Shout! aquires Saban library, includes Power Rangers!!!

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chernabog_Rocks
Collector's Edition

Post by Chernabog_Rocks »

Lazario wrote:I'm extremely confused right now... is Time Life doing this so Shout! Factory...doesn't have to? Have they ever put out FULL season sets of shows before / is this a first for them? If they have done this kind of thing before, when? Is this mega-set meant to compete with Shout!'s upcoming sets / take money from them; what the hell are Saban thinking? Will Shout!'s sets have no bonuses if Time Life have 2 extra discs worth? Different bonuses? Will Shout!'s sets be more expensive or a lot cheaper due to this? Which studio will be able to boast better picture and sound quality? Why are Time Life assuming most fans of the original series actually want to buy this unbelievably, insultingly bloated set just to get their potentially better discs / extras pertaining to the seasons they want?
To answer your question rather late, Time Life has also released the entire series for the Real Ghostbusters. :) So they've done this before, and from what I understand the Real Ghostbusters set was well done.

Also, thank you Sotiris for the link! :D

EDIT:

This link should clear things up for you Laz :)

http://tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mighty-Mor ... gh-7/17052
My Disney focused instagram: disneyeternal
AladdinFan
Special Edition

Post by AladdinFan »

Would love to see all the series again. These were my childhood. I was obssesed with the PR. I dont want to buy it cause it really expensive. I rather rent each season.
Mighty Morphin and Lost Galaxy are my favorites. Lost Galaxy is my favorite PR theme song cause its addicted and catchy.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

AladdinFan wrote:Would love to see all the series again. These were my childhood. I was obssesed with the PR. I dont want to buy it cause it really expensive. I rather rent each season.
I don't suppose you pay for Netflix's Watch Instant service... I find it's of course better than nothing to be able to watch the show on Netflix. But it's extremely impressive how just about the entire show is on there. I only bother(ed) with the first 4 seasons but they had it all. (Would be nice for them to include the pilot episode, though. The original pilot. Which is a million light years apart from the show everyone knows.)
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Lazario wrote:The original pilot. Which is a million light years apart from the show everyone knows.)
What was different about it?
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I'll go looking for a YouTube link later-on but I don't think I'll find it there... So, maybe you won't get to see it until the DVD's came out. But, anyway, here's a little Reaction thing I wrote at a friend's message board (so keep in mind that some of it is bound to come off like I just saw it for the first time; I'm literally copying-+-pasting it from there) that should explain everything I'm implying here:

But anyway... the differences between this version and the version that aired on TV are astounding. Pay close attention- this version is WAY BETTER! First of all, this doesn't pull ANY punches in any way. When Jason, Zach, etc(.) get in a fight with Bu(u)lk and his goon friends... they ACTUALLY hit them! HARD! The punches and kicks look REAL. The same is true for the Putty Patrol fight scenes. Second of all, the show isn't squeaky clean, morally, anymore. Zach actually grabs Jason's butt. Bulk's friend actually grabs Kimberly and Trini in a fairly suggestive way as well. And while Zach tries to distract Bulk, Bulk calls him a "sissy." I know what you're thinking but if you watch the show again, you'll notice in comparison to an insult like that, the show's dialogue was much more neutered than this. Then, near the end of the pilot, Billy pulls a groin muscle. Later, when we meet Zordon (or Zaltar as he's known here), and he tells Alpha to beam to him a group of 5 teens, listen to the words he uses to describe them. He's not telling Alpha to get him the Honor Society, the 5 best students or most moral and clean teens- he wants more realistic kids. Next, look at the camera cuts. Especially in the moment where Kimberly drops the bowling ball. That's downright... ARTISTIC!

Speaking of artistic... well, look at the old Command Center. Does anyone really think the version they used on the show rather than this pilot looks better? This one is WAY more colorful! Especially in the second video- watch the Zaltar closeups when he says "Luck had nothing to do with it..." Oh, and the moment where Jason calls his zord. Beautiful! And, there's more. The writing!! This version of the show is actually... FUNNY! Since they're not overly concerned with making the Rangers look squeaky clean and since they can't beat the Putties without Morphing first, well... look at how helpless they are! They're so kind of scared, that they actually scream for help. I laughed at this moment. I had help of course, go to the end of the first video and watch Kimberly's scream (around 8:40). It's fucking hilarious.

Lastly... well, there are a few things that are weaker in this version, if you can believe it! #1 obviously is that the show's Trini (Thuy Trang) was a lot more memorable than this actress. #2 is that Alpha looks like crap. #3 is that the teleportation sequences on the show were better than this weird distorting vaccuum-suck effect. And #4... well, could Billy be any more weak and gay? Not only was his look on the show sexier, but he didn't just sit there and shout out one-liners. Other than these things however, the pilot version is actually a pretty OKAY show. And since it's the only semi-mature episode of the Power Rangers, it's worth a look. I hope you all check it out if you haven't already seen it.

Ah-HA, found it!:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/e8CWonzNdRU" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Skip to about 6:20, then if you feel like it- watch the interview silliness at the beginning.
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

Haha, thanks a lot for looking for it, and posting it!

Great to have seen. God, I remember every episode I watched when I was a kid....it's so bad and corny now, but I still wanna own a dvd set, even though I'll probably won't ever watch it... :lol:
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Extras for the Power Rangers Seasons 1-7 set have been announced!!!:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/showthre ... -DVD/page6

"Brian Ward has also posted a list of the special features it'll offer on Ragerboard earlier this week. So they are:
1. Morphin Time! A Look Back At Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
2. A Morphenomenal Cast: A Look At Becoming A Power Ranger
3. Tales of the Giant Banana: A Look Back at Bulk & Skull
4. Behind the Mask: Celebrating the Stunt Team
5. The Fans Power Up
6. A Convention With Attitude: Power Morphicon
7. Lord Zedd's Monster Heads
8. Alpha's Magical Christmas
9. The Good, The Bad and the Stupid: The Misadventures of Bulk & Skull
10. The MMPR Fan Club Video
11. MMPR Karate Club: The White Ranger Kata
12. Power Rangers Live: The World Tour
13. The Lost Episode
14. Power Playback: Power Rangers Funniest Moments
15. It's Comin' ZEO Serial
16. Gold Lining ZEO Promo
17. Tanya's Stick Together Music Video

He also says that there's even a little something extra. There might even be a few more, since he said the ones mentioned above are the ones he can think of off the top of his head."

Thanks goes to Toonzone member Storm Eagle for this breaking news! :)
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »