The Lion King DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

You may be right. I don't remember at all - will check out my video tonight to confirm. It's definitely not in the "Special Edition" one.

Thanks. And thanks for letting me know about the Elephant Graveyard change.
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Luke wrote:You may be right. I don't remember at all - will check out my video tonight to confirm. It's definitely not in the "Special Edition" one.

Thanks. And thanks for letting me know about the Elephant Graveyard change.
It is in the "Special Edition". But it is in the end credits. After the end credits, actualy.
You're wellcome! :)
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Okay, but on the original theatrical release (the real one, not the fake one), it was at the beginning, you're saying?
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Luke wrote:Okay, but on the original theatrical release (the real one, not the fake one), it was at the beginning, you're saying?
Yes.
Original (real and fake): Beginning
Special Edition: Ending

:)
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

- re-animation of Mufasa's appearance in the clouds
What was changed in this scene, exactly? :?:
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

Joe Carioca wrote:
- re-animation of Mufasa's appearance in the clouds
What was changed in this scene, exactly? :?:
The effect has just been altered - it's tough to describe; a picture (which should be coming soon) will help.
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

Wasnot just that scene that have changed.

A lot of scenes has been change, but, is hard to find the changes if you don´t watch the old version and the new one at the same time.

( i really prefer the old one version of the movie, i don´t like these changes)

Hey joe, did you perceived the "translation problems" in our edition of the dvd? example when you put the "singin along" track (portuguese) in the music "can you feel the love tonight"?

If you look carefully, will know that our version are full of these little problems in the translation.

Some one here have the brazilian edition of the lion king? is good to remeber that all brazilian disney dvds works in american players, because it are both encoden region 1 and 4.

Thiago
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

Hello Thiago! Welcome to the boards! :eye:
Well, I don't know about the problems with the translation on our DVD, because I bought the R1 release (just because of the box set), but I'm not really surprised with this traslation problems. I've also heard that they didn't even bother to subtitle the new "Morning Report" song. :roll:

I think the version on the DVD is gorgeous to look at, but still, I can't forgive they didn't include the real original version in it. I know some changes were for the better (like the waterfalls) but I want the film I saw in theaters in 1994. The thing that bothers me the most in the new version are the ending credits. They go by so fast that it is almost impossible to read them. At least the "Beauty and the Beast" DVD had the scenes with the original backgrounds and animation, and the ending credits weren't changed (on the original version).
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

Joe Carioca wrote:Hello Thiago! Welcome to the boards! :eye:
Well, I don't know about the problems with the translation on our DVD, because I bought the R1 release (just because of the box set), but I'm not really surprised with this traslation problems. I've also heard that they didn't even bother to subtitle the new "Morning Report" song. :roll:
You is a smart guy! (and rich too! if i had 200 reais, i also want this version too, but how the money are short, i need to "hold" our 50 reais version.
What you said of the morning report is true, ther "forgot" to subtitle this song.
Joe Carioca wrote:I think the version on the DVD is gorgeous to look at, but still, I can't forgive they didn't include the real original version in it. I know some changes were for the better (like the waterfalls) but I want the film I saw in theaters in 1994. The thing that bothers me the most in the new version are the ending credits. They go by so fast that it is almost impossible to read them. At least the "Beauty and the Beast" DVD had the scenes with the original backgrounds and animation, and the ending credits weren't changed (on the original version).
The credits are really irritatiting, i simply hate this new credits: too fast, to short (the letters), ....

And the thing that make me more irritatde is: the both version of the movie can be at the dvd using the "angle" option, because you can choose the "image" via the "angle" command, so, if you want to see the original image of 1994, you can use the angle command, but they don´t make it.

Im sending to you a PM with a e-mail that i wrote to the girl that write the brazilian subtitles in the brazilian dvd, read that and tell me your opinions.

OK

Thiago
Last edited by ThiagoPE on Wed Oct 22, 2003 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

last night while I was watching the TLK 3 trailer again I was thinking that could have been interesting an alternate whole new comentary track by Timon andd Pumba, just imagine it, could have been son cool!! :lol:
I'ts enough for this restless warrior just to be with you...
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

PheR wrote:last night while I was watching the TLK 3 trailer again I was thinking that could have been interesting an alternate whole new comentary track by Timon andd Pumba, just imagine it, could have been son cool!! :lol:
that is a great idea.

PheR, there the mexican dvds comes with brazilian audio? here all (with some little exceptions) dvds from disney comes with the mexican audio track, and i love to watch the movies in spanish.

Ond bad exception was the lion king, i really want to watch it in spanisn, but the brazilian release are just with brazilian track and english (the interesting is in the disk 2, it are with the mexican tracks! very odd it!)

Thiago
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

I love your avatar Thiago!!!!

well... most of the mexican Disney releases (at least the most recent ones), and even the non-disney dvds have the portuguese track, but this Lion King doesn't (like the brazilian doesn't include the mexican track), I think that's because of the DTS track.... anyway, only the disc 2 has portuguese.

isn't it funny that the both of us are using english? :lol: :lol: :lol: well, I don' speak portuguese :D
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

hehehe,

quiz challenge: from where i get my avatar? you´re right, was from disney latino site.

Did you see that: the disc 2 is the same for mexico and brazil, but just the disc one are diferent. may be because the dts track (there which track are in dts? the english or the spanish track? here is the english track).

Hehehe, i admit that i don´t know how to write in spanish, but i can understand it a little. i love the latin version of the disney musics (the latin version of beauty and the beast are 10 times better than the brazilian version.)

OK

Thiago
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

ThiagoPE wrote:You is a smart guy! (and rich too! if i had 200 reais, i also want this version to, but woh the money are short, i need to "hold" ou 50 reais version.
Hey, Thiago, I wish I was! :)

ThiagoPE wrote:Im sending to you a PM with a e-mail that i wrote to the girl that write the brazilian subtitles in the brazilian dvd, read that and tell me your opinions.
I've just read your message, and I will contact you later (now it is too late), so we can chat more about Disney. Still, even with the problems, I'm quite happy with the Brazilian release of TLK... I mean, we got a DTS track (a first for a Brazilian DVD) and all the extras from the second disc are subtitled, and not dubbed (as far as I've read), like the infamous "Monsters, Inc." R4 DVD. It seems that our "Finding Nemo" is also going to be as good as the american release (it won't have the fullscreen version, but who cares?). Can't wait! :)[/quote]
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

Joe Carioca wrote:
ThiagoPE wrote:You is a smart guy! (and rich too! if i had 200 reais, i also want this version to, but woh the money are short, i need to "hold" ou 50 reais version.
Hey, Thiago, I wish I was! :)
hehehehe.

This R1 version is really worth for us? it just have tre drawings or have somethings else?
Joe Carioca wrote:
ThiagoPE wrote:Im sending to you a PM with a e-mail that i wrote to the girl that write the brazilian subtitles in the brazilian dvd, read that and tell me your opinions.
I've just read your message, and I will contact you later (now it is too late), so we can chat more about Disney. Still, even with the problems, I'm quite happy with the Brazilian release of TLK... I mean, we got a DTS track (a first for a Brazilian DVD) and all the extras from the second disc are subtitled, and not dubbed (as far as I've read), like the infamous "Monsters, Inc." R4 DVD. It seems that our "Finding Nemo" is also going to be as good as the american release (it won't have the fullscreen version, but who cares?). Can't wait! :)
These are really something new in ours releases, but the authoring problems in our version (all avoidable) make this dvd loses a lot!

I expecting our "finding nemo" may have "a perfect authoring".

Thiago
Joe Carioca
Collector's Edition

Post by Joe Carioca »

ThiagoPE wrote:This R1 version is really worth for us? it just have tre drawings or have somethings else?
It has nine character portrait drawings, signed by the original supervisor animators (which can be see here: http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?temai ... roid=97427). It also comes with a "DVD Companion book", 160 pages. While I'm glad I bought the set (liked the drawings a lot and the packaging is very fancy), I must admit the book didn't blow me away (it was somewhat disapointing, actually). You can read my comments (in Portuguese) here: http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1066693226
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

Joe Carioca wrote:
ThiagoPE wrote:This R1 version is really worth for us? it just have tre drawings or have somethings else?
It has nine character portrait drawings, signed by the original supervisor animators (which can be see here: http://miarroba.com/foros/ver.php?temai ... roid=97427). It also comes with a "DVD Companion book", 160 pages. While I'm glad I bought the set (liked the drawings a lot and the packaging is very fancy), I must admit the book didn't blow me away (it was somewhat disapointing, actually). You can read my comments (in Portuguese) here: http://www.network54.com/Hide/Forum/mes ... 1066693226
I´ve read your coments and i want to share with you my feelings of deception with the lion king dvd.

I simply don´t have ANYTHING to disagree with you in your comment, all thing you said like the possibility of having a third dvd (i insist, the command angle already was enough for we watch the movie in it original release/format, i have some basic knowledge in dvd authoring) or the "too complicated" menus, all of these thing makes this dvd loses a lot.

I like your lasts 2 paragraphs, mainly when you said: "O problema é que, para quem era para ser “o rei de todos os DVDs”, ele tropeça feio no meio do caminho."
Unfortunatedly it is truth and if you saw the brazilian edition you will become more dissapointed because the braziliam team of authoring don´t have a "special care" with this dvd and it was released with a lot of problems in the menus and subtitling.

Now we will need to wait anothe 5 or more year to have an "decent release" of the lion king.

Thiago
PheR
Special Edition

Post by PheR »

ThiagoPE wrote:there which track are in dts? the english or the spanish track? here is the english track).
yep, same here...

it´s great that you like mexican dubbings, some of them are really great, Walt Disney himself once said some dubbings were better than the original ones!!
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

PheR wrote:
ThiagoPE wrote:there which track are in dts? the english or the spanish track? here is the english track).
yep, same here...

it´s great that you like mexican dubbings, some of them are really great, Walt Disney himself once said some dubbings were better than the original ones!!
yep!

brazilians and mexican dubbings are great.

(unfortunatedly it don´t apply to all movies! ate least here in brazil)

Thiago
ThiagoPE
The Lion King

Post by ThiagoPE »

Guys:

Im posting here this letter i wrote to the brazilian disney to show the problems in the brazilian edition of the dvd. It are in portuguese and if some want to know i will make a littles tranlation of the problems:
1: They don´t subtitles the music morning report in portuguese.
2: The subtiles shown in the screen is not the subtitles for that sequence (a delay happen)
3: the font of the subtitling cahnge a lot of times during the movie.
4: Some menus has been wrote in portugal portuguese or in spanish in our version.

I expect the disney brazil have more attention with it releases here.

Thiago
Thiago Medeiros wrote:Olá

Estou passando aqui meu relatório de falhas no dvd do rei leão, tomei a liberdade de tirar algumas fotos da minha tv para mostar as falhas, pena que algumas, como a da sincronia da legenda so da para ver na tv com o som.

Admito que me espanta essas falhas terem sido aprovadas pelo controle de qualidade da disney.

Falha 1: Aonde esta a legenda (2 - portugues) durante a musica "morning report"/"relatorio matinal"? ela simplesmente não legenda a musica. essa sim, foi ao meu ver uma falha gravissima.
A legendas simplesmente somem nesta sequência.

Falha 2: Falta de sincronia e erro de transcrição nas legendas das musicas: No final da musica "can you fell the love tonight"/ "esta noite o amor chegou" a legenda (5- portugues) simplesmente se "perde" no filme, legendando os dialogos que ainda seriam dito pelos presonagens. esse tambe foi uma falha chocante. Outra falha que detectei eh que essa legenda da musica, que, teoricamente, deveria ser a transcrição do que os personagens falam, sviram textos que agente não sabe da onde o opreador de legendas foi tirar aquele dialogo. um exemplo eh a musica "hula!", a legenda escreve um texto que não se ve nem na traducao original do filme nem no som dublado... fica algo realmente esquisito.
A legenda, apesar de estar com o texto certo, perdeu a sincronia com o filme.

E aqui acontece o contrario, a legenda esta com sincronia certa, mas o texto que esta escrito não eh o que esta no filme.

Falha 3: NUNCA VI ISSO: na versão especial, o filme começa a legenda (2- portugues) com uma fonte, e apos a musica "morning report"/"relatorio matinal" ela muda a fonte para outra. bom, nada de grave aqui, mas acho que não fica legal, nem eh correto você modificar a fonte da legenda do filme durante o filme, alias ate hoje foi a primeira vez que vi isso na historia do dvd ou vhs. Essa falha se repete na legenda 5 (portugues) apos a musica "hakuna matata" as legendas mudam de fonte.

As legendas mudam de fonte apos a musica morning report.

Veja que a legenda tambem muda de fonte neste caso.

Falha 4: Disco 2: Existe um menu neste disco que simplesmente foi deixado em espanhol! (menu america do norte, cidade burbank) outro erro gravíssimo de autoração. Ja no disco 1, a introdução do jogo do timon e pumbaa foi escrito em portugues de portugal! não vou nem comentar essa falha.

Pelo amor de deus! essa foi a gota dágua.

Menu em espanhol na versão portuguesa?

Vamo ver né se dá pra corrigir essa falhas.

Grato

Thiago Medeiros