voices to play a famous dog actor and its co-star, <i>Bolt</i> is about a pup who stars in his own television series with a cute (er...) preteen, only to believe everything in the fictional tv series is actually happening in real life.

<b>ajmrowland</b>: One thing easily as touching as a story about a boy and his dog is one about a girl and her dog. Not to mention the fact that the dog thinks he's a superhero and is in for a reality check. This entertaining film is heartwarming to its core, and deserves a good home in people's hearts, or at least their DVD collection

Horton Hears a Who!

<b>PeterPanfan</b>: <i>Horton Hears a Who!</i> follows Jim Carrey and Steve Carrel portraying the wacky characters, an elephant and a mayor of a large town, based on the famous Dr. Seuss children's book.

Kung Fu Panda

<b>PeterPanfan</b>: <i>Kung Fu Panda</i> follows a karate-chopping panda bear, voiced by Jack Black, who is chosen to lead a special and incredible life in the martial arts lifestyle.

<b>ajmrowland</b>: Perhaps Dreamworks Animation's finest, the story of a fat geek who finds that he can become a great Kung Fu warrior was always bound for some giggles. Not to mention the awes that come from the action sequences.

WALL-E

<b>PeterPanfan</b>: <i>WALL-E</i> is about a robot, WALL-E, and his fellow robot girlfriend, EVE, trying to get back to Earth from the unkindly citizens of outer space.

<b>ajmrowland</b>: Even though it takes place 800 years from now, when mankind has left Earth to the garbage-disposal, this film is primarily about a lonely robot who longs for love and finally meets his equal in the form of a probe-bot named EVE. His love for her is tested when he chases her halfway across the galaxy to a very consumerised human society on a space-cruiser. Yet, despite all that, this fillm is first, and foremost, a love story filled with strong morals, some good laughs, and the Pixar Dash of Heart. Not seeing this film would not be a very wise choice.

One more time, the nominees are:

Bolt
Horton Hears a Who!
Kung Fu Panda
WALL-E

<b>PeterPanfan</b>: All four films are great CG movies, but only one can win, and the winner is...

<center>WALL-E
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations to <i>WALL-E</i>!

Stay tuned for more, when we close out the Radio section of the awards!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

<center>Best National Radio Program</center>

And now for our biggest Radio award of the year. The nominees for <b>Best National Radio Program</b> are:

The Rush Limbaugh Show
Wake Up with Whoopi
Dr. Laura
Sean Hannity Show

...And the winner is...

<center>"Wake Up with Whoopi"
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations to Whoopi! This is her second award of the night and this makes two consecutive years that "Wake Up with Whoopi" has won in this category!

Up next: The award for Best Book!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

<center>Best Book</center>

The nominees are:

<i>The Complete Star Wars Encyclopedia</i> by Stephen J. Sansweet, Pablo Hidalgo, Bob Vitas, and Daniel Wallace

<i>The Host</i> by Stephenie Meyer

<i>Star Wars: The Clone Wars Visual Guide</i> by Jason Fry

<i>Walt Disney Animation Studios - The Archive Series: Story</i>

And the winner is...

<center>Walt Disney Animation Studios - The Archive Series: Story
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations again to <i>Story</i>!

Up next: Best Song of the Year! (Just ten awards remain!)

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

One more time, please welcome <b>Jack Skellington</b>!

<center>Best Song</center>

Jack Skellington: 2008 is a year to remember for us music fanatics. We listened to controversial songs about bi-curiosity to songs that pave the way back to a musician's former glory, and of all the songs that have invaded our top 25 playlist on our ipods, here are the nominees for Best Song :

Britney Spears - "Circus"
Jason Mraz - "I'm Yours"
Jonas Brothers - "Burnin' Up"

...And the winner is...

<center>"I'm Yours"
by Jason Mraz
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zut0TznmSu0&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zut0TznmSu0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations to Jason Mraz!

Up next: Best Artist!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Here again is <b>PeterPanfan</b>!!!

<center>Best Artist</center>

PeterPanfan: The three contestants in this category have proven to be an audiance favorite. First comes Britney Spears, who reappeared last year after having a personal traumatic few years. Many agree that this year's "Circus" album beat last year's "Blackout" by a milestone. Britney has proven to be a consistent artist, having almost every single be a well-known hit and memorized by her many fans.

Next is Jason Mraz, who reappears every once in a while. Even though he only has a few hit singles, each one has been fantastic, which shows he takes a lot of time with his music. His latest CD, "We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things" has proven to be a success.

Rounding out the list are teen idols, "Jonas Brothers" which consists of real life brothers Kevin, Joe, and Nick Jonas. They first got attention when their music videos appeared on MTV's TRL, and were really noticed when they were seen on Disney Channel.

Once more, the nominees are:

Britney Spears
Jason Mraz
Jonas Brothers

...And the winner is...

<center>Britney Spears
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations again to Britney Spears!

<b>Next</b>: jrboy brings us the final Music award of the evening: Best Album!!!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

One more time, here's <b>jrboy</b>!!!

<center>Best Album</center>

jrboy: Music has always been part of our world, and 2008 was no different. In 2008 we saw the second coming of Britney Spears, but unlike 2007, she didn't crash n' burn. <i>Circus</i> debuted at #1 become the singer's fifth number one album. Jason's Mraz's <i>We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.</i>' first single, "I'm Yours", became the singer's first top ten hit, and shot this once-unknown into stardom. The Jonas Brothers' third studio album, <i>A Little Bit Longer</i> shot to the top of the charts and has since sold over 2.1 million copies

....and the nominees are:

Britney Spears - <i>Circus</i>
Jason Mraz - <i>We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.</i>
Jonas Brothers - <i>A Little Bit Longer</i>

...And the winner is...

<center>Circus
by Britney Spears
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations again to Britney Spears, who keeps racking these awards up.

That's it for music, everybody!

Next, we'll unveil the three most coveted TV awards with the help of PeterPanfan!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

<center>Best Actress in a TV Series</center>

The nominees are:

Jenna Fischer (The Office)
Laura Linney (John Adams)
Marcia Cross (Desperate Housewives)
Sarah Chalke (Scrubs)
Sarah Silverman (The Sarah Silverman Program)
Tina Fey (30 Rock)

...And the award goes to...

<center>Marcia Cross
for "Desperate Housewives"

Image </center>
<hr>

Congratulations once again to Marcia Cross!

Up next: Best Actor in a TV Series

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

<center>Best Actor in a TV Series</center>

The nominees are:

Alec Baldwin (30 Rock)
Eric Wareheim (Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!)
Paul Giamatti (John Adams)
Steve Carell (The Office)
Tim Heidecker (Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!)
Zach Braff (Scrubs)

...And the winner is...

<center>Steve Carell
for "The Office"
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations to Steve Carell and "The Office"!

Next, we close out the TV awards with PeterPanfan and the award for BEST TV SERIES!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Please make him welcome again: <b>PeterPanfan</b>!

<center>Best TV Series</center>

PeterPanfan: Eleven shows ended up being nominated for this year's "Best TV Series" award, and all eleven are critically acclaimed. First up is "30 Rock." Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin lead this comedic TV series about what happens behind the scenes of a sketch television show.

Next is "The Colbert Report," Comedy Central's satirical show. Spin-off from "The Daily Show", "The Colbert Report" hilariously critiques current events, sports, and the media.

"Desperate Housewives", the third in the list of nominees, focuses on the lives of the women of Wisteria Lane, as seen through the eyes of their deceased friend and neighbor, Mary Alice Young.

Next is "Family Guy", the animated show that parodies a typical, albeit dysfunctional, family household, consisting of the crude father, Peter, the obsessed mother, Lois, the overweight son, Chris, the unloveable daughter, Meg, the destructive baby, Stewie, and the drunk talking dog, Brian.

"How I Met Your Mother" comes next, serving as the only live-action sitcom on this particular list. The plot is centered around the future Ted Moseby, voiced by Bob Saget, explaining to his two children the adventures of meeting their mother. All episodes consist of Ted with his best friends: Barney, the womanizer, Marshall, the typical best friend, Robin, the former Canadian teen idol, and Lily, the "girl next door" wife to Marshall.

"Late Night With Conan O'Brien" follows, being the only late night talk show to appear on the list. Conan O'Brien, the hilarious talk show host, serves up a humourous and informative talk show.

Steve Carell leads the extremely funny and parodical show, "The Office", which is the following show on this list. Depicting the everyday lives of office employees in Scranton, Pennsylvania, it provides an interesting, although mostly true, take on what happens when the boss isn't around.

The fantastical irony of "Pushing Daisies" is that it is a light-hearted dark comedy. Ned, a piemaker, can bring the dead back to life for sixty seconds, and if the dead is brought back for any longer, another person dies.

Next is the weekly ninety minute late night show, "Saturday Night Live." Many people believe it to have been in its prime in its early years, and then picking back up when Tina Fey became head writer, only to fall into another ditch after she left. During election season, SNL also took over Thursday Nights, with the now popular Tina Fey as Sarah Palin and Amy Poehler as Hillary Clinton sketches.

This next show, the comedy-drama that is "Scrubs", follows the lives of several employees of Sacred Heart, a teaching hopsital. Led by the funny and believable Zach Braff, this show is currently in its 8th season.

Rounding out the nominees is "Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!", the Adult Swim-produced comedic television series. The show consists of sketches, songs, and mock commercials, all hilarious.

30 Rock
The Colbert Report
Desperate Housewives
Family Guy
How I Met Your Mother
Late Night with Conan O'Brien
The Office
Pushing Daisies
Saturday Night Live
Scrubs
Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job!

Well, with eleven amazing shows to choose from, all the nominees have been close, I'm sure. But there is only one winner, and that winner is...

<center>"Desperate Housewives"
Image </center>
<hr>

Congratulations to the Best TV Series of 2008, "Desperate Housewives"!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

When we return, we'll give out the final four awards of the year -- Best Director, Best Actor, Best Actress, and <b>Best Picture</b>!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

We are down to our final four awards of the year, ladies and gentlemen, all of them in the area of Film. We begin with the award for Best Director.

<center>Best Director</center>

The nominees are:

Andrew Stanton (WALL-E)
Christopher Nolan (The Dark Knight)
Danny Boyle (Slumdog Millionaire)
David Fincher (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
John Patrick Shanley (Doubt)

...And the winner is...

<center>Christopher Nolan
for <i>The Dark Knight</i>
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations to Christopher Nolan and <i>The Dark Knight</i>!

Up next: PeterPanfan brings us the award for Best Actress!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Please put your hands together one last time for the man bringing us all three of our remaining awards this year: <b>PeterPanfan</b>!!!

<center>Best Actress</center>

PeterPanfan: In the Oscars and the Golden Globes, the Best Actress award is usually one of the most talked about awards, along with Best Actor and Best Film. On Ultimate Disney, many members enjoy critiquing the performances given by the famous actors and actresses.

Angelina Jolie plays a single mother who returns home after work to discover her son is missing. The film follows her adventure as she races to find her son, and the horrid facts she discovers whilst doing so.

Cate Blanchett, nominated for her outstanding role in "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" alongside Brad Pitt, plays Daisy, a woman coping with her love of a man who ages backwards.

Kate Winslet, the real winner on Oscar night, teams up again with Leonardo DiCaprio in "Revolutionary Road," playing April Wheeler, a suburban housewife to Leo's character, trying to raise a son and daughter.

Meryl Streep has been nominated twice in this category, for her portrayls of two extremely different characters. The first, an uptight Catholic nun who is dealing with a horrific rumor that has been spread about the priest, and the second being the wild, fun loving mother of "Mamma Mia!" fame.

Angelina Jolie (Changeling)
Cate Blanchett (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
Kate Winslet (Revolutionary Road)
Meryl Streep (Doubt)
Meryl Streep (Mamma Mia!)

All of the leading ladies gave a standout performance, but only one can win, and the winner is...

<center>Meryl Streep
for <i>Doubt</i>
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations to Meryl Streep! Fun fact: Meryl's <i>Doubt</i> co-star, Amy Adams, won in this category last year! (And in the Best Supporting Actress category this year!)

Up next: Best Actor!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

And now our next-to-last

<center>Best Actor</center>

<b>PeterPanfan</b>: Like "Best Actress", the "Best Actor" award is truly coveted amongst the winners. While the winners here won't actually know they've won, I'm sure they would be excited all the same, because the UD members are important and highly thought of voters, after all. *waits for laughs*

Anyway, the first nominee is Brad Pitt, for his role as the man who ages backwards in the film based off of F. Scott Fitzgerald's bestselling novel, "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button."

Next is Harrison Ford for returning as his famous Indiana Jones character, in the latest addition to the already well-known series, "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull."

Leonardo Dicaprio comes next, playing a suburban husband raising two children alongside fellow nominee, Kate Winslet.

The last nominee, Sean Penn, plays real life man, Harvey Milk, who was the first openly gay politician and also a famous gay rights activist.

Brad Pitt (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button)
Harrison Ford (Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull)
Leonardo DiCaprio (Revolutionary Road)
Sean Penn (Milk)

All actors where phenomenal in their roles, but only one can win, and the winner is...

<center>Brad Pitt
for <i>The Curious Case of Benjamin Button</i>
</center>
<hr>

Congratulations to Brad Pitt and <i>Benjamin Button</i>!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

...And now... the moment you have all been waiting (a very long time) for...

Please welcome back to the stage, to present our final award of the year, <b>PeterPanfan</b> ...

<hr>
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Ladies and gentlemen... <b>PeterPanfan</b>!

<center>Best Film</center>

PeterPanfan: Well, the most acclaimed and prestigious award has finally arrived. As usual, all nominees are considered to be "dramatic" to an extent, though the films vary whether it be through subject matter, the actors portraying the characters, or the way the film has been viewed among the millions that have seen the five "Best Film" nominees.

First is "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button," which seemed to be the hype of the winter season. Brad Pitt and Cate Blanchett star as two people who face the obstacles of love, no matter how big or small (or young or old) they seem to be.

Next is, "The Dark Knight," which had been highly anticipated since the end of its predecessor, "Batman Begins." The film especially gained notice when Heath Ledger, the actor portraying The Joker, the film's villain, unexpectedly died.

"Doubt", which was based on an acclaimed stage play, was led by Meryl Streep, Phillip Seymour Hoffman, and Amy Adams, who are very well-known in today's society. Dealing with a touchy subject: A Catholic Priest sexually abusing one of his black students.

Even more dramatic than "Doubt" was "Slumdog Millionaire," the depressing tale of two Indians in love, who will survive anything to be together.

Finally comes "WALL-E," which had been the talk of the summer. A "kid's movie" that turned out to be one of a very select number of films to send out such an inspiring and true message to America today.

The films nominated are:

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
The Dark Knight
Doubt
Slumdog Millionaire
WALL-E

All of these films deserve the status of "Best Picture", yet only one can receive it today, and that film is...

<center>WALL-E

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZisWjdjs-gM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZisWjdjs-gM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> </center>

<hr>

Congratulations to <i>WALL-E</i>, the winner of 9 UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Movie Awards and the Best Film of 2008!

-Aaron
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Well that brings us to the end of yet another UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Movie & Media Awards. A hundred categories is quite a feat, so thanks to all of you for nomination, voting, and joining in on the fun.

Thanks to PeterPanfan for presenting our big award this year along with so many others and also to everyone else who volunteered as award presenters!

Congratulations to all of the nominees and the winners. This has been fun for me and I hope it has been fun for all of you. See you back here in the MM&TV Theatre next year!

-Aaron
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

As always, this was a lot of fun to watch unfold! Thanks for committing what must be an insane amount of time and effort to bringing some much needed entertainment to this forum, Aaron and those who contributed speeches.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Slumdog not winning? That's really special!