What Complete Season Set Did You Just Watch?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Season 3 is just better. I'm really hoping it gets on Instant Queue soon as well, since there's a couple of episodes I want to see again.

What did you think of the new characters revealed at the end of season 2, Chris and Ben? I for one think they're great additions to the show, and replacing Mark (easily the weakest "main" character on the show) for them was a good move. Chris adds a bit of energy that's much needed to the cast, while Ben is a good foil towards Leslie, and works well with the rest of the characters.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I'm excited to see what they'll do. I love Rob Lowe after Wayne's World, Tommy Boy (he's just about the only good thing in that movie), and The Spy Who Shagged Me. And you probably know how I feel about Party Down, so I love seeing Adam Scott join the cast. But I'm going to miss Mark. He only got weaker because you know he'll never hook up with Leslie (honestly, I kept thinking when Ann went back to Andy, she'd dump the cop for Mark). They just had to pull them both further apart. Not that it's a very romantic show (in fact, that's something I find though true-to-life kinda strange about the show: anyone could break up at any time).

These are just rambling observations. I like Mark because he's hot and the women are funny but they feel robotic to me. I wasn't crazy about the Justin character if you can believe it, because he felt like the first Mark replacement. But the performers are amazing, so this doesn't really matter. And April has the best balance between human and I-don't-want-to-show-the-slightest-sense-of-vulnerability of the characters. The less I liked Justin, the more I liked Tom. The more I liked Tom, the less I liked Jerry. I still think Ann's inhuman and Donna is amusingly unpredictable.

These aren't new characters. But I'm still on-the-edge waiting for season 3.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Laz, I recently finished Season 2 of Parks and Rec, and am eagerly waiting for Netflix Instant to put up Season 3! I love it, and I think it's much better than 30 Rock, another SNL alum's comedy show.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

It's there now (FINALLY). I'm going to wait on it for awhile but I'm still excited.

I'm up to Season 3 in Frasier. The first two seasons were struggling to find a sense of humor that worked. For example, they built up Frasier and Niles as these two ultra-sophisticated guys and have always had trouble trying to show off their "hounddog" sides. You know? They had the same problem, actually, with the Bulldog character. I don't think these writers are sure they know how to write "typical" straight male behavior. They have the classy stuff down pat, they actually know a thing or two about psychology, and there's a great deal of funny stuff going on. But the show fails desperately at getting really serious, as I mentioned they don't know how to turn one of the classy brothers into a dog, and a lot of the father's reverse snobbery isn't strong. So, the father is the character they need to work on the most.

Season 2... It was funnier, for sure. The "Daphne's Room" episode was a classic. But it also had a couple very serious problems: Daphne has gotten really dumb, and the Cheers guest star thing reached an all-time low with Ted Dansen literally taking over the show. Not to mention it falls victim to corniness a lot of the time.

<center>Image Image</center>
Best thing about the show, both seasons, is easily David Hyde Pierce. He's quicker than anyone else, he goes all-out physically, he fooled me for the show's entire run into thinking he was actually straight, and he's absolutely adorable. Although he definitely has competition as of season 3- Mercedes Ruehl. I really look forward to seeing more of her in episodes to come. Let's hope they're smart enough to make her a big part of the season. 2 episodes in so far and it's a greatly improved season so far but they're also using Daphne and the father a lot less.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I thought I'd revive this.

Game of Thrones: (Blu-Ray) Season 1

Disc 1
Winter is Coming (I actually watched this episode off the sample disc I got at Best Buy)
The Kingsroad

I'm watching this while I read the first book (I am farther than I was the first time I tried reading it).
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The Adventures of Brisco County Jr. - The Complete Series

Another one of the shows Fox couldn't come up with a steady night for it run. Starring Bruce Campbell and Wonder Horse Comet, this series is very funny and has a lot of Sci-Fi touches in most of the episodes. I can't believe that Amazon has this priced so high still.

I was on my CD Tradepost wishlist ever since it came out, and about three or four weeks ago, I get a call that "Brisco County" is here. Amazon new price is still above $70 and used I picked it up for $25.99
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
DisneyMatt89

Post by DisneyMatt89 »

Finishing up Survivor: Vanuatu right now. Not one of the seasons that I have very fond memories of, I liked it much more this go-around.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

I am almost done with Season one of Game of Thrones I just have one episode left before the second season starts on April 1st. The show has been mostly enjoyable, if a little overly violent at times. I also get a little confused trying to figure out which character is who (some have the same hair cut), It has been mostly true to the book from what I saw.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I am almost done with Season one of Game of Thrones I just have one episode left before the second season starts on April 1st. The show has been mostly enjoyable, if a little overly violent at times. I also get a little confused trying to figure out which character is who (some have the same hair cut), It has been mostly true to the book from what I saw.
I finished the first season this weekend and I absolutely loved it! It could possibly have too much sex and violence, but it's an HBO show, so having that is kind of a given. I'm really looking forward to the next season and I hope it'll be as good as the first.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Just finished Will & Grace Season 2 (1999-2000)
Karen Walker (Megan Mullally) never fails to make me laugh!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

The first 4 series/seasons of Are You Being Served? A show I always looked forward the most to during the Vermont and New Hampshire Britcom nights on PBS. Which I haven't tuned it for in at least 3 years now. So, now that I have the option to see all of it... I have a few little "I didn't know this is what I was signing up for" qualms. I don't know how many episodes I saw years ago but I didn't know it was such a war-of-the-sexes show. I knew it was quirky, the characters were dopey but likable, and I sensed that the Mr. Lucas and Mr. Humphrey characters had a great brother-like chemistry that made me immediately like them. Now of course I see that was intentional and it's fairly groundbreaking considering the homophobia the show reminds us was very common in the attitudes of the working class. But, here's what I don't remember: Mr. Lucas's constant barrage of insults at Mrs. Slocombe. Why? No reason. She didn't do anything to him, he's just a jerk who likes to get under her skin. All the time. And after nearly 3 seasons of this (it really seems to have started toward the end of series 2), I'm really wishing she would beat the crap out of him already. Or someone else would, at least. I've always liked her and I want to keep liking him but he is SUCH a jerk.

So, at this point in the series, Mr. Lucas has gone down in flames, Ms. Braums is still not an interesting character in the slightest, and the show is mostly running on 'old reliable' jokes that I'm not finding very funny. There are a few exceptions. The Christmas episode featuring the nude Santa had the funniest joke I've seen so far. And as for the characters, I'm finally starting to enjoy Mr. Grainger. In fact, he's been the funniest thing about the show during the 4th series/season and his character's rivalry with Mrs. Slocombe actually leads to something- unlike Mr. Lucas. And credit strong performances for keeping the show afloat, especially Mollie Sugden, Frank Thornton, and John Inman.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I can't remember exactly what I've watched since I last posted, but I think I've watched:

True Blood (Seasons 1, 3 and 4)
Oz (Seasons 1 and 2)
Wilfred (Season 1)
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

I've just finished
Drop Dead Diva - Season 2 and Glee - Season 1
and the entire series of Battlestar Galactica, which I surprisingly liked actually.

I'm now staring 24 - Season 8, which I haven't seen yet and re-watching Ugly Betty

Great to have a few weeks off! :D
Special Edition

Post by 271286 »

Recently finished Game of Thrones season 1+2: OH MY GOD! I can't wait for next season... Spring seems SO far away!

Just finished The Walking Dead Season 1: I love this show... It has a kind of Lost suspense to it...