Hayao MIYAZAKI Wave 2 DVDs (Feb 2005) Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

Is it just me, or do the covers look like slip covers?
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
boss
In The Vaults

GHIBLI...GHIBLI...GHIBLI...GHIBLI...

Post by boss »

Well I just logged on here just so I could post in this thread... IT'S ABOUT TIME!, I am gettin tired of waiting!. :evil:

I am new to all this "anime?" stuff but I have become quickly hooked with my kids for MORE! Myiazaki films, I have always liked Disneys own stuff but I think I have become bored with it after 30+ years.

The Myiazaki storys seem to get/keep my (and my kids) interest more, they are just so diffrent. I don't care what Ghibli movies Disney offers, I WILL buy what ever I can get my hands on. I just hope Disney does them justice with how they put them together regardless of what movies they are because I will be CHOKED! if they don't. :D

I hope Disney does not change dates again and just gets more of the Ghibli product out on the market. Waiting till febuary is going to be a drag. :lol: :D
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Re: GHIBLI...GHIBLI...GHIBLI...GHIBLI...

Post by littlefuzzy »

boss wrote:I am new to all this "anime?" stuff but I have become quickly hooked with my kids for MORE! Myiazaki films, I have always liked Disneys own stuff but I think I have become bored with it after 30+ years.:D
You might be interested in a couple of Miyazaki titles that aren't from Disney:
Panda! Go Panda! is a very cute children's show.
Sherlock Hound is a fun TV series following the exploits of Sherlock Holmes and Watson, as dogs.
Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin the 3rd) is an adventurous romp, although it may not be appropriate for children, depending on their ages.
Princess Mononoke is from Buena Vista, although it has quite a bit of intense action and violence, so again, it may not be appropriate for children.

There are some other Studio Ghibli titles available, such as Grave of the Fireflies.
MickeyMousePal
Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMousePal »

I'm thinking of getting all three when they come out on DVD in Feburary 2005!!! :D

I just need to get Castle in the Sky before it goes out of print. :wink:
The Simpsons Season 11 Buy it Now!

Fox Sunday lineup:

8:00 The Simpsons
8:30 King of the Hill
9:00 Family Guy
9:30 American Dad

Living in the 1980's:
firefly

Post by firefly »

I love the Miyazaki films. I think the art work is fantastic and am looking forward to the release of the next 3 films in February. :)
boss
In The Vaults

Post by boss »

littlefuzzy wrote: You might be interested in a couple of Miyazaki titles that aren't from Disney:
Panda! Go Panda! is a very cute children's show.
Sherlock Hound is a fun TV series following the exploits of Sherlock Holmes and Watson, as dogs.
Castle of Cagliostro (Lupin the 3rd) is an adventurous romp, although it may not be appropriate for children, depending on their ages.
Princess Mononoke is from Buena Vista, although it has quite a bit of intense action and violence, so again, it may not be appropriate for children.

There are some other Studio Ghibli titles available, such as Grave of the Fireflies.
thanx, I just bought Panda! Go Panda! for my smallest one earlyer this year, she loves it and I got Catnapped on order for her too now. I did not know about Sherlock Hound, I will have to check into it.

So far I have managed to find and buy 7 of his films and am looking forward to buying more of his (feel good) films.

Does anyone here have any info on when possibly the time frame of the new film Howls moving castle may becoming to north america?

I hope that Disney will put out there version of the Totoro film soon also, I would happily buy it again too, my kids and wife really like that one.

here's a pic of some art that one of my girls made for me, they got a bunch of art made up of his films.
Last edited by boss on Fri Nov 19, 2004 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
boss
In The Vaults

A Big Disney Fan

Post by boss »

firefly wrote:I love the Miyazaki films. I think the art work is fantastic and am looking forward to the release of the next 3 films in February. :)
Looks like my wife is hooked to lol :lol:
littlefuzzy
Anniversary Edition

Post by littlefuzzy »

boss wrote:here's a pic of some art that one of my girls made for me, they got a bunch of art made up of his films.
Wow, how old is she? That is great art!
boss
In The Vaults

Totoro art

Post by boss »

Hi littlefuzzy, that was done by one of my twins when she was 10. I am very happy that my kids get inspired to draw by disney and Ghibli movies. I showed them this pic on the net and they got all hyped up over it, now they all want to see one of there drawings on the net so here goes, I hope people here don't mind. :)

my 6yr old girl

11yr old twin B

11yr old twin A
Last edited by boss on Sun Nov 21, 2004 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Nice work, boss's kids!
"Fifteen years from now, when people are talking about 3-D, they will talk about the business before 'Monsters vs. Aliens' and the business after 'Monsters vs. Aliens.' It's the line in the sand." - Greg Foster, IMAX chairman and president
dvdjunkie
Signature Collection

Post by dvdjunkie »

What is the big deal with Japanese Anime'?? I don't see it. Why do people think that because Disney distributes it that makes it Disney. As far as I am concerned the animation is terrible and the stories are mostly a waste of time. It could be an age thing with me, but Japanese Anime looks more like stick cartoons on Saturday monings. The only Japanese Anime' that I own in my collection is "Spirited Away" and it wasn't the animation that sold me, it was the story.

If I ever bought into this Japanese Anime' thing, my collection would soar. Thank goodness for me and my pocketbook that I don't get the big deal with it.

:roll:
The only way to watch movies - Original Aspect Ratio!!!!
I LOVE my Blu-Ray Disc Player!
castleinthesky
Anniversary Edition

Post by castleinthesky »

dvdjunkie wrote:What is the big deal with Japanese Anime'?? I don't see it. Why do people think that because Disney distributes it that makes it Disney. As far as I am concerned the animation is terrible and the stories are mostly a waste of time. It could be an age thing with me, but Japanese Anime looks more like stick cartoons on Saturday monings. The only Japanese Anime' that I own in my collection is "Spirited Away" and it wasn't the animation that sold me, it was the story.

If I ever bought into this Japanese Anime' thing, my collection would soar. Thank goodness for me and my pocketbook that I don't get the big deal with it.

:roll:
Well I believe that anime can be bad, just like American animation. The Studio Ghibli films have a beautiful picture as well as a great score. The movies also have great stories. I love the Ghibli movies because they are fascinating. They make me a part of the movie. The plots are instrumented in a way like no other, at many times better than Disney(always better than Dreamworks :lol: ) Hey, if you don't like it, it's your opinion and I fully respect that.
Best Movies of 2009:
1. Moon
2. Inglorious Basterds
3. The Hurt Locker
4. Coraline
5. Ponyo
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

That's very understandable, dvdjunkie. There's such a vast array of animé that's produced - from quality to fluff, from sickly sweet kiddie stuff to gratuitously violent adult films - that it's pretty hard for someone on the outside to weed their way through it. ;)

Some UDers 'round here think I'm an animé nut, when in fact I've barely skimmed the surface of the stuff. What I'm most interested in is Studio Ghibli - that's where Spirited Away, as well as other Miyazaki films, originated from. Disney had the good fortune to strike it right in the animé arena - Hayao Miyazaki is often considered to be a Japanese Walt Disney, and all of his films have a surprising amount of quality and creativity to them, all for different reasons. And since Disney can distribute but cannot, by contract, alter any of the Ghibli films, we know we're seeing the entire film Stateside, and that's a big relief to fans. So, to me at least, it's not just because Disney has its name attached that people flock to it - it's because the film are good films!!
But anyhoo, the Ghibli stuff is often considered in a league of its own - it's far from any Pokémon or Sailor Moon. :roll: Yes, the Ghibli animation is still a bit awkward - not as stilted as much of the cheaper TV animé fare, but it still usually has the "odd" character design quirk of big eyes and mouths. The stories in Ghibli films transcend any animé stigma or previous assumptions though, in my opinion. One reason why a few people are upset that My Neighbor Totoro was bumped is because that's arguably Miyazaki's most charming and magical film to date. It's quite memorable - destined to be a classic. Besides Spirited Away, have you seen any of the other Ghibli/Miyazaki films? Princess Mononoke is powerful, Kiki's Delivery Service is quite charming, and Laputa is an interesting, multi-faceted adventure. In February, there'll be even more classic Miyazaki to find - Nausicaä is still a milestone and a favorite.

So, if you haven't, you should check out those films and see what you think. Totoro is available on VHS and DVD from Fox - it's dubbed and in fullscreen, but it's available in some form here, at least. ;) Hope I haven't hyped the films too much - but they are quite different from the standard animé crap that's infested TV, that's for sure. :thumb:
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
boss
In The Vaults

This is my story and I am sticking to it LOL

Post by boss »

dvdjunkie wrote:What is the big deal with Japanese Anime'?? I don't see it. :roll:

Hi dvdjunkie, you know I was saying the same thing about 7-8+ months ago also and I still don’t get it either lol :roll: . In the past I use to spend time with my kids on Saturday mornings watching cartoons with them and I noticed too much pokeymon/digimon/sailormoon, I just did not get it?. The animation just seemed cheap/crapy, as if they where just taking short cuts with all of it. Today it seems like most newer tv cartoons all have some type of anime look to them. The local blockbuster and rogers vid stores here now even have there own (busy at times) anime shelfs/sections as do other local businesses and I have been hearing more people talk about it at work (where we do lots of Disney projects) on how good some of this stuff is (like spirited away)… SO about 8 months ago I desided I would dive into it and see for my self why do so many people like this stuff. I have rented a lot of it since then and I can honestly tell you it is NOT all the same, some of it is just to hard to follow and the animation on some of it is like watching a slide show lol, poor imo… that being said…

IMO the Myiazaki films seem so much different than most the other “anime” stuff I seen, I don’t know if it is fair to group this stuff all together. To me there is something (not sure what) in Myiazaki films that reminds me of the older classis Disney films which I like better than some of the newer style Disney films that all seem to have a different/same style of (block?, not sure what?, can’t put my finger on it) animation. I grew up with Disney movies and love most all the classics but I have never really got into the newer stuff. My wife has collected most Disney films (old and new) and My kids seem to watch the older stuff more for what ever reason.

I find that my family and I are more hooked on the detailed storys Myiazaki is trying to tell in some of his films, I feel the bizarre different imaginative storys is what really makes his movies worth seeing. If I had any complaint of Myiazaki films it would be that I wish the character movment would be a bit more fluid… but his storys and overall excellent detail in his films more than make up for any complaint I may have with some of them and most importantly his storys/detail seem to catch the imagination of my kids.

I am NOT knocking Disney in any way, they have some excellent stuff but in my case I think after 30/40 yrs my wife and I have had our fill of mickey mouse (and similar topics) for a while which is why my family and I also really love all the new fresh! cool Stuff coming out from Pixar. I have seen/heard some people complain about Disney buying the rights to the Miazaki films but the FACT! Is there could be NO! better company to represent his films in this part of the world. The people at Disney must have also seen something very special about the ghibli films also and I am sure Disney is super happy about distributing his work.

Anyway we are going with the flow and enjoying this excellent new (to us) Ghibli stuff, but there is still alot of other "anime" stuff that just is not that good.

oops... sorry for the long post. :D :oops: :lol:
boss
In The Vaults

Post by boss »

Paka wrote:Besides Spirited Away, have you seen any of the other Ghibli/Miyazaki films? Princess Mononoke is powerful...
My two older kids really like that movie a lot, I got lots of those pics lol... sorry for the pic lol :D

Anyone want to take a guess on which movie this is from? lol :)

joel89

Post by joel89 »

Hi. Does anyone know when the UK releases are likely to be? I have no idea what the time-lag normally is to our backwards, distant island kingdom.
Or I could just find me a multi-region player...
boss
In The Vaults

holy cow!

Post by boss »

joel89 wrote: I could just find me a multi-region player...
Hi joel, this might be your best bet. On another note I have heard that the new Ghibli film Howl's Moving Castle will be shown in france in january or there after, maybe it might be worth taking the chunnel to see his new flick lol :D .

Checking in on this thread has really got me suprized on how many views it has got on it... there MUST be some people interested in his stuff lol :) , maybe the Studio Ghibli fans are the strong silent type lol... just like Totoro lol :D
Key
Special Edition

Post by Key »

castleinthesky wrote:Is it just me, or do the covers look like slip covers?
It's not just you. I guess we'll ave to wait and see, though.

As for anime, there are different types made for different demographics. Most of it is made for children (as in elementary through middle school kids--even if said anime was based off a manga whose intended demographic was, say, teenage girls, chances are that the anime counterpart would still be for the kiddies) but I think that Miyazaki's stuff (and Studio Ghibli stuff in general) is made to appeal to everyone (especially the "family").

So yeh, there's some downright shitty stuff but there are also diamond in the roughs (case in point, most of Studio Ghibli's productions). I guess if the animation style doesn't appeal to you, though, there's really no helping it... :wink:
Wherever. Whatever. Have a nice day.
boss
In The Vaults

excellent point!

Post by boss »

Key wrote:I guess if the animation style doesn't appeal to you, though, there's really no helping it... :wink:
Hi Key, this is an excellent point!

My wife gives me crap when I tryed to compare Disney films with Ghibli films and I have found that I got more into his films when did NOT try to compare them because they are totaly diffrent styles. The more my family and I looked at his films with out trying to group/compare styles to other animated films, the more we like them and the more Ghibli films we wanted to see.

This was one of the problems of me even renting a Ghibli film at first, because I thought is was "anime" and I expected to see a "pokymon" style of film... boy was I ever wrong lol. :)

I even made the mistake of thinking the simple dvd cover art (like Totoro) did not look that great so I thought the movie would stink... boy... WAS I WRONG!!! lol :oops:

If it were not for my bad opinons on "anime" in general in which now I know there are diffrent types, I really wish I could have taken my kids to see his films on the big screen.
BokuNoKuki

Post by BokuNoKuki »

Nausicaa and Porco Rosso are great films, and I'm looking forward to seeing them on DVD, but I was really wishing for Totoro the most. I have versions of all three films on fansubbed VHS, but they're a few generations away from the masters and you really have to be a fan to watch them. My two year old loves Panda Kopanda, which we watch in Japanese, and sat through the blurry Totoro tape (in three half-hour sessions), but that's no way to really enjoy it. Fox's dubbed version with no extras is unacceptable, and Disney's delay is a real bummer.