CINDERELLA Platinum Edition DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

Lucylover1986 wrote:I'm going to go pick up my gift set later tonight. I called and went to quite a number of stores today but they were all sold out of the gift set. They said they barely recieved any copies of it. I finally located one and they're holding it for me. Hopefully no one will accidentally get a hold of it and buy it on me before I get there.
They had 2 copies left when I went. The one held for me and the one on the shelf. I just watched it and was very impressed by the great picture. Great to see the movie again. I gotta check out all the special features then tonight and tomorrow.
Barty
Limited Issue

Post by Barty »

MinnieMe
Special Edition

Post by MinnieMe »

I bought mine at Walmart in the two pack with the CD and I didn't receive a coupon book!! (well, the Disney Insider I guess is what you call it) I'm so mad! :x

I'll have to call Disney to get them to send me one. I definitely want the $3 coupon for Tarzan as I'll be picking it up as soon as it comes out.

Anyone else not get one from Walmart copies? Grrrrrr....

Magicalwands- mine had those lock things. I hate those! I didn't realize that some versions of the dvd have them and some don't. I'll have to check next time.

And does Best Buy always price match if you bring in an ad? I'll have to do that next time- I didn't realize they honored those and I hardly ever think of doing it anywhere! Now that I'm a Best Buy Reward Zone member I'll be getting all my dvds there and would love to take advantage of this :D
MadonnasManOne
Collector's Edition

Post by MadonnasManOne »

MinnieMe wrote:I bought mine at Walmart in the two pack with the CD and I didn't receive a coupon book!! (well, the Disney Insider I guess is what you call it) I'm so mad! :x

I'll have to call Disney to get them to send me one. I definitely want the $3 coupon for Tarzan as I'll be picking it up as soon as it comes out.

Anyone else not get one from Walmart copies? Grrrrrr....

Magicalwands- mine had those lock things. I hate those! I didn't realize that some versions of the dvd have them and some don't. I'll have to check next time.

And does Best Buy always price match if you bring in an ad? I'll have to do that next time- I didn't realize they honored those and I hardly ever think of doing it anywhere! Now that I'm a Best Buy Reward Zone member I'll be getting all my dvds there and would love to take advantage of this :D
I got mine at Best Buy, and am a Reward Zone member. They ALWAYS price match with an ad. I've even had them price match when I didn't have the ad. I'm not saying EVERY Best Buy will price match without an ad, but the one I go to has had no problem. If you have a Reward Zone membership, you'll also get whatever free item that Best Buy is promoting, even with the price match.

Mine also had the locks, which I hate. Also, I got the Disney DVD Insider, but I don't see any coupon in it. Are you all sure that the coupon is actually inside the DVD Insider?
Lucylover1986
Special Edition

Post by Lucylover1986 »

My Bambi DVD had the stupid locks. Not Cinderella though at least.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

The Gift Set

Post by Disney Duster »

I opened my gift set last night. It is BEAUTIFUL! It's absolutely GORGEOUS!

I already took some pictures. I'm planning on trying to take a lot, getting close-ups of the film frame and some of the pages of the Collector's Book. There is actually some information about this book I would like to reveal, but I want to save that for a review of the gift set which I am hoping that you, Luke, will let me help out with. My photos will not be digital, though. I will have to scan them. Will that be alright? Also, you will have to wait until the pictures are developed, which will take days.

Regardless of whether I help with the gift set review or not, I will try to post pictures for everyone on this site as soon as I can develope and scan them.
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

Can someone say how well are these Gift Sets selling? (and the rest of them of someone could find the info).

I ask because I find it strange that:

1) Disney decided on making them in the first place. Especially considering that this side of the world considers animation "kid's stuff". And as such, these gift sets would be bought by adults.

"You're only second rate!"
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:Can someone say how well are these Gift Sets selling? (and the rest of them of someone could find the info).

I ask because I find it strange that:

1) Disney decided on making them in the first place. Especially considering that this side of the world considers animation "kid's stuff". And as such, these gift sets would be bought by adults.
Evil Genie, that's why I'm so glad they're making them. All of the PEs have their share of kiddie fair, so it is only right that we Disney collectors get something special too! With Cinderella especially, the Set almost feels like a boost in the 'Backstage Disney' section, and makes up for the trash like EPSNClassic's "Cinderella Stories" or "The House of Royalty". I really hope they are selling well, and I think Cindy is, considering I purchased the 4th to last of the GS at Wal*Mart.

*tlm
Evil Genie Jafar
Anniversary Edition
Location: Humacao, Puerto Rico; there's more to PR than San Juan!

Post by Evil Genie Jafar »

I can't believe how well Cinderella's being doing.

I just checked dvdempire and Cinderella's #1 on sales since several days by now. A first I think for an animated movie.

And I think the same goes everywhere. Probably doing better than Bambi and much better than Aladdin :( .

"You're only second rate!"
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:I can't believe how well Cinderella's being doing.

I just checked dvdempire and Cinderella's #1 on sales since several days by now. A first I think for an animated movie..
Not bad at all for a 50-year-old traditionally-animated "chick flick". :D
Disney Duster

I've finally watched Cinderella on DVD

Post by Disney Duster »

Evil Genie Jafar wrote:I can't believe how well Cinderella's being doing.

I just checked dvdempire and Cinderella's #1 on sales since several days by now. A first I think for an animated movie.

And I think the same goes everywhere. Probably doing better than Bambi and much better than Aladdin.
I'm actually quite happy that Cinderella is doing so well! :D I must admit, though, that it's very sad that other Disney movies haven't done as well. But remember, Aladdin did not get as much marketing and advertising as Cinderella. When Aladdin didn't do as well as Disney hoped, I assume they learned their lesson and went all out for Cinderella.

Cinderella will always be my favorite movie, but the first time I watched it's restoration, I was so distracted by the huge difference between the DVD and the VHS versions that I couldn't enjoy the movie as much as I'd hoped. I really saw what Luke, Evil Genie Jafar, and others meant about the film being simple and not that great. But I have fond memories of the movie from childhood, and there are certain parts of the movie that just stick with me and make me feel very nice. A pumpkin chnaging into a coach will always be cool, and a fat cat's antics with mice will always make me smile, even if I can't laugh because I've seen it so many times.

The restoration actually makes the movie look alien to my memories. I know they recolored some(if not all) of the animation, because by observing carefully I can see that the recoloring job actually colored over some of the animation's outlines. It's especially evident in the scene where Cinderella tries to pick up her glass slipper, but the Grand Duke gets it before her. I actually am thankful the "A Dream Is A Wish Your Heart Makes" music video is on there with clips of the unrestored version. The video helped me see that Disney has altered my favorite movie. :(

But aside from that, I watched the whole first disc and I must say I'm rather disapointed. The menus on the first disc are, for the most part, animated well, but the music is so bad! "Cinderella Stories" does not belong in this release, and it would be better as a longer special on ESPN. The music videos were actually okay, and I enjoyed the sneak peeks for Lady and the Tramp, Cinderella III, and he Little Mermaid. I hope the second disc is better, though, in menus and bonus features.
Joe Carioca wrote:Not bad at all for a 50-year-old traditionally-animated "chick flick". :D
Cinderella is not a chick flick! I'm a boy and Cinderella is my favorite movie! Mice nearly getting killed by a huge, roaring cat. Pumkin's gettin' down with their orange selves as they tranform into a vehicle. A fierce race with guards galloping on black steeds, chasing a nearly floating coach. An angry, red-faced king hacking away at a duke with a sword. Add in a pyrotechnic show of white sparkles, and what've you got? An action-packed, special effects extravaganza!
musicradio77
Anniversary Edition

Post by musicradio77 »

Joe Carioca wrote:Not bad at all for a 50-year-old traditionally-animated "chick flick". :D
:lol:
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Re: I've finally watched Cinderella on DVD

Post by Joe Carioca »

Disney Duster wrote:
Cinderella is not a chick flick! I'm a boy and Cinderella is my favorite movie! Mice nearly getting killed by a huge, roaring cat. Pumkin's gettin' down with their orange selves as they tranform into a vehicle. A fierce race with guards galloping on black steeds, chasing a nearly floating coach. An angry, red-faced king hacking away at a duke with a sword. Add in a pyrotechnic show of white sparkles, and what've you got? An action-packed, special effects extravaganza!
I don´t think it is a chick flick either (hence the brackets), even though I admmit it has more appeal to girls than boys. I was trying to be ironic, since a lot of people (dumb executives included) think that a old-fashioned traditionally-animated film doesn´t sell.
Disney Duster

Cinderella's Disc 2

Post by Disney Duster »

Did you realize that in the actual film, the word "princess" isn't even uttered at all? I'm annoyed that Cinderella's DVD has those House of Royalty and Princess Pajam Jam features on it. Isn't the Pajama Jam something ported over from one of those Princess Part DVDs? That's pretty sad. Cinderella's whole release seemed borrowed. The images on the disc art weren't even original(the mice on the art for disc 2 were taken from the second Cinderella VHS release cover). But I actually liked how they didn't cover the whole discs with artwork, it's unique.

I really liked the second disc's menus better than the first disc's. The mice and pumpkin changing in the beginning was cool to me. The music in the backgrounds of the menus is still bad like on the first disc, though. :roll: