Fantastic Mr. Fox

All topics relating to content owned by Disney that is not Disney-branded.
BonusMage
Gold Classic Collection

Fantastic Mr. Fox

Post by BonusMage »

From Comingsoon.net
Revolution Studios and Wes Anderson will turn Roald Dahl's The Fantastic Mr. Fox into a stop-motion animated feature, reports Variety. Sony Pictures will distribute the movie.

Anderson will write the script with Noah Baumbach, his partner on The Life Aquatic With Steve Zissou. Anderson also will direct this first animated film for him and for Revolution.

The book tells the story of a crafty fox who finds himself and his family targeted for death by the three dumb, plug-ugly farmers who tire of sharing their chickens with the critter.
I remember a while back someone starting a thread asking what tales would make a good Disney film, I said this. :D
Although not Disney looks like a film will be made, and its stop motion!! thats like Nightmare before Christmas isn't it? One of my favourite films. I'm now looking forward to this.
STASHONE
Anniversary Edition

Post by STASHONE »

this sounds very cool!
jambo*rafiki
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jambo*rafiki »

I've read this book at least once a year since I was five! This is so exciting! They did it with James and the Giant Peach, now they'll do it with another underrated Dahl classic!
P.S. by 'they' I mean animators in general, not specifically Revolution studios.
"The names Cruuuuuuush. Emphasis on the U. But you can call me Crush."

"Asante sana, squash banana, wewe nugu, mimi apana!"

SAVE 2D!!!!!!!!
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

It sounds interesting. Fantastic Mr Fox is one of the better Roald Dahl works. I've always found some of his books (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, BFG, Revolting Rhymes) to be too disturbing so don't think I'm going to see Johnny Depp as Willy Wonka...

:roll:
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Joe- What's BFG?
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
ichabod
Diamond Edition

Post by ichabod »

Just Myself wrote:Joe- What's BFG?
The Big Friendly Giant, although the book is actually called the BFG!
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

Just Myself wrote:Joe- What's BFG?
A highly disturbing book about man eating giants. Do not read it.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Fantastic Mr. Fox-Criterion Collection Blu-ray Feb. 25th

Post by ajmrowland »

I know it's now the 27th but I thought I'd include the release date for posterity.

Some of us have mentioned it before, but writer/director Wes Anderson's family comedy has become the 1st ever animated film to be admitted into this prestigious line! I got my copy yesterday from Amazon. Gonna watch it tonight! Excited for it!

Naturally, Anderson is much loved by Criterion and they make quality blu-rays and dvds, so it's not surprising this is an upgrade. New features include an audio reading of the book, new animated intro, animation tests, new featurettes and documentaries, a new commentary by Anderson, and a booklet featuring lots of behind the scenes facts and photos as well as a printed prop used in the film.

Here's the Amazon Page.

http://www.amazon.com/Fantastic-Mr-Crit ... tic+mr+fox
Fantastic Mr. Fox is the story of a clever, quick, nimble, and exceptionally well-dressed wild animal. A compulsive chicken thief turned newspaper reporter, Mr. Fox settles down with his family at a new foxhole in a beautiful tree directly adjacent to three enormous poultry farms-owned by three ferociously vicious farmers: Boggis, Bunce, and Bean. Mr. Fox simply cannot resist. This adaptation of Roald Dahl's classic children's novel from Wes Anderson (The Royal Tenenbaums) is a meticulous work of stop-motion animation featuring vibrant performances by George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Willem Dafoe, Michael Gambon, and Bill Murray. DIRECTOR-APPROVED DUAL-FORMAT BLU-RAY AND DVD SPECIAL EDITION FEATURES New digital master, approved by director Wes Anderson, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray Audio commentary featuring Anderson Storyboard animatics for the entire film Footage of the actors voicing their characters, puppet construction, stop-motion setups, and the recording of the score Interviews with cast and crew Puppet animation tests Photo gallery of puppets, props, and sets Animated awards acceptance speeches Audio recording of author Roald Dahl reading the book on which the film is based Gallery of Dahl's original manuscripts Discussion and analysis of the film Stop-motion Sony robot commercial by Anderson One Blu-ray and two DVDs, with all content available in both formats PLUS: A booklet featuring a new essay; a 2002 article on Dahl's Gipsy House by Anderson; White Cape, a comic book used as a prop in the film; and drawings, original paintings, and other ephemera
And here's Luke's review.
http://www.dvdizzy.com/fantasticmrfox-criterion.html
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Re: Fantastic Mr. Fox-Criterion Collection Blu-ray Feb. 25th

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Love this release! This could also mean a new beginning for animation in Criterion since Akira on laserdisc.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Love this release! This could also mean a new beginning for animation in Criterion since Akira on laserdisc.
I don't think I've ever heard of Akira.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

ajmrowland wrote:
Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Love this release! This could also mean a new beginning for animation in Criterion since Akira on laserdisc.
I don't think I've ever heard of Akira.
HOW?

See this movie!
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Avaitor wrote:
ajmrowland wrote: I don't think I've ever heard of Akira.
HOW?

See this movie!
Yes, do, but I suggest you not watch with an easily impressionable parent. My then 65-year old father viewed it with me about five years ago, and by the end of the screening was completely and utterly disgusted. :P
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

Disgusted...is it gruesome?

Anyway, loving this release so far.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Eh, kinda.

But really, Akira is one of the most famous anime movies ever made. I'm surprised that there are people with even passing nerd culture knowledge who aren't aware of it.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

It would be nice if Criterion would pick up some notable animated films that are unlikely to get Blu-ray releases in the US otherwise. However, I can't see Fantastic Mr. Fox being released on the line meaning much for animated films in general. We all know that it was released in the collection due to it being a Wes Anderson film, and not necessarily because it is a "worthy" film. (Not that it isn't a "worthy" film; I love Fantastic Mr. Fox and think it's a great film. It's in the running for my favorite film of 2009, and there were a lot of great animated films that year!)

Also, that it took nearly 20 years (or is it more than 20 years?) for Criterion to get their second animated film released on the line, it just seems there is very little interest....

If they were to do so, however, I'd nominate the following films (i.e. My Wishlist):

The Adventures of Prince Achmed (1926)
Mr. Bug Goes to Town (1941)
Animal Farm (1955)
The Snow Queen (1957)
Fantastic Planet (1973)
Watership Down (1978)
The King and the Mockingbird (1980)
Angel's Egg (1985)
When the Wind Blows (1986)
The Thief and the Cobbler (1993) - Preferably as the "Recobbled Cut"
Kirikou and the Sorceress (1998)
The Iron Giant (1999)
The Triplets of Belleville (2003)
Mind Game (2004)
Azur and Asmar (2006)
Idiots and Angels (2008) - And other Bill Plympton features
The Illusionist (2010)
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Well, color me surprised. Watership Down is getting a Criterion release through iTunes.

http://blog.criterioncast.com/post/9182 ... ptation-of

Some Criterion films have initially been released to iTunes and recieved a BD/DVD release later. Hope that's the case here!