Star Wars Saga Blu Ray set confirmed to be in the works

All topics on all things Lucasfilm.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

DarthPrime wrote:A few changes that may be spoilers to some...

Yoda is now CGI in Episode 1. There is a short video of it on YouTube that was leaked. Its not the CGI test from the Episode 3 DVD. I'm ok with this change since the puppet used was horrible. I just hope they never replace the puppet in Empire/Jedi. Also according to various sites the Lightsaber color issues have been corrected in the Original Trilogy.

Also noticed a new preorder exclusive at Best Buy. Its a Episode 3 film cell.
Sadly, they put the CG Yoda in Empire Strikes Back too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oq0745a ... re=related

:wink:
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

Barbossa wrote:
DarthPrime wrote:A few changes that may be spoilers to some...

Yoda is now CGI in Episode 1. There is a short video of it on YouTube that was leaked. Its not the CGI test from the Episode 3 DVD. I'm ok with this change since the puppet used was horrible. I just hope they never replace the puppet in Empire/Jedi. Also according to various sites the Lightsaber color issues have been corrected in the Original Trilogy.

Also noticed a new preorder exclusive at Best Buy. Its a Episode 3 film cell.
Sadly, they put the CG Yoda in Empire Strikes Back too:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Oq0745a ... re=related

:wink:
:lol: Don't give Lucas any ideals.
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

Only 3 more weeks until the release. Can't wait. And on the 9th & the 13th X Men & Thor are released to keep me busy while I'm counting down the days.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
DARTH KNITE
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DARTH KNITE »

Who's got the best deal on this so far??? Amazon seems to think 89 bucks is a good deal. I disagree.
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

DARTH KNITE wrote:Who's got the best deal on this so far??? Amazon seems to think 89 bucks is a good deal. I disagree.
That's for the whole kitten kaboodle....al 6 films and a but load of special features...40 hours worth.....I'm glad this release wasn't rushed rushed like so many movie get released, blu ray or not.....they put time and efferot in it

Now if you want the original trilogy only you can get that, or the prequel trilogy.......

And it's $89 on other websites too for the complete blu ray collection such as wal-mart, best buy etc - though Best Buy has a free Film Cell.

http://www.walmart.com/search/search-ng ... raint=4096

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Star+Wars%3 ... 64&st=star wars&lp=2&cp=1
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
buffalobill
Anniversary Edition

Post by buffalobill »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a better price sometime in the next 3 weeks & hopefully Amazon will match it. If a B&M store has a better price or really great promo item Amazon is easily cancelled.
15 gallon 7 pint blood donor as of 1-4-11. Done donating. Apparently having Cancer makes you kind of ineligible to donate.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

$89 isn't a bad price, but I'm really hoping it drops some. Tons of releases I want in the next few months, and ever price drop helps.

Part of me says to wait for a better deal near the holidays (I'm sure some store will have it on sale cheaper than $89 by then...), but I really want to watch these when they are released.
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

More "leaks" of new changes are coming out besides the one I posted about earlier. Some videos on YouTube claim to be from the Blu-rays. If true one is VERY bad.

Spoiler below...

Vader screams "NO!" when picking the Emperor up and saving Luke at the end of Return of the Jedi.

:(

The other ones are ok, but really didn't need to be done.
PixarFan2006
Signature Collection

Post by PixarFan2006 »

DarthPrime wrote:More "leaks" of new changes are coming out besides the one I posted about earlier. Some videos on YouTube claim to be from the Blu-rays. If true one is VERY bad.

Spoiler below...

Vader screams "NO!" when picking the Emperor up and saving Luke at the end of Return of the Jedi.

:(

The other ones are ok, but really didn't need to be done.
I saw the leaked footage and I am not so sure about this. I doubt any of them are real. some of them look fan-made using the 2004 DVDs.

SPOILERS

-The scene in which they dubbed Obi Wan making the weird call to scare away the sand people may very well be a fan dub.
-The "Greedo Shoots First" scene looks more like a sped up version of the 2004 DVD edition.
-Vader saying "No" when Palpatine shoots Luke with Sith Lightning may have been just spliced from other SW films like Empire Strikes Back.
-The CGI Yoda puppet may be legit. Same with the Ewoks blinking.

Regardless, I am still not sold on the Blu-Ray sets. Sorry, George, you are not getting one more cent out of me just yet.
Dr Frankenollie
In The Vaults

Post by Dr Frankenollie »

PixarFan2006 wrote:I saw the leaked footage and I am not so sure about this. I doubt any of them are real. some of them look fan-made using the 2004 DVDs.
Hopefully you're right; I don't really like Star Wars and I'm not going to get these upcoming Blu-Ray releases, but the idea of George Lucas shitting all over his own films again is more than a little irritating to me.
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Here's a piece from EW (I haven't read it, but I know it touches on some stuff everyone is talking about):
EW wrote:Stop hating George Lucas, and stop loving 'Star Wars' so much: Why it's time to grow up
by Darren Franich

When I say that it’s time for us to stop caring so much about Star Wars, I want you to understand: When I was a kid, my obsession with Star Wars was all-encompassing. I had the original trilogy memorized — not just the lines, but the sound effects. I had a massive collection of Star Wars action figures: the Ewok village, the Y-Wing fighters, the Empire Strikes Back-era rendition of Han Solo, when he was wearing that awesome blue jacket. I collected Star Wars comics, Star Wars fan magazines, Star Wars T-shirts. I lost track of how many times I played through Shadows of the Empire on my Nintendo 64. In fifth grade, I had only one real goal in life: To write a series of books for the Star Wars Expanded Universe. The books were going to star Davin Felth, the stormtrooper who says “Look sir, droids!” in the first movie. (I can’t tell you why, exactly, I was so fascinated by such a minor character. Maybe it was his initials.)

What I’m trying to say is that Star Wars simply was my childhood. I didn’t have many friends, and I couldn’t play sports, so my obsession was splashed with a massive dollop of yearning. I wanted so badly to live in the Star Wars universe. Which meant that, for a young me, George Lucas was more than just my idol: He was a walking representation of transcendence.

And, as it happened, I wasn’t the only one who felt that way: When I was an adolescent, the God-Cult of George Lucas was a massive cultural force. There was a Star Wars exhibit at the National Air and Space Museum. You couldn’t walk through a philosophy section of a bookstore without seeing at least five books describing how Star Wars was a modern myth, how George Lucas was heavily influenced by Joseph Campbell, how Carl Jung was all over The Empire Strikes Back. Since the ’90s were a miserable time for sci-fi/fantasy movies — Lost in Space, Dragonheart, Wing Commander — the promise of more Star Wars films just over the horizon made Lucas seem (to my young, naive eyes) like the anointed savior of the cinema.

Like every other science-fiction-loving movie fan from my generation and earlier, I can pinpoint the specific day that I lost my innocence: May 19, 1999, the day Star Wars: Episode I — The Phantom Menace opened in theaters.

There was already an anti-George Lucas movement growing in the dark corners of the Internet after the 1997 Special Editions: You know, Greedo shooting first, that ridiculous Wampa costume, the bizarre choice to make the Sarlacc Pit look like a refugee from Little Shop of Horrors. But Episode I cemented a whole Star Wars counter-myth, best expressed in the eternal cry of the betrayed Star Wars fanboy: “George Lucas raped my childhood.” That’s a sentiment that returns to the spotlight every couple years, usually when a new version of Star Wars hits DVD with additional “corrections.” Certainly, it’s the most common response to the news — reported yesterday by EW — that the new Blu-ray version of Return of the Jedi will feature Darth Vader melodramatically screaming “Nooooo!”

Believe me, there is a big part of me that wants to join the chorus of betrayed fans. But why? Why am I so angry at the man who was responsible for some of the major formative moments in my existence? Studying various Star Wars encyclopedias was a gateway drug for enjoying actual genuine history books. Watching the films on repeat taught me basic film grammar. Star Wars made me love science-fiction, so I have to thank George Lucas for indirectly pointing me onwards to Philip K. Dick, to Iain M. Banks, to Robert Heinlein and Orson Scott Card and every other great S.F. author. George Lucas can’t do ruin my childhood, because my childhood already happened.

And that, I think, is why all the George Lucas hatred is fundamentally misplaced — and, in fact, why my initial gut-reaction (“Screw you, George!”) reflects much worse on me. The reason why our first response is to hate George Lucas is not because Lucas is ruining our childhoods. Far from it. Lucas is, perhaps accidentally, forcing us to admit two things: First, that our childhoods are over; and second, that the things we enjoy when we are children tend to be silly.

Because make no mistake: Star Wars is extremely, extremely silly.

I want to stress: Silliness is not a bad thing. Silly things can be important, and even profound. The first Star Wars film is a near-perfect work of propulsive silliness: funny robots and ninja-priests who speak from beyond the grave and big scary space-weapons that can blow up planets. The second Star Wars film is a genuinely perfect Hollywood entertainment, a work of narrative schadenfreude that merrily chops our beloved heroes down to size. And then there’s Return of the Jedi, which is basically an extended episode of The Muppets.

I’m not insulting any of these movies, but you have to understand that Star Wars is the rare long-running science-fiction series that doesn’t really have any Big Ideas at its core. The whole Light Side/Dark Side dichotomy is so vague that it could essentially apply to anything: The Cold War, the American political system, Pong. Lucas famously attempted to sprinkle a Big Idea into the Star Wars prequels — the rise of reactionary fascism in a republican democracy — but the metaphor was simultaneously too on the nose and too cluttered by narrative doggerel. The early movies don’t need Big Ideas. They are fun, and fun can never be overrated. (I guess you could argue that the “Idea” of Star Wars is just very elemental: “You should be a good person, because good is more powerful than evil.” But that’s not an idea; it’s a Sunday School lesson plan.)

But we have to stop confusing the fun of Star Wars with abstract notion of cinematic perfection. Unfortunately, we live in an era of nostalgia, and nostalgia makes everything look profound, especially the stupid things you enjoyed when you were a kid. Take Return of the Jedi. Jedi is a bad movie by every measure, but I loved when I was a kid, because when I was a kid I was much stupider than I am now, because kids are stupid. When I saw the Special Editions in theaters, the only tweak that bothered me was the deletion of “Yub-Nub” from the film’s finale. “Yub-Nub” is a terrible song. Kids are stupid. I purchased every issue of Kevin J. Anderson’s “Tales of the Jedi” cycle, even though the characters were all lame and the plot was pretty dull. Kids are stupid. Once, I put my finger on a lit stove just to see what it would feel like. Kids are stupid.

I’m reminded of an incredible section in Sir Alec Guinness’ memoir, My Name Escapes Me: The Diary of a Retiring Actor, in which he describes his feelings on the Star Wars franchise:

A refurbished Star Wars is on somewhere or everywhere. I have no intention of revisiting any galaxy. I shrivel inside each time it is mentioned. Twenty years ago, when the film was first shown, it had a freshness, also a sense of moral good and fun. Then I began to be uneasy at the influence it might be having. The first bad penny dropped in San Francisco when a sweet-faced boy of twelve told me proudly that he had seen Star Wars over a hundred times. His elegant mother nodded with approval. Looking into the boy’s eyes I thought I detected little star-shells of madness beginning to form and I guessed that one day they would explode.

Guinness was a real actor. He was in freaking Bridge on the River Kwai, a thrilling entertainment that is also a bitter, fascinating meditation on war. So we Star Wars fans should, perhaps, pay more attention to him than we typically do. Guinness begged the little fanboy to never see Star Wars ever again; when he wrote the memoir, he expressed his hope that the little boy, “now in his thirties, is not living in a fantasy world of secondhand, childish banalities.”

But in a way, that’s exactly what happened to popular culture. We’ve all become so obsessed with the notion that the original Star Wars films were perfect and wonderful and original, and mean old George Lucas just keeps on changing them. In turn, we all believe that the next great action-adventure franchise is just around the corner. When franchises disappoint us — when X-Men and Spider-Man and The Matrix and Pirates of the Caribbean all descend into big-budgeted inanity — we might be angry at the filmmakers, but we never stop to question our basic presumption: That big, dumb action trilogies can be anything more than big, dumb action trilogies.

I think that it is time to put away childish things. Time to admit that Star Wars — like fruit snacks and Nickelodeon — should perhaps be left behind in our adolescence. There is no shame in changing your mind about something, and come on, can you really trust someone who hasn’t evolved beyond a first-grade level? The reason why we hate George Lucas is because we are George Lucas: Eternally obsessed with putting a spit-shine on films from long ago, insisting that Star Wars is the modern myth, and so it can never stop evolving.

There will always be generations of children who love Return of the Jedi, but there should also be generations of adults who admit that Return of the Jedi is awful — yes, even without the added “Nooooo!” Star Wars was never perfect, and will never be perfect. That dream is already behind us. We will never be kids again, so maybe it’s time to just grow the hell up.

Follow Darren on Twitter: @EWDarrenFranich
I've never seen any of the series except for a little bit of the first prequel (and I thought it was boring), though I understand that quite a few people are upset about whatever Lucas is changing.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Post by Barbossa »

Nooooooo!!!!!

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/eGaSxSuB2vY" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Check out the comments on AintitCool:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51019

:roll:
SpringHeelJack
Platinum Edition

Post by SpringHeelJack »

I think we're pretty sure that the changes are real by this point, PixarFan2006. CERTAINLY the Yoda is real if only because they've been saying they were going to replace the puppet since 2005 or so.
"Ta ta ta taaaa! Look at me... I'm a snowman! I'm gonna go stand on someone's lawn if I don't get something to do around here pretty soon!"
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

The changes are real. Lucasfilm has confirmed the Vader change in Jedi.

I knew more changes were coming, but this one is worse than Greedo shooting first. It ruins the moment in Jedi. From the clip it also sounds like they removed Luke's plea to his father to help him.

There are more minor changes in Jedi as well that I've seen...

Spoilers below...

A dug is walking around Jabba's Palace while they are asleep, and the door to the Palace is now HUGE compared to previous versions of Jedi. Also when R2 gets shot more "things" pop out of him and lots of smoke comes out. Minor changes, but pointless ones.

So far the only change I actually like is the CGI Yoda in The Phantom Menace. We knew that was coming since the Revenge of the Sith DVD, and the puppet always looked out of place in that movie. I'm glad that's changed.

Anyway I've got a lot of mixed feelings on the Saga set now. I haven't ruled out getting them eventually, but the new changes (especially Vader's "NO. NOOOO!")... I doubt I'll pick these up on the 16th unless the price is a lot better than $90. I'm sure the deleted scenes (what I really wanted to see out of the Saga set) will be up on YouTube before that weekend is out.
ajmrowland
Signature Collection

Post by ajmrowland »

"Kids are stupid" adults are too.

Sequel, can you give me the link to the article?
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

I have been saving my $5 gift certificates for this release, which happens in just over two weeks.

I know that Lucas is doing everything he can to make money off this franchise and Season Three of "Clone Wars" comes out in the next couple of weeks also. The wallet is going to be awfully thin after the month of September.

However, the $89 price tag at Best Buy is one of the lowest and with my $30 dollars in Gift Certificates it won't hurt too badly. I really like the box that it all comes in, and since I have all the VHS tapes of those shows that are on Disc 9, I am happy to be able to get rid of those tapes.

I wish that one of the extras would have been the "Star Wars Holiday Special" that hasn't been seen since it was broadcast on CBS many years ago. I have a very poor SLP recorded version on VHS that I have transferred to DVD-R and am going to have to just be satisfied with that until he decides that it is part of the Star Wars Canon.
Last edited by dvdjunkie on Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

ajmrowland wrote:"Kids are stupid" adults are too.

Sequel, can you give me the link to the article?
I just followed the link from a tweet, so I don't know exactly where it is now.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
DarthPrime
Collector's Edition

Post by DarthPrime »

dvdjunkie wrote:I have been saving my $5 gift certificates for this release, which happens in just over two weeks.

I now that Lucas is doing everything he can to make money off this franchise and Season Three of "Clone Wars" comes out in the next couple of weeks also. The wallet is going to be awful thin after the month of September.

However, the $89 price tag at Best Buy is one of the lowest and with my $30 dollars in Gift Certificates it won't hurt too badly. I really like the box that it all comes in, and since I have all the VHS tapes of those shows that are on Disc 9, I am happy to be able to get rid of those tapes.

I wish that one of the extras would have been the "Star Wars Holiday Special" that hasn't been seen since it was broadcast on CBS many years ago. I have a very poor SLP recorded version on VHS that I have transferred to DVD-R and am going to have to just be satisfied with that until he decides that it is part of the Star Wars Canon.
Disc 9 looks great, but I wish From Star Wars to Jedi, and Empire of Dreams were included.

I highly doubt we will ever get a full release of the Holiday Special. From what I know it was shown once on TV, and that was it. Lucas hates it, and several people involved with it try to forget it even happened. I remember on Late Night a few years ago Conan showed Harrison Ford a clip from it, and Ford looked like he was about to run off the set. It was pretty funny. :) Honestly I don't blame them. Its a terrible special, but it would be nice to see it get a official release.

As far as the Holiday Special I thought this video was pretty funny this week... Good change of pace from all the "NO. Noooo!" spoofs that I saw.

<iframe width="560" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/M7yHsFk8LNI" frameborder="0"></iframe>
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Nostalgia Critic Reviews it. From what I saw.....it was....odd and I wouldn't care to own it for a lot of money or anything. Also I don't blame people for wanting to forget it. maybe it will be released as its own someday perhaps....idk....fro

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/videol ... 5087-swchr

disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Fox Trot had it right