Chicago DVD

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Chicago DVD

Post by Disneykid »

Ok, what's with all the non-buzz surrounding this release? It seems like no one really cares about it even though it freaking won 6 Acadamy Awards and made over 100 million domestically. Not just that, but no one seems to be very disappointed in the scarce amount of features the DVD contains:

* "Making of" Featurette
* Deleted Scenes (including cut "Class" number)
* Theatrical Trailer

Some sources list an audio commentary with director Rob Marshall and screenwriter Bill Condon. Even with the commentary, this is still a rather skimpy little package unless the featurette is actually a full blown, in-depth documentary. Honestly, if the DVD is as scarce as press releases lead it to be believed, this makes Chicago the worst DVD out of all the Oscar Nominees. All the nominees are getting full-blown, multi-disc sets except The Hours, and even that DVD sounds better than Chicago's. What's the deal?? Does Miramax plan on making us double dip...?
Sulley
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Sulley »

I am a huge fan of Chicago as well, and I think the three best special features on any DVD are theatrical trailers, deleted scenes, but even more so audio commentary. It's a relief that "Class" will be on the disc, I loved it on the soundtrack.
What would this wretched world be like without Disney?
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

It was nominated for 13 Academy Awards.

Chicago is currently #15 on Amazon.com's DVD sales charts.

I have been wondering why there is a lack of comments on some DVD info websites. Some sites may not start posting articles until August - just two weeks before the August 19 release date.

Miramax Films and Buena Vista International did a fantastic job with Chicago.

DVD Features:

Region 1
Keep Case
Anamorphic Widescreen - 1.85
Audio:
Dolby Digital 5.1 - English
DTS Surround 5.1 - English
Additional Release Material:
Deleted Scenes
Audio Commentary -Rob Marshall - Director, Bill Condon - Screenwriter
Behind the Scenes Footage
Trailers

Interactive Features:
Scene Access
Interactive Menus

If you can't be famous...be infamous.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

And of course, the UK DVD is out two weeks earlier! :D

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classifie ... enDocument
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Ok, so if the U.S. DVD is like the U.K. one, ours will have:

* Audio Commentary by Rob Marshall and Bill Condon
* Behind the Scenes Featurete (28 minutes)
* Deleted Scene (Scenes?) (4 minutes)
* Running Commentary on Deleted Scene (Scenes?)
* Theatrical Trailer (3 minutes)

That's slightly better, especially knowing that the featurette isn't a 10 minute fluff piece (hopefully), and that the deleted scenes have commentary, but this DVD could use an art gallery and some raw behind-the-scenes dance rehearsal clips. If they just include those 2 things, then I'd be happy because it'd be a nice little 1 disc edition.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

I think that the discs will be the same. The logic behind releasing in the UK first seems to be to discourage imports.

I'm not sure about the deleted scene(s). I was under the impression it was just to be a single musical number that was removed from the film.

No commentary has been passed in the UK, and it wouldn't surprise me if we don't get the commentary as the film was edited by Miramax in the UK to ensure a 12A rating (6 seconds cut). However the DVD is listed as including a commentary here, so the cut footage may be reinstated, being as there is no 12A rating for home video, Miramax may have opted for a 15 rating for the home release.

PS. Expect the multi-disc release of Chicago next year! :(
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Well, about the deleted scenes, it says 4 minutes, and the song "Class" is slightly under 3 minutes. The only way Class would be the only deleted scene was if there was some dialogue before and after the scene that totaled 1 minute. The press release for the U.S. says "scenes", so I think we get "Class" and a minute's worth of other scene/scenes that aren't musical.

And you're probably right about the multi-disc thing. Miramax is gonna make us Chicago fans double dip by releasing a mondo 2-disc set. Sigh. Why can't studios just release one definitive edition and re-release that edition every few years or so for those who didn't buy it before? :roll:
Bella Notte

Post by Bella Notte »

Was anyone else disappointed by Chicago? I thought that it was ok but not great. I'll probably buy the dvd eventually but I think I'll wait for a 2 disc version.

Here's some news about Chicago from TV Guide Online.

"Miramax will unspool a new version of Chicago in theaters next month to hype the musical's August DVD release, Variety reports. The re-release will feature a song-and-dance number cut from the original. We're betting it's "Class," the axed duet between Queen Latifah and Catherine Zeta-Jones. "
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Oooh, I hope that "Class" will be in the body of the film when it comes to DVD. :D
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Extended theatrical re-release in July

To promote the August 19th DVD release, Miramax will re-release the Oscar-winning musical Chicago back into theaters next month. According to Daily Variety, this version will include the musical number "Class" which was was cut from the original release.

From DavisDVD.com
http://www.davisdvd.com/News/daily_news.htm
Trevor

Post by Trevor »

I loved Chicago and I will be there 8/19 to get it the day it comes out. I have the soundtrack in my CD player...it has been there since the day after I saw the movie...back when it first came out. I know all the songs by heart, and even have the movie downloaded to my computer (cause I couldnt wait for August to watch it again!) :o

The song "Class" is good, and I like it but I am having a hard time seeing where it will go in the movie. I assume somewhere along the lines of where it is on the soundtrack, but still I dont see how it fits. The whole premise of the movie is going on in Roxie's head and I dont see her dreaming of a duet with Velma & Mama.... oh well, as good as the movie was I am sure they will make it work :)
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Ah, but Mr. Cellophane didn't take place in Roxie's head, either, it was in Amos's. :D
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Disneykid wrote:Oooh, I hope that "Class" will be in the body of the film when it comes to DVD. :D

:?:

:wink:
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Disneykid
Diamond Edition

Post by Disneykid »

Everyone throw tomatoes at Luke. :P :roll: :wink:
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

From a UK DVD site
We've seen reports that the upcoming Buena Vista release of "Chicago" will feature a commentary track from director-choreographer Rob Marshall and screenwriter Bill Condon. However we've been in touch with BV pR people and they assure us that the extras are as stated on the initial PR, I.E no commentary track. The extras are (apparently):

Deleted Scene musical number "Class"
Theatrical Trailer
28 minute making of feature
BV's PR are pretty sure however that the release does feature a DTS soundtrack.
As I suspected earlier it looks like the UK release may not get the commentary track due to the edit, as I speculated earlier on this thread.

So that's something for all UK members to bear in mind. (I still can't find a commentary for the film passed by the BBFC yet).
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

What was edited in the UK release?
I absolutely loved Chicago and can't wait to get it on DVD, but I'm not going to buy the UK release if it is edited.
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Don't know. All I know is 6 seconds were cut from the UK showing in order to obtain a 12A rating. So the version you saw at the cinema would have had the same edits.
Billy Moon
Special Edition

Post by Billy Moon »

2099net wrote:So the version you saw at the cinema would have had the same edits.
I very much doubt it. I don't live in the UK. :)
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

i think chicago should get 2 disc treatment not one disc!