Actors Discussion Series - Kate Winslet

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Actors Discussion Series - Kate Winslet

Post by PeterPanfan »

ACTORS DISCUSSION SERIES #2: KATE WINSELT

Kate Elizabeth Winslet (born 5 October 1975) is an English actress and occasional singer. She is noted for having played diverse characters over her career, but probably best-known for her critically acclaimed performances as Marianne Dashwood in Sense and Sensibility, Rose DeWitt Bukater in Titanic, Clementine Kruczynski in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Sarah Pierce in Little Children, April Wheeler in Revolutionary Road, and Hanna Schmitz in The Reader.

Winslet has been nominated for six Academy Awards and won the Academy Award for Best Actress for her role in The Reader. She has won awards from the Golden Globes, Screen Actors Guild, British Academy of Film and Television Arts, and the Hollywood Foreign Press Association, as well as being nominated for an Emmy. At the age of 22, she became the youngest actress to receive two Oscar nominations; at age 33, she is now the youngest actor of either sex to receive six nominations. David Edelstein of New York Magazine hails her as "the best English-speaking film actress of her generation."
Filmography:

Dark Season (TV Series) - Reet - 1991
Heavenly Creatures - Juliet Hulme - 1994
A Kid in King Arthur's Court - Princess Sarah - 1995
Sense and Sensability - Marianne Dashwood - 1995
Jude - Sue Bridehead - 1996
Hamlet - Ophelia - 1996
Titanic - Rose DeWitt Buktater - 1997
Hideous Kinky - Julia - 1998
Faeries - Brigid (Voice) - 1999
Holy Smoke! - Ruth Barron - 1999
Quills - Maddie LeClerc - 2000
Enigma - Hester Wallace - 2001
Christmas Carol: The Movie - Belle (Voice) 2001
Iris - Young Iris Murdoch - 2001
The Life of David Gale - Bitsey Bloon - 2003
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind - Clementine Kruczynski - 2004
Finding Neverland - Sylvia Davies - 2004
Romance and Cigarettes - Tula - 2005
All the King's Men - Anne Stanton - 2006
Little Children - Sarah Pierce - 2006
Flushed Away - Rita (Voice) - 2006
The Holiday - Iris Simpkins - 2006
Deep Sea 3D - Narrator (Voice) - 2006
The Fox and the Child - Narrator (Voice) - 2008
The Reader - Hannah Schmitz - 2008
Revolutionary Road - Hannah Wheeler - 2008

Awards and Nominations:

Winslet won an Academy Award for Best Actress for her performance in The Reader, as well as two Golden Globe Awards, one in in the category of Best Actress (Drama) for her performance in Revolutionary Road, the other in the Best Supporting Actress category for The Reader. She has won two BAFTA Awards: Best Actress for The Reader, and Best Supporting Actress for her performance in Sense and Sensibility (1995). She earned a total of six Academy Award nominations, seven Golden Globe nominations, and seven BAFTA nominations.[70][71]

She has received numerous awards from other organizations, including the Los Angeles Film Critics' Association (LAFCA) award for Best Supporting Actress for Iris (2001) and the Screen Actors Guild Award for Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Supporting Role for Sense and Sensibility and The Reader. For Holy Smoke! (1999), she was declared Best Actress runner-up by both the New York Film Critics' Circle (NYFCC) and the National Society of Film Critics (NSFC). Winslet was also NYFCC's Best Actress runner-up for Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (2004). Premiere magazine named her performance as Clementine Kruczynski in Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind the 81st greatest film performance of all time.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

The only movie I've seen Kate Winslet in is Titanic, and i love that movie! I mean, I'd probably love it regardless of whether or not Kate was in it, but I think that she did a great job. She and Leonardo DiCaprio seemed to have good chemistry (I mean, or else they just acted like they did!). I'm interested in seeing Revolutionary Road, but I haven't yet.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I don't like anything I've seen her in but don't know enough about her to dislike her. So, I guess I like her as a person and as an actress, she's practically invisible.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

A great choice for the discussion threads.

I actually love everything I have seen Kate Winslet in. Whether it is "Titanic" or "The Reader", and everything in between. The movie may have been a a terrible movie, but her performances are never terrible.

"Revolutionary Road" is one of those movies that she just chews up the scenery of every scene she is in.

I really think she may become the Meryl Streep of the 21st Century.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

I think she is so beautiful. Unfortunately, I haven't seen many of her movies, but she did leave a big impression on me after I saw her in "Sense & Sensibility."
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

Not only is she stunning, she's very talented, I'm really surprised that she got her first oscar only this year.

My favourite movie that she was in was "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", and yeah, Titanic is defenitly one of the best movies in her career.

Hey Daniel just in case you ever decide to make another actress thread, please pick any one of these actresses, those are personaly my top three :
1. Scarlett Johansson
2. Angelina Jolie
3. Keira Knightley

Thanks ! :D
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I've only seen a handful of her films, but I love her performances in all the ones I've seen. And I CANNOT wait to watch The Reader or Revolutionary Road.

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Jack Skellington wrote:Not only is she stunning, she's very talented, I'm really surprised that she got her first oscar only this year.

My favourite movie that she was in was "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind", and yeah, Titanic is defenitly one of the best movies in her career.

Hey Daniel just in case you ever decide to make another actress thread, please pick any one of these actresses, those are personaly my top three :
1. Scarlett Johansson
2. Angelina Jolie
3. Keira Knightley

Thanks ! :D
I'm sure I'll get to them at one point or another. Thanks for the suggestions, though! :)

To add my two cents to the discussion, I absolutely adore Kate Winselt. She's such a talented actress and a beautiful person. She takes on the dramatic roles with ease, playing them all in a unique way. I haven't seen many of her movies, but I'm hoping to change that this year.