UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Good review on Fat Kid Rules the World! I've actually read the book a couple of times, but had no idea that it was adapted into a film. Considering how minor its release was, I can see why this is news to me.

It looks like a solid adaptation, though. I might have to check it out soon.
PeterPanfan
Diamond Edition

Post by PeterPanfan »

Luke, just wanted to say how much I enjoyed reading your recent Oscar reviews/articles. Very well thought out, and I agree with most of your opinions. It will be interesting to see how our pics fare tonight! :)
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Re: UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Threa

Post by Avaitor »

Great Badlands review! IThis is one of my personal favorites, and I'm glad to see you do it justice.

I can't wait to pick up Criterion's release.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Hi Luke!

I have to strongly disagree with your "A Monster in Paris" review. I found the film a breath of fresh air and full of engaging characters. The whole film was filled with an innocent, heart-felt naivety missing from most children's films these days (live-action or animated) including Pixar. Yes... this film connected with me emotionally better than any of Pixar's recent films, including Toy Story 3 (which, "cheats" slightly - most of the emotional attachment from the scenes on the conveyor belt or Andy saying goodbye as he gives away his toys depends upon the long-term investment and relationship the audience has with the characters over three films and even subsequent marketing merchandise).

Yes the animation is poorer quality. But as you point out yourself, non-American films don't being in the cash. You can hardly expect them to splash out the cash either.

Oh, and "La Seine" is my favourite song written especially for a film for many a year. Shame it wasn't eligable/the makers couldn't be bothered to enter it (delete as applicable) for best original song Oscar.
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
DC Fan
Anniversary Edition

Post by DC Fan »

Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

In regards to the review of season 8 of Sunny in Philly, the gang have recently reported that the 10th season, which is when their current contract ends, will be their last. As someone who still enjoys the show but found last season to be a bit over-familiar, I'm saddened, but do think that it might be for the best.

As for the show's recent move to FX's new channel, well based on what I read, the premiere opened to about .5 mill viewers. Not a good sign at all. I'd be surprised if the ratings don't go up as more people adapt to the new network, but they probably did pick a good time to end the show after all.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Sorry Luke, but "Peter Pan in Return to Never Land" rocks!

It rocks! And it is better than Peter Pan.

So there. :twisted:
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Thumbs up to your Nashville and Anchorman reviews, Luke! Both films couldn't be more different, but I highly enjoy both and I'm glad to see you do them justice. :up:
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Great year end ranking, Luke. I still like Despicable Me 2 and The Croods though. Man of Steel is worse. And Now You See Me is par. Good job still.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Another awesome review with Ninja II! I've been hearing awesome things about this one for a while, and now that I see that it's on Netflix, I'll definitely check it out. You do make it sound sweet.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Heads up, Luke- "Young and Beautiful" is a Lana Del Ray song, not Adele. :P
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Guys, do you think Luke's review of Spirit was justified in its arguments, or too harsh?
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Luke, I can't tell if you liked the Into the Woods show or not. Can you please say how you feel about it?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Your Cinderella review was not too offending but you say it had no angle or anything new when I would say a deepening of the characters and drama is an angle and newness it has. And they were probably trying to make the, or a, perfect version. And no, it's not only people who like fairy tales or Cinderella's story, but people who want to see a good movie, who would also enjoy it.

And the film definitely should exist, because it is a good movie, one of the best versions of Cinderella to ever be made, if not the best (after the Disney animated version, or even better than that). That is good reason for its existence.

But I am glad that now in your Into the Woods Blu-ray review you reveal more how you feel about the film. I guess, that you just find it entertaining? But you also liked the original Broadway version because of its charm and irony?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I just saw Mad Max: Fury Road. Mt friend and forum member Super Aurora thought it was great. But me...I just thought it was a bunch of great special effects and action in a boring setting of a desert. So, in other words, I agreed a lot with your review. Good review. It is truly puzzling how the movie got such positive reviews.

I also enjoyed how in the Disney Descendants review, you said we could guess the way the villains had offspring was like how gremlins popped out spawn when in contact with water! That was hilarious!
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Oct 18, 2015 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I saw Pan today and your review was a good one for the film. I didn't think it was as bad as you said, though, and Peter does sort of find what he wanted on his quest, which was somewhat emotional to me.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I'm surprised you thought Cinderella would be considered a comedy or musical. I actually find it to be a drama. But now that the nominations come out, I don't know how Mad Max: Fury Road got considered a drama and then got nominated! It has like no story! Cinderella is way better than Mad Max: Fury Road! When I watched Mad Max at the end I was like...so...what happened? What did they achieve?! What were the backstories? Who WERE any of these characters and why were they doing what they were doing?! Oh well, I guess dark and gritty is considered better, or just more grown up, or serious, than fantasy? And I would really consider Mad Max: Fury Road to be sci-fi, almost the same as fantasy, so I don't get it's place in drama that Cinderella wouldn't also have.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I read most of the Snow White Walt Disney Signature review, and wow Luke, I'm so surprised by your opinion of the film itself. You think it's that inferior to Fantasia and Pinocchio and the future Disney fairy tale films? Snow White is a masterpiece. And you think Cinderella is so inferior to the rest of the Disney films, I thought you'd rave about Snow White. And speaking of Cinderella, do you really think it's the slightest of Disney's early classics? How early? What's the cut off?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I must admit I did like the humor in the review like "enough to make a gender studies major squirm", lol.

I also recently saw The Walk and loved it. I'm glad you liked it, too, and found it gripping. I found it very gripping, too.

I also saw It Follows and agree with you it is a very good film. But when I showed it to my two friends, they didn't really like it. Ah, what do they know? :P
BrandonH
Special Edition

Post by BrandonH »

For The Force Awakens:

The packaging for the three discs can be either a hinge holding one of the discs or no hinge with the two Blu-rays stacked directly on top of each other on the right side of the case. I got the latter at Target.
"Mustard? Don't let's be silly!"
--Mad Hatter, Alice in Wonderland

My DVDs