Mary Poppins Returns

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Mary Poppins Returns

Post by D82 »

I didn't notice the images in the gallery I posted a link to before had captions. In the first photo the caption reveals the title of one of the film's songs:
Jack the lamplighter (Lin-Manuel Miranda) leads the three Banks children — Annabel (Pixie Davies), Georgie (Joel Dawson), and John (Nathanael Saleh) — and Mary Poppins (Emily Blunt) through the streets of London in the big musical number, “Trip a Little Light Fantastic.”
Source: http://ew.com/movies/mary-poppins-retur ... st-height/

DisneyJedi wrote:Bottom of the ocean...?

Funny, that was originally going to be in the original Mary Poppins, but it was reused for Bedknobs and Broomsticks. :?
It’s true! I immediately thought of Bedknobs and Broomsticks when I read that part. And they’re repeating the penguins too.

I’m not surprised there will be animation in the film, because it seems they’re replicating all the elements that are characteristic of the original film: Lin-Manuel Miranda’s character replaces Bert, the scene with the lamplighters looks very similar to Step in Time, etc. I hope it’s 2D, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it was 3D.

justcuttinhair wrote:So, this film takes place 20 years after the first story...and Mary has not aged at all? Would have been more believable and easy to digest if Blunt was playing the role as an older version of the character.
Well, Emily Blunt is almost 10 years older than Julie Andrews was when she performed the character. I believe she was 25, and Emily Blunt is 34 now. But this sequel is set 25 years later, so I'm not sure if Mary Poppins is meant to be older in this version or not. I've never read the books, does she age in them? As she has magical powers, I wonder if she doesn't age the same way as normal people do.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I can't remember, is this a musical? If so, it's too bad the Sherman Bros. couldn't be involved. I'd love if, since DisneyJedi mentioned it, if "Anything Can Happen" or "Practically Perfect" could've been lifted from the musical to this.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I've only read the first Mary Poppins book but I don't think she ages so that part doesn't really bother me.

The bottom of the ocean part reminded me of Bedknobs and Broomsticks as well and I'm excited for the Big Ben scenario. I'm not sure how I feel about seeing more animated penguins. I realize they're a pretty iconic part of Mary Poppins but I don't feel the need for a repeat of them. I'd much rather see a new adventure than a retread of what was in the original film.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

justcuttinhair wrote:I just can not get excited about this film...as a fan of the original..I just can not see how they think that they can recreate that kind of magic. Also, how can you honestly even look at it as a companion piece to the original film in the fact that....Emily Blunt and Julie Andrews look nothing alike and I just can't buy into a "sequel" that is made 50 years after the first. So, this film takes place 20 years after the first story...and Mary has not aged at all? Would have been more believable and easy to digest if Blunt was playing the role as an older version of the character. With so many wonderful young adult novels, childrens books, original ideas out there...why are we rehashing this? I think I could have been behind an all-out remake of the original film versus this hog-wash.
I share many of your concerns. The deeper we get into these modern Disney reboots or re-imaginings, the more I can't help but wonder if the claim that Disney's trying to re-brand isn't true?

Despite that, I fully expect this film to make a billion dollars the same way the Beauty and the Beast remake did. A lot of "fans of the title" kind of fans out there it would seem to Disney's great fortune.
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Emily Blunt based her Mary Poppins on another surprising movie
http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/08/emily-b ... spiration/

JeanGreyForever wrote:I've only read the first Mary Poppins book but I don't think she ages so that part doesn't really bother me.
Thanks for the answer. I've read the synopses of the eight books in the series on Wikipedia and they all feature Mary Poppins and the Banks children. Jane and Michael aren't shown as adults, I guess that was invented for the movie. As it doesn't seem to be a big leap in time like in this film, I suppose the books don't give an answer to that.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, it has been confirmed Julie won't be in it. :( :( :(

At least Julie's reason is extremely classy and graceful. So much props and respect to to her!

http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/09/mary-po ... ow_twitter
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ Well, I guess now it's official that she won't have a cameo in the film.

Here are more new articles:

How Lin-Manuel Miranda’s Mary Poppins sequel character connects to Dick Van Dyke
http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/08/mary-po ... -van-dyke/

Here's what the Banks family is up to in Mary Poppins Returns
http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/08/mary-po ... ks-family/

Inside Rob Marshall’s vision for Mary Poppins Returns
http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/09/mary-po ... ll-vision/

Emily Blunt and Lin-Manuel Miranda already had their Mary Poppins pinch-me moments
http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/09/emily-b ... e-moments/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney AND Pixar artists? That doesn't sound right. Does this mean it's going to be CG? I wish they'd clear this up already. I doubt either studio is working on the sequence. It's probably outsourced to a small, indie studio comprised of former Disney and/or Pixar animators.
An animated musical number

Long live the penguins! The four dapper dancing birds return for a musical number that finds Mary and Jack leading the Banks children into an animated world inside a Royal Doulton bowl where, surprise, a grand music hall performance is about to take place. Veteran Disney and Pixar artists are already at work animating the well-dressed antelopes, polar bears, gazelles, and conductor orangutans who populate the cartoon Victorian opera house, where Jack and Mary tap onstage alongside the real stars of the show: the four hoofing penguins named after Astaire, Hardy, Grant, and Chaplin.
Source: http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/12/mary-po ... e-homages/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

Yeah this needs to be cleared up. :|
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I asked the guy who wrote the article and he said it's going to be 2D. Where do Pixar artists figure in though, I don't know.
Q: Do you know if the animated sequence and characters will be 2D or CG?

A: Traditional hand-drawn!
Source: https://twitter.com/MarcSnetiker/status ... 8926349314
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I asked the guy who wrote the article and he said it's going to be 2D.
That's great news! :D

Sotiris wrote:Where do Pixar artists figure in though, I don't know.
According to IMDB the animation department of the film is comprised of the following artists:

Animation Department
James S. Baker ... storyboard artist
Jim Capobianco ... animation sequence supervisor
Ketki Gokhale ... character rigger
James Woods ... character designer
Source: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5028340/ful ... f_=tt_ql_1

Jim Capobianco and James S. Baker work or have worked at Pixar and James Woods at Disney Animation.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

^Why would they need a rigger if the characters are 2D?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Maybe some elements are in 3D or it's made in the style of Paperman. Or maybe it's a mistake, IMDB isn't always a reliable source.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Yeah, IMDb isn't reliable. Maybe they included animators doing VFX in there. I know that the Canadian studio Framestore is handling the VFX for the movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ Yes, that's also a possibility.

More news: Meryl Streep will have her own song in the film.
Streep gets her own song, penned by Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman, when she welcomes her young guests to her world, which is lived almost entirely in upside-downs and opposites.
Source: http://ew.com/movies/2017/06/12/mary-po ... character/
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Jim Capobianco worked in the story department at Walt Disney Animation before he was hired by Pixar. He was also responsible for the 2D end credits in WALL-E. He directed the short "My Friend the Rat", which has hand-drawn sequences in it, and directed this hand-drawn short film about Leonardo da Vinci.

I think when the article says "Veteran Disney and Pixar artists", it means artists who have worked at those studios. Not necessarily that the studios themselves are working on the sequences.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Im not surprised they brought the penguins back and they'll be the centerpiece animated element in the film. Penguins are one of those animals Hollywood deems marketable b/c of their cuteness.

Im glad there will be an animated sequence though and that it will have some 2d elements to it, I just hope it verges on the 2d more than the CGI. Maybe they are using the Paperman technique, though I have no idea why it would be so difficult to just get some traditional animators to do a small sequence by hand. They could certainly use the work.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:Jim Capobianco worked in the story department at Walt Disney Animation before he was hired by Pixar. He was also responsible for the 2D end credits in WALL-E. He directed the short "My Friend the Rat", which has hand-drawn sequences in it, and directed this hand-drawn short film about Leonardo da Vinci.
I knew he directed "My Friend the Rat", but I didn't know or remembered he also worked on these other projects. He has a lot of experience with hand-drawn animation then. The da Vinci short is great, and it's beautifully animated.

estefan wrote:I think when the article says "Veteran Disney and Pixar artists", it means artists who have worked at those studios. Not necessarily that the studios themselves are working on the sequences.
Yes, it's probably that.

unprincess wrote:Maybe they are using the Paperman technique, though I have no idea why it would be so difficult to just get some traditional animators to do a small sequence by hand. They could certainly use the work.
They could've given the job to the remaining 2D artists at Disney, given that they don't know what to do with them. Besides, they're some of the best in their field.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:They could've given the job to the remaining 2D artists at Disney, given that they don't know what to do with them. Besides, they're some of the best in their field.
They're having them give "how to draw" lessons at the D23 Expo now. :eyebrow:
Disney animators, including Eric Goldberg and Mark Henn, will show aspiring artists “how to draw” throughout the weekend.
Source: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/2 ... altin-John
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ :facepalm: What will be next? Don't get me wrong, I think it's a nice activity to inspire future artists, but Disney doesn't ask other famous CG artists to do the same. They are too busy doing more important things.