Spider-Man 4

All topics on all things Marvel.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

I actually liked Spider-Man 3... I have this theory that 99% of people are too stupid to understand its truly intricate plot and go "Waah! There's too much happening at once! This movie sucks!"

And hey, I liked Batman and Robin! It's better than Batman Forever! So what if it has corny action, I actually like it! (And yes I have all 4 on 2-disc DVD, from that Batman set)

Though I really think Spider-Man shoulda stopped at 3... they're gonna do what Superman did (remember how Superman 1 was good, 2 was OK, and the other ones just sucked?)

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

The problem wasn't that the plot was "intricate", it was that in trying to cram so much it lacked focus. And it tried to shoe-horn in more backstory with Sandman killing Uncle Ben that wasn't really necessary, and if needed, might have been better explored in its own film. And the ludicrous "bad" Spider-man scenes. And any time the movie paid homage to a musical.

Will I still see four? Maybe. I think it depends who ends up in them.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
slave2moonlight
Diamond Edition

Post by slave2moonlight »

drfsupercenter wrote:I actually liked Spider-Man 3... I have this theory that 99% of people are too stupid to understand its truly intricate plot and go "Waah! There's too much happening at once! This movie sucks!"
I'm inclined to agree with you on that point. I think that happens with a lot of movies.

However, gotta disagree on everything else ya posted. :wink:

Anyway, I'll look forward to more Spidey movies. The most common complaints I've heard about part 3 are these: Venom didn't get enough screentime/development and needed his own Spidey movie to be done properly, and that the part where Spidey does his dance was "stupid".

I really don't see what the problem was with Spidey's little dance. I've seen people rave about much cornier stuff in movies. I liked it. I would say the Venom thing is a more legitimate complaint, but I still think that the movie worked fine with it. Everything was very well woven together.

The only complaint I had was about how the symbiote entered the picture. It was a bit too easy. Just flew in on a meteorite, right into Spidey's backyard. It's the ONLY thing I have a problem with in that otherwise very enjoyable film.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

drf wrote:I have this theory that 99% of people are too stupid to understand its truly intricate plot
"Truly intricate plot"? You *were* watching Spider-Man 3, weren't you? The thing was so goddamn cookie-cutter predictable that it's the worst of the three movies for reasons beyond the usual excuses (forcing in extra characters, turning it into a musical comedy, etc.).
drf wrote:And hey, I liked Batman and Robin! It's better than Batman Forever!
BLASPHEMY! Batman Forever is miles ahead of the 2-hour commercial for Batman toys...
Spring, Jack! Heel, Jack! wrote:Will I still see four? Maybe. I think it depends who ends up in them.
I have a feeling you won't see it, Brendan. Unless it's a flashback, there won't be any scenes of Harry in boxers. :P

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

Escapay wrote:
Spring, Jack! Heel, Jack! wrote:Will I still see four? Maybe. I think it depends who ends up in them.
I have a feeling you won't see it, Brendan. Unless it's a flashback, there won't be any scenes of Harry in boxers. :P
Ack, that's right! Damn. I can only hope Peter will get a new, equally hot best friend who has a subplot in which he tries to ban pants.

And it was boxer BRIEFS. It's in my head very vividly. Boxers are lame, but James Franco in boxer briefs is the highlight of this or any other picture.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

SpringHeelJack wrote:
Ack, that's right! Damn. I can only hope Peter will get a new, equally hot best friend who has a subplot in which he tries to ban pants.
Tobey Maguire and introducing LOOMIS in SPIDER-MAN IV!!!
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

Yay! :D and I liked Spider-Man 3,I have no idea what people has againts it.
drfsupercenter
Anniversary Edition

Post by drfsupercenter »

"Truly intricate plot"? You *were* watching Spider-Man 3, weren't you? The thing was so goddamn cookie-cutter predictable that it's the worst of the three movies for reasons beyond the usual excuses (forcing in extra characters, turning it into a musical comedy, etc.).
Well, I mean just that there were 3 villians, it wasn't too hard to understand at all. People think it's too confusing because they can't keep a decent attention span, but it wasn't hard to understand at all.
Maybe it's not an "intricate" plot, but the idea is the same... Most people are too stupid to understand what's going on.

And I did hate the "emo Peter" scenes... I'm willing to overlook those for the rest of the movie.
BLASPHEMY! Batman Forever is miles ahead of the 2-hour commercial for Batman toys...
Well, it mainly had to do with the villains. Jim Carrey as the Riddler just didn't work well in my opinion... they tried to add comic relief where it just wasn't due. I wasn't laughing at all, more like groaning.
And this goes for any movie that tries to use Jim Carrey as a villain... Remember that Unfortunate Events book? The movie adaptation was just awful... Count Olaf isn't supposed to be a comedic villain! His role as the Grinch was OK, but the Grinch isn't really a villain so much as a confused character.

Either way, it's been a few years since I've seen any of the old Batman movies in their entirety. I just remember liking Batman and Robin a little more that Batman Forever, regardless of what the critics and everyone at IMDb says.

Howard Ashman:
He gave a mermaid her voice, a beast his soul, and Arabs something to complain about
Arabian Nights (Unedited)
Savages (Uncensored)
If it ain't OTV, it ain't worth anything!
Mollyzkoubou
Limited Issue

Post by Mollyzkoubou »

I liked Jim Carrey's Riddler, oddly. Though yeah. Joel Schumacher was no Tim Burton... Richard Lester was no Richard Donner... etc., etc., etc. And all big franchises that eventually fall into sequelitis go down the can.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

drfsupercenter wrote:
Well, I mean just that there were 3 villains, it wasn't too hard to understand at all. People think it's too confusing because they can't keep a decent attention span, but it wasn't hard to understand at all. Maybe it's not an "intricate" plot, but the idea is the same... Most people are too stupid to understand what's going on.
Its nothing to do with being too stupid. It's because there were so many villains in Spider-Man 3, that each and every one was squandered. The biggest crime was Sandman. Here, we had an opportunity to have a character with as much character depth and development as Dr Octopus in Spider-Man 2. In fact, many hint were dropped about this, him only being "bad" to help his daughter, his criminal actions alienating him from his wife etc. Then it was all forgotten about (because we need those big fight scenes don't we?) Only to be brought up at the end in a few lines of dialogue and have the character slink away into the darkness. To me, that's a sure sign the Sandman plot was dropped in favour of cramming more villains in.

Then there's the Green Goblin/New Goblin/Hobgoblin whatever you want to call him. Hell, he didn't even have a name in the movie! It's only the merchandise that gives him one ("New" Goblin I believe). In itself this sub-plot was fine, but had the lamest of conclusions. The guy's butler (who I don't believe we have seen before) comes in and basically says "By the way Young Master, your father was a f**k-up!". That's it? That's how Harry changes his mind? That one short "conversation" (I use the quote marks because it wasn't even two way) His whole motivation over the two films since Spider-Man 1 dropped because of some clumsy shoehorned in exposition because the writers couldn't find time in the script to write an organic, natural, believable way of Harry finding out this information (which let's face it, must be pretty easy to find out while your rummaging through dad's pumpkin bombs and other weapons of destruction).

So out of the three, we have two potentially strong characters and storylines scuppered by the fact that neither could get the screen time to develop their story properly.

Then we have Venom. A character so one-dimensional in the comics that he should never have been in the movie in the first place. But, unbelievingly, the movie makes the villain have even less character in the movie! From the lazy "oh, look, I'm an alien and I've just happened to land near Peter Parker and hitched a lift on his moped" opening, to the "Doctor Conners warns Peter about the alien goo and Peter hardly seems to bother" (I know, you'll claim he was affected by the symbiote by that point, but really, its still crappy writing) to the lacklustre final battle (all that hype about Venom and it’s a guy who's most of the time in a poorly fitted mask and trapped in a cage of girders like a cartoon character) and destroyed by the sonic waves and an explosion? I know Venom is venerable to sonics in the comics, but I've seen weather forecasts on TV which used more imagination than the way Venom was destroyed in the movie.

Add to this the fact they turned Mary Jane into an asshole (and Dunst tellingly had little emotional involvement as she acted these scenes and I'm not surprised the script was so lousy), added Gwen Stacy to the character roster for no reason I can possibly see (let's face it her character was either Liz Allen's or Debra Whitman's (from the Animated Series rather than the comics), not Gwen's. Why bring Gwen into the mix when there's a snowball's chance in hell that she'll be back in the comics? (The proper comics that is, not this Ultimate crap, where again Gwen is a totally different character))

No Spider-Man 3 was an awful film, and all because just like with the earlier Batman films, the creators got greedy and ignored what made the other two films so successful.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Ariel'sprince
Platinum Edition
Location: beyond the meadows of joy and the valley of contentment

Post by Ariel'sprince »

2099net-Yeah,in the merchandise the goblin's name is New Goblin.
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

DaveWadding wrote:
SpringHeelJack wrote:Ack, that's right! Damn. I can only hope Peter will get a new, equally hot best friend who has a subplot in which he tries to ban pants.
Tobey Maguire and introducing LOOMIS in SPIDER-MAN IV!!!
:lol: Oh man... Peter Parker must confront a new menace in Australia and along the way he meets an Australian with a curious dislike for pants in "Spider-man Down Under". I would be in line for the midnight showing for that one.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Hopefully Spider-Man 4 will have some kind of Sinster Six cliffhanger that continues in Spider-Man 5.

Oh..look at that Marvel is making a Vemon movie isn't Vemon dead?

Just like Electra you can't keep a dead Marvel character down.
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Spider-Man: Take 4 - 4th installment coming May 2011

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

It can't possibly be any worse than the musical comedy that was Spider-Man 3, so I'm looking forward to the fourth film. Plus, maybe the Spider-Man franchise will be like the Star Trek one and the even-numbered films are better than the odd-numbered ones (even if even-numbered Nemesis was a train wreck and odd-numbered-rebooted Star Trek was awesome)

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I hope the fourth installment will be better than the last one (Which wasn't really bad, just lacking).
Dark Gargoyle

Post by Dark Gargoyle »

I was thinking the next movie would come out in 2010. Since the first movie came out in 2001, three years later came the second movie in 2004, and another three years after that came the third movie in 2007.

Anyway, I am most excited about who the next villain would be. I honestly thought Venom had a poor amount of time in the last movie, so I'm hoping he will return along with his counterpart Carnage. Maybe Sandman can come back as well, but most likely as a good guy. (Unless he's brainwashed yet again to steal money for his family)

Along with those three, I wouldn't mind if the Lizard made an appearance as well. After all, he does seem to have a great personal identidy enough to reach the big screen.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Escapay wrote:It can't possibly be any worse than the musical comedy that was Spider-Man 3, so I'm looking forward to the fourth film. Plus, maybe the Spider-Man franchise will be like the Star Trek one and the even-numbered films are better than the odd-numbered ones (even if even-numbered Nemesis was a train wreck and odd-numbered-rebooted Star Trek was awesome)

albert
As a "Star Trek" fan, I'd have to disagree with you. Abrams simply turned "Star Trek" into "Star Wars" and I for one am rather ticked off by that! But, I get what you are saying.

I loved all the Spider-Man films thus far, but my take is, and this goes for "X-Men 3" and "Pirates 3" as well, is that instead of being honest with themselves, the various movie studios and film makes tried to cram way to much stuff into all of them, thus making them come out a bit more lame then they should have.

In the case of "Spider-Man 3," I think if they had focused just on Harry and Sandman or Harry and Venom, it may have come out better.

I'm really looking forward to Spider-Man 4 myself.
MadasaHatter
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MadasaHatter »

PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

I honestly haven't really liked a villain since the Green Goblin, so hopefully the fourth film will have an interesting one.

And will Gwen Stacey be back?