Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:31 am 
Limited Edition

Nala wrote:
Didn't Anastasia hide when her entire family was assasinated. I'm not sure how many daughters the Tsar had. In Nicholas and Alexandra, the entire family was assasinated at the end of the movie.

Many bodies of the assainated members of the family were found, but Anastasia's body was not. Of course, that is not solid proof that she survived, but it does make one wonder.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:34 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

yeah, sadly maybe willl never know if she survived...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:36 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The most memorable story I heard about Anastasia surviving was...

The family was in the house they were being held captive in and were under the assumption they were going home. When some men walked in with guns and just started shooting. Then they piled the bodies onto a truck or horse drawn carriage (forget which) and on the way to the pre-dug burial site, Anastasia came to. She had a flesh wound and apparently had fainted or something. One of the officers felt pity for her and somehow snuck her away. Not impossible, but I do wonder.
No matter what, the whole thing was unfortunate.

I believe the Czar had 4 or 5 daughters. Anastasia was the youngest daughter. But the youngest child was just one son. And he was very sick and frail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:38 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

by the way, is Zar

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 12:42 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Isidour....I know you read the lightbulb thing, but no need to take it to heart ;)

But since we are correcting eachother.....

Quote:
3 entries found for czar.
czar ( P ) Pronunciation Key (zär, tsär)
n.
also tsar or tzar (zär, tsär) A male monarch or emperor, especially one of the emperors who ruled Russia until the revolution of 1917.
A person having great power; an autocrat: “the square-jawed, ruddy complacency of Jack Farrell, the czar of the Fifteenth Street police station” (Ernest Hemingway).
Informal. An appointed official having special powers to regulate or supervise an activity: a racetrack czar; an energy czar.

From dictionary.com

:P :lol: :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 1:53 am 
Limited Edition

When I saw Nicholas And Alexandra, they had the family sit on chairs and were shot at. You could see blood on the walls. I sure can't recall seeing 4 or 5 daughters. I remember 3 for sure and a boy who was lame. We were forced to watch the movie at school as we were studying the Russian Revolution. I was in grade 8 at the time.

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 4:55 am 
Limited Edition

Sunset Girl wrote:
my chicken is infected wrote:
Sunset Girl wrote:
there was that lady that claimed to be her, but forensics proved otherwise (although I wonder how accurate the findings were)

I don't think they were accurate at all, IMO. I still believe Anna Anderson WAS the real Anastasia. She just knew too much private stuff.

Exactly how I feel. Funny how certain people were willing to believe her until they found out they'd have to share their fortune with her.

Oh isn't it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I had a crush on Cinderella wearing the pink dress before it was trashed. I liked Anastasia in the dream waltz dress and the coronation dress before it got wrecked. Why do I always like the characters in dresses that get wrecked?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 12:12 am 
Limited Edition

As for the real Anastasia well I don't believe they all died in that cellar.

Before 1999 I didn't care about the Romanov's at all and was convinced they were dead. Then I started working at a computer refurbisher in an old warehouse in St. Louis. While in that building everything changed. I started thinking about Anastasia and the Romanov's and believing some of them or perhaps all were rescued by time travelers and replaced with clones. No one in our time could tell clones from normal people useless they knew exactly where to look in the DNA which I don't have clue. In my mind Romanov's and time travel go together like bread and butter. My change of view on the subject as mentioned above is not normal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 8:48 am 
Limited Edition

bradhig wrote:
My change of view on the subject as mentioned above is not normal.

Really? ;)

WIST #1 (The pinkrenata Edition) -- Kram Nebuer: *mouth full of Oreos* Why do you have a picture of Bobby Driscoll?

"I'm a nudist!" - Tommy Kirk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:18 pm 
Limited Edition

I didn't change my mind it's like something changed it for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:52 pm 
Limited Edition

Finally got the Bu Ray edition today. Awesome cover art it's like someone read my mind.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:15 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The film celebrates its 20th anniversary this week, so here are several articles about it:

Don Bluth and Gary Goldman’s 'Anastasia' Is 20 Years Old Today

Once Upon a November: Behind the Scenes of 'Anastasia' 20 Years Later

The Cast of 'Anastasia', Then and Now

'Anastasia' Was Originally Much Darker and Eyed Woody Allen for Role

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:42 am 
Platinum Edition

I just watched Anastasia the other night (I was singing "In the Dark of the Night" in the kitchen and figured why not watch it!). While it's always been my favorite non-Disney animated film, and I watch it about once a year, I suddenly understood Rasputin more during this viewing. ...it's like a lightbulb went off. All my life, I didn't like the fact that Rasputin falls apart...it just always bothered me. But I finally *got it* that he's living in limbo, in Purgatory, basically, because he has unfinished business. I just never had realized that piece of the puzzle...

Thanks for all those links, Mooky!! The Cartoon Brew article has a link to the Scad Libraries Don Bluth page- one of the subpages is concept art for Anya's hair...it's funny, and I generally think this when watching to movie, but her hair (is awesome) is more "relatable," achievable than the average animated princesses' hair, IMO...but then she also wears her hair in that low ponytail, or down, and she has almost Ariel-like bangs. #jealous

On that same site, a lot of the Dimitri concept art reminds me of Jack in Newsies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:37 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well, I've pretty much ranted about my opinion of Anastasia, so I know this is just repetition of mine. But here it goes; I do like Anastasia and I completely understand why people regard it being the best non-Disney knock off (since let's face it, guys, it is what it's known for). I do like the songs, animation, characters designs and voice actors. Anastasia/Anya herself is one of the sassiest and snarkiest heroines ever. Yet, what brings this film down, is that it simply is dramatically uneven. The third act becomes a tedious and sappy melodrama and seeing it again, it's other faults have been obvious. Though Rasputin has some moments of genuine menace, he's mostly a whiny manchild through the movie. Even for an animated feature there's more compelling and inventive ways to tell a story about a girl with amnesia. Otherwise I do find some of the comedy grating and juvenile, yet the wisecrack works pretty well.