The Golden Girls Season 2 DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Escapay wrote:Aaron, I think there's a mistake in your review.

About Empty Nest, the season 2 finale was an entirely different "Empty Nest" than the one that actually became a series. The "Empty Nest" that did spin-off from Golden Girls was about the recurring character Dr. Harry Weston, and his daughters. And of course, his dog Dreyfuss. The characters often crossed over from Empty Nest to Golden Girls.

IIRC, Empty Nest ran from 1988-1995, so it was during the GG's third season (1987-1988) that they introduced the characters.

Escapay
Escapay, your facts are right, but I think I explained that in my review in pretty much the same way you just did:
In my review, I wrote:Golden Girls gave birth to several spin-off shows, the first and most successful of which was <i>Empty Nest</i> in its second season, capitalizing on the show's initial popularity. As you might have guessed from the title, this episode serves not only as the <i>Golden Girls</i> second season finale but also as the pilot for <i>Empty Nest</i>. As such, the majority of the episode focuses on Renee (Rita Moreno), one of the girls' friends who feels alone with her children off at college and her husband, Dr. George Corliss (Paul Dooley), always at work. On the advice of her friends, Renee decides to take her "empty nest syndrome" to her husband, but her concerns fall on deaf ears. The remainder of the episode is spent following these two new characters and largely takes place in their home. Renee is presented as if she’s always been part of the show, leaving viewers feeling a bit lost. It's really much more boring than it is funny; the highlights are the scenes that (randomly) incorporate the <i>Golden</i> characters, who live just down the street. It's probably for this reason that the creators ditched this concept and when Empty Nest premiered as its own series a year and a half later, it featured a new cast, premise, and pilot. Only two things remained the same: David Leisure, who stuck around from this episode to the new series, although it was as a different character, and the presence of the four girls, especially Sophia (who would join the <i>Empty Nest</i> cast for its last two years). The spin-off went on to become popular, but as this episode neither concludes the second season of this show or truly launches the new one, it's a bit of a disappointment, but is part of the <i>Golden Girls</i> canon nonetheless.
:?

By the way, this season two episode of <i>GG</i> ("Empty Nest") is considered the pilot of <i>Empty Nest</i>, even though it had very little in common with what later became that series. In that sense, this episode is a cross-over, a finale, and a pilot all in one, and that's why it is considered to have spun-off of season two, even though it didn't get its own timeslot until <i>GG</i> was in season <u>4</u>, actually, not 3 (October 1988- the beginning of Season 1 of <i>EN</i> and S4 of <i>GG</i>).

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

awallaceunc wrote:
Escapay wrote:Aaron, I think there's a mistake in your review.

About Empty Nest, the season 2 finale was an entirely different "Empty Nest" than the one that actually became a series. The "Empty Nest" that did spin-off from Golden Girls was about the recurring character Dr. Harry Weston, and his daughters. And of course, his dog Dreyfuss. The characters often crossed over from Empty Nest to Golden Girls.

IIRC, Empty Nest ran from 1988-1995, so it was during the GG's third season (1987-1988) that they introduced the characters.

Escapay
Escapay, your facts are right, but I think I explained that in my review in pretty much the same way you just did:
In my review, I wrote:Golden Girls gave birth to several spin-off shows, the first and most successful of which was <i>Empty Nest</i> in its second season, capitalizing on the show's initial popularity. As you might have guessed from the title, this episode serves not only as the <i>Golden Girls</i> second season finale but also as the pilot for <i>Empty Nest</i>. As such, the majority of the episode focuses on Renee (Rita Moreno), one of the girls' friends who feels alone with her children off at college and her husband, Dr. George Corliss (Paul Dooley), always at work. On the advice of her friends, Renee decides to take her "empty nest syndrome" to her husband, but her concerns fall on deaf ears. The remainder of the episode is spent following these two new characters and largely takes place in their home. Renee is presented as if she’s always been part of the show, leaving viewers feeling a bit lost. It's really much more boring than it is funny; the highlights are the scenes that (randomly) incorporate the <i>Golden</i> characters, who live just down the street. It's probably for this reason that the creators ditched this concept and when Empty Nest premiered as its own series a year and a half later, it featured a new cast, premise, and pilot. Only two things remained the same: David Leisure, who stuck around from this episode to the new series, although it was as a different character, and the presence of the four girls, especially Sophia (who would join the <i>Empty Nest</i> cast for its last two years). The spin-off went on to become popular, but as this episode neither concludes the second season of this show or truly launches the new one, it's a bit of a disappointment, but is part of the <i>Golden Girls</i> canon nonetheless.
:?

By the way, this season two episode of <i>GG</i> ("Empty Nest") is considered the pilot of <i>Empty Nest</i>, even though it had very little in common with what later became that series. In that sense, this episode is a cross-over, a finale, and a pilot all in one, and that's why it is considered to have spun-off of season two, even though it didn't get its own timeslot until <i>GG</i> was in season <u>4</u>, actually, not 3 (October 1988- the beginning of Season 1 of <i>EN</i> and S4 of <i>GG</i>).

-Aaron
Sh*t, I must've only read the first half of that review. :oops:

It would've been cool, though, to see how the first Empty Nest would've turned out.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Guru
Platinum Edition

Hi

Post by Disney Guru »

I know where I can get the complete set of Golden Palace on dvd for $30 lol. So I can wait for the show to come out on dvd.
"I have this tremendous energy. I just loved and love life. I love it today. I never want to die."
~Jayne Meadows Allen~
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Hi

Post by Escapay »

Disney Guru wrote:I know where I can get the complete set of Golden Palace on dvd for $30 lol. So I can wait for the show to come out on dvd.
Hook me up, DG. I'm impatient, lol.

Escapay
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
thegoldengirlsbiz

Post by thegoldengirlsbiz »

awallaceunc wrote:Thanks!

Also, the @ccess Golden Girls (of UD's own thegoldengirlsbiz) reports that Lifetime has put up a petition for its viewers to sign for them to air <i>The Golden Palace</i>, which ran for one season after GG. Hopefully this will get aired; it will undoubtedly do well and my hope is that it will encourage Buena Vista to release the series to DVD, although I can't imagine that they would do it until after all 7 seasons of GG are out. Anyways, here's the petition:

http://www.lifetimetv.com/shows/golden/petition/

-Aaron
Thanks a lot for sharing that here, Aaron. In the UK we've seen The Golden Palace around 5 times in the past year or two so I'd be delighted to see it aired on Lifetime - or released to DVD. I know how much American fans of GG are desperate to see this :)

I haven't bought my copy of The Golden Girls Complete Second Season on DVD. I'm doing okay...*twitch* :D I'm being extremely patient and waiting until it's released here on August 1st - thankfully I have them all on tape to keep me occupied until then, hehe. Great job on the review by the way, Aaron :up: A friend in the UK received his copy on Saturday and took some shots of the sleeve so I could put them up on the site.

Sam
@ccess The Golden Girls
www.thegoldengirls.biz
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Escapay - No worries. I know you're busy down at WDW anyways.

Sam - Thanks! And no problem- Lifetime obviously wants it to be considered if they are hosting the petition on their site, and of course it isn't going to be hard to get a lot of sigs, so I think we'll see it happen!

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Robin Hood
Anniversary Edition

Post by Robin Hood »

I Just Picked Up My Copy Today :D
- Jonathan
thegoldengirlsbiz

Post by thegoldengirlsbiz »

awallaceunc wrote:Lifetime obviously wants it to be considered if they are hosting the petition on their site, and of course it isn't going to be hard to get a lot of sigs, so I think we'll see it happen!
I have heard that LifetimeTV plan to show The Golden Palace late summer. I think it was leaked by someone who has access to Lifetime's press room. Generally he's always right with his predictions. TV Tome also say the same on their GG section.

I think Lifetime are just going through the motions, really, to get as much publicity as possible for it, which makes sense. They'll want a lot of viewers for this - and they'll get them! I imagine they've already decided to show it, regardless of the petition.

Sam
@ccess The Golden Girls
www.thegoldengirls.biz