Little Shop of Horrors

Discussion of non-Disney entertainment.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Little Shop of Horrors

Post by Jake Lipson »

I saw Little Shop of Horrors performed by my school yesterday night, and loved it to death. For those who don't know, it's a 1982 musical based on a cult horror movie about a man-eating plant. Features music and lyrics by Alan Menken and Howard Ashman, respectively.

Anyone who loved their work on Disney features would do well to see this if they can. The thing is just so darn funny and Alan and Howard's ususal brilliance is on marvelous display, and their wit and wacky humor is of course in check, too. Also, some elements from Disney are very evident here -- since this was written first, they probably carried those concepts over. The whole opening, and especially The Doo-Wap Girls in general, will call to mind Hercules's Muses; "Dentist!" is just such an over-the-top jerk/villian song, it reminds of "Gaston"; Audury's I-want song, "Somewhere That's Green," harkened to "Part of Your World" and "Belle," etc. At least for me anyway.

So, yeah -- if you get a chance to hear/see Little Shop, as a Disney fan you won't be disappointed. It is a tad dark though with the plant devouring cast member after cast member (though generally mockingly so), but take that under advisment if you're going to show this to young kids. Still, a very VERY funny show and very much worth checking out. I want to see the movie and am going to buy a copy of the CD soon (though I have MP3s already.)

Don't feed the plants!
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
snowbot
Gold Classic Collection

Post by snowbot »

yes, i remember seeing this film when it came out when i was a kid. i also remember a quote from alan menken about that audrey song you're referring to- he was talking about how it's a sort of a broadway formula for early on in the show/film to have a character sit on a stump, or walk around alone, etc and sing a song about the life they long for. he said he applied this to little mermaid for 'part of your world' (also see 'belle', 'santa fe', 'just around the riverbend,' 'out there', etc)
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

I was in this play at my school last February. I was the voice of Audry II(the plant.) I used to watch the movie all the time when I was younger. It is my favorite play I have ever been in. It was a lot of fun. The school band isn't very good, so we hired professional musicians and I got to sit in the pit with them so I could sink my voice with the puppeteer's movements. We rented a plant puppet that was amazing. It looked almost identical to the one in the movie. It was only capable of mouth movement, so there weren't any tentacles moving around like in the film. The singing in our show was great because all of the singers where in the school's choir. I am in choir and we get to go to a competition every year. 2 years ago we went to Chicago and came in first. Last year we went to Anaheim and came in second. We are leaving for Atlanta this Wednesday and I hope we do good this year as well. I am white, but have some soul in my voice, which is why I got the part of Audry II. I am a senior and am not majoring in music or theater, so this was probably the last show I will ever do, and I feel like I went out with a bang.
I'm currently watching and reviewing every Disney film in chronological order. You can follow along at my blog, The Disney Films, and also follow me on Twitter.
goofystitch
Collector's Edition

Post by goofystitch »

Oh. I forgot to mention that even if you have seen the movie, you should see the play because it is a lot different. There is no happy ending for the play and there are a lot more songs. The movie version is missing a lot of songs, but has a new one sung by the plant called "Bad" which is my favorite song from the show because I wasn't forced to hear it every weeknight from November to February.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I have the Rick Moranis one on tape (recorded off TV) and loooove it. My friend here has the soundtrack and we listen to it all the time. I've always thought the music was very, very similar to Hercules, and now I know why!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Great Movie

Post by Disney Guru »

Yes that is a great movie one of my favorites.

Very funny to.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

Very, Very good movie.

Little Shop of Horrors is a classic movie.

Love it!!!! :wink:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Original Little Shop of Horrors Ending!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

The Picture is not the best and as was on the old DVD is in Black & White and takes a long time to start up. But I think many want to so this anyway. So here it is but hurry WB will most likely find it and pull it off like every other site that had it.

http://www.youtube.com/w/Little-Shop-of ... tle%20shop
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Maerj as a DVD with the original ending on. :D

I have to say, I prefer the original ending, but that's probably because my first exposure to the musical was the stage-show, and not the film.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Which one again was the "original" ending, again - world domination or happy homemakers? I don't remember Frank Oz really addressing the endings on the commentary track. This movie needs a new DVD release anyway - preferably one with a new documentary with interviews from all the living cast members. And maybe some footage from the musical on stage. ANYTHING! I'm not picky. Just so long as it has both endings somewhere on the disc.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

World domination was the original intended ending, but the test audiences hated it, so the filmmakers filmed the happy homemaker ending that's in the current film. When the DVD came out, Frank put a rough, black and white back-up reel of the original ending as a supplement on the DVD. Someone (I think it was the producer) asked Frank, "Why did you put that on the DVD? I have the actual color footage in my warehouse!" which Frank didn't even know about. The DVD was recalled and the ending was taken away, but it was never replaced with the final color footage the producer(?) had saved. Now the original DVD is going for hefty prices on Ebay, and everyone else (including me) is waiting for a re-issue of this film with the world domination color ending as either a supplement or even an alternate branching feature that can be selected from the menu.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

Disneykid wrote:World domination was the original intended ending, but the test audiences hated it, so the filmmakers filmed the happy homemaker ending that's in the current film. When the DVD came out, Frank put a rough, black and white back-up reel of the original ending as a supplement on the DVD. Someone (I think it was the producer) asked Frank, "Why did you put that on the DVD? I have the actual color footage in my warehouse!" which Frank didn't even know about. The DVD was recalled and the ending was taken away, but it was never replaced with the final color footage the producer(?) had saved. Now the original DVD is going for hefty prices on Ebay, and everyone else (including me) is waiting for a re-issue of this film with the world domination color ending as either a supplement or even an alternate branching feature that can be selected from the menu.
He wanted it in to be put on in color? Nononono. From what I have always herd the producer David Geffen ownd the rights to the alternate ending, and did not give permission for it to be on the DVD. So in February 1998 he had Warner Bros. issue a recall of the DVD.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Oh, well, I'm only repeating what Frank Oz had said in an interview I read, but I guess he just conveniently left off the part where David Geffen wanted money so as not to be as harsh.
creid
Gold Classic Collection

Post by creid »

I hate to be a "dvdjunkie" here but when you say original ending, I assumed you was noting the 1960 Corman classic in which Symour is eaten by the plant and his face comes out of a flower. Now that was a perfect ending.

I believe the stage musical added the stuff about world domination and had an appropriate ending. In terms of the 1986 version, the ending sucks and makes was a "OK" remake and into a medicore one.

Just go see the Little Shop Of Horrors by Corman and most PD copies have decent quality.
creid
(The babysitter bandit)...“stealing the valuable objects it took a family a lifetime to shop for.” – The Simpsons
Maerj
Collector's Edition

Post by Maerj »

2099net wrote:Maerj as a DVD with the original ending on. :D

I have to say, I prefer the original ending, but that's probably because my first exposure to the musical was the stage-show, and not the film.
That's true. Border's Books had them in stock and I'm glad I bought it when I did! I prefer the ending as it is. Not that I have anything against non-happy endings, I just didn't really like how this one was executed. Still, its really cool to see and if you are a fan of this film at all, I would say you should go to that site STAT and take a look!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

when my high school did Little Shop of Horrors we did the original World Domination ending. it was great because i absolutely love the final song in this ending. i think it's called "Don't Feed the Plants". I was Mushnik in the play.