What Complete Season Set Did You Just Watch?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Taleeya

Popular - Seasons 1 & 2

Post by Taleeya »

Its really too bad they didn't get a proper send-off for this show. It ended on such a cliffhanger!
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I recently finished One Tree Hill: The Complete First Season, and in just a matter of weeks. I had always been interested in it, but never taken the time to watch it on TV. When I saw it for $5.99 at Target, I thought I'd give it a try.

The first few episodes were fairly average. There was just barely enough appeal in the early episodes for me to give the next a try. Somewhere around disc 2, though, things really started to improve. A few episodes later, I was hooked.

Of course it shouldn't take much. After all- it takes place in my home state and regularly involves my school, as well as other things in NC that I'm familiar with. And Minkus, of <i>Boy Meets World/Torkelsons</i> fame, is part of the cast! What more could you ask for?

But there is more. It's a great drama series. At times it panders to the teen demographic a little too much- more so than <i>Everwood</i> and maybe even <i>The O.C.</i> (2 series that the WB apparently sees as <i>OTH</i> sisters). That's obvious by the lack of adult characters on the packaging. Adults do feature heavily in the series, though, and that often tends to be what elevates teen-targeted shows from the insipid. And talk about suspense... they hit the mark in making the audience care about the characters, making for tension that's almost unbearable at parts. I also love all the literary allusions made throughout.

I've managed to pass the disc around and get many friends addicted to it too. The goal is to have everyone ready to watch Season 2 when it comes out this Tuesday, so that we can finish it in time to be caught up for Season 3's October debut on TV. (Why don't all new shows schedule their releases like this? It's perfect).

Normally I wouldn't post a season set as being completed by myself until I'd exhausted all the bonus features as well as the episodes. I'm making an exception here, the reason being that bonus features on TV series can often times give away things about subsequent seasons, so until I am completely caught up with the rest of the world, I'm not taking any risks. I'll watch the bonus features for Seasons 1 & 2 in a few weeks.

One Tree Hill = highly recommended!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Didn't complete it yet, but started watching Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Season One (say THAT three times fast!).

God, I remember watching this show when it first came on. IIRC, every Sunday at 8 on ABC, we'd all gather to watch this.

Watching the pilot and second (though technically 3rd syndication-wise) episode was so nostalgic. Though I don't remember much from the first season, given I was 8 when it was on, I forgot about Cat (Tracy Scoggins, I remember her last episode, where they killed her off) and the original Jimmy (Michael Landes, who they should've kept instead of Justin Whalen).

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Escapay wrote:Didn't complete it yet, but started watching Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman, Season One (say THAT three times fast!).
I, too, watched this show religiously- often with my family- when it was in its first run, and for a long time in syndication. Still, it seems like it has been a long time since I've seen any episodes. The Season 1 set is high on my wish list!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Twitter - @aaronspod
memnv
Collector's Edition

Post by memnv »

I plan to watch Smallville Season 4 this week, I will pick it up Tuesday
Dark Knight Rulez
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

Just about completed Rocky and Bullwinkle and Friends: The Complete Season 3 - Only one more disc to go.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I just finished up Five Mile Creek: The Complete First Season this evening (review to come soon). A while ago, I finished One Tree Hill: The Complete Second Season, which was a birthday gift. The show kept on truckin' right into a strong second season and was, as with the first season, loaded down with extras. I didn't like the choice of episodes for commentary tracks as much as I did with season one, nor the choice of commentators, but they were still interesting. They really go out for this series, but then WB makes good box sets in general. Season 2's episodes came in widescreen, which makes me fear that Season 1 was filmed that way too, yet the DVD for that season is presented in fullscreen.

I also finished Third Rock from the Sun: The Complete First Season a few weeks ago. This is one of the funniest shows and I'm really happy to own the DVD (and I got it for $5.99!). The bonus features were decent, though they (along with the packaging) were more relevant for future seasons, not the first one. At any rate, I can't wait to get Season 2 and those 3D glasses. :D

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

Just finished Season One of The Golden Girls now I am moving onto Season Two. Getting ready for Season Three. 8)
- Jonathan
davina
Gold Classic Collection

Post by davina »

We just finished Angel season 5. I think we are going to start That '70s Show season 1 next. It's time for some comedy.
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman: Season 1
- Jonathan
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

Over the last few weeks:

The Muppet Show: Season 1
Open all Hours: Series 3
Huckleberry Hound Volume 1
Keeping Up Appearances: Series 5
The Yogi Bear Show: The Complete Series

and I am halfway through The Flintstones: Season 4.
Tom in North Carolina
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Tom in North Carolina »

Desperate Housewives-Season 1
Scrubs-Season 2
Arrested Development-Season 2
Muppet Show-Season 1
Seinfeld-Season 5 and 6

Tom
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just finished with Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - Season One and can't wait for Season Two. This was a really well written series and it is too bad that it only lasted as long as it did. They could have done some great "Smallville" tie-ins these past years.

Also just finished with Silk Stalkings - Season Three one of my favorite 'cop' shows. I used to watch this show religiously, fourth and final season is coming in January.

In the middle of watching Five Mile Creek - Season One and Home Improvement - Season Three. We watch episodes of these shows alternately while watching our new movie releases.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
Disneybell
Banned Deadbeat

Post by Disneybell »

I m in the middle of watching that 70s show season 3 its really funny :) i got it on the after thanskgving sale for seventeen bucks i figured it was wortha watch since i have seen a few episodes on tv i m only going to watch the show episodes taht still have ashton kutcher and topher grace when they leave i wont get those seasons its just not the same show without them ya know?
magicalwands
Collector's Edition

Post by magicalwands »

I finally finished all of The Simpsons Sixth Season. It was worth $17; I haven't seen any of these episodes till now. :D
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Friends: The Complete 10th (and final) Season - I'm so happy to own all the "Friends" sets now and rewatching them all on DVD was as much fun as watching them in their original network runs for a decade. The close of the final season was an emotional one and that was true again on this season set. The show was still very strong and very funny when it ended but I agree that it was best to end it before it began to fall off. I love it when TV shows get to end on their own terms. I was also happy that they made up for the shorter episode order in this season with some quality extra features. These sets have always had some of the best audio commentary tracks of any TV set... I just wish the cast could have been part of them at least once, but I realize that we're talking about some of the highest-paid actors in Hollywood here. To that end, the interviews included in the farewell featurette were really nice. I still miss this show. :(

Also Five Mile Creek: The Complete First Season, The Golden Girls: The Complete Third Season, Walt Disney Treasures: The Chronological Donald Volume Two, and Extreme Makeover: The Most Inspiring & Unforgettable Makeovers From Season 1, all of which I've either reviewed or am reviewing for the site, so you can read a more detailed account of my thoughts on those there if you haven't already.

-Aaron
• Twitter - @aaronspod
blaing
Special Edition

Post by blaing »

The Munsters: The Complete 1st Season.

I intend to buy the second season shortly.
Zoltack
Collector's Edition

Post by Zoltack »

I finished watching season 6 of The Simpsons. They had a lot of hilarious episodes like the Stone Cutters and when Marge becomes a police officer... priceless.
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

The Simpsons Season Seven and Family Guy Volume Three.
- Jonathan
DaveWadding
Collector's Edition

Post by DaveWadding »

Finished Simpsons: Season 7 a couple nights ago.