The Lion King DVD Press Release

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

The big black box itself is the slipsleeve case. Slipsleeve is a cardboard casing that the content slips in and out of - think of the slipsleeve cases for video tapes (as opposed to the hinged, plastic clamshell cases). From the picture it looks like the sketches are rolled up into that one black case, then the bare book and dvd, all line up to fit in the big black box. It's truly a wonderful box set, if I do say so myself. :)
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Re: slipcase

Post by Starion »

Ok, thanks for the info Paka. I think I have a VHS tape with a slipsleeve case.

I thought the box would have flaps like most boxes. The boxed set is really nice. Hopefully Disney's Lion King site will include information on the Collector's Gift Boxed set soon.

Later
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Larger Collector's Gift set picture

Post by Starion »

There's a good picture of the Lion King Collector's Gift set is at:
http://disney.store.go.com/Images/I-Cat ... 9342_Z.jpg

Apparently, the DVD case isn't an Amaray case. It looks like Roger Rabbit's Vista Series case.
Doug
Limited Issue

Post by Doug »

I sure hope they don't roll the character sketches up inside those tubes. They would be even more useless than if they were flat :roll: . Think about it, unless the prints are a lot bigger than what it looks like from the pictures there is absolutely no reason to do this.

Also, for what it's worth, I feel that Disney is trying awfully hard to make it look like this collector's edidtion is something more special than it is. Let me say that The Lion King is hands down my favorite Disney movie and I can't wait for the DVD. But there is no way I'm paying double for a book and some pictures. I want the DVDs. Yes the collector's edition packaging looks pretty sweet, but the DVDs are still the same. I'll buy the regualar platinum edidtion at Best buy for $16.99 on Tuesday October 7th.
Ariel

Post by Ariel »

Starion wrote:There's a good picture of the Lion King Collector's Gift set is at:

Apparently, the DVD case isn't an Amaray case. It looks like Roger Rabbit's Vista Series case.
Actually it looks like an Amaray with an identical cardboard slipcover just like BatB.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0000 ... ZZZZZZ.jpg
this pic looks like the amaray. See how the artwork corners are rounded?
this pic looks like the slipcover like BatB. BatB opens like that as well.
Luke
Site Admin

Post by Luke »

I believe Ariel (who isn't REALLY a newbie :)) is right, that it's just a cover a la Beauty and the Beast.

Here's the Disney Store pic for those who don't want to click the link:

Ariel

Post by Ariel »

:D Thanks Luke! Nope not really a newbie. But I still have to set up my avatar.
Paka
Anniversary Edition

Post by Paka »

Actually, the older Gift Set picture had the dvd in a double ALPHApak case, just like Snow White's PE case. Beauty and the Beast's and the Lion King's case in the latest Disney Store pic are both double Amarays with a paperboard slipcover. Double Amarays are the thin keep cases with an extra flap inset for the second disc - while double ALPHApaks are those chunky booklike keep cases that have the first disc in the front, then a divider, then the second disc. The only double ALPHApaks I've seen lately were in the second wave of the Walt Disney Treasures. Double Amarays are prolly preferred over ALPHApaks because they're thinner and cheaper, but that's just speculation on my part. :)
Last I heard, ALPHApak was going out of business - Amaray has taken over so completely. :shock:

Doug - Yeah, it doesn't seem like much of a bonus, does it? That book will prolly end up being a miniturized "Art of The Lion King" book - and I'd much rather have that in its original coffee table size. Still, I like going whole hog on my dvds - if I can see the point in getting them. I didn't get the Fellowship Gift Set because I didn't care about the bookends nor the National Geographic documentary - it wasn't really all that, imo. I was perfectly satisfied with just the Extended Edition dvd.
But I do have an interest in this set - 'cause gawsh darn, it's just so sophistimacated-lookin'! LOL
Now that I'm content with knowing that the better cover art will be on the dvd in the set, I'm now under the dilemma of buying it cheap with Trivia Nickels and Share the Love through Amazon - or preordering it at the Disney Store to get the lithos? I've never cared about lithographs before - but The Lion King is a much-beloved film to me - as it is to about 400 million other people, but hey. :P I like to collect some TLK things here and there, so I have an interest in the lithos for once. So I guess I'll just sacrifice the extra few dollars and preorder from the DS. Hehe...
Life often leaves us standing bare, naked and dejected with a lost opportunity. Over the bleached bones and jumbled residues of numerous civilizations are written the pathetic words: "Too late."

~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Restoration

Post by Starion »

"Spirited Away" comes in a double Amaray Case. It seems that thick double Alpha Packs aren't popular with other distribution companies.

I did watch the Lion King Special Edition trailer on the "Spirited Away" DVD. It seems that Disney just copied video from their VHS tape to the DVD without doing any restoration. The audio sounded fine on my 5.1 Dolby Digital system, but I didn't notice any deep bass. I did notice some dirt and odd black spots in the trailer. The background looked fuzzy and slightly out of focus. The colors looked a bit washed out. The lines on the characters looked light and akward.
All of my THX movies don't have this problem, but most of my non THX movies do. I believe that the color looks washed out because they haven't been digitally restored? I'd appreciate any information about the restoration. How was the restoration for Snow White and Beauty and the Beast?

I'm hoping that Disney has done a wonderful and top-notch job cleaning up the Lion King video for the Special Edition DVD.
I can't wait to hear the 5.1 Dolby Digital track in October.

Lilo and Stitch has a Lion King inter-stitchal. Both the video and audio are fantastic. Hopefully, the DVD will look and sound as good as this trailer. Of course, the DVD wil be in 1.66 : 1 instead of 1.33 : 1 aspect ratio.

Edit: I forgot something.

Thanks Ariel for the information about Beauty and the Beast's case. I didn't know the case opened like a book.

I was watching some Imax trailers at
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/l/lionking.php and noticed that the video is quite sharp. Hmm, it seems that Disney did copy make the Special Edition trailer from the VHS tape. The artifacts I saw were probably the result of compressing the trailer into the Quicktime movie format.

comingsoon.net mixed the two trailer titles. The Lion King Montage is at the top, not "The Circle of Life". Opps.
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jake Lipson »

When I saw The Lion King on IMAX, it looked the best I've ever seen it, period (and I've seen it several times in several mediums.) Let me assure you, if the DVD looks half as good as it did on the giant screen, we'll be in for a treat come October 7. I couldn't see a single problem with the film quality, and believe me, I looked (having the movie memorized helps you be able to notice the little details.) The edits weren't jarring, either (though they were notecable, especially the removal of the S-E-X dust. Then again, I was looking.)
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I have to wonder what the UK edition will be like. Cause I want the one with the book and the prints, but I'm not wanting to shell out all the money on preordering at the US Disney Store to get all the free stuff (which I always do in this country).

I wonder if they'll re-release Lion King 2 with the missing scenes? Now THAT would be something!
Starion
Anniversary Edition

re: restoration

Post by Starion »

Jake Lipson wrote:When I saw The Lion King on IMAX, it looked the best I've ever seen it, period (and I've seen it several times in several mediums.) Let me assure you, if the DVD looks half as good as it did on the giant screen, we'll be in for a treat come October 7. I couldn't see a single problem with the film quality, and believe me, I looked (having the movie memorized helps you be able to notice the little details.)

I compared the video on the laser disc to the Imax trailers and noticed that the video on the laserdisc looks a bit soft. The edges where the characters meet the background look faded too. The screenshots on Disney's Lion King Imax page look great!

Now I need to figure out what a "digital picture" and "Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix" are. So, the Imax version isn't in digital format?

Thanks for the info Jake. I hope I can pre-order the Collector's Gift box set with the lithographs, plush toys and pins too.

Later
Jake Lipson
Anniversary Edition

Re: re: restoration

Post by Jake Lipson »

Starion wrote: Now I need to figure out what a "digital picture" and "Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix" are. So, the Imax version isn't in digital format?
Digital picture means that they have the files stored on a computer somewhere and they transfer those digital files to DVD as opposed to transfering film to DVD. All of the Disney animated classic releases since they started using the CAPS system have been digital-to-digital transfers on DVD, I think; I believe restored prints of older films are now stored and transferred digitally, too. In fact, A Bug's Life was the first DVD in history mastered directly from the digital source. I think this process results in great transfers free of grain, film dirt, etc. that they otherwise would contain if transferred to disc from film.

Disney's Enhanced Home Theater Mix is something they've invented, I think. Quoting the press release:
A Disney innovation! All-new 5.1 Disney Enhanced Home Theater mix engineered by Academy Award Nominated Re-recording Mixer, Terry Porter, to create a more dynamic and spatially enhanced audio-sensory experience. Designed specifically for home theater systems.
Your guess is as good as mine on that one. I wonder what was wrong with the IMAX remix and why they couldn't just use it, that one rocked.
<a href=http://jakelipson.dvdaf.com/owned/ target=blank>My modest collection of little silver movie discss</a>
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Re: re: restoration

Post by Starion »

Jake Lipson wrote:Digital picture means that they have the files stored on a computer somewhere and they transfer those digital files to DVD as opposed to transfering film to DVD.
Ok, thanks for the info again. I remember reading that Disney already transfered the film from tape to CD. I don't think they restored the film when they transfered the data.

It will be interesting to see how different the two Engish Dolby Digital 5.1 tracks are.

Later
Eeyore
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Eeyore »

New info on features extras etc for LK posted today at http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Eeyore wrote:New info on features extras etc for LK posted today at http://www.thedigitalbits.com/rumormill.html
Yeah,

The disc, which has been in production for well over a year now, will include new interviews with Elton John and Tim Rice. You'll get a look at several deleted scenes, in the form of original storyboards, which were never fully completed. The discs' animated menus reportedly feature both new traditional cell and CG animation. The character of Zazu hosts the menus on Disc One, for example, and explains what you'll find on the disc. Using the latest digital technology, the filmmakers have apparently restored and "added more detail" to the image, to bring more clarity and vibrancy to the film. In addition, a special Enhanced Home Theater sound mix has been created for the first time on this DVD release, that is specially designed to "envelop the listener in the sound" and enhance the emotional impact of the film. You will be able to choose to view either the original theatrical version of the film or the new special edition version (with the new musical number, Morning Report, created by the original filmmakers). And, for BOTH versions of the film, you will be able to choose to listen to either the original theatrical audio, or the new Enhanced Home Theater mix.
jesus_brer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jesus_brer »

i thought that batb was a good dvd and i hope that the lion knig will be better.
*i love Jesus
*i love disney dvds
*i love my peeps
*i love me

DISNEY DVD's
songofthesouth.net {get this classic on dvd}
Jenwood

Post by Jenwood »

My favorite Disney movie and I have been so excited ever since I heard they were to release it on DVD. Thanks for the press release! None of the songs are a surprise to me. The Morning Report is on my broadway musical Lion King CD. I agree Doug and I only want the DVD as well. I don't know if I can wait until October though. Usually by then, my luck has run out and the store has already sold out! I have yet to see this movie at IMAX, as I don't have a theater close by me. :cry:
~Jenwood~

"I think it's time that you and I arranged a heart-to-heart..."
Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

I hope I can pick up the Collector's Gift Box set between October 7 and 10. I would pre-order it, but I don't have a credit card.

Here's a picture from Kmart http://music.bluelight.com/movie_detail ... 6936225419

Starion
Anniversary Edition

Post by Starion »

Le Roi Lion: Special Edition
Sortie: 7 Octobre, 2003

According to Amazon.de, the DVD will be out in Germany on October 23. Yay!

http://www.amazon.de/exec/obidos/ASIN/B ... 19-0633314