Mid-Season 2009 - What Are You Watching?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Mid-Season 2009 - What Are You Watching?

Post by PeterPanfan »

Many shows are coming to television for midseason in '09. Which will you be tuning in for?

ABC:

The Bachelor
Monday, January 5 at 8 p.m.
The Bachelor is back, and this time he's Jason Mesnick, a handsome single dad who was heartbreakingly rejected by DeAnna Pappas in the season finale of The Bachelorette. Let's hope Jason has better luck this time around!

Scrubs
Tuesday, January 6 at 8 p.m.
Scrubs is back, and it has moved to ABC for its sure-to-be-quirky eight season! Tune in for a premiere featuring guest star Courteney Cox as Dr. Maddox, a gorgeous but unethical doctor who has arrived to replace Dr. Kelso.

Lost
Wednesday, January 21 at 8 p.m.
Lost returns with a recap special at 8 and a supersized season premiere at 9! Tonight, several of the Oceanic Six gang decide they must return to the island to take care of some unfinished business.

Castle
Monday, March 9 at 10 p.m.
Richard Castle, a successful mystery writer, has just killed off his main character--but now a real murderer is mimicking the crimes detailed in Castle's books, and the writer must help the NYPD trail and trap the killer.

Cupid
Tuesday, March 24 at 10 p.m.
Get ready for the resurrection of Cupid, Rob Thomas' failed 1998 series about a man who believes he is Cupid himself, sent to Earth with the task of matching 100 happy couples without the aid of magic.

The Unusuals
Wednesday, April 8 at 10 p.m.
This new "comedic procedural" follows Casey Schrager, an undercover vice detective whose devotion to honesty lands her a spot on the homicide squad.

CBS:

Game Show in My Head
Saturday, January 3 at 8 p.m.
Did someone say it was about time for another Ashton Kutcher reality show? Well, you got what you wanted: a hidden-camera extravaganza in which regular folks are instructed to perform ridiculous tasks in public places in the hopes of winning a cash prize!

Flashpoint
Friday, January 9 at 9 p.m.
Flashpoint, inspired by Toronto's Emergency Task Force, follows the lives and adventures of the Strategic Response Unit as they work to solve hostage situations, bust gangs, and defuse bombs.

Survivor
Thursday, February 12 at 8 p.m.
It's time for the 18th edition of Survivor--can you believe it? Watch as yet another group of castaways make friends, form alliances, and stab one another in the back in an effort to win it all.

The Amazing Race
Sunday, February 15 at 8 p.m.
The Amazing Race is back for its 14th season! This award-winning reality series pits small teams against one another in a globetrotting adventure full of physical and mental challenges designed to weed out the weak and reward the strong with a million-dollar prize.

Harper's Island
Thursday, April 15 at 10 p.m.
Described as a "13-episode mystery event," Harper's Island will tell the story of a group of family and friends who arrive on an isolated island to celebrate a wedding--and wind up being murdered one by one. Everyone's in danger, everyone's a suspect, and things can only get stranger once the season begins.

FOX:

Sunday, January 11 at 8 p.m.
Had your fill of Jack Bauer after 24: Redemption? Yeah, we didn't think so. Luckily for you, Fox enables your adrenaline addiction with a four-hour, two-part season premiere beginning tonight! 24 moves to Mondays on January 12.

American Idol
Tuesday, January 13 at 8 p.m.
It seems like only yesterday that young rocker David Cook snatched the American Idol crown from under David Archuleta's nose, but it's already time for another season to begin! Tune in tonight for a special two-hour premiere event.

Lie to Me
Wednesday, January 21 at 9 p.m.
Catch the series premiere of this new drama, which stars Tim Roth as Dr. Cal Lightman, the world's leading expert on deception detection. Watch as Lightman and his team dig deeply into the criminal world with an unwavering mission to uncover the truth, whatever it may be.

Hell's Kitchen
Thursday, January 29 at 10 p.m.
Fresh from Kitchen Nightmares, foul-mouthed Chef Gordon Ramsay and a new gang of hopeful winners return with a fifth season of rigorous culinary boot camp.

Dollhouse
Friday, February 13 at 9 p.m.
YES--Joss Whedon's latest series is finally here, complete with a starring role for Buffy alum Eliza Dushku. Penetrate the strange world of the Dollhouse, a top-secret organization that rents out human beings whose minds have been wiped clean and imprinted with whatever information their clients desire.

NBC:

Superstars of Dance
Sunday, January 4 at 9 p.m. (moves to Mondays at 8 on January 5)
Simon Cowell and Nigel Lythgoe bring you this new dance competition series, hosted by Michael Flatley of Lord of the Dance. Forget about amateur hour, for this show pits accomplished professional dancers against one another in a battle for cash and glory.

The Biggest Loser
Tuesday, January 6 at 8 p.m.
Tune in for another round of the show where the "biggest loser" is the biggest winner! This unscripted series puts two teams of overweight contestants under the guidance of celebrity fitness trainers who have the skills to transform their clients' bodies, health, and lives.

Howie Do It
Friday, January 9 at 8 p.m.
Host and comic Howie Mandel hits the streets in this new version of the classic TV prank show. Almost anything can happen, and it's all sure to be hilarious!

Medium
Monday, February 2 at 10 p.m.
Ready for more of Patricia Arquette's turn as a woman who sees visions of the dead? Tonight's the night!

Kings
Thursday, March 19 at 10 p.m.
Deadwood's own Ian McShane stars as King Silas in this modern-day reimagining of the biblical dale of King David.

Other Channels:

Masters of Illusion
Monday, January 5 at 9 p.m. on MyNetworkTV
Tune in each week for a thrilling demonstration of the arts of illusion by some of the greatest magicians on Earth!

Vice Squad
Tuesday, January 6 at 9 p.m. on MyNetworkTV
New series Vice Squad takes viewers on a wild ride across the country with local police units bent on finding and arresting the nation's worst vice criminals.

Nip/Tuck
Tuesday, January 6 at 10 p.m. on FX
After a hiatus nearly a whole year long, new episodes of Nip/Tuck resume tonight. What will those deliciously devilish plastic surgeons be up to this year? Watch and see!

13: Fear Is Real
Wednesday, January 7 at 8 p.m. on The CW
The CW's new horror-reality series will strand 13 young men and women in the Louisiana bayou for an all-out battle with their own deepest fears. One contestant will be "killed off" each week until the last one standing is left with the grand prize of $66,666.

Damages
Wednesday, January 7 at 10 p.m. on FX
As the second season of Damages begins, Patty Hewes' victory over Arthur Frobisher is tarnished by the intrusion of some demons from her past and devils of the present.

Big Love
Wednesday, January 7 at 8 p.m. on HBO
HBO's intriguing series about a suburban polygamist family is back for a third season. Roman has been arrested, Alby is ascending to power, and Bill is looking at a huge pile of personal and financial complications.

Battlestar Galactica
Friday, January 16 at 10 p.m. on Sci Fi
After a far-too-long break that left fans crying for more, Battlestar Galactica's fourth season resumes tonight! If you need a refresher course, tune in to Sci Fi starting at 6:30 p.m. for a recap and reruns of the last few episodes.

The L Word
Sunday, January 18 at 9 p.m. on Showtime
In the sixth and final season premiere of The L Word, a main character dies! Tune in tonight for the beginning of a very bumpy ride.

Secret Diary of a Call Girl
Sunday, January 18 at 10:30 p.m. on Showtime
In the second season premiere of Secret Diary of a Call Girl, all heck breaks loose when a blackmailing journalist spots Belle with a well-known politician.

Reaper
Tuesday, March 17 at 9 p.m. on The CW
Tune in to the second season premiere of Reaper, the dark comedy that follows Sam, a young man whose parents made a deal binding his soul to that of Satan himself.

I'll be watching:

"Dollhouse"
"Cupid"
"American Idol"

What will you be watching?
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

"American Idol"!!! I just noticed that it premieres on Bobby's birthday, though, so I'll have to remember to tape it (we'll be at WDW taking advantage of the free gift card on your birthday promotion!). From what I've read about the changes this season, I'm happy- apparently the auditions will focus less on the bad performers (the auditions are my least favorite part of the show). I remember that at the start of last season, I wasn't quite as excited about the show (but that all changed as the season went on).

That's it for me...that's pretty much the only network TV show that I watch...I'll flip through channels and occassionally watch repeats, but for the most part, AI is it for me on non-cable channels.
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

I'll try:
"Dollhouse" (It's Joss Whedon!!!)
"Cupid"
and on cable "The United States of Tara" (Tony Colette and John Corbett in a comedy has to be good)
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Must-watches for me:
Lost - Eee I cannot believe season 5 is upon us!
Battlestar Galactica - The moment I finish catching up with all the episodes leading to the final part.
Dollhouse - Curious to see what Joss has cooked up for us.
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Golly jee there are so many shows I want to watch:

Heroes
Lost
Scrubs
Dancing With The Stars
Ugly Betty
Survivor
House
Desperate Housewives
Supernanny
Wife Swap
Howie Do It
Lie To Me
Game Show In My Head

And probably more, I just can't think of them. Too bad Pushing Daisies won't be on anymore. It was definitely one of my favorite shows to watch on Wednesdays.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
xxhplinkxx
Collector's Edition

Post by xxhplinkxx »

I'll be watching Lost and Dollhouse!! Dear god, I can't wait for Dollhouse! More Joss Whedon and Eliza Dushku!!!!!!!

"Hip hop frightens you, doesn't it....Hmmm...Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate. Hate leads to endlessly posting threads about stupid white people. Hmmmmm....."

I love Siren!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

"Harper's Island"

"Dollhouse"

"Merlin" (to show my support for the series, since I already have DVD-R's of the 13 episodes)

Oh wait, NBC decided not to air "Merlin during midseason! Bad NBC! :evil:

I guess I'll rewatch the DVD-R's and virtually ignore NBC like I've been doing the past 4 years.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

Just 24 for me. :D
Jack Skellington
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jack Skellington »

I'm gonna watch American Idol, which will be be airing here the same day as the U.S, hey maybe we can make an American Idol thread on UD since a few other UD members are gonna watch it too.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

"Scrubs", "American Idol", and "Lost". There are others I'd be interested in checking out, but I'm looking to delete shows from my schedule, not add them. No time for more.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Jack Skellington wrote:hey maybe we can make an American Idol thread on UD since a few other UD members are gonna watch it too.
Every season (for the past couple of years, at least), we make an AI thread!
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Every year I say that I want, but I'll probably watch American Idol. Plan to checkout the next Biggest Loser show too.

Finally getting cable in a few weeks. I've been using OTA analog and digital since December 2007. So my TV patterns may, or may not change. I really don't mind having OTA, but it will be nice to have more than just the local networks again.
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

The L Word
Nip/Tuck
The Biggest Loser
Scrubs
Secret Diary of a Call Girl
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

American Idol is the only show of those that I plan to watch. As for what’s continuing that I’m watching, I stick mostly to ABC. Desperate Housewives is really the only show I care to see and like enough to buy the DVDs of, everything else is just passing entertainment: Ugly Betty, Greek, Grey’s Anatomy and Brothers and Sisters. Well, I take that back, I like Ugly Betty pretty good, too (not as much as DH, but better than the others).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Gurgi30
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Gurgi30 »

I'm up for Dollhouse and Harper's Island. Dollhouse should be good as I've never seen a clunker from Joss and the premise for Harper's Island at least sounds interesting. I hate reality TV and nothing else looks remotely interesting.