UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Man, I feel bad that I read the Ultimate Disney reviews but never comment on them, especially since I am BFFs with one of the reviewers (wink wink ;) ).

I really enjoy while objective they are without going into subjective and unnecessary tangents. It's a belief we carry on the site that I work for and it always gets great results.

They also help me in giving movies I otherwise would have ignored a chance. Heck, I am curious about Glee after reading Kelvin's review of it.
ImageImageImageImage

TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

That was quite a spectacular review of Beauty and the Beast, Aaron! It is definitely a must-own title, and I greatly appreciate how long it must have taken you to view the film/bonus material and review everything. It's quite a collection and I will definitely purchase it. Wonderful job, Aaron!
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

:clap:

Though I already gave my praise in an e-mail, I just want to say again that Aaron wrote a great review. Job well done, Mr. Wallace!

My prediction was right: the UD review is the most thorough assessment of the Beauty and the Beast Blu-Ray, as it is a very well-written and balanced examination of ALL aspects of the product: the film in question, the technical presentation, the supplements, and whether or not a consumer should get it.

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

albert

ETA: Just realized this was post #11,100. What a great post to make for #11,100!
Last edited by Escapay on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

Oh yes, that review was epic. It convinced me that the new set is amazing, color issues be damned. Seriously, the screenshots alone convinced me that the set is going to be spectacular!

Now if only I had a PS3... :p
ImageImageImageImage

AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Escapay wrote::clap:

Though I already gave my praise in an e-mail, I just want to say again that Aaron wrote a great review. Job well done, Mr. Wallace!
:o Is this a new email to me? I don't think I got it!

Thanks for the kind words, everybody! Great to see some positive reactions so soon after the review posted!

(Oh, and Amy -- sorry! I thought about you when the Camp Rock 2 review was published and cringed a little with guilt, realizing you wouldn't like what I had to say. :P Hopefully the Beauty and the Beast review is more to your liking.)

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

AwallaceUNC wrote:
Escapay wrote::clap:

:o Is this a new email to me? I don't think I got it!
Whoops! I meant the earlier e-mail I sent to you a few days ago where I said "In advance, let me just say that you did a wonderful job on the entire review (even though I haven't even read it yet, but I know it will be well-written and researched). All your hard work is appreciated, and I'm glad that such a high-profile title was given such an in-depth look."

Of course, those words still hold true after I actually read the review. ;)

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Ah ok! :thumb:
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Timon/Pumbaa fan
Platinum Edition

Post by Timon/Pumbaa fan »

Nice review Aaron!

What I liked about your reviews even above some of the others here is that is clearly lists in specifics all of the bonus material we're missing, even going as far as including the laser-disc features that still haven't made it on DVD! It saves us from extra research.

I'm definitely going to upgrade my VHS to Blu-Ray this Tuesday! :up:
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Aaron, the BATB review was wonderfully comprehensive and somehow has made me even more excited for the Blu-Ray's release!
zackisthewalrus
Anniversary Edition

Post by zackisthewalrus »

Love love LOVED the review of "Beauty and the Beast". Wonderful! :float: :D :clap: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :clap: :clap: :eye:
"No day but today."
My YouTube Channel
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

I noticed two flaws in the new "Penguins" DVD review.

1.The show debuted about three weeks after the DVD/blu-ray debut of Madagascar 2, rather than the Theatrical run. I think

2. Definitely, the CGI catalogue is not nine years old, but 12. ANTZ came out in 98 around the time of a Bug's Life.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

1. The regular run began after video, but the "sneak peek" premiere aired in November 2008.

2. Thanks. You're right. My mind rewrote history to make <i>Shrek</i> "the one that started it all." Fixing it now...

Appreciate the feedback and corrections.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Luke wrote:My mind rewrote history to make <i>Shrek</i> "the one that started it all."
I shudder at such a thought...

:P

albert
WIST #60:

WIST #61:
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Since I ordered Hocus Pocus, I've been surfing for YouTube clips and thought- I'd like to check out UD's review (the purple and black thing may be stylish, but it hurts my eyes to try and read) - easily locatable here: http://www.ultimatedisney.com/hocuspocus.html . Just wanted to say a few things.

It's certainly a surprise to find out the film was shot in sequence and that Leonardo DiCaprio was considered for the role of Max... Um... didn't anyone making the movie stop to think that he would look almost identical to the actor playing the human Thackery Binx? I've always had a theory about kids' TV shows in the new millennium, that they always try to hire actors who look exactly alike. Especially male actors. For example, if you can tell the difference between the heroine's love interests in ABC's Wildfire- you deserve a prize.

But, one line in the review really stuck out to me; "Rounding out the sisterhood is the seductive Sarah, played by Sarah Jessica Parker, before her career took off with another, more salacious but less respectable role."

Something like that could surely be taken any number of ways. I assume we're talking about Sex and the City, a show which many adults find shallow and petty. And those are surely bigger fish to fry than any alleged "salacious" quality a person feels the role might have. The show was made for adults. But- does the reviewer of Hocus Pocus bother to make note of this? No. Instead, they glibly toss it off as "less respectable." And clearly, this is debatable. Less respectable... to whom, exactly? She's been celebrated and acclaimed the world over for her role in the show, which was a huge hit, and many people find to be ground-breaking. I didn't watch the show very much, but regardless of that; I am an adult and don't appreciate when a reviewer is passing off some personal hang-up as a credible opinion.

Naturally, the reviewer in question was Aaron.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Luke and Kelvin,
Thanks for the Oceans review. However, it wasn't clear on one thing. The DVD that comes in the Blu/DVD combo, is it exactly the same as the standalone DVD?

And the same question for Crimson Wing; same DVD in the combo as the standalone DVD?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Barbossa wrote:Luke and Kelvin,
Thanks for the Oceans review. However, it wasn't clear on one thing. The DVD that comes in the Blu/DVD combo, is it exactly the same as the standalone DVD?

And the same question for Crimson Wing; same DVD in the combo as the standalone DVD?
Yes, as far as I know, that is true for <i>Oceans</i>, <i>Crimson Wing</i>, and every other Disney combo pack so far (except for 2-disc DVDs, then they only include the first disc).
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Luke wrote:
Barbossa wrote:Luke and Kelvin,

Yes, as far as I know, that is true for <i>Oceans</i>, <i>Crimson Wing</i>, and every other Disney combo pack so far (except for 2-disc DVDs, then they only include the first disc).
Right on. Thanks Luke 8) . I remember last year I had the same dilemma with earth because it wasn't clear on the case and slipcover. It just said "DVD of the film", yet it did provide the few little extras - unlike say Beauty and the Beast or Snow White where it truly is just the DVD of the film with no extras.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

The Toy Story 3 Blu-ray/DVD review was wonderful, Luke and Kelvin! I only read the video/audio and bonus features, though, considering that I still haven't seen the film. Though from what I've read in the review and what I've heard about how great it is, I'll definitely be getting TS3 when it coomes out next week. Great job guys! :D
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:The Toy Story 3 Blu-ray/DVD review was wonderful, Luke and Kelvin! I only read the video/audio and bonus features, though, considering that I still haven't seen the film. Though from what I've read in the review and what I've heard about how great it is, I'll definitely be getting TS3 when it coomes out next week. Great job guys! :D
Thank you! Although I think you might have been more likely to encounter inevitable spoilers in the Bonus Features section than the movie part. :o
SmartAleck25
Special Edition

Post by SmartAleck25 »

That was an AMAZING TS3 review, Luke and Kelvin. I know I'm definitely getting the Blu-ray now, everything sounds great!