UltimateDisney.com/DVDizzy.com Reviews: Discussion Thread

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
PR Fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PR Fan »

Luke good review there, also I am a Pooh fan but have only seen This one Sometime ago and the 3 Classics shorts, are The Piglet Movie, Tigger Movie and Luffy one good compared to this. Also i've always wanted to respond to one of your posts the one on Saturday regarding the behind Reviews i would say go with the newer ones first and hopefully for my sake do SPD volume 5 right before MF volume 1.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

Luke wrote:Pasta, I'm guessing that you were watching the VHS on a regular TV, right? In that case, if it feels zoomed in on all four sides, that's probably due to overscan.
Oh, whoops. Yeah, I was watching it on a 4x3; that's probably the reason. :oops:

That aside, great review! The waiting paid off, that's for sure. It's obvious a lot of work and research went into it. The constant black fadeouts in the movie annoyed me as well; it probably would've been easier to just make the movie in the same fashion as Many Adventures with the storybook approach. I also agree with you on the dumbing down of Pooh that's been going on lately, and I'm glad this movie was made before that time came.

By the way, I get what you're saying when you wrote that the whole 100 Acre Wood gang doesn't get together nearly as much as they should, and that Owl, Christopher Robin, and especially Gopher need some screentime, but I can't tell you how happy I am that Kanga & Roo don't appear in this movie; I've seen enough of them to last me a lifetime.

Anwhow, P'sGA:TSfCR is my favorite Pooh film at the moment, and I'm glad it was given good DVD treatment. Great review; I'd give you dancing elephants, but I'd have to sign way too many forms to get the rights to use them from Escapay, so I'll just give you three Poohs.

:pooh: :pooh: :pooh:

If you shake the computer screen, it looks like they're dancing!
- John
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks a lot for the clearly well-thought out feedback, John! Getting the Poohs to dance isn't too hard with this laptop, too! :D
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

I've finished reading <i>Luke's Grand Review</i> and <i>The Greatest Review Ever Written</i> and both get :up:s from me. :P PGA sounds like something I definitely want to check out after revisiting some other Pooh items and I'm pleased that the video quality is so commendable, at least for the first half, and still not too bad afterwards. As for TGGEP, I like SLB and the trailers looked promising, but going by the review, I think this will be a rental or discounted buy for me, and probably not anytime soon. Thanks for the reviews, Luke! Given the monopoly on dancing elephants and Poohs and the lack of dancing Shia Labeoufs, I will issue a dancing Amy Grant:

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I'm not sure how I missed it for four days, but thanks for the kind words and dancing Amy, Aaron. Review writing definitely has its perks! :D
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
PR Fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PR Fan »

After quickly skimming through The Under the Umbrella tree review Luke i'm not going to get it but it sounds like a good enough show, yet one that i must have missed on the 80's disney channel. Also i must say whenever you get to SPD can i do Ranger Smilies since obviously since PR is one of Disney's newest acquired shows(it was acquired somewhere during the Summer or so of 02) i need to bust out The Smilies. Thinks to Self would Jack, Sky, Bridge, Z, Syd, Sam or DC be best.

Also looking at the list did you review SPD volume 2 Stakeout i think or was it Idol or Sam i think, yet you seemed to edit it out.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

PR Fan wrote:Also looking at the list did you review SPD volume 2 Stakeout i think or was it Idol or Sam i think, yet you seemed to edit it out.
No, the reviewer who was assigned Volume 2 hasn't responded, so I'm assuming it won't be done in time for our "S.P.D." Roundup, which I'm hoping to get up within the next day or two.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

Didn't get to Under the Umbrella Tree yet, but boy was Power Rangers SPD a joy to read! Now then, minions!!!

(The elephants are sitting around holding signs. One of them reads "UNION", another one reads "COMMANDER IN CHIEF, THURSDAYS 10/9 CENTRAL")

Escapay:
Minions! What are you doing? Get up!

Dancing Elephant 1:
We don't want to! No way are we going to dance for Power Rangers SPD!

Dancing Elephant 2:
Yeah! The review was great, especially the text with the pictures, but I ain't cheering for the DVD!

Dancing Elephant 3:
Anyone wanna catch Geena Davis tonight? She's my favorite president. Even better than Martin Sheen!

Dancing Elephant 1:
Anyways, we're not dancing! We protest!

Escapay:
You can't protest! I control you!

Dancing Elephant 1:
You don't control us! You never did! Mr. Wallace had to make a human dance because of your "monopoly"!

Escapay:
Pshaw, monopoly. Everyone can use you guys! They just have to pay me a fee. :P

Dancing Elephant 3:
I hope ABC picks up CIC next season. I love me my Geena Davis.

Dancing Elephant 2:
Well even if we weren't exclusive to you, esCApay, we don't get paid! We want to get paid!

Escapay:
Like you can use money anyway. You're emoticons.

Dancing Elephant 1:
Pay us in bytes.

Escapay:
How the hell am I supposed to do that?

Dancing Elephant 2:
Figure it out. Until then, we protest.

Dancing Elephant 3:
Aw hell, you guys are ruining my "Save Commander in Chief!" campaign!

(Dancing Elephant 3 takes the other signs and burns them in a sacrificial bonfire. He then drags the other elephants onstage. There is a total of six.)

Dancing Elephant 3:
Now, dance fools, dance!

:pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink: :pink:

Escapay:
*sigh* I love my minions...

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
PR Fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PR Fan »

Thinks for a second and this is my personal opinion But Luke how could you do that. First of All Wormhole from the start was a sort of screw up, it takes place in between an episode Badge to be exact meaning it's ep. 34. It also originally debuted as a Major Screw up on Canadian Family. There are so many problems with this episode, they should have Put History on it since that's the first teamup there is a line with Jack and Conner saying I met you before(That episode will be on the MF DVD volume slated for release June 5 i believe the same date As Eight Below and the Dumbo Big Top Edition among others :) ).

But this is probably my Major Gripe with your Review since i would be considered an SPD fan at least to me Shadow part 1 and 2 was a very good episode probably the Best of this Series which is not saying much from my perspective. You apparently as a non SPD fan or PR in general i thought wouldn't like it but this is The Power Rangers one of the longest running Series, It hit 500 episodes during Dino Thunder and is well on their way to 600 come some time during Relic Hunters(the series after MF). Actually i suggest to you Luke if you want to see why PR is so great just check out Dino Thunder Volume 2 (Tommy) Dino Thunder as you probably know was the Second Series owned fully by Disney or The Ultimate Rangers DVD Disney's first release for Power Rangers. Also Another thing to add i Must say I love that you do in fact consider PR a Disney show but i'm just a tiny bit surprised MF volume 1 is not on the release date list or maybe it's just not officially a Disney show since it's original roots were with Saban but that's a whole other discussion for a non exclusive Disney board.

Also I thought either You or Aaron(Who did the Joining Forces DVD) should have mentioned about Bruce Kalish the Executive Producer being on the crew of One of Disney Channel IMO greatest shows that Being The Famous Jett Jackson.

In the end i would say for Most a 2 stars is what SPD deserves but i feel it should have been 1 3/4 or so just for the inclusion of Wormhole. Sorry i'm just in the corner that Feels that Bruce Kalish deserved some leeway and respect the Series since it is doing pretty well.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

The review said that this was reviewed by multiple people, so I'll just address you all as rangers.

I enjoyed the review on PR: S.P.D., rangers! It's pretty obvious you guys had a lot of fun with this one. Brilliant screencap captions too; despite my hate for fart jokes, I found the forth-to-last cap to be the funniest one on there. It's also been a long while since I've read a UD review that has nothing good to say about the content; that show must really suck! Though, I must say that Boom does sound and look funny; just the thought of someone who is even dorky in the eyes of the Power Rangers is enough to make me laugh.

A hilarious, informative, and entertaining read. Since I'm at a loss for some dancing Power Rangers at the moment, I'll just dish out a dose of random.

Image Image Image
- John
PR Fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PR Fan »

Luke since i believe you are one of the Rangers, All but Monica May(Elizabeth Z Delgado)are Canadians, forgot where John Tui was born. In hindsight i think my post was trying to defend SPD and just remember this Was Bruce Kalish's first season and he never did PR before, although Jackie Marchand and Koichi Sakamoto stunt director i believe or dealing with Stunts have been on PR seemingly since the beginning.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Thanks for the feedback, Pasta and Escapay. Glad you got a kick out of the SPD review and I can say the same about your feedback!

PR Fan, I'm not sure I've caught everything you've said. Firstly, thanks for correcting me about the actors' origins. I've amended that.

With regards to Mystic Force not appearing on the schedule, "Power Rangers" do not bear the Disney name anywhere on DVD. While we make certain exceptions for wide-appeal titles and include them (generally family-friendly fare) on the schedule, I can't honestly deem PR to be that, so it will only receive as much attention as things from Disney's other branches do. The good news is "Mystic Force" will be getting a standard length single page review, I hope.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the series. It's interesting how a long-time PR fan and relative newcomers can view the same thing so differently. I'm surprised you actually feel the DVDs should have gotten a lower rating than they did and yet you vow to be an SPD fan! Well at least your appreciation of the series hasn't blinded your ability to be critical! Thanks for not hating us for the review. And you might be happy to notice that at least for the time being, the rangers are adorning UD's front page!
PR Fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PR Fan »

If you were curious i have stuck through Power Rangers essentially since Day of the Dumpster(First episode ever), plus yeah i understand about the Rating and Sentai(Show used for source material) is much more violent.
I am an SPD fan/supporter since I believe in the PR community Bruce Kalish should have been given a chance since besides DT's Episode Isn't It Lava-Ly he never wrote/excecutive Produced a Power Rangers Episode and just have been mainly judged on Mystic Force aka Give The Guy a Chance.
As to why I think if this review was a 1 page for Both Volume 4 Boom and 5 Zapped aka like Aaron's Joining Forces volume 1 There were so many things wrong with it and albeit being a bonus feature it was by far the worst episode on volume 4 and 5. My Shadow comment made above was essentially that SPD as a whole besides Shadow didn't really stand out to a lot of PR Fans, in a good way but Wormhole and History(MF Volume 1 bonus feature according to Disney DVD site, the Teamup that Jack or Conner mentions in Wormhole) did at least Wormhole because of so many errors but I thought it was good to see Tommy(Albeit played by Jeff Parrazo, Trent's Actor in a Teamup).
I understand about the cover art page, guess Buena Vista Home Entertainment is a different part of Disney but that's okay It wasn't a really big nitpick too me.
Support Power Rangers Mystic Force
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... eensamurai My Dvd Collection
Image When Disney took over
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

Hey guys, haven't had much time to read many reviews but I really enjoyed the Narnia one, and the most recent CD Round-Up (forget whether it's March or April). I was wondering if I could put in a request for a review. I was hoping that a review could be written for The Cheetah Girls, considering The Cheetah Girls 2 is to be aired on TV in Summer, and you could post the review then, as to tie in with it. Just a thought......
Anyway- great job guys! :) :D :)
-James
PR Fan
Gold Classic Collection

Post by PR Fan »

Luke I found other mistake, according to the opening Credits Bruce Kalish is indeed the Executive Producer.
Support Power Rangers Mystic Force
http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html? ... eensamurai My Dvd Collection
Image When Disney took over
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

PR Fan wrote:Luke I found other mistake, according to the opening Credits Bruce Kalish is indeed the Executive Producer.
He's an executive producer, but judging from his absence on the back of the keepcase, he's not the most important one. Hence, he was left off, along with the Japanese executive producer.

Thanks for the feedback, James. I know I'm really focusing on getting our "To Do" list down to nothing right now, so I'm reluctant to add new things to it until our existing slate is wiped clean. Also, I have honestly no interest whatsoever in <i>The Cheetah Girls</i>. Nor do the few of our other regular reviewers, as far as I know. Plus none of us have the DVD. So it seems unlikely to get a review of that done so soon, as timely as it would be to match up with the sequel.

Of course, if this site is still going in the long haul, then I'd love to get every Disney DVD reviewed (at least from the Disney branch, that is). That leaves <i>Cheetah Girls</i> among a very small class of widely-released DCOMs in need of being covered. I probably should have just requested it two summers ago, but I was in the midst of travel and Disney was just about to unleash twelve catalogue DVDs in one day, so interest being minimal, I didn't. That was somewhat pre-"reviews taking up all my time" too. Oh well, a longer answer than you needed.
James
Anniversary Edition

Post by James »

Thanks for the answer Luke. I didn't think that any of you would care about the Cheetah Girls, and I don't really mind that you don't really want to review it- I'd definitely rather get a nice long review of Sin City (the 2 disc one) than The Cheetah Girls. I am sooooooo in love with Sin City!
Anyway, back on topic, thanks for the answer and I look forward to reading future reviews.
Oh and by the way- on TVShowsOnDVD.com they've posted news about new sets of DuckTales and Chip n Dale's Resce Rangers to be released this November/December. Just thought you should know. Here's the links.
DuckTales-http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5530
Chip n Dale's Rescue Rangers-http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=5529
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

I got a tad behind on review reading, but I just got caught up on the reviews for:
Best Pals: Mickey & Minnie
Best Pals: Donald & Daisy
Best Pals: Mickey & Pluto
The Greatest Game Ever Played
Pooh's Grand Adventure: The Search for Christopher Robin
Under the Umbrella Tree: Volume 2
Power Rangers S.P.D.: Volumes 3-5
April 2006 DVD Roundup

Excellent job on all the reviews Luke, Renata, and Aaron! I especially enjoyed the humor of the Power Rangers' review. Keep up the good work guys!
CJ
Anniversary Edition

Post by CJ »

Excellent job on the "Dinosaurs" The Complete First and Second Season review Luke. There is a problem with the "continue to page 2 link", it took me to page 2 of "The Muppet Show" review. The other page 2 link works fine.
Pasta67
Anniversary Edition

Post by Pasta67 »

CJ wrote:There is a problem with the "continue to page 2 link", it took me to page 2 of "The Muppet Show" review.
Yeah, I was about to say that. The link needs to be fixed. Plus, the third picture caption stops in mid-sentence. Other than those, I didn't see any other mistakes.
In the press release thread, Luke wrote:Plus, I had to sleep. :roll:
HOW DARE YOU SLACK OFF LIKE THAT?!!! :wink:

Boy, you have no idea how much nostalgia came a floodin' when I read that review, Luke. Seriously, I watched that show every chance I got when I was little, yet I did not remember a single thing about it when I was reading; I didn't even remember what the characters looked like! I skipped the episode descriptions because I didn't want to be spoiled, but I read everything else, and the show looks like it was treated well. I don't remember Dinosaurs being quite as "mature" as your review said, but then again, I don't remember anything about it!

I wasn't planning on buying this, but the review makes it sound too good to miss, so I may just have to give it a try. I liked it when I was a kid, maybe I'll like it now. Great review, Luke! :)

Is he? HOLY CRAP, he's not here! Escapay hasn't posted a dancing elephant yet! Oh man, I know it's risky, but I'm gonna do it; I'm gonna DO IT!

:pink:

Ha ha!

Once again, great review!
- John