Favorite Romantic Comedies?

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

This thread totally has my name all over it (well, maybe not my name, but I know I'm bound to reply to this). I'm such a huge fan (and critic) of romcoms.

My absolute favorite romcoms:
1. When Harry Met Sally... - sorry, Panfan, but this is the ruler of the romantic comedy, despite its last 20 minutes being a complete betrayal of everything the film was about. It not only examines all the stages of the male/female relationship, but it does so in an intelligent and humorous way through characters that actually have flaws, and situations that can really happen.

2. Love Actually - it's even billed as "The Ultimate Romantic Comedy", and almost is, but it gets too sentimental at times and a couple stories are clunkers, IMO)

3. Much of Audrey Hepburn's Filmography: Roman Holiday, Sabrina, Funny Face, Love in the Afternoon, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Paris When It Sizzles, How to Steal a Million, and They All Laughed - mostly stems from the fact that I lobsterlove Audrey Hepburn, with Sabrina my favorite film from her work. And They All Laughed is vastly underappreciated.

4. Bringing Up Baby - it's more screwball than romantic, but I still love it.

5. Say Anything - IMO, it's the best of the 80s teen films, and it's more romantic than comedy. Plus, it's got a bitchin' soundtrack.

Great/Good romcoms that I enjoy:
The Apartment
Barefoot in the Park
Benny & Joon
Born Yesterday
Christmas In Connecticut
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
Emma
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Goodbye Girl
High Fidelity
Hitch
Legally Blonde
The Mating Season (has yet to appear on DVD)
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Music and Lyrics
Must Love Dogs
A New Kind of Love
Ninotchka
No Reservations
The Philadelphia Story
Pillow Talk
Pretty in Pink
Prime
The Prince and the Showgirl
The Princess Diaries
Serendipity
Shakespeare In Love
She Done Him Wrong
Sixteen Candles
Sleepless in Seattle
Some Like It Hot
Starter for 10
Steel Magnolias
Sunday in New York (has yet to appear on DVD)
The Sure Thing
What's Up, Doc?

Not-really-good-but-better-than-most romcoms that I enjoy:
The American President
Clueless
Dave
Father of the Bride (original and remake)
How to Marry A Millionaire
I Could Never Be Your Woman
Just Like Heaven
Kate and Leopold
Knocked Up
License to Wed
Love Potion #9
Maid in Manhattan
Move Over, Darling
My Best Friend's Wedding
The Object of My Affection
One Crazy Summer
The Pick-Up Artist
Picture Perfect
Pretty Woman
Sweet Home Alabama
That Touch of Mink
Two Weeks Notice
Under the Tuscan Sun
Wedding Crashers
What Woman Want
While You Were Sleeping
You've Got Mail

Not-really-good and Bad romcoms that I enjoy:
The Bachelor
Blind Dating
Can't Buy Me Love
The Holiday
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
It Had To Be You
Just My Luck
Loverboy
Milk Money
Monster-In-Law
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
My Super Ex Girlfriend
Never Been Kissed
Notting Hill
Overboard
Raising Helen
Shallow Hal

Romcoms that I just don't see the appeal of or care much for:
50 First Dates
Along Came Polly
Annie Hall
The Bridget Jones movies
Jerry Maguire
Runaway Bride
Splash (sorry, Panfan)
There's Something About Mary
The Wedding Singer

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

If you can qualify it as such... the only one I really like is:

The Sweetest Thing

"You're only second rate!"
Cordy_Biddle
Anniversary Edition

Post by Cordy_Biddle »

I can't believe nobody has said the ruler of all romantic comedies...

Splash. =D
Personally, I'd reserve something like "Holiday" or "The Philadelphia Story" as the ruler of all romantic comedies...though of course I do love "Splash".
I'm just valentine candy and boxing-gloves!

My DVD Collection :
http://classic-movieguy.dvdaf.com/
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Albert, get on AIM sometime. I need to talk romcoms with you. :lol:

From your list, I STILL haven't seen When Harry Met Sally, because my stupid video store refuses to get it in. I'm almost positive my aunt has the VHS of it, so that will have to be sufficient until I get the new Collector's Edition.

Love, Actually is my favorite romantic comedy.

I still haven't seen any Audrey Hepburn films, yet. I really want to see Sabrina and Breakfast at Tiffany's. How is the newer edition of Sabrina, with Harrison Ford?

Haven't seen Bringing Up Baby yet, either.

Every time I'm in the Comedy section, I always *almost* get Say Anything. I will definitly have too, soon.

Out of the rest of your list. Bold means I've seen it. [b]Bold and Underlined [/b] means I liked it.

Great/Good romcoms that I enjoy:
The Apartment
Barefoot in the Park
Benny & Joon
Born Yesterday
Christmas In Connecticut
The Courtship of Eddie's Father
Emma
Four Weddings and a Funeral
The Goodbye Girl
High Fidelity
Hitch
Legally Blonde
The Mating Season (has yet to appear on DVD)
A Midsummer Night's Dream
Music and Lyrics
Must Love Dogs
A New Kind of Love
Ninotchka
No Reservations
The Philadelphia Story
Pillow Talk
Pretty in Pink
Prime
The Prince and the Showgirl
The Princess Diaries
Serendipity Shakespeare In Love
She Done Him Wrong
Sixteen Candles
Sleepless in Seattle
Some Like It Hot
Starter for 10
Steel Magnolias
Sunday in New York (has yet to appear on DVD)
The Sure Thing
What's Up, Doc?

Not-really-good-but-better-than-most romcoms that I enjoy:
The American President
Clueless (just as a comedy, though)
Dave
Father of the Bride (original and remake)
How to Marry A Millionaire
I Could Never Be Your Woman
Just Like Heaven
Kate and Leopold
Knocked Up
License to Wed
Love Potion #9
Maid in Manhattan
Move Over, Darling
My Best Friend's Wedding
The Object of My Affection
One Crazy Summer
The Pick-Up Artist
Picture Perfect
Pretty Woman
Sweet Home Alabama
That Touch of Mink
Two Weeks Notice
Under the Tuscan Sun
Wedding Crashers
What Woman Want
While You Were Sleeping
You've Got Mail

Not-really-good and Bad romcoms that I enjoy:
The Bachelor
Blind Dating
Can't Buy Me Love
The Holiday
How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days
It Had To Be You
Just My Luck (it's LiLo, how can you not love it??)
Loverboy
Milk Money
Monster-In-Law
My Big Fat Greek Wedding
My Super Ex Girlfriend (HATE)
Never Been Kissed
Notting Hill
Overboard
Raising Helen
Shallow Hal

Romcoms that I just don't see the appeal of or care much for:
50 First Dates
Along Came Polly
Annie Hall
The Bridget Jones movies (I don't like them, either)
Jerry Maguire
Runaway Bride
Splash (sorry, Panfan) ( :twisted: )
There's Something About Mary
The Wedding Singer
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Panfan wrote:Albert, get on AIM sometime. I need to talk romcoms with you. :lol:
:lol:

I need to re-install AIM on my computer (I just got it back from BestBuy and the Geek Squad and had to re-install my entire operating system, long story).
Panfan wrote:From your list, I STILL haven't seen When Harry Met Sally, because my stupid video store refuses to get it in. I'm almost positive my aunt has the VHS of it, so that will have to be sufficient until I get the new Collector's Edition.
:D

From what I remember, I've gotten Ceej and Ames to watch it, and Mike still has yet to watch it (despite me always grilling him to).
Panfan wrote:Love, Actually is my favorite romantic comedy.
Which is your favorite story? Mine is the Jamie/Aurelia one, because it's mostly about the language of love, and how it knows no barriers (which is what English and Portuguese is to Aurelia and Jamie). Plus, it's got the best proposal scene I've seen (so far) in movies.
Panfan wrote:I still haven't seen any Audrey Hepburn films, yet.
:jawdrop:

That's it, I'm taking away your romcom membership card!
Panfan wrote:How is the newer edition of Sabrina, with Harrison Ford?
It's been too long since I last saw it, and I didn't like it much the last time I saw it. See the Hepburn version first, and the Ford version only if you think you need to (but otherwise, avoid it). It's not awful, but it's not great either (despite the great cast/director/etc.).
Panfan wrote:Haven't seen Bringing Up Baby yet, either.
You better, otherwise you'll never understand what I mean if I ever say "I wasn't going to hit George!" or "I might have known it was you. I had a feeling just as I hit the floor.
Panfan wrote:Every time I'm in the Comedy section, I always *almost* get Say Anything. I will definitly have too, soon.
Yay!
Panfan wrote:Out of the rest of your list. Bold means I've seen it. [b]Bold and Underlined [/b] means I liked it.

No Reservations
You didn't like No Reservations? Hmmm..

And I absolutely insist that you also rent The Philadelphia Story when you get Bringing Up Baby. And throw in Some Like It Hot too, just for some good fun.

Albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I'll rent Say Anything tonight, along with a few others. My movie storie has this awesome "Rent 5 Old Movies for $5.55"! :P

My favorite Love, Actually story was a tie between the little boy and his stepfather and the Alan Rickman/Emma Thompson story. I loved them all, though. Well, except Bill Nighy's. :headshake:
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

PeterPanfan wrote:I'll rent Say Anything tonight, along with a few others. My movie storie has this awesome "Rent 5 Old Movies for $5.55"! :P

My favorite Love, Actually story was a tie between the little boy and his stepfather and the Alan Rickman/Emma Thompson story. I loved them all, though. Well, except Bill Nighy's. :headshake:
Ugh, I hated the stuff about Alan Rickman and Emma Thompson, though I usually enjoy Rickman.

While I do like some of the stuff you don't, Escapay (like Something About Mary, despite that I don't find "Mary"/Cameron Diaz appealing, and Splash, though Daryl Hannah doesn't do it for me either), I am just happy that I'm not the only one who doesn't think "Annie Hall" is all that great. Frankly, I could do without Diane Keaton in general.

As for me, here's some off the top of my head:

Bringing Up Baby (just one of my fave films of all time) and any of Cary Grant's black and white stuff (never was very interested in his color work for some reason)

Enchanted (as live-action romances go, this is probably my fave from now one)

Just Friends (totally hilarious)

Down With Love (another that's totally delightful!)

Music and Lyrics (not so sure how much of this is just because Haley Bennett is just amazing to look at in that film)

The Princess Bride (who doesn't love this one? You? How dare you!)

Sixteen Candles (despite that I don't go for most '80's chick flicks)

It Happened One Night

Office Space (okay, here's where it gets trick... most movies have a romance thing happening, so I don't know, maybe this and many others I could mention are really just comedies, not romance comedies...., I mean, I could throw in Hot Rod too... anyway, another AWESOME flick)

The Love Bug movies (anything Disney really; Oh, Happiest Millionaire!)

Clueless

A Midsummer Knight's Dream (the one with Callista Flockhart)

Elf (does that count?)

Blast From the Past

My Date With the President's Daughter (okay, the reason I constantly promote this movie is that Elisabeth Harnois in this film is my idea of perfection; be glad I'm not listing all of Hilary Duff's movies)

Wedding Crashers

As Good As It Gets (if it counts)

Knocked Up

Kate and Leopold and What Women Want (though I barely remember them)

Splash

Wedding Singer

Believe it or not, I still really need to sit and watch "When Harry Met Sally" from beginning to end. As for the Audrey Hepburn stuff, I was never really a fan of hers.

Um, I could name a lot more, but it's the "comedy" part that throws me off. Hard to think of many I would define as true romance comedies, as most seem to have drama or fantasy in them at least as much as comedy. Like, would Ever After count? I love many things about it, all in spite of Drew Barrymore.

I'm sure I'm just forgetting a lot too, but I haven't slept yet. I'm sure even some things have been mentioned before that should be on my list.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

I didn't know that the romcom genre was so broad- I really like Molly Ringwald & Audrey Hepburn movies, so they'd be in my 2nd fave romcom group, if I made one, I guess...

And I haven't seen When Harry Met Sally... yet. I still need to forget what happens at the end. Thanks, Albert. :P
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Oh, Ames, do you mean the part where...

Just kidding. :P
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Funny enough, as much as I enjoy love stories I don't watch that many romantic comedies. :p

Here are some that I watched and truly enjoyed:

-Bewitched: I don't care what critics and the general audience say. The movie was cute! Nicole Kidman was adorable and Will Ferrel was great. They actually make a very cute couple (beautiful woman and the fool :) ).

-Wedding Crashers: What I find funny is that when this movie came out me and my friend thought this was going to be yet another dumb frat boy/sexy comedy where the main joke was going to be "how many chicks will these guys sleep with before the movie ends". But after many recommendations we finally saw it and it was great! I never thought of it as a romantic comedy, but it does become one near the end. Its also a great "guy love" movie :p .

-Enchanted: Its cheesy. Its corny. Its overly romantic. Its Disney. I love it! Enough said.

-The Princess Diaries: Like "Enchanted", its very corny but its so much fun.

-The Terminal: Tom Hanks was awesome in this one, and the story was fun. Though, for some odd reason I fail to see Tom Hanks and Catherine Zeta Jones as an on screen couple...
ImageImageImageImage

BelleGirl
Anniversary Edition

Post by BelleGirl »

May I mention About a boy? It's about more things than just romance, but I love it!
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Must add Guess Who's Coming to Dinner (1967) to list.

And why is there now way to get the title song to Barefoot in the Park and "Glory of Love" from Guess Who's Coming to Dinner on mp3 format?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

BelleGirl wrote:May I mention About a boy? It's about more things than just romance, but I love it!
How the hell did I forget about About a Boy? It's one of my favorite movies from the past decade, and one of the better Hugh Grant films out there.

Anyway, to add more to the romcom discussion, has anyone else seen Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day? It is, perhaps, the cutest movie of 2008. And by cutest I mean you go in and already feel happy, you watch it and you feel happy, and you leave and feel even happier. It's such an upbeat and fun Cinderella-ish story. Sure, the ending is a bit too convenient (but then again, most romcoms are), but you just fall in love with all the characters that you want nothing more than their happiness.

Another romcom (though more accurately, it's a teen comedy) to add to my growing list of favorites is Sydney White. It's a college-ized version of "Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs" and is utterly predictable, badly written, and with such over-the-top and stereotyped characters. But it's another cute and adorable movie.
Wire Hanger wrote:And why is there now way to get the title song to Barefoot in the Park and "Glory of Love" from Guess Who's Coming to Dinner on mp3 format?
Did you try Total Recorder while playing the DVD on your computer?

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
blackcauldron85

Escapay wrote: Did you try Total Recorder while playing the DVD on your computer?
But after using Total Recorder, you need to use a program such as Switch to turn the .wav file into a .mp3 file. Just FYI.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

Escapay wrote:Did you try Total Recorder while playing the DVD on your computer?

albert
Ok I don't even have the DVD let alone the fancy programs. Besides if I did a DVD rip of the Barefoot in the Park theme I'd get Jane's random yellings during the title sequence and I'd rather the not be on the mp3 file.
blackcauldron85

Have you looked for the songs on YouTube?
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

fave romantic comedy

Post by carolinakid »

Trick 1999
The love story with Gabriel & Mark is so romantic and the comedy provided by Miss Coco Peru and Tori Spelling is hilarious!

Jon
Elladorine
Diamond Edition

Post by Elladorine »

I enjoy catching Breakfast at Tiffany's every once in a while. :D
Dottie
Collector's Edition

Post by Dottie »

Escapay wrote: Anyway, to add more to the romcom discussion, has anyone else seen Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day? It is, perhaps, the cutest movie of 2008. And by cutest I mean you go in and already feel happy, you watch it and you feel happy, and you leave and feel even happier. It's such an upbeat and fun Cinderella-ish story. Sure, the ending is a bit too convenient (but then again, most romcoms are), but you just fall in love with all the characters that you want nothing more than their happiness.
I bought it on DVD when I was in the States and I absolutely loved it. It gives you this warm fuzzy feeling while still being very funny at times and touching too. The scene in which Amy Adams sings that song with Lee Pace accompanying her on the piano is simply beautiful.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Dottie wrote:The scene in which Amy Adams sings that song with Lee Pace accompanying her on the piano is simply beautiful.
I know, it's probably one of my favorite scenes in the entire movie.

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61: