Pixar's Cars moved to summer 2006

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Hennie
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hennie »

Walt Disney and Pixar have announced that they are moving the release date of Pixar's upcoming animated feature film, Cars, from November 2005 to June 9, 2006. Dick Cook, chairman of The Walt Disney Studios said, "The move from November 2005 to June 2006 makes perfect sense. Cars is the quintessential summer film for audiences of all ages... In the vein of Finding Nemo, we feel the movie will have legs throughout summer and beyond". Pixar CEO Steve Jobs said, "Cars longs to be a summer movie. We plan to finish Cars on its original schedule, and look forward to Cars and our future films benefiting by summer theatrical releases and holiday DVD releases". Release dates in other countries have also been set for summer 2006 - France on July 12, Germany and Switzerland on July 13, the UK and Spain on July 14, Japan on July 15 and Italy on September 1.

http://animated-news.com/
thatartguy
Gold Classic Collection

Post by thatartguy »

As Mr. Burns would say, "Eeeeeexcellent."
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Well, that kinda bites that there won't be a Pixar movie next year and that we'll have to wait an additional 5 months for <i>Chicken Little</i>. Delays are usually not a good sign for films, but hopefully that time will be devoted to making things sharper than what we've seen thus far.

I'm sure <i>Cars</i> will make more money in theaters as a summer release. And that extends Disney / Pixar's relationship an additional six months now.
JiminyCrick91
Platinum Edition

Post by JiminyCrick91 »

:( no!!!!! i dont wanna wait! Puls i just dont feel right seeing a pixar movie in teaters dering summer even with finding nemo i felt funny! oh well :(
Ciaobelli
Special Edition

Post by Ciaobelli »

NOOOOOOOO :cry: :cry: :cry:

lets hope this means that relations are gonna last longer.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

According to the press release I just linked to on the front page, <i>Cars</i> is still going to be done on schedule for next November. Which means that this is purely driven by the desire to get more out of a summer theatrical / holiday DVD release. Pixar films have always been a highlight of the fall season for me. (<i>Nemo</i> being the obvious exception.) But I guess with <i>The Incredibles</i> looking like it will fall short of $300 million, compared to <i>Shrek 2</i>'s $440 million...it makes sense for them to do this. Now Disney's 1-2 punch for next holiday season will be <i>Chicken Little</i> and <i>The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe</i>. That looks like it could be quite the powerful duo not unlike <i>The Incredibles</i> and <i>National Treasure</i> this year.
Jack
Collector's Edition

Post by Jack »

While it does stink that we have to wait longer to see both Cars & Chicken Little, it really will be for the benefit of both. In the case of Cars, it will almost certainly perform better. CL has reportedly been undergoing problems with the story in production, so hopefully, the extra time will allow some kinks to be worked out.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

This really bites I really wanted to see Pixar's Cars in November 2005... :(
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

Isn't Eisner leaving in 2oo6?

If he is, that would mean that the next Pixar movie would be scheduled for summer 2oo7 so mmm by then Disney might STILL be distributing them if they came to agreement before that....
reyquila
Anniversary Edition

Post by reyquila »

I'll see it anytime and anywhere. It will be as excellent as The Inredibles.
WDW Trips: 1992,1997,2005,2006, 2007, 2008, 2009-10 (Disney's Port Orleans-Riverside), 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and 2022.
Disneyland Trips: 2008 (Disneyland Hotel) and 2016
Disney Cruises: 2007, 2010 (Wonder) and 2012 (Dream).
My Disney Movies http://connect.collectorz.com/users/peluche/movies/view
2099net
Signature Collection

Post by 2099net »

This demonstrates why it will be hard for Pixar to get a major studio as a distributor. Pixar obviously wants to maximise the sales potential of their films, and has found summer releases to benifit not only the cinema audience, but also the festive DVD sales. The problem is, Fox or Warner or whoever is going to want to maximise the sales potential of their own films!

No studio is going to want to release a Pixar product in such a peak period instead of their own family film. Not when Pixar are reportedly asking for a much greater share of the income (and its even rumoured, all the profits once a single flat distribution fee it taken by the studio).
Most of my Blu-ray collection some of my UK discs aren't on their database
Leon
Limited Issue

Post by Leon »

Ooh, now I will have to wait more! :( :(
Rebel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Rebel »

the glaring issue to me is why postpone Chicken Little??

if a summer release is better than a fall release then why postpone a movie scheduled for summer?

what is Disney going to put into theaters in place of Chicken Little in July? it is not like they will have time to make a new movie for the empty slot. would it not be better to release Chicken Little in July when box office returns are higher and then just have one less movie in the fall?

I wonder whether Chicken Little is behind schedule and Disney didn't want to put Chicken Little up against Cars, so they arranged to postpone Cars
Little Red Henski
Special Edition

Post by Little Red Henski »

Rebel wrote:what is Disney going to put into theaters in place of Chicken Little in July? it is not like they will have time to make a new movie for the empty slot. would it not be better to release Chicken Little in July when box office returns are higher and then just have one less movie in the fall?
Maybe Disney is planning a big release for Howl's Moving Castle in July.
saving107
Gold Classic Collection

Post by saving107 »

a day after Disney decided to move "Cars" from its November 2005 release date to June 9, 2006 because of a Higher Profit during the summer, Dreamworks announced that they will move Shrek 3 from its November 2006 to a May 2007 date.

i find it funny that Dreamworks announced the same thing that Disney did, they want a summer release for a higher profit and a DVD in time for the Holidays. i wonder if they decided after Disney's announment or if they were thinking of this before.
deathie mouse
Ultraviolet Edition

Post by deathie mouse »

More and more Dreamworks sems to be to Disney/Pixar what Microsoft/Windows is to Apple/MacOS :roll:

I think i'll never buy Shrek cus they are bugging me no end. :P

I have HighDefinition pics of Shrek that would prove my point that Blue-Ray is gonna be hugely better than DVD but i refuse to post them on principle :P
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

saving107 wrote:a day after Disney decided to move "Cars" from its November 2005 release date to June 9, 2006 because of a Higher Profit during the summer, Dreamworks announced that they will move Shrek 3 from its November 2006 to a May 2007 date.

i find it funny that Dreamworks announced the same thing that Disney did, they want a summer release for a higher profit and a DVD in time for the Holidays. i wonder if they decided after Disney's announment or if they were thinking of this before.
You know, I thought you were kidding, but that's just lame. Hey DreamWorks, get some originality. Even your delays are ripped off from Pixar!

It's like Katzenberg is reading off Jobs and Cook's comments in the Disney/Pixar press release. :roll:
orestes.
Anniversary Edition

Post by orestes. »

I don't mind the wait.... maybe by 2006 I will have someone to go and see it with. I have actually never seen a Pixar movie in theatres since I have had no one to go with and I refuse to go alone because that's no fun at all.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

USA Today has an article that sums up the three computer animated movie delays here:

http://www.usatoday.com/money/media/200 ... ated_x.htm
USA Today wrote:Iger says he "feels great" about <i>Chicken Little</i>. In addition, he says, Disney has four computer-animated films in development, including <i>Toy Story 3</i>.
I wonder what the other three he is considering are, perhaps <i>A Day with Wilbur Robinson</i>, <i>American Dog</i>, and <i>The Wild</i>?
Jens
Special Edition

Post by Jens »

Luke wrote:I wonder what the other three he is considering are, perhaps <i>A Day with Wilbur Robinson</i>, <i>American Dog</i>, and <i>The Wild</i>?
The Wild is being made by CORE, so I don't think they see that as an in-house production... I think I heard that they're already working on Rapunzel...
The Disney Database - All the Disney magic in 1 site!