Universal 100th Anniversary

Discussion of non-Disney DVD and Blu-ray.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Universal 100th Anniversary

Post by jpanimation »

So what titles do you think they have planned for release?

We already have Psycho and the bigs guns like Back to the Future and Jurassic Park are out but will they get separate (non-trilogy) releases?

So far they've announced Jaws, To Kill a Mockingbird, All Quiet on the Western Front and that the Classic Universal Monsters will be making there HD debut (hopefully separate and not in a boxset as rumored).

Will we see more Hitchcock (Vertigo, Rear Window, The Birds) and Spielberg (E.T., Schindler's List)? Will we see any Jules Dassin (Brute Force, Naked City) or Don Bluth (An American Tale, The Land Before Time)? How about the Amblimation films (Balto, We're Back! A Dinosaur's Story, Fievel Goes West)?

Will the announced Creature from the Black Lagoon and Jaws 3D releases be 3D?

Will Peter Jackson's King Kong finally get a Blu-ray release will some extras (he's usually good with this)?
Last edited by jpanimation on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

You know what I want? A widescreen release of Kindergarten Cop. (Now there's a movie more timeless than Death Becomes Her.)
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Here's what you can expect to see:

http://criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=366774

I'm hoping this list is incomplete and that we get more releases like a SE of Child's Play 2.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I second the recommendation about Kindergarten Cop. I love that movie and don't think that it gets enough love.

Also would like to see a good release to Blu-ray of E.T. - and I want it exactly like the deluxe DVD edition, that includes original theatrical version and "cleaned" up version .

I see where they are releasing "Francis The Talking Mule" movie, but only the first one, and that really sucks. We never got the complete collection on DVD, and I think they need to give us that before they start the single releases.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

We will most likely see a fare amount of Hitchcock. In fact, didn't they just release a DVD boxset this year? Probably to squeeze as much out of the titles as they can get.

I'd like (but don't expect) to see Thoroughly Modern Millie. It's got the names and it had a Broadway hit a few years back, but I'm afraid that the title may still be too obscure.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

Land Before Time (hopefully uncut), An American Tail and its sequel, Fievel Goes West! I wanna see those on Blu-ray ASAP! Surely, I'm not alone in this cause...
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

DisneyJedi wrote:Land Before Time (hopefully uncut), An American Tail and its sequel, Fievel Goes West! I wanna see those on Blu-ray ASAP! Surely, I'm not alone in this cause...
I'm with you! I need these films IN WIDESCREEN!!!!! :D
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Universal has announced The Deer Hunter and Harvey as coming out on March 6. They also announced that E.T. will be getting a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release.

In addition, they have restored 13 classic films and announced them for Blu-ray. Only six of them have release dates:

To Kill a Mockingbird (Jan 31, 2012)
All Quiet on the Western Front (Feb 14, 2012)
Abbott and Costello's Buck Privates (April 17, 2012)
Jaws (Aug 14, 2012)
Schindler's List
The Birds
Dracula (1931) + the Spanish-language Dracula
Frankenstein
Bride of Frankenstein
Out of Africa (March 6, 2012)
Pillow Talk (May 1, 2012)
The Sting

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/XXnu58AwvME" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Nice but I was really hoping for Rear Window and Creature from the Black Lagoon 3D.
Last edited by jpanimation on Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:09 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

jpanimation wrote:Universal has announced The Deer Hunter and Harvey as coming out in March. They also announced that E.T. will be getting a 30th Anniversary Blu-ray release.
If Spielberg's in charge of the ET Blu-ray release, hopefully he'll involve the original theatrical cut, since he suggests that people watch that as opposed to the 20th anniversary special edition.

Oh, by the way, last year was not only the 25th anniversary of An American Tail, but also the 20th for its sequel, Fievel Goes West. Seriously, what gives, Universal?? You had a chance to put them on Blu-ray that year when you released them on DVD nearly ten years ago! I mean, really? What the hell?! :(
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

DisneyJedi wrote:If Spielberg's in charge of the ET Blu-ray release, hopefully he'll involve the original theatrical cut, since he suggests that people watch that as opposed to the 20th anniversary special edition.
Actually, I'm more worried that he won't include the 20th Anniversary Edition, as that's what he seemed to suggest in front of an audience. I really liked most of the changes but hated just one or two.

I appreciated the fact that the DVD included both versions and I'm hoping the Blu-ray will too.

DisneyJedi wrote:You had a chance to put them on Blu-ray that year when you released them on DVD nearly ten years ago! I mean, really? What the hell?! :(
I don't think it's all Universal's fault, as I'm pretty sure Spielberg has most of the rights to everything he's involved with.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Has anyone picked up the Collector's Series sets for To Kill a Mockingbird or All Quiet on the Western Front? I'm very interested in both, but haven't got around to either yet.

Also, according to a post from Universal's official Facebook page, it seems like the horror classics are getting a new DVD box set, with no plans for a Blu-Ray release at the time. A damn shame, IMO.
yamiiguy
Anniversary Edition

Post by yamiiguy »

I was under the impression that they'd be released around Halloween. I'm personally hoping for Creature from the Black Lagoon to be given a 3D Blu-Ray release to go with the Dial M for Murder release that Warner are releasing this year.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I'm guessing that they are. Universal just confirmed it in the comments sections of a random wall post, rather than making a post getting into more details. If they were coming out any sooner, they'd make a more complete press release.
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

The Creature From The Black Lagoon was originally released in 3-D back in the 50's, so it would be nice to see it that way again.

One of our local television stations made a big deal out of their showing of "Creature From the Black Lagoon" in 3-D and tied it in with a local fast-food joint to get your special red/green 3-D glasses. I was surprised how efficient it was, but I think if Universal really cares, they will re-master this film digitally to get 'all' of the special effects, which were ahead of their time, into this film and we can this sci-fi classic as it was meant to be seen.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
TheValentineBros
Anniversary Edition

Post by TheValentineBros »

I'm surprised that nobody posted a new logo in action.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bNJW113tbKk" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Was wonderin' if someone could help me here; I remember seeing a 75th Anniversary logo of Universal when I saw Child's Play 2. That logo came out in 1990 and made me believe that Universal was founded in 1915. But now I see that's not the case. Can anyone clue me in about what the 75th Anniversary logo was doing in 1990 when it should've been in 1987? :?
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

TheValentineBros wrote:I'm surprised that nobody posted a new logo in action.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bNJW113tbKk" frameborder="0"></iframe>
Eh, it's okay. I wish they'd change the background music altogether instead of just rehashing the same one from 1997.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

Looks nice. It's appropriately flashy and not too high-tech or anything.

Oh, so the collector's edition of Out of Africa comes out tomorrow. Anyone getting it? It honestly kind of creeped up on me, and unlike To Kill a Mockingbird and All Quiet on the Western Front, I haven't seen it before, so I'm not sure if I'm willing to splurge yet.
jpanimation
Anniversary Edition

Post by jpanimation »

Mickeyfan1990 wrote:Was wonderin' if someone could help me here; I remember seeing a 75th Anniversary logo of Universal when I saw Child's Play 2. That logo came out in 1990 and made me believe that Universal was founded in 1915. But now I see that's not the case. Can anyone clue me in about what the 75th Anniversary logo was doing in 1990 when it should've been in 1987? :?
I’ve heard it has something to do with when they were founded and when they released their first movie as a studio. They chose different starting points as to when the company “began” for each of these celebrations.
PixarFan2006 wrote:Eh, it's okay. I wish they'd change the background music altogether instead of just rehashing the same one from 1997.
I like Goldsmith’s theme but prefer the one I grew up on during the early 90s. I always felt Goldsmith’s suggests triumph while Horner’s suggested majesty. James Horner is still alive, they should've contacted him to update that theme.
pap64
Platinum Edition

Post by pap64 »

I may be biased, but I really love the Universal logo from the 90s, the one with this music:
http://youtu.be/0DOyNKV43Qc

I don't know, it just sounds magical. Again, I may be biased since the logo was used on many of my favorite movies growing up like Fievel Goes West, We're Back, Balto, JURASSIC PARK, so on and so forth.
ImageImageImageImage