Joaquin Phoenix' Disastrous Letterman Appearance

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Joaquin Phoenix' Disastrous Letterman Appearance

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Anyone else see this tonight? Here's the YouTube clip, which cuts out some of the extended awkwardness, but captures the highlights: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXpYk7WGN5Y

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

:lol: Dave

and

:lol: at Joaquin's act
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

rotfl

Omg... I pray to god this whole "rapper" act of his is just that, an act, because if not... the man has gone absolutely bat-sh!t insane.

Dave was hilarious though!

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Geez, celebrities are going nuts left and right!

First Christian Bale goes insane and now Joaquin Phoenix's losing it.
ImageImageImageImage

SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Part of me still thinks (hopes?) it's a joke, but I'm not sure even Joaquin is talented enough to pull off that charade.

But, wow, I forgot how much Dave Letterman is a good interviewer (I think that was fraught with grammatical errors). I love his style. Props to him for turning a horrifying train wreck into something genuinely hilarious.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

The part with the gum, the "high praise" moment, and when Dave says "that seems unlikely," it's pretty clear there's a serious problem.

But I have no doubt that this whole thing will resolve itself much like the whole assumed Madonna vs. Dave Letterman thing did. He'll look better some other day and word will get back to him that he looked out of control, then there'll be some kind of "it's okay" thing in the media at some point.

Of course, things are also much lazier this decade. So, they might just ignore it all. I have no doubt that this won't barely show up on Joaquin's radar.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

seriously, this HAS to be an act. I mean, that's why he's wearing the sunglasses. We can't see his real expression.

if this is not an act, then he's definitely gone completely insane.

but since one of his recent performances, where he fell off the stage, was filmed by Casey Affleck, me thinks he's just doing some Borat type of film.
katemonster
Special Edition

Post by katemonster »

Letterman was amazing. love that he just flat out said he couldn't rap on the show HAHA
At this point I am almost positive that it's an act but either way it's hilarious. Although I wonder if he tries to go back to make another film, if he won't be taken seriously? I love his work so I would be sad if he really did stop acting (in films that is)
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

That appearance is hilarious.
I hope Phoenix is only acting and doesn't take his "rapping" seriously.
Actually I don't care, but I think that Phoenix looks like Mr. Edwards from Little House on the Prairie with that beard and all.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

PatrickvD wrote:seriously, this HAS to be an act. I mean, that's why he's wearing the sunglasses. We can't see his real expression.

if this is not an act, then he's definitely gone completely insane.
If he were completely insane, he would be barking like a dog or talking to himself or hearing voices or having screaming fits in a paranoid delusion. At worst, what he was doing was having a dissociative episode. They often pass.

Celebrities today are overworked and over-stressed. No doubt he was just not in the mood to do that interview at that time. Celebrities of his stature don't spend a lot of time obsessing over an interview for David Letterman. He has been booked for tons of publicity gigs in the last few years. Most celebrities get a little punchy or outright tired and apathetic after some of it.
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

I think he was stoned during the interview, I don't think it was an act, his face was flushing. The craziest things always happen at the David Letterman show for some reason. :lol:

Anyway here's the video if your too lazy to go to youtube :

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_2syRS1EhY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u_2syRS1EhY&hl ... 2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »