The Producers (2005)

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

The Producers (2005)

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

http://sonypictures.co.uk/movies/thepro ... pinvision/

Your frist look at the film based on the play based on film about a play. :)
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

A movie musical based on a Tony winning Broadway sensation?

Why am I not interested? I have yet to see the actual stage show, but I heard that is is very overrated. It's mainly beloved because it's super silly and keeps you laughing non-stop. Good if that's what you look for in theater, bad if you want something substantive and resonant. The preview pretty much confirmed my initial inklings of the show in general. Fun, showy, and a chance for the actors to get campy. I'll pass. :roll:
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Oh because of this film the 1968 film "The Producers" is geting a 2 disc December 13th and I just spent $30 on the old SE!!!! Darn it.

Oh and starting this week Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick will be starting up Neil Simon's The Odd Couple agin.
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:Oh and starting this week Nathan Lane & Matthew Broderick will be starting up Neil Simon's The Odd Couple agin.
So if that is as successful as their broadway run of The Producers then I guess we'll be seeing a new movie version of The Odd Couple too!
TashieGirl
Gold Classic Collection

Post by TashieGirl »

Isn't it just a remake of the 1968 version starring Gene Wilder? :? I'm confused.

I don't really know much about The Producers but my friend is a big fan of the musical. Not only are Matthew Bordrerick and Nathan Lane star in this movie (and the musical) but they were also in The Lion King together! Yeah, that was just one of my stupid observations. I think I want to see the stage show first but if I do see this in the movie theater, it's probably because my friend dragged me to go see it.
"But I guarantee you, if straight men had a period you would never hear the end of it."
-Margaret Cho
creid
Gold Classic Collection

Post by creid »

The movie coming out this year, The Producers, is based upon the stage play with Broderick & Nathan. It will follow the musical play and not have the LSD character and the role of the Swedish secretary is enhanced. (Since Brooks wrote both, he stole from himself.) I just hope they don't lose all these parts.

Doc Goebbels: Danke schön, mein Führer.
Lorenzo St. DuBois: Hey, you're a German.
Doc Goebbels: We're all Germans.
Lorenzo St. DuBois: That's right. [gasps]
Lorenzo St. DuBois: That means we CANNOT invade Germany.
creid
(The babysitter bandit)...“stealing the valuable objects it took a family a lifetime to shop for.” – The Simpsons
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Lots of news today
1st.today they have a spot on access hollywood today so look shrap
2nd the Title has now been change to simply 'The Producers'
3rd the US site is now open ( http://www.theproducersmovie.com/ )
4th the DVD of the '68 film has now been reviled to as just a rehash of the older SE but with a new look at the musical (and it is 2 disc insted of a 2 sided disc.)
AND 5th the cover for DVD of the '68 film is up at amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/ ... /ref=nosim )
MICKEYMOUSE
Special Edition

Post by MICKEYMOUSE »

LOL!! That it looks really good, and really funny!! OMG!! Uma Turman.....She is sooooooooooooo hot!!!!!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it." - Walt Disney
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

opps I missed that the site has the new US Theatrical Trailer.
Hogi Bear
Special Edition
Location: New Zealand - Population: 60+ Million Sheep Origin: Unknown

Post by Hogi Bear »

I also noticed it had Matthew Broderick (Simba) and Nathan Lane (Timon), who co-starred in the Lion King, so I don't think that's really a silly observation.

It's interesting to see Nathan Lane in person on screen and the fact that you can kind of hear Timon, but of course not as much.

It'll be interesting to see what it's like.

Trailer 1 (Direct Download (remember to rename it)):
http://mp3content02.bcst.yahoo.com/pub0 ... 915234.mov (19.8 MB - Large)
No signature needed - Kyoto Animation put out some beautiful animation
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

MAJOR US WEB SITE UPDATES!!!!!
Vid clips, wallpapers, soundtrack clips, pics and SO MUCH MORE!!
http://www.theproducersmovie.com/

(dang I sound like I'm writing them a ad lol :lol: )

Also the films soundtrack is now out.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Anyone heard any news on the DVD release at all? It's theater run is pretty much over (unfortunate, but true). Being slightly obsessed with this movie as I am, I want to get it on DVD ASAP!

-Aaron
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

AwallaceUNC wrote:Anyone heard any news on the DVD release at all? It's theater run is pretty much over (unfortunate, but true). Being slightly obsessed with this movie as I am, I want to get it on DVD ASAP!

-Aaron
Nope I will post as soon as I find anything thou. And HOW is it over?????? Some places are still playing Chicken Little and I could not see this a 2nd time on Jan. 15th (if your wondering I saw Last Holiday that night in it place) when it started on CHRISMAS DAY?!?!?!?!?! What was up with that?!?!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

JiminyCrick91 wrote:What was up with that?!?!
This was up with that. :(

-Aaron
GhostHost
Gold Classic Collection

Post by GhostHost »

a real shame it bombed. It is a wonderful movie. How can crap like Hitch and The 40 Year Old Virign make over 100 million and this be a failure?
Wlecome, foolish mortals, to the Haunted Mansion.
I am your host, your ghost host
Is this haunted room actally stretching or is it just your imagination?
Beware of Hitchiking Ghosts
-The Haunted Mansion(DL and MK)
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

GhostHost wrote:a real shame it bombed. It is a wonderful movie. How can crap like Hitch and The 40 Year Old Virign make over 100 million and this be a failure?
The 40-Year-Old Virgin is not crap. It's smart, witty, and has more intelligence than half of the overbaked soundtrack that is The Prodcuers. Broad humor and hammy performances aren't everyone's cup of tea. :roll:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Prince Eric wrote:The 40-Year-Old Virgin is not crap. It's smart, witty, and has more intelligence than half of the overbaked soundtrack that is The Prodcuers. Broad humor and hammy performances aren't everyone's cup of tea. :roll:
Hammy? Yes. Broad? Hardly, especially not in comparison to 40-Year-Old Virgin (which I liked and I agree with you in it).

-Aaron
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

AwallaceUNC wrote:
Prince Eric wrote:The 40-Year-Old Virgin is not crap. It's smart, witty, and has more intelligence than half of the overbaked soundtrack that is The Prodcuers. Broad humor and hammy performances aren't everyone's cup of tea. :roll:
Hammy? Yes. Broad? Hardly, especially not in comparison to 40-Year-Old Virgin (which I liked and I agree with you in it).

-Aaron
Nazi and Swedish and gay caricatures = broad humor. :wink:
Loomis
Signature Collection
Location: Sydney, Australia ... where there is no Magic Kingdom :(

Post by Loomis »

I have to admit that I found both films more than a little "meh".

As a fan of the original version of The Producers, it was always going to be challenging to measure up against Zero Mostel and Gene Wilder's terrific performances. Now, I can't fault Broderick and Lane too much, but I didn't think the material was all that hot. The very 'over the top approach' - something that is necessary for a format that breaks into song every few minutes - was hammy on screen. However, my main criticism is that the songs - with the exception of the original 'Springtime for Hitler' and 'Prisoners of Love' - were fairly uninteresting. There was not much humour in the songs, and they were simply descriptive ("We're going here now; "now this is going to happen" etc). The Brooks' wit that is evident in the original songs is absent from the rest of the music, which is a real shame. However, it is still enjoyable.

The 40 Year Old Virgin - which I reviewed here - was fairly predictable as well. With the exception of a few scenes - especially the one where Carell's character reveals he is a virgin at the poker table, and clearly can't keep up with the conversation - the film is fairly dull. Perhaps it is because the 'XXL Version' is the only one available here, but the film just dragged for me. The first half is a predictable 'sex comedy' - Guy Wants Sex; Guy Goes Through Series of Misadventures to Get Sex; Love of His Life Was Under His Nose the Whole Time. I didn't think there was any 'spark'. The film does have some nice comments about who is 'more mature' in the little group, but to quote my own review: "Once you've accepted the basic premise, the film simply goes through the motions of mismatching Steve with a series of women, before we get to see him together with the one person we always knew he should be with." Not very subtle - but perhaps it is when compared with your average American sitcom.
Behind the Panels - Comic book news, reviews and podcast
The Reel Bits - All things film
Twitter - Follow me on Twitter
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Prince Eric wrote:Nazi and Swedish and gay caricatures = broad humor. :wink:
Dirty jokes about sex = broad humor. ;)

-Aaron