What Complete Season Set Did You Just Watch?

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I watched all 6 episodes of Asylum, with Simon Pegg (and others who went on to do Spaced).

My brain hurts! :P
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Finished watching the Fourth Season of Dexter, brilliantly portrayed by Michael C. Hall. This season it was John Lithgow as the baddie, and was really one of the best seasons so far. Looking forward to Season Five on Showtime.

:D
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Me and my wife are starting to watch the complete "MacGyver" on DVD.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Watched the 3rd season (series) of Chef! again. First time in almost a year... or maybe it was 8 months. Something like that. Had very bad memories of it, just how inferior than the first 2 seasons it was. It was actually a lot better overall than I remember it. They still failed big time with the Savannah character- bad American cliches and the actress has the worst accent, it sounds fake as hell (but I think I read she is American- hard luck). One of the male customers in the "Lessons in Talking" episode was doing the same thing and there's no question that he is British doing American (and failing badly). Huuuuge mouth open wide, every word over-pronounced and drawn out. They actually improved on Gustav a bit I think (at least, since episode 5 from the 2nd season/series), but took a dive on Gareth (especially in the 2nd episode, the weakest of the 6), Janice (she's just terrible in the last episode), and Everton. Renee is the best of the added characters, Rochelle was a good touch, and Cyril I feel too bad for in the last episode but he's written very well, even though he's a little too pitiful most of the time. The actor really nails him. The best episode is either 3, "Lessons in Talking," or 5, "Rochelle." The 2nd episode is practically a mess.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles: The Complete Second Season
The Tower is Tall but the Fall is Short
Brothers of Nablus
Mr Ferguson is Ill Today

The Simpsons: the Complete Eighth Season
You Only Move Twice

The Big Bang Theory: the Complete Third Season
The Gorilla Experiment
The Spaghetti Catalyst
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

finished SMALLVILLE SEASON 9 in time for season ten.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

ajmrowland wrote:finished SMALLVILLE SEASON 9 in time for season ten.
As someone who sounds "up" on knowledge of the series, can you tell me if the 10th is going to finish it? I've got seasons 1-8, I was watching in the beginning, but I figure I will just watch all of them in order once it's finished.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I just watched all 10 seasons of Are You Being Served? (as well as the 2 seasons of Grace & Favour, or Are You Being Served Again?)

I've almost finished season 1 of Kung Fu - I got sidetracked for a while...

I also got sidetracked on The Monkees season 2.

I started season1 of Space Battleship Yamato (Star Blazers.) I'll have to chck and see where I left off on that.

I'm also watching the Best of Monty Python (1 disc for each member, + The Second Best of MP.)
supertalies
Special Edition

Post by supertalies »

littlefuzzy wrote:
ajmrowland wrote:finished SMALLVILLE SEASON 9 in time for season ten.
As someone who sounds "up" on knowledge of the series, can you tell me if the 10th is going to finish it? I've got seasons 1-8, I was watching in the beginning, but I figure I will just watch all of them in order once it's finished.
Yes, season 10 will be the last one. :)
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

I've been busy...

Post by carolinakid »

Petticoat Junction Season One (1963-1964)
Here's Lucy Season One (1968-1969)
The Lucy Show Season One (1962-1963)
I Love Lucy Season One (1951-1952)
Will and Grace Season One (1998-1999)
Gilligan's Island Season One (1964-1965)
Dynasty Season One (1981)
Sex and the City Season One (1998)
The Partridge Family Season One (1970-1971)
The Sopranos Season One (1999)
Queer As Folk Season One (2000-2001)
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I wrapped up Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1, and started on 2.
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I finished Star Trek: TNG seasons 2, 3, and 4 and started on 5.
Phil Johnson

Post by Phil Johnson »

I just finished Freaks and Geeks (the one and only season). Such a shame that show didn't last longer. Fantastic writing and character development. The extras were nothing to write home about.

Getting started on Deadwood season 3 now. :)
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

I finished Season 6 of Star Trek: The Next Generation (of course, I watched 5 before that.)
MJW
Special Edition

Post by MJW »

I'm watching Seinfeld season 6 for the 3rd or 4th time (not in a row, lol). It is my all-time favorite show and (so far) hasn't gotten old!

I own seasons 1 & 2, 3, 6, and am getting season 8 for Christmas! :)
"If it's not Baroque, don't fix it!" - Cogsworth | My Blu-ray collection | My Studio Ghibli blog
RIPJoeRanft
Gold Classic Collection

Post by RIPJoeRanft »

Just watched the first (and only) two seasons of the Starz original comedy Party Down, starring Adam Scott, Ken Marino, Lizzy Kaplan, Martin Starr, and Ryan Hansen. (the terrific Jane Lynch played a main character in the first 8 episodes, but left due to beginning production on Glee. She was replaced by a different character played by Will and Grace star Megan Mullally in the second season.)

Anyway, Party Down is a terrific, often hilarious show about a restaraunt catering company in LA and I highly recommend it to everybody. It kind of uses that frantically awkward humor style played up by many of the top sitcoms of the past decade such as Arrested Development and The Office, although it definitely has its own flavor and is more episodic without The Office/Modern Family style of "interviewing" the characters separately (which sometimes slows down those shows and their stories). Thankfully no laugh track, and every episode is the crew hosting a different, equally wonderful party (such as an NFL draft party, an orgy, Young Republicans convention, sweet sixteen, etc.) that they have to cater.

Marino in particular is fantastic as the boss of Party Down Catering (poor schmuck's got the BIG dreams of someday opening a "Soup R' Crackers" franchise), and you feel for the guy, and quickly love him as well, but can't help laugh uncontrollably as things always seem to go wrong. Scott is the company's new bartender, a washed-up has-been actor, who was type-cast due to his old infamous beer commercial slogan ("Are We Having Fun Yet?!) that peaked in popularity long ago and effectively ruined his once-promising career. His relationship with Caplan, a sassy, cute co-worker and struggling comedian, is a highlight. Starr is a miserable hack of a sci-fi writer, pompous and dumber than he thinks he is; Hansen is a pretty-boy blonde, not much brains but great with the ladies, a genuine nice guy, and loves going after Starr's character in an endearing Jim Halpert/Dwight Schrute kind of way. Starr and Hansen play off each other extremely well.

There are some hysterical and/or very clever guest turns by the likes of J.K. Simmons, Kristen Bell, Ken Jeong, Steve Guttenberg, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, Joey Lauren Adams, Jennifer Coolidge, Steven Weber, Rob Corddry, Rick Fox, Kevin Hart, Ed Begley Jr., etc. You can tell that these actors really rise up for the superb writing of this show.

And The Wonder Years star Fred Savage directs 9 of the series' 20 episodes, many of which are my favorite ones. Hope I convinced you guys to check it out because I don't think it got the recognition it deserves.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

It's a little too crude too often, and so it feels like it's in competition with itself. And the more it seeks to push its' own envelope, the more it gets a little too creepy and too disturbing (the cafeteria scene in "A Burden's Burden" is a chief example). Also, a few of the scenes are completely irrelevant (this is most likely not any kind of problem in the 2nd season). A conversation between Jerri and Mr. Jellineck (following Colbert's towel moment) in "Who Wants Cake?" comes off as particularly unpleasant. But the show was still finding its' footing. And while it has the most problematic material of the first 2 seasons, it also scores the biggest laughs (especially the opening 10-15 minutes of "A Burden's Burden" and Deborah Rush's drunken rampage in "Dreams on the Rocks"). Some of the best satire I've ever seen, an essential comedy TV show to check out, and endlessly quotable.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Just finished with Hunter - The Complete Series - that's all four and a half seasons worth of viewing. Fred Dryer did the perfect imitation of Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry in this show. Lots of fun. Will probably watch it again at a different pace.

Also finished watching Army Wives - Season Four, which is probably the best written show on television right now. All the actors fit the characters they play, and you become part of the show while you are watching. Catherine Bell, Kim Delaney are standouts in this Mark Gordon produced show from Buena Vista Home Entertainment.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

I've been watching Nip/Tuck for this past week and half. I finished Season One a few days ago and now I'm almost finished with Season Two. It's certainly an interesting show and I can't wait to finish it, even though I've heard it kind of gets worse after awhile.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
toonaspie
Anniversary Edition

Post by toonaspie »

The Simpsons Season 13 w/ commentaries