What Are You Listening To? Part IV - TURN THAT CRAP DOWN!

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Sugarcubes - "Regina"

Fuck am I in a bad mood today, this song is doing a lot to make me feel better. (It always does.)

Also, I've got a ton of other 80's songs playing on my mp3 (they've been a blur but INXS is going now, Debbie Gibson just finished).
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
JohnnyWeir
Gold Classic Collection

Post by JohnnyWeir »

Goliath wrote:
JohnnyWeir wrote:I looked this song up last night and have been listening to it ever since-it is so beautiful! I like it a lot more than Bon Ivers original version.
Have I lead you to her or had you already heard of her before?
You led me to it! I figured since you share my love for Bob Dylan that it must be worth checking out if you like it that much! :)

Been listening to:
Darlene Love-All alone on Christmas
Celine Dion-O Holy Night
Michael Jackson-Human Nature
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

JohnnyWeir wrote:You led me to it! I figured since you share my love for Bob Dylan that it must be worth checking out if you like it that much! :)
Wow! Well, I'm glad you got to know this song through me. I listen to it several times a day.

How much of Dylan's work do you know/like anyway? Myself, I have all his studio albums from the 1960's and 1970's and from his "renaissance" starting in 1997 up until now; and I know some of his best songs from the period in between ('Jokerman', 'Tight Connection To My Heart', 'Blind Willie McTell' etc.); and I've rewatched his 1994 MTV Unplugged concert and performance at Woodstock '94 more times than I can remember. I also have Pennebaker's and Scorsese's documentaries and Haynes' biopic on dvd. Now, I want to start collecting the Bootleg Series cd's.

More of Bob:

Last: When The Ship Comes In (The Times They Are A-Changin', 1964)
Now: Went To See The Gypsy (New Morning, 1970)
Next: I Don't Believe You (She Acts Like We Never Met) (Another Side of Bob Dylan, 1964)
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don't post in these threads often, but this is a special song...

Bernadette Peters' heartbreaking "Losing My Mind" from Follies.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Jonny McGovern - "Sexy Nerd"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Last: Bob Dylan- Lay, Lady, Lay (Nashville Skyline, 1969)
Now: Sammy Davis, Jr.- Something's Gotta Give
Next: The Mama's and the Papa's- California Dreamin'
L&P on the Scales

Post by L&P on the Scales »

Not listening to anything now, but I was listening to the entirety of Abba's Gold album a couple of hours ago.

Currently fancy a bit of Holst right now, might go look for a Planets playlist on Youtube.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Bob Dylan- Shelter From The Storm

"Try imagining a place where it's always safe and warm
Come in, she said, I'll give you shelter from the storm"

The ultimate comforting song. :)
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Lamb - "Trans Fatty Acid"

Classic trip hop.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Last: Mando Diao- Dance With Somebody
Now: Handsome Poets- Dance (The War Is Over)
Next: Black Eyed Peas- Let's Get It Started
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Before: Bob Dylan- "Hurricane"
Now: Bob Dylan- "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"
Next: Jimi Hendrix- "Like a Rolling Stone"

Guess I'm just in one of those moods.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Avaitor wrote:Before: Bob Dylan- "Hurricane"
Now: Bob Dylan- "The Ballad of Frankie Lee and Judas Priest"
Next: Jimi Hendrix- "Like a Rolling Stone"
:clap:

Bob Dylan- Just Like A Woman (Blonde on Blonde, 1966)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Yeah, I had a feeling you'd like that set.

Before: Death- "Zero Tolerance"
Now: Death- "Crystal Mountain"
Next: Death- "Misanthrope"

Now I'm in one of those moods.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

I cannot get enough of Simon & Garfunkel...

Before: "The Sound of Silence"
Now: "Cecilia"
Next: "Bye Bye Love"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I'm going to be completely honest...

TV shows on YouTube are playing. I've been writing these HUGE articles all day (and I'm telling you I'm not sure I'm ever going to get that Review a DVD thread off the ground) and for some reason, Animaniacs keeps my brain sharp.

"Do you eat beans with George Wendt? Would you like to see George Wendt eating beans in a movie? Do you eat beans at George Wendt movies? Would you like to see George Wendt in a bean-eating movie? How many beans do you eat at George Wendt bean-eating movies?"
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Last: Racoon- No Mercy
Now: Gotye- Somebody That I Used To Know
Next: Barthezz- On The Move
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Checking out Goldfrapp's newest: The Singles. And it's impossible not to see what is missing. "Pilots," "Twist," "Alive," "Caravan Girl," "Fly Me Away," and "Human." Some of these are sacrificed for a pair of new tracks- "Yellow Halo" and "Melancholy Sky." And if I was cold to Seventh Tree upon first listen, these songs might as well just bury themselves. Neither are any good, in my opinion. (Though I'll admit, these are first-listens and they can be rough.)

As a real "bang for your buck" person when it comes to music, this is a HUGE disappointment. By the time the actual singles are over, the disc has totaled 45 minutes. What a way to sum up one of the most revolutionary careers of the last 15 years in pop music!! I guess it's good that the disc collects mostly non-album mixes but I sincerely don't even remember the mix of "Utopia" which makes the cut here being the mix laid over either version of the music video. Which means, several of the early picks were chosen because they helped compliment "Ooh La La" and "Number 1" - apparently their biggest hits ever (that's news to me, since "Strict Machine," "Fly Me Away," and "Alive" got the most play on advertisements, etc). If it's any consolation, "Lovely Head" - probably their best single, or tied with "Utopia" - is at least kept pure. But with 25 minutes left on the disc, it's just sad the video / single mix of "Pilots" didn't make it. Great job of giving us on one disc what is a pain to seek out elsewhere. Did they just expect most fans already had the single CD? The Singles totals 54:41. 3 more songs would barely stretch it out to that undesirable 70-minute mark.

Madonna's Celebration had only 2 discs and a MUCH bigger career to capture and did a better job than this compilation. Just... disappointing.

- - - - -

Oh, and speaking of Madonna... what a perfect opportunity for me to dig into her latest 'hit':

How sad that the Nicki Minaj and M.I.A. section is the only great thing about it, especially the breakdown from 2:14-2:40 (WOW!). The guitar is peppy, which doesn't get me very excited, but the whole cheerleader theme here is lousy. The beat is good but the snazz and jazz up attempts with all these other sounds I'm hearing weighs this down. Like bad cooking, which is exactly what it is. Whereas that breakdown is a fantastic punch. And exactly the territory Madonna should be trying to go for. So, at least we know some of the ingredients are right. Give her points for not sounding like she's trying to match Britney, Jennifer Lopez, or Lady Gaga's latest material. But it does sound like she's trying to plug into something she's already done. For GOD'S sake, she knows every powerful person in the industry and commands the unflinching respect of every single artist / performer who might be seen as competition. This is the best she can do for a first single? Try again, Madge.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/pZ3cTwI9bIw" frameborder="0"></iframe>

God, Zooey Deschanel is so fucking hot. I love how she's able to go from pulling off serious ballet moves to dancing like a Charlie Brown character. She & Him is a little too poppy for my taste, but I could stare at Zooey all day.
Goliath
Diamond Edition

Post by Goliath »

Last: Bob Dylan- High Water (For Charley Patton) ("Love and Theft", 2001)
Now: Bob Dylan- Blind Willie McTell (outtake of Infidels, 1983)
Next: Bob Dylan- Black Diamond Bay (Desire, 1976)
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Avaitor wrote:She & Him is a little too poppy for my taste
I had a similar reaction to DL's "Skyscraper."