New scenes in movies?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
pap64
Platinum Edition

New scenes in movies?

Post by pap64 »

Has anyone ever caught a movie on TV and noticed that there are new scenes that weren't in the original film release, video and DVD release? I've noticed this a couple of times before. The most recent was ABC Family's showing "The Grinch".

I saw the film in theaters way back in 2000, owned the DVD and saw it a million times and I know for a fact that the ABC Family showing had new scenes that weren't even on the DVD as deleted scenes!

How come this happens? I know this isn't the first time a movie has new scenes not shown in theaters or DVD.

Anyone remember any other examples?
ImageImageImageImage

blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I think that Who Framed Roger Rabbit has aired on TV with the pig face scene...
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

I had a topic devoted to this (well, to the various cuts of films) which I haven't updated in awhile, and there's a fair amount of misinformation that needs correcting. Perhaps it can be something I can work on over winter break...

The Director's/Theatrical/Extended/Other Cuts Discussion

But to add to the current discussion, I was watching The Brady Bunch Movie on HBO, and they've always shown the theatrical version which didn't include a few of the additional scenes with the Dittmeyers (which were often restored for other TV airings, but not on the VHS/laserdisc/DVD):
-Greg joining Eric's garage band and subsequently being kicked out

-Peter mowing the lawn, then fainting when he sees Mrs. Dittmeyer exercising with a thigh buster

-Mr. Dittmeyer putting termites on the Brady's foundation, only to have his dog take it back to their house (and subsequently, he sits on a toilet and falls through the floor - which explains why he's got the neck brace and new toilet in the mall scene)

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

The original Halloween I believe had a cable version, which should also be available on vhs for sure if not dvd by now.
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

One of the reasons WHY this happens is because they edit some scenes for TV (nudity/violence/language) and need to pad out the running time. Some films just use some deleted scenes, but some of these scenes may be filmed specifically for TV release.

That being said, however, I personally would like to see these scenes on the DVD, either as Deleted Scenes, or maybe with both versions of the film in a branching format. For that matter, I am not adverse to seeing the added TV scenes included in an "Extended cut" that also includes the language/violence/nudity that was edited for TV.