Bambi - now not so eager for the DVD

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Tony
Gold Classic Collection

Bambi - now not so eager for the DVD

Post by Tony »

I have been eagerly awaiting this DVD, but after just watching it on VHS, I'm not so sure that I am as excited as I used to be. The majority of this movie certainly has some of the best animation that Disney has ever produced, but the story (as far as I'm at least concerned), is well.... boring.

Yes, the characters are cute and I think that Thumper steals the show, but when I was watching this I was waiting for something that would capture my imagination... even the forest fire wasn't that fantastic. The "April showers" song is great, but the rest of the music isn't much at all. Maybe I'm spoilt after buying the fantastic Sleeping Beauty DVD ??.. Has anyone else seen Bambi 'recently' that may have some comments ?
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I watched it around last Christmas and I found the story most engaging, so I can't really see your viewpoint. In fact, around the same time I watched Cinderella, Lady and the Tramp, and Sleeping Beauty...and Bambi was just far and away the one that most connected with me.
Cinderelly
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cinderelly »

Tony, don't feel bad. I've had a similar experience with watching Bambi recently. I remember loving it as a child but watching it as a 21 year old just doesn't have the same affect as it did when i was younger. I can't explain why and i hate that i don't see it as great as i remembered. It is still a beautifully done film but i do agree that it is a tad bit boring. Sad but true. I still am eagerly looking forward to the platinum release though.
Inigo: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Inigo: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
jesus_brer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jesus_brer »

i saw it for the first time sept. 1 2003, pretty good also love the song "april showers"!!
:mickeyface: :goofy: :donald:
*i love Jesus
*i love disney dvds
*i love my peeps
*i love me

DISNEY DVD's
songofthesouth.net {get this classic on dvd}
Lisney34

Post by Lisney34 »

I cant wait for this DVD, it was my first disney movie and its been one of my favorites. I find the story very interesting, like an animated nature movie. O and the owl is one of the funniest charecters ever. :)
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

Maybe Bambi just isn't suited for today's incredibly short attention spans... :roll:

Yes - I like the film. There's a reason why it's synonymous with the word Disney. I'd really like to get that Masterpiece Collection tape sometime - my old BD is pretty worn out. I'm still very upset that they're making a cheapquel, though - didn't those thick-headed suits at Disney get any kind of message from the SNL cheapquel spoof Bambi 2002?? How ironic that they're actually making one... :evil:
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
indianajdp
Anniversary Edition

Post by indianajdp »

While I understand exactly what you're saying I wholeheartedly disagree in regards to Bambi. For me, however, I had this happen with The Rescuers. I loved this movie as a kid and we bought the VHS but never watched it. I have seen it a lot on DVD with my daughter the last couple months and while I still do like it it's nowhere near my favorite Animated Classic anymore.

Guess it kinda wore off somewhere along the way.
Last edited by indianajdp on Mon Oct 20, 2003 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
" There's no Dumbass Vaccine " - Jimmy Buffett
BasilOfBakerStreet427
In The Vaults

Post by BasilOfBakerStreet427 »

Don't worry,my attention span is normal level.Bambi is still good after 61 years.
G'Day!
My DVD Collection

Miracle 2/6/2004
Home On The Range 4/2/2004
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

well Bambi deserves to be on dvd!!!

if Jackass, the osbournes, and Adam Sandler movies are available on dvd out there, why wont be a piece of art like Bambi released?
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
Cinderelly
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Cinderelly »

I doubt it has anything to do with short attention spans. I enjoy documentaries about intercellular immunological syndromes (i'm a pre-med major :roll: ). Not to mention i have a 3 hour classe regarding the different origins and evolutionary pathways of development animals and their appendages (vertebrates in particular). I really don't think having issues with Bambi has anything to do with short attention spans.

Those types of documentaries/films are much more exciting to me than Bambi was the second time around. It's not that i don't like Bambi, i do. It's just that it doesn't hold up to the memories that i had of it as a child (unfortunate, really).

In addition, i whole-heartedly agree that Bambi should be released to DVD. The minute it is available for pre-order i will get it. Just b/c its not one of my fav disney movies doesn't mean that i don't want it on DVD. In fact, i'm rather excited about the potential for extras and such.
Inigo: I do not mean to pry, but you don't by any chance happen to have six fingers on your right hand?
Westley: Do you always begin conversations this way?

Inigo: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you.
Westley: You seem a decent fellow. I hate to die.
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

People think that Bambi is childish, but IMO is a very adult and serious movie. It talks about life, growing up, death, etc. And as a piece of animation is superb!!!!

About the music, I like Love is a Song very much.

Of course Bambi deserves to be on DVD!! NOW!!!
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

Chernobog wrote:Of course Bambi deserves to be on DVD!! NOW!!!
:twisted:
My words exactly! :wink:
quasi72
Gold Classic Collection

Post by quasi72 »

To me (and I repeat, TO ME...) the story in Bambi is not the most important aspect of the film. It is a cute simple story. However, it is the bouquet of feelings and emotions what atract me the most. I absolutely adore Bambi. I cannot wait for it to be on DVD, with a 2 cd set, please.
The animation is outstanding. The detail in the expressions, the movement. The color patterns, and of course, the layouts and backgrounds. The characters are so Disney: the owl, Thumper, Flower.
How about the music? it's one of my ultimate favorite soundtracks.
Walt Disney always said that this was probably his favorite film of all.
I love this movie, although it is only 63 minutes long. It makes me laugh, it keeps me thrilled, it makes me cry. IT IS LIFE ITSELF IN AN HOUR FILM. Those deer, those birds, those rabbitts, they all are beautiful and meaningful representations of human beings.

It is a moving painting. It is art. It's just Bambi.
Sanctuary! Please, give me Sanctuary!
Chernobog
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Chernobog »

quasi72 wrote:I love this movie, although it is only 63 minutes long. It makes me laugh, it keeps me thrilled, it makes me cry. IT IS LIFE ITSELF IN AN HOUR FILM. Those deer, those birds, those rabbitts, they all are beautiful and meaningful representations of human beings.

It is a moving painting. It is art. It's just Bambi.
I COMPLETELY agree with you, paisano!. :wink:
Matty-Mouse
Special Edition

Post by Matty-Mouse »

I have to say I used to feel the same way about Bambi (it was slow and boring). But since I got back into Disney animation I wonder why I felt like that. The animation (as you said) is probably the best Disney ever created. I love the way the film reveloves around the seasons. The only thing I have to say bad about this film is that the forest fire scene is still rather slow (considering its the movies climax). Apart from that its a great film.
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?
Dust? Anyone? No?

Well thats actually low in fat so you can eat as much of that as you like.
michelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by michelle »

although not a favourite of mine, the watercolours and visuals in Bambi really stand out in my mind...and the story was simple and sweet considering Bambi is (was?) the animated feature with the fewest lines of dialog...

Even Andrew Stanton wanted Finding Nemo to be an 'underwater Bambi'.

Hopefully you'll see Bambi in a new light after reading this thread. :)
D o w n . t h e . r a b b i t . h o l e . . .

W h e r e . d o e s . i t . g o ?
quasi72
Gold Classic Collection

Post by quasi72 »

Michelle,
I absolutely adore your avatar. It is soooo cute!
:)
Sanctuary! Please, give me Sanctuary!
michelle
Gold Classic Collection

Post by michelle »

oOo...thank you...

it's actually a part of this kick-ass disney puzzle i own...
mickey buffs will recognise the The Band Concert (1935) to The Brave Little Tailor (1938) in the little wheelie thing...(I know its a bit small)

And you can spot the Aristocats and the Sword in the Stone in the bottom!
D o w n . t h e . r a b b i t . h o l e . . .

W h e r e . d o e s . i t . g o ?