High School Musical Schenanigans ?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Spottedfeather
Gold Classic Collection

High School Musical Schenanigans ?

Post by Spottedfeather »

I hate musicals so I've never seen and will never see High School Musical. But I have seen the little videos in between shows. One video in particular, What I Been Lookin' For, has weirded me out a little. If I'm correct, and I usually always am, the two characters played by Ashley Tisdale and Lucas Grabeel, are supposed to be brother and sister, right ? If they are, isn't What I Been Lookin' For a bit of a strange song for a brother and sister to sing together ? I mean, considering what the lyrics say. Am I alone in this ?
Think about this. Once bread becomes toast, you can't make it back into bread.
The Little Merman
Anniversary Edition

Post by The Little Merman »

Well, they were only singing the song that was given to them -- one from the musical they where auditioning for.

It's not like they where secretly expressing their incest.

... Or, were they?

The world may never know the secret of Sharpay and Ryan.

*tlm
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

TheLittleMerman wrote:Well, they were only singing the song that was given to them -- one from the musical they where auditioning for.

It's not like they where secretly expressing their incest.

... Or, were they?

The world may never know the secret of Sharpay and Ryan.

*tlm
Yeah, I agree, they are auditioning for a play so they are playing "characters" not themselves in this supposed musical/play they are doing for the school... however some people do find the supposed relationship between Sharpay and Ryan to be kind of weird. I wasn't bothered by it and thought it was really cute that they had found something to do together really well as brother and sister.
Pluto Region1, Disney fan in training
sambadude
Gold Classic Collection

Post by sambadude »

What on earth are you talking about? Have you actually read the lyrics? I'm guessing you haven't so here they are:

Ryan:
It's hard to believe
That I couldn't see

Together:
You were always there beside me
Thought I was alone
With no one to hold
But you were always right beside me

Sharpay:
This feelings like no other

Together:
I want you to know

I've never had someone that knows me like you do
the way you do
I've never had somone as good for me as you
no one like you so lonely before i finally found
what i've been looking for

Sharpay:
So good to be seen
So good to be heard

Together:
Don't have to say a word

Ryan:
For so long I was lost
So good to be found

Together:
I'm loving having you around

Ryan:
This feeling's like no other

Together:
I want you to know

I've never had someone that knows me like you do
The way you do
I've never had someone as good for me as you
No one like you
So lonely before, I finally found
what I've been looking for

Nothing in these lyrics suggest anything about incest. It could simply be viewed as a song about finding a good friend...which could just happen to be your sister.

Don't comment on movies you haven't even seen. Especially when your comments are totally off base.
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

sambadude wrote:What on earth are you talking about? Have you actually read the lyrics? I'm guessing you haven't so here they are....
Don't comment on movies you haven't even seen. Especially when your comments are totally off base.
That' was a bit harsh. :( This is not a place to come and flame people for asking questions....

Seeing the movie might have made a difference for this person but they were commenting on the interstitials the Disney Channel is playing so based on that, and what little knowledge he/she had, I think it's a perfectly acceptable question. Some people who've seen the movie have even commented that they thought the relationship between them was a little odd.

We've all misunderstood things before. If we react to everyone that gets something confused (and I've come here to this board to ask many a stupid or confusing question), people will be afraid to post. Let's try and be a bit more charitable to our fellow UDers, ok?

Best thing to do is if someone gets under your skin, just don't post in that thread or respond.
Kram Nebuer
Anniversary Edition

Post by Kram Nebuer »

Pluto Region1 wrote:Best thing to do is if someone gets under your skin, just don't post in that thread or respond.
Well put, Pluto Region1! That's what I do. There have been a number of replies to me that ticked me off, but I choose to just ignore it so not to start a bandwidth wasting debate on some petty argument. As Escapay said that Luke said (paraphrased) "Posting should be used for good, not evil."

Anyhow, I thought Ryan and Sharpay were twins who just loved acting together. We did find it a bit odd that they were the leads in all the school productions since they were kids. I don't think Disney meant for viewers to think that way for the movie. It was just a part of their characters the writers probably oversaw.

Also, the song in question was indeed part of the show that the characters are auditioning for. Some may say that since the movie itself is a musical, all the songs are not only for the movie's musical but for the musical itself. This sounds plausible, but the song in question certainly does not apply. In the movie, Sharpay and Ryan had the song arranged by their pianist to sound more peppy, musical like. They were simply just performing. When the two leads of the movie sing it, it is quite obvious that they're what each other have been looking for.

Another thing, the style that Ryan and Sharpay sing it does not imply romance at all.
<a href=http://kramnebuer.dvdaf.com/>My ºoº DVDs </a>
Pluto Region1
Special Edition

Post by Pluto Region1 »

Kram Nebuer wrote:
Well put, Pluto Region1! That's what I do. There have been a number of replies to me that ticked me off, but I choose to just ignore it so not to start a bandwidth wasting debate on some petty argument. As Escapay said that Luke said (paraphrased) "Posting should be used for good, not evil."
Although I've noticed that things can get pretty "wild" with lots of personal attacks over in the "other topics" section; I try to steer clear of those debates since I come here to enjoy the company of everyone, not fight with them.
Kram Nebuer wrote:Anyhow, I thought Ryan and Sharpay were twins who just loved acting together. We did find it a bit odd that they were the leads in all the school productions since they were kids. I don't think Disney meant for viewers to think that way for the movie. It was just a part of their characters the writers probably oversaw.
I thought it was refreshing to see a sibling team getting along so well and having found something they like to do together.
Kram Nebuer wrote:In the movie, Sharpay and Ryan had the song arranged by their pianist to sound more peppy, musical like. They were simply just performing. When the two leads of the movie sing it, it is quite obvious that they're what each other have been looking for...Another thing, the style that Ryan and Sharpay sing it does not imply romance at all.
I need to watch the movie again; I've only seen it the one time at the theater and missed alot of the nuances. but I think once someone sees the movie, it is hard to see the brother sister relationship as anything but a brother and sister who found something they enjoy doing together. I really like the whole angle about how they always are the star of the plays every year.
The Lizard King
Special Edition

Re: High School Musical Schenanigans ?

Post by The Lizard King »

Spottedfeather wrote:If I'm correct, and I usually always am, the two characters ...
Sheesh. Talk about your mega egos... :lol:

TLK 8)