DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2015 11:39 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Recently in The Atlantic, the following article was published on physical media verse digital media.I'll share the first few paragraphs below and the link, but I highly suggest everyone here who is interested on the subject read the entire article.

Quote:
When you purchase a movie from Amazon Instant Video, you’re not buying it, exactly. It’s more like renting indefinitely.

This distinction matters if your notion of “buying” is that you pay for something once and then you get to keep that thing for as long as you want. Increasingly, in the world of digital goods, a purchasing transaction isn’t that simple.

There are two key differences between buying media in a physical format versus a digital one. First, there’s the technical aspect: Maintaining long-term access to a file requires a hard copy of it—that means, for example, downloading a film, not just streaming from a third party’s server. The second distinction is a bit more complicated, and it has to do with how the law has shaped digital rights in the past 15 years. It helps to think about the experience of a person giving up CDs and using iTunes for music purchases instead.

[url]
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/a ... es/409387/[/url]

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 12:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

While I download music (I'll buy the album for my favorite artists), I like to have back-ups of my back-ups of my back-ups...I just would hate to lose all of that downloaded (and paid-for) content; I have never downloaded a movie...I still buy the physical copies. I have a decent-sized collection on my Disney Movies Anywhere account (I've never downloaded any of them yet, but it's nice to know if I ever go anywhere, I could watch them).

What happens if you have all of your music/books/movies just electronically and then, *poof*, technical difficulties, they're all gone?!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:57 am 
Collector's Edition

Valid point indeed! I myself prefer the physical item if purely for the sheer joy of unwrapping those often beautifull packagings. That being said I detest digital purchases altogether since you pay the same if not more without the ensurance that your purchases will still be available in the near future because of either an expiration date or a failed digital format in the long run

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:49 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This is my philosophy; having your favorite movie or TV show on a physical format, knowing it's there ready for you to watch whenever you want is comforting and a joy.

I love and will take physical media any time and any day over digital. Now yes, I do streaming, but it will NEVER ever replace physical media. Not by a long shot.