Don't buy Incredibles from Disney Direct (Okay, now you can)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Don't buy Incredibles from Disney Direct (Okay, now you can)

Post by Luke »

I just wanted to point this out since it's not the most clearly-listed thing on the site. Disneydirect.com is offering lithographs and pins and a plush and stuff when you preorder <i>The Incredibles</i> on DVD.

But there's a big catch. They're only selling the fullscreen version of the DVD. This is apparently in stores and online. Does it make sense to you? It doesn't to me. The widescreen version has been a top seller on Amazon.com and elsewhere. Why Disney would want to ignore that altogether and merely sell the chop/crop version is beyond me.

If you don't mind losing 40% of the picture or having drastic reformatting, then go right ahead.
Last edited by Luke on Wed Mar 16, 2005 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

MAAN! :(

Luke, do you know if there's any way we could get the other things (plush, lithos) AND get widescreen??
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

RJKD23 wrote:MAAN! :(

Luke, do you know if there's any way we could get the other things (plush, lithos) AND get widescreen??
It doesn't look like it. Maybe if enough people e-mail/call to complain, they might offer it the way they did with <i>The Lion King</i> Gift Set, when they weren't selling that with the extra stuff. But it seems they might have expected that since widescreen DVDs frequently outsell fullscreen, and this DVD will probably sell more copies than any other in 2005.
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Luke, are you positive that they're only in fullscreen? There's no other option?!
Cheers,
JM :thumb:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Just Myself wrote:Luke, are you positive that they're only in fullscreen? There's no other option?!
Yes. You can check the website for yourself, and an e-mail from them confirmed it.
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

This is f*cked up. I HATE DISNEYDIRECT!!!! :x :evil: :x :evil:

BTW, I doubt it will sell the most copies than any other movie this year. We've still got National Treasure and other soon-to-be blockbusters on DVD this year.
Cheers,
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

Does anyone know if this is the case at the Disney Store as well?
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Just Myself wrote:BTW, I doubt it will sell the most copies than any other movie this year. We've still got National Treasure and other soon-to-be blockbusters on DVD this year.
I'm sure <i>National Treasure</i> will perform well on DVD, but it hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of outselling <i>The Incredibles</i>. <i>The Incredibles</i> grossed $90 million more than <i>National Treasure</i>, which is even more when you take into account that it probably had more lower-priced children's tickets. (Both were rated "PG", but animation inherently draws more of a "family" audience.)

Then consider that "family" films (read "Disney animation") typically sell a lot on home video due to their nature, regardless of reviews and box office gross. The only 2004 film not on DVD yet which outgrossed <i>The Incredibles</i> is <i>Meet the Fockers</i>. While I'm sure that film will sell well, its $20 million or so box office advantage will certainly be eliminated by the fact that <i>Incredibles</i> is critically-acclaimed, "Pixar", "Disney", and an audience favorite. In fact, if children paid full price, I suppose <i>The Incredibles</i> would have outgrossed <i>Fockers</i>.

As for 2005's films, there will certainly be some summer blockbusters on DVD before year's end, such as the latest <i>Star Wars</i> film, <i>War of the Worlds</i>, and the new <i>King Kong</i>. But right now I don't think any of them except <i>Star Wars</i> could compete with <i>The Incredibles</i> sales-wise, and the last time Pixar went head-to-head with Lucas, <i>Monsters, Inc.</i> sold 3.7 million copies more than <i>Attack of the Clones</i>. Films like <i>The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe</i> and the new <i>Harry Potter</i> won't be out on DVD until 2006.

The last Pixar film became the top-selling DVD of all time. Even with a non-holiday release, <i>The Incredibles</i> should be tough to top, I think.

As for the Disney Store, I'm not sure. Here's what they said in an e-mail:
While The Incredibles DVD will be released in both the wide and
full-screen version, Disney catalog and Disneydirect.com will be
carrying only the full-screen version. We hope that this meets your
needs and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
DreamerQ18
Anniversary Edition

Post by DreamerQ18 »

Ugh :roll: man that does suck. Anyone know why they are selling both the formats sepreatley? Why can't it be like Fiding Nemo and Monsters Inc. which have the otption of wide screen or full screen? This does not seem like a smart move for DIsney Direct esepcially since last we know they wanted to up their pre-orders. (Not Smart at all).
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

Luke wrote:The only 2004 film not on DVD yet which outgrossed The Incredibles is Meet the Fockers.
:shock: Meet The Fockers. :shock:

Sometimes I wonder. I really do. How could such an act be possible?
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

Wow... did not know that Meet the Fockers did so well. :o

Anyway, Disney can be ridiculously stupid. I'm hardly surprised they pulled something like this. :roll:
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

Luke wrote: the new <i>King Kong</i>.
For the record -- Kong is due in theaters in December with a DVD release next year, much like Jackson's LOTR previously.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Mushu2083
Special Edition

Post by Mushu2083 »

And Disney feels the need to do this because......? That's a serious marketing boo-boo on their part. I wonder if someone told them that fullscreen DVDs outsell widescreen. Do they really think they can get away with this? I'd rather just get the widescreen DVD at Wal-Mart.
Dragon, not lizard. I don't do that tongue thing.

Lilo: I'm not touching you!
Stitch: TOUCHING ME!
Just Myself
Platinum Edition

Post by Just Myself »

Luke wrote:
Just Myself wrote:BTW, I doubt it will sell the most copies than any other movie this year. We've still got National Treasure and other soon-to-be blockbusters on DVD this year.
I'm sure <i>National Treasure</i> will perform well on DVD, but it hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of outselling <i>The Incredibles</i>. <i>The Incredibles</i> grossed $90 million more than <i>National Treasure</i>, which is even more when you take into account that it probably had more lower-priced children's tickets. (Both were rated "PG", but animation inherently draws more of a "family" audience.)

Then consider that "family" films (read "Disney animation") typically sell a lot on home video due to their nature, regardless of reviews and box office gross. The only 2004 film not on DVD yet which outgrossed <i>The Incredibles</i> is <i>Meet the Fockers</i>. While I'm sure that film will sell well, its $20 million or so box office advantage will certainly be eliminated by the fact that <i>Incredibles</i> is critically-acclaimed, "Pixar", "Disney", and an audience favorite. In fact, if children paid full price, I suppose <i>The Incredibles</i> would have outgrossed <i>Fockers</i>.

As for 2005's films, there will certainly be some summer blockbusters on DVD before year's end, such as the latest <i>Star Wars</i> film, <i>War of the Worlds</i>, and the new <i>King Kong</i>. But right now I don't think any of them except <i>Star Wars</i> could compete with <i>The Incredibles</i> sales-wise, and the last time Pixar went head-to-head with Lucas, <i>Monsters, Inc.</i> sold 3.7 million copies more than <i>Attack of the Clones</i>. Films like <i>The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe</i> and the new <i>Harry Potter</i> won't be out on DVD until 2006.

The last Pixar film became the top-selling DVD of all time. Even with a non-holiday release, <i>The Incredibles</i> should be tough to top, I think.

As for the Disney Store, I'm not sure. Here's what they said in an e-mail:
While The Incredibles DVD will be released in both the wide and
full-screen version, Disney catalog and Disneydirect.com will be
carrying only the full-screen version. We hope that this meets your
needs and we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
Luke, dude, all those films you mentioned will kill this , and I'll say why:
1. Monsters and Nemo were excellent. This was good, maybe great, but nowhere near excellent and that was the average audience reaction.
2. Most of the audience was repeat viewers. Kids always take their friends to the movies after they've seen them. If this didn't have repeat audiences, NT and MTF would have beat it by at least $50 million.
Cheers,
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

That's a bummer cause I was going to buy it from DisneyDirect.com
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Just Myself wrote:Luke, dude, all those films you mentioned will kill this , and I'll say why:
1. Monsters and Nemo were excellent. This was good, maybe great, but nowhere near excellent and that was the average audience reaction.
2. Most of the audience was repeat viewers. Kids always take their friends to the movies after they've seen them. If this didn't have repeat audiences, NT and MTF would have beat it by at least $50 million.
And <i>Meet the Fockers</i> and <i>National Treasure</i> didn't have repeat audiences? Of course they did. You yourself saw <i>National Treasure</i> several times, I think.

Can you clarify the "all those films you mentioned" part? Because I'd like to be able to bold them when the end of the year sales numbers come in and they're looking up at <i>The Incredibles</i>. Thanks! :)
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

Don't know how many of you have a Wal-Mart close by, but they will be offering an Incredibles plush character (don't know what the choices will be yet) with the purchase of "The Incredibles" on March 15. They also will be selling it for $16.87.

Those who want to spend a little more money can pre-order their copy at Suncoast Motion Picture Company for $19.99 and receive, along with a $3.00 discount coupon on next visit, a cell with a scene from the movie. Something they always do with all of the Disney animated releases.

Me, I will probably go to Wal-Mart, they always have something neat to give away with Disney films and I have quite a collection of things from them.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
RJKD23
Platinum Edition

Post by RJKD23 »

dvdjunkie wrote:Me, I will probably go to Wal-Mart, they always have something neat to give away with Disney films and I have quite a collection of things from them.

:roll:
Really? Wal-mart gives stuff away?! That never happened to me! :(
Although the DVDs do sell for $14.87 here...but still ya know.

Well, I'm hoping either Best Buy or Circuit City will be offering a plush or some giveaway! :D
Image R[APRIL.23]K: High School Sweethearts
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

dvdjunkie wrote:Don't know how many of you have a Wal-Mart close by, but they will be offering an Incredibles plush character (don't know what the choices will be yet) with the purchase of "The Incredibles" on March 15. They also will be selling it for $16.87.
I'm not sure if I have a Wal-Mart close by (the only one I've ever been to was the one at the Orange Mall in Orange County) but if there is... and I find out about it, I'm definitely getting it there. I want a plushie. Hope it's cute. :lol:
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
Jungleprince_55
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Jungleprince_55 »

I'll probably get it from disney direct anyway with the lithos,plush,& pin ONLY because i was planning on getting widescreen and fullscreen anyways because pixar reformats their films for fullscreen and i like to have both.

I am also EXTREMELY P!$$3D that they didn't put both on one release like all of pixars other films,so now i have to buy the movie twice just to get both versions.

And i ALWAYS usually get widescreen for movies when i can but for pixar movies i like to have both,so i'll be preordering it from disney direct and getting the widescreen version when it comes out but i'm not too happy about it!